Charlie McNeill | on loan to Stevenage

RedDF

I reckon he should be on the bench today with Ronaldo and Cavani missing

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
For some reason this kid is a main story on the current home page of SportBild, his image plastering the site with the caption "This is ManUnited's new super talent - more than 600 youth team goals - snatched from ManCity - fat Adidas deal".

What is going on there?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For some reason this kid is a main story on the current home page of SportBild, his image plastering the site with the caption "This is ManUnited's new super talent - more than 600 youth team goals - snatched from ManCity - fat Adidas deal".

What is going on there?

Not sure, we signed him last season. Used to play for us as a kid, then City nabbed him when they started their aggressive approach to signing youth, then we signed him back at 16 for a small fee.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Has to go out on loan.

Probably in about two seasons he will come back and get good game time.
It's such a difficult one. I agree...but so many of our loans have gone south and arguably have damaged young prospects in the past.

It needs to be really really carefully considered. Last thing we want is him rotting on a bench in league 1.

I'd love to see him, Hannibal and Shoretire get some minutes in late April and into May tbh.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Not sure, we signed him last season. Used to play for us as a kid, then City nabbed him when they started their aggressive approach to signing youth, then we signed him back at 16 for a small fee.
Pretty much this.

City academy really is the best in class in the North so he went there and learned his trade in the best facilities going.

Classical Mechanic

What is going on there?

I’m guessing Adidas have pushed the story in the German press. Opinion is very much split on if he’ll do anything at senior level. He’s certainly not rated as highly as he was when City first nabbed him from us.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I’m guessing Adidas have pushed the story in the German press. Opinion is very much split on if he’ll do anything at senior level. He’s certainly not rated as highly as he was when City first nabbed him from us.
That's possible!

Mylock

Charlie McNeill looks like a fine prospect, an intelligent footballer and a great finisher. He has that cockiness that all good strikers have.
When he joined initially, he didn't seem to work hard enough, but that has changed completely.
Hes the type if he was given a chance he could snap it up can score goals. A lot will depend on who will be the new manager and if they are interested in taking the risk with some of the younger players.
To make it as a striker at OT, you'll need to have the right attitude, and get the luck and break at the right time.

yamo123x

Out and out goalscorer, reminds me at times of Ruud with his finishing...

Defo needs a loan, physically he isn't there yet but he is one for the future

Mickson

Not sure he has any standout qualities that make me think he will make it. Goalscorers at youth level often get overhyped but rarely make it at a high level. I remember Adam Morgan or something like that, Liverpool fans raved about him and I watched him a couple of times, yeah, he scored goals, but that's all he did and I don't even think he plays football now. James Wilson, a brilliant goalscorer and even MORE than that but now plays League Two football. McNeill is a great goalscorer and has improved a little with and without the ball but it can still go a long time in a game where he barely touches the ball and we're talking about U18 level. He is nowhere ready for the first team, and I strongly doubt he will ever be. You need something more to make it. Greenwood was a fantastic goalscorer but also the best player by a country mile on the pitch in almost every game. It's rare that I see a game and think 'Charlie McNeill is the best player out there today'. But yes, in all fairness, a very good goalscorer and has improved his general play. I really hope he makes it.

pascell

Not sure he has any standout qualities that make me think he will make it. Goalscorers at youth level often get overhyped but rarely make it at a high level. I remember Adam Morgan or something like that, Liverpool fans raved about him and I watched him a couple of times, yeah, he scored goals, but that's all he did and I don't even think he plays football now. James Wilson, a brilliant goalscorer and even MORE than that but now plays League Two football. McNeill is a great goalscorer and has improved a little with and without the ball but it can still go a long time in a game where he barely touches the ball and we're talking about U18 level. He is nowhere ready for the first team, and I strongly doubt he will ever be. You need something more to make it. Greenwood was a fantastic goalscorer but also the best player by a country mile on the pitch in almost every game. It's rare that I see a game and think 'Charlie McNeill is the best player out there today'. But yes, in all fairness, a very good goalscorer and has improved his general play. I really hope he makes it.
One that springs to mind who failed to translate youth level performances to first team performances, is Bojan Krkic, albeit having injury problems.

There's always, always attacking players overhyped because of the numbers put up at youth level that fail to adapt to first team football.

Like you say, numbers aren't the be all and end all, it's the overall package that counts the most.

lysglimt

Scout
He has improved his work-rate enormously - that makes me feel there is hope for him. In the first 3-4 months at United, he almost was lazy when he was on the pitch.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He was training with the first team during pre-season, and if this is a recent photo he's still with the first team in training

Any chance he'll actually be viewed as an option if Ronnie's off?

