Charlie McNeill promoted to first team

wangyu

Because you're a United fan?
There are levels I guess. I am only interested in the first team. My interest expands when lots of youngsters get integrated but that hasn’t been the case in 30 years. There are 1 maybe 2 players each season but most of them I find not good enough to play for the first team.

Believe it or not though, I’d prefer utd to use more of the youth setup but as long as there is (too) much money that will never happen.

pascell

Throwing in random youngsters like Garnacho and McNeil did not help us getting a result. Ten Hag looked clueless from the moment he took off Eriksen
We brought on every attack minded player we could to try and grab a point, what did you expect ten Hag to do ffs?

wangyu

We brought on every attack minded player we could to try and grab a point, what did you expect ten Hag to do ffs?
not taking off Eriksen would have helped (unless he was injured, I don’t know about these things, I only watch games, no interviews pre or post match)

Red00012

not taking off Eriksen would have helped (unless he was injured, I don’t know about these things, I only watch games, no interviews pre or post match)
Pretty sure the plan was to give Dalot and Eriksen 45 mins regardless of the state of the game

MileStolar

I don’t get it, should I feel offended if someone called me random?
Well it is a bit rude to disrespect people by calling them random which can be a synonym for unimportant. Whether you should feel offended is your personal thing and I cannot tell you how you should feel. Take care

Remember the geese

There are levels I guess. I am only interested in the first team. My interest expands when lots of youngsters get integrated but that hasn’t been the case in 30 years. There are 1 maybe 2 players each season but most of them I find not good enough to play for the first team.

Believe it or not though, I’d prefer utd to use more of the youth setup but as long as there is (too) much money that will never happen.
Very unrealistic expectations. I can't imagine your interest will peak anytime soon.

Joseunited

No I don’t know them, why would or should I know them? I heard about Garnacho but I never saw him play, McNeil was a complete unknown.
I wouldn’t rely on 2 teenagers with zero experience at this level to try to turn around a game that was completely dead at that stage. For me it felt like he threw in the towel. In the grand scheme it probably doesn’t matter as I expect utd to finish second either way but for me Ten Hag had a bad game.
:houllier:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Throwing in random youngsters like Garnacho and McNeil did not help us getting a result. Ten Hag looked clueless from the moment he took off Eriksen
They’re not random. They’re both very good young players who Ten Hag has brought into first team training. A very good left winger who can beat a man, cross, cut inside, shoot and every time he gets legged, just gets up again… and “a 9” who puts away chances for fun.

Obviously a big step up but with a limited number of attacking players and losing, ETH probably thought worth a try… if nothing else, fresh legs. Also good for them to get exposure to first team games... I‘d have put them both on earlier actually.

The1974s

The complete lack of football knowledge on this website is actually hilarious.. Anyone who knows United should know Charlie Mcneils story. The boy was an absolute goal machine going through all ages at City but wanted to join United as he's a United fan . He's a talent and hopefully with some 1st team exposure he will score goals at that level..
He's one we have been hopeful of for a while now

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The complete lack of football knowledge on this website is actually hilarious.. Anyone who knows United should know Charlie Mcneils story. The boy was an absolute goal machine going through all ages at City but wanted to join United as he's a United fan . He's a talent and hopefully with some 1st team exposure he will score goals at that level..
Most of us know his back story so to tar us all with the sane brush is harsh

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'd be really pleased to see him and Garnacho get some minutes.

They need the time and space to experience football at this level so patience is key.

I'd love to see every player come in and hit the ground running...that being said that isn't always a guarantee. Look at Adnan, Macheda and Wilson.

If they pick up 20 minutes in Europe etc then great. Like to see them start in The League Cup too obviously.

The1974s

Most of us know his back story so to tar us all with the sane brush is harsh

For you to take it personally when you know the story is silly .
Its directed at the ones who are on here preaching yet don't know anything about young players like him.
I stand by what I said there is a real lack of knowledge on here but I suppose that comes from Internet fans more than people like yourself

Oldyella

Yes, because one person wasn't aware of him. Totally not an overreaction.

captaincantona

How has knowing Charlie McNeills backstory got anything to do with footballing knowledge? Weird comment.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Started with United before City.. came back

Real Name

I heard the story, came back when I saw him play, but does that mean I have a knowledge about football or not?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For you to take it personally when you know the story is silly .
Its directed at the ones who are on here preaching yet don't know anything about young players like him.
I stand by what I said there is a real lack of knowledge on here but I suppose that comes from Internet fans more than people like yourself
As a long term admin, I will always take umbrage at people insinuating that the entire forum is full of dummies. I also take umbrage on behalf of the majority of posters, many of whom are very knowledgeable on all things United and otherwise.
yes there are one or 2 not very clued in people but that’s ok, not everyone has to be an expert. A bit of respect please for fellow fans

Sir Erik ten Hag

Would be nice if he sees Haaland as his big rival.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
How has Hugill been lately? I remember him being preferred to McNeill when they first came in.

SoCross

What an entertaining read this thread is!

McNeill - really hope he's given more chances - the forward position at first team level has the lowest depth, possibly the best route in for a youngster to get some valuable game time with us.

OldRed1

Did you know he was with United as a schoolboy before he was with City and that's all part of his story.

Red00012

Was he injured ?
He only came on as a sub for Tom Huddlestone tonight in the 60th minute for u21’s

dinostar77

Anyone been watching him in reserves? Ready for the step up to first team and support rashford and martial?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Shame, we could definitely do with someone on the cusp of breaking through. What about the other young striker that we have high hopes for?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Shame, we could definitely do with someone on the cusp of breaking through. What about the other young striker that we have high hopes for?
He's barely played this season.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
What happened to Hugill? Last time I watched the youth he looked better than Mcneill.

Remember the geese

Bit didnt he join with a huge reputation?
Yeah he did. He also scored a lot of goals for us at under 18 level in his first season. This didn't help with the hype. If you looked past his goal contributions however, he didn't look a particularly special talent. Certainly in comparison to Greenwood, which was the common thing to do at that time. Since then he has really struggled at under 21/23 level.