Charlie McNeill | on loan to Stevenage

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

Can someone move this to reserve forum please.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

pretty sure he was one of their best two players in that group. The other is going to Germany/Austria i believe?

SAFMUTD

Doesnt make sense, if he's so good why cant he get minutes in the U18?

jb8521

Doesnt make sense, if he's so good why cant he get minutes in the U18?
He got minutes for their u18s while still u15. He wasn't getting minutes this season because he hadn't agreed his scholarship.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I reckon there have been more United graduates that were at City at some point more than any other club. A whole bunch from Fergies era. Happens less frequently these days as teams keep better tabs on the young players but still not surprising.

Also look at the number of City academy players that go on to play for the first team compare to United. Even if you might not be good enough for either team you're more likely to get a moment in the spotlight. Plus United have always been adamant of helping their graduates at getting good deals elsewhere if they are moved on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is he considered a Foden, Sancho level talent?

Also if possible can you please move this thread to the reserves/youth @Damien cheers.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He moved to City as a 10 year old from United according to what I read from a discussion between City fans online.

In Rainbows

Looks like even before he was rumored to doing pro United social media stuff since like 2 years ago.

Post from Bluemoon forum
I don't personally see it like that. I believe the U18 & U23 are very well balanced in terms of personnel and Rotation.

In McNeil's case, He's a Man Utd fan(joined us from their Academy, cause of superior coaching and facilities probably).

He's a Brilliant striker, but is small in size(~1.7m) and frame. Turned 16 in September, and seemed to have been ear marked to complete the season with the U16. He made his first start for the U18 around dec-Jan ish? And a couple of 10 mins subs apps only.

My guess maybe he wanted to be involved with the U18 quicker and on a more consistent basis. Considering we had Bobb & Alex Robertson, both 16 and diminutive too, playing U18 since start of season.

Next season our U23 will retain no players from the 19/20 season, which leaves us with McNeil and Delap as our only strikers for the U18 & U23.

That is why we are in the Market for Luka Reischl. He's 1.84m tall, so despite bieng 16, he would be able to handle rotating between the U18 & U23 as required, unlike McNeil for who this would be too soon.

So I guess it's a combination of all these things that made him feel undervalued, and the fact that he doesn't support City made the choice easier I guess.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Below is from a piece by the outlet goal on City's best youth players from 2 years ago and they describe him as a tall player.

"McNeill is just 14 but has been making a name for himself in the City academy for the past few years.

The tall forward has proven to be impressive with both feet and has scored a bagful of goals at all junior levels: 110 goals and 38 assists in 72 games for City's U15s and England's U16s.

Those familiar with the City youth set-up believe he is one of the best prospects of any age group and is definitely one to keep an eye on in the coming years"

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/bra...-have-other-teenage/1bmshp9pnvgu1uxvmh8u0llrq

Beaucoup

Below is from a piece by the outlet goal on City's best youth players from 2 years ago and they describe him as a tall player.

"McNeill is just 14 but has been making a name for himself in the City academy for the past few years.

The tall forward has proven to be impressive with both feet and has scored a bagful of goals at all junior levels: 110 goals and 38 assists in 72 games for City's U15s and England's U16s.

Those familiar with the City youth set-up believe he is one of the best prospects of any age group and is definitely one to keep an eye on in the coming years"

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/bra...-have-other-teenage/1bmshp9pnvgu1uxvmh8u0llrq
My lads played against him a few times over the years and he was always massive for his age group.

In Rainbows

My lads played against him a few times over the years and he was always massive for his age group.
Yeah, on bluemoon it was stated that he was pretty tall for his age group, so he played above his age group. Looks like everyone else surpassed him in height.

From a quick Google I came across this article which includes a pic - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-st-bedes-news-11311766

Looking at the size of him I'm not surprised he's banging them in. When I played for a School of Excellence there was a lad who scored 60 a season until the age of 15/16. That was when it all started to even out and his height wasn't such an advantage.

For a 12 year old he looks pretty tall to me and you can't judge him until others catch up physically.

Although it might be he is *that* good and they'll move him up the age groups due to his ability and physical advantage.
He's played 2 years above his age already,coped ok.....England are all over him at the minute,don't think they start internationals till 15(?).
Last season's goal tally came in at 106.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe we can move him first as no 10 and then as a midfielder as we did with Scholes.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So that's him and Ohio who left United to join City, have now decided to leave their academy obviously in addition to the likes of Diaz, Sancho etc. So much so for the ridiculous hype that City's academy was getting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...bal-scouting-mission-pays-off-with-mind-blow/

This article is hilarious. Mentions a lot of City's youngsters and doesn't name Foden as one of them and this excerpt is amazing.