Scholsey2004

He was training with the first team during pre-season, and if this is a recent photo he's still with the first team in training

Any chance he'll actually be viewed as an option if Ronnie's off?
I wouldnt read too much into this. The youth players are regularly rotated into first team training partly to assess if theyre good enough yet but also for the experience of training with senior players and being involved in match preparation. Obviously they make up the numbers in training matches as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wouldnt read too much into this. The youth players are regularly rotated into first team training partly to assess if theyre good enough yet but also for the experience of training with senior players and being involved in match preparation. Obviously they make up the numbers in training matches as well.
Good point. Yeah, was just wondering.

prateik

At least he is getting a chance to impress the manager.. better than nothing

Alemar

Good he got his debut yesterday in Europa league. However, he was invisible all 7-8 minutes he was on the pitch

stealthy

Good he got his debut yesterday in Europa league. However, he was invisible all 7-8 minutes he was on the pitch
frustrating watching and he doesn’t get a single touch, but Tbf to the lad it’s a big step up in level and so to make an impact in limited game time, in a position where patience and capitalising on limited chances is the name of the-game is a ver big ask.
I remember after the youth cup final seeing people calling for the kids to be thrown in thinking most if not all lads in that squad were no where near ready, this only h enhances that belief. The gap is huge and so so difficult to get over.

khoazany

Not sure what you would expect given we had CR upfront on McNeill’s normal position. That sub literally only to give extra man on attack.

Born2Lose

This is what I wanted to see from EtH, fast tracking of promising youngsters and giving them minutes.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
1-0 down, Sociedad sitting more than earlier in game and we made a couple of long balls up. He’s a good player (a clinical finisher, a 9) but there’s not a lot he could do in that situation in that time.

Red00012

Let’s write off another young fella just because he didn’t get on the ball for 8 mins after coming on for his debut. Ronaldo up top next to him and surrounded by 6 defenders .
Yes not good enough get rid :houllier:

Mickson

Can't get a sniff in the U21. He's been terrible this season. I imagine we bought him just to "piss off" City.

KevinJoh

All kids have a spell when they are out of form, or have body issues, growth spurt or something. It is happening with most of the youngsters. They are working hard, but on pitch performances usually have jumps and period when you don't see improvement and period in which they explode. I honestly don't see some extremely huge talent in McNeill, but he is capable to score and now he needs to show that against stronger lads around him. He was good in U18, and did not have some like huge strength advantage to say it is on that, so there is some talent. I hear he is going on loan in January, so that will be good for him to see where he is and what to do to get future in football. I guess League One would be OK for him, maybe even League Two at the moment, just somewhere where he can get minutes.

khoazany

I don't think sending him on loan at this moment (at any level) is a good idea but it's just me.

Bertie Wooster

It's a tricky call with what's best to do with McNeill.

Usually, players go on loan after they've outgrown the U21's and need the test at that next level.

With McNeill, he's struggled to establish himself with the U21's as a regular scorer or even starter. I don't really think either Hugill (due to the time he missed injured) or McNeill are ready to go on an EFL loan and guarantee regular minutes in this window.

Maybe keep both with the U21's for the rest of this season, then look to loan out Hugill for 23/24 and see how well McNeill starts that season with the U21's and make a decision on a loan for him next January? I know that's a year off, but he's still only a teenager and he's still struggling with the step up to the U21's - and there's a big gulf between that and the next step of regular EFL matches.

KevinJoh

It's a tricky call with what's best to do with McNeill.

Usually, players go on loan after they've outgrown the U21's and need the test at that next level.

With McNeill, he's struggled to establish himself with the U21's as a regular scorer or even starter. I don't really think either Hugill (due to the time he missed injured) or McNeill are ready to go on an EFL loan and guarantee regular minutes in this window.

Maybe keep both with the U21's for the rest of this season, then look to loan out Hugill for 23/24 and see how well McNeill starts that season with the U21's and make a decision on a loan for him next January? I know that's a year off, but he's still only a teenager and he's still struggling with the step up to the U21's - and there's a big gulf between that and the next step of regular EFL matches.
I don't agree with this. Main reason is that he is at the age where you need to play and train with adults. At this moment he is training with first team sometimes, but he is not even close to that level so it does him good but the gap is huge and maybe it kills his self confidence. U21 team has like 10 more games this season, and he is on the bench, did not even came as a sub while we are chasing result against West Ham. With Hugill competing for the spot in the first eleven, he will get 5 more games maybe till the end of the season in like 4 months. Can't see any benefit. It would be better I think to get some League One or even League Two loan where he can understand that is his level at the moment (if he can get minutes there at least as sub) and can build on that. Playing and training with players on your level or just above is good sometimes, even better than training against stars when you see they are far away from your current form and state.

Bertie Wooster

I don't agree with this. Main reason is that he is at the age where you need to play and train with adults. At this moment he is training with first team sometimes, but he is not even close to that level so it does him good but the gap is huge and maybe it kills his self confidence. U21 team has like 10 more games this season, and he is on the bench, did not even came as a sub while we are chasing result against West Ham. With Hugill competing for the spot in the first eleven, he will get 5 more games maybe till the end of the season in like 4 months. Can't see any benefit. It would be better I think to get some League One or even League Two loan where he can understand that is his level at the moment (if he can get minutes there at least as sub) and can build on that. Playing and training with players on your level or just above is good sometimes, even better than training against stars when you see they are far away from your current form and state.
Yeah, that's a valid option as well. But could work either way as, like I said, it's a tricky call.

He could easily end up going to a league one or league two club where he struggles for minutes if he doesn't hit the ground running as a young raw loanee at a crucial time of the season.

Don't think that would help his confidence either.

It's a difficult choice but, over the next 12 months, they need to get it right so that he starts developing with game time and goals - whether that's, ideally, a successful loan, or staying with the U21's for a while.

Prodigal7

ETH keeps making references to youth players deserving their call ups to the first team. Maybe that was aimed at McNeill or someone else. Managers are always very deliberate when they make comments like that.