Charlie McNeill promoted to first team

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Not the tallest, but if he can physically handle the mens league game then it will be a boon for us if he can bang in a few goals and link up with the feds we'll enough.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Hopefully Kambwala is next. We could also use a CB talent from time to time.
At one point we had excellent CBs coming through it felt. The likes of cathcart, shawcross, Evans, pique and a few more.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
At one point we had excellent CBs coming through it felt. The likes of cathcart, shawcross, Evans, pique and a few more.
Club have to keep trying, no matter what. Greenwood was almost a full success despite recent thing, Lingard came through and peaked in 16/17, Garnacho is fearless so far...

For lack of scouting & negotiating solutions, this one seems like natural and only one so far.

Jam

Doesn’t the title say he was promoted into the first team? Or has he been relegated again?
A bit of semantics really. While he is technically in the first team, and will regularly train with them, he’s still a part of the reserve set up as far as I know.

Generally young players have a bridge period. They’ll be “promoted” to the first team, but instead of just training with the first team but not actively involved in game plans / not getting so much as a sniff of minutes, they’ll spend times training with the first team and be gradually blooded but also still be a part of the reserve set up. You’d pretty much stall development if you took all actual game time off the hands of someone who isn’t actually ready for proper first team duties yet, but is still ready to be involved in the set up.

I think a good general plan is excel in youth set-ups, having a bridge season to blood them and maybe get some minutes here and there and to understand the first team procedures, roles, reality and then spend a season or two on loan somewhere. Loans are a good chance for a regular step up to the adult game, bigger stage and also moving away and developing as a person.

Obviously not one size fits all, you get some like Greenwood who immediately go to the first team, some others might be ready for a loan before a bridge season, or whatever permutation.

kettledrumhamster

Apparently we're going to let him out on loan to the Championship, so must think he's physically ready for first-team football. For the life of me I can't understand why we wouldn't just give him a shot against Charlton or coming off the bench in other games. Surely fans would prefer it than some 30 year old from the Saudi or Turkish league? I don't get it - if money's tight, what have you got to lose by giving youth a chance? Some might already rule him out as not being good enough, but football's funny - sometimes people are much better surrounded by better players than would've been assumed otherwise. I'm guessing that'd be the hope for someone like Weighorst, so why not try it with McNeil?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's way behind other CBs in our academy. He's too good for the 18s, but lost a lot of development through injury.
I'm not even sure he's too good for the U18s at the moment.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Apparently we're going to let him out on loan to the Championship, so must think he's physically ready for first-team football. For the life of me I can't understand why we wouldn't just give him a shot against Charlton or coming off the bench in other games. Surely fans would prefer it than some 30 year old from the Saudi or Turkish league? I don't get it - if money's tight, what have you got to lose by giving youth a chance? Some might already rule him out as not being good enough, but football's funny - sometimes people are much better surrounded by better players than would've been assumed otherwise. I'm guessing that'd be the hope for someone like Weighorst, so why not try it with McNeil?
He’s out of his depth at u21s level and has been getting dominated by 17 year olds. He’s not getting anywhere near a pitch in the Championship.

I don’t get why you’d want to play someone on the first team when they are consistently anonymous and the worst player on the pitch at u21s level. It’s pretty clear why you wouldn’t do that.

georgipep

Did you watch our December friendlies in Spain? McNeill was completely lost on the field among adult players. He is nowhere near ready to be a Manchester United player.

Flexdegea

So play a young no where near ready yet physically undeveloped player, in a role that he ain't suited for and what the manager is looking of his central forward, just because and for the sake of it?

Mr PG

Sometimes it's simply a mental block. Ten Hag must have felt there was something there worth exploring. The more he plays with men the more he expresses himself we'll eventually be able to access his real level.

Demaw

We might be able to get back the 1.25 million we celebrated as taking him off City. :( Him and Hugill are pretty ordinary. Seems like all the kids we sign from other clubs, currently and Logan Pye and Sam Murray at left back too. Never seen anything in Jurado.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sometimes it's simply a mental block. Ten Hag must have felt there was something there worth exploring. The more he plays with men the more he expresses himself we'll eventually be able to access his real level.
I think it was more a case of not having any other options upfront so McNeill got a first team chance earlier than expected but he did not show anything to suggest he's ready for it

In fact he's -barely managing to hold down a starting spot in the U21s lately