"The big question at City is whether youngsters will be given the opportunity in the first team, although the impending arrival of Pep Guardiola, a champion of youth, will doubtless help with that."

Beaucoup

So that's him and Ohio who left United to join City, have now decided to leave their academy obviously in addition to the likes of Diaz, Sancho etc. So much so for the ridiculous hype that City's academy was getting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...bal-scouting-mission-pays-off-with-mind-blow/

This article is hilarious. Mentions a lot of City's youngsters and doesn't name Foden as one of them and this excerpt is amazing.

"The big question at City is whether youngsters will be given the opportunity in the first team, although the impending arrival of Pep Guardiola, a champion of youth, will doubtless help with that."
To be fair it's not just City that young players are leaving to find first team football and to be honest I like their ambition. I've seen our 23's happy to turn up year after year in their expensive sports cars, knowing full well they haven't got a hope in hell in getting anywhere near the first team. It's something I will definitely consider for my own lad.

pascell

To be fair it's not just City that young players are leaving to find first team football and to be honest I like their ambition. I've seen our 23's happy to turn up year after year in their expensive sports cars, knowing full well they haven't got a hope in hell in getting anywhere near the first team. It's something I will definitely consider for my own lad.
Regarding the part in bold, we've seen it recently with Angel Gomes and many have wondered why he'd want to leave but you have to praise their ambition in leaving United, RoShaun Williams also did the same and moved down the leagues with Shrewsbury.

I didn't know you had a son playing for United youth groups, what's your experience of coaches, facilities etc been so far?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There's nothing wrong with players leaving for the sake of their own career, but all the investment and media publicity in the academy hasn't really paid off for them much considering only Foden is their "graduate" whilst we have had the likes of McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams in the same time.

Classical Mechanic

It's always really been about increasing turnover for them for FFP. They've made a lot of money trading young players.

SteveW

There's nothing wrong with players leaving for the sake of their own career, but all the investment and media publicity in the academy hasn't really paid off for them much considering only Foden is their "graduate" whilst we have had the likes of McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams in the same time.
Absolutely. Foden and Sancho are the two shining lights to come from their academy in recent years and both are examples why its probably better to leave.

In Rainbows

Absolutely. Foden and Sancho are the two shining lights to come from their academy in recent years and both are examples why its probably better to leave.
If they can't field more homegrown players with the recent crop they've had, I would leave too. Foden, Sancho, Doyle, Delap, Palmer, etc... and you don't do it? I would leave. There's still time though, and Foden has been featured as has HB, and Garcia. Doyle has featured on the bench. Time will tell.

I think if City do get Aouar, then if I were them, I would leave.

SteveW

If they can't field more homegrown players with the recent crop they've had, I would leave too. Foden, Sancho, Doyle, Delap, Palmer, etc... and you don't do it? I would leave. There's still time though, and Foden has been featured as has HB, and Garcia. Doyle has featured on the bench. Time will tell.

I think if City do get Aouar, then if I were them, I would leave.
Absolutely. With nothing to play for they would have been throwing them in recently if their development was a real priority. If United were in that position you can be sure the likes Laird, Mengi and Garner would have got minutes.

Beaucoup

Regarding the part in bold, we've seen it recently with Angel Gomes and many have wondered why he'd want to leave but you have to praise their ambition in leaving United, RoShaun Williams also did the same and moved down the leagues with Shrewsbury.

I didn't know you had a son playing for United youth groups, what's your experience of coaches, facilities etc been so far?
Facilities and life experience has been fantastic. Coaching is very poor, still stuck in the dark ages unfortunately, However, things do seem to changing, albeit very slowly.

pascell

Facilities and life experience has been fantastic. Coaching is very poor, still stuck in the dark ages unfortunately, However, things do seem to changing, albeit very slowly.
I'm glad about the first part, especially the life experience, I bet it's a great and proud feeling having a part of the family playing in some capacity at United, good luck to your son on his journey!

It's also a bit shame about the coaching, I'd have thought that's one of the aspects we got right during the time the academy was under scrutiny and City were building their facilities etc. Hopefully this is something that's addressed sooner rather than later.