Charlie McNeill | on loan to Stevenage

Sid234

Is he injured or has a loan sorted our? If not, surprised to see him not train w 1st team and make the trip to Oslo

Ace of Spades

It makes a lot of sense if he's no where near the level needed and has no prospect of getting there.
Considering that Hugill is there, I don't see why McNeil should not be there.

And he has decent talent, and is a good finisher. No idea how he will develop, and neither do you.

Connor C

Considering that Hugill is there, I don't see why McNeil should not be there.

And he has decent talent, and is a good finisher. No idea how he will develop, and neither do you.
I’d imagine it was a choice between the two. Not that Hugill is a world class prospect but he’s definitely a better prospect than McNeill and he offers much more than him

Ace of Spades

I’d imagine it was a choice between the two. Not that Hugill is a world class prospect but he’s definitely a better prospect than McNeill and he offers much more than him
Not really, both are about the same, different strengths.

With our lack of options at no.9, don't see why he would not be in the squad. He would at least be able to train irrespective of whether he plays or not. Don't think he was in training at Carrington either. So it is probably an injury.

Mickson

With our lack of options at no.9, don't see why he would not be in the squad. He would at least be able to train irrespective of whether he plays or not. Don't think he was in training at Carrington either. So it is probably an injury.
He's not injured according to our youth ITK. I see your point but he would still need to have some quality to be in the United first-team squad, he can't be there just because he is a striker and IMO he hasn't that quality unfortunately.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not really, both are about the same, different strengths
Not even remotely the same. McNeill has been absolute trash at u21s level and the worst player in every match with a sulky attitude to boot. Hugill on the other hand consistently scores and single handedly saved the u21s from relegation with a goal every 92 minutes. There is a reason McNeill was dropped by the u21s in favour of playing no striker at all.

Ace of Spades

Not even remotely the same. McNeill has been absolute trash at u21s level and the worst player in every match with a sulky attitude to boot. Hugill on the other hand consistently scores and single handedly saved the u21s from relegation with a goal every 92 minutes. There is a reason McNeill was dropped by the u21s in favour of playing no striker at all.
I was replying about talent, and both are meh. In terms of performances, you are right and I don't disagree there. Maybe the attitude issue is worse than I thought.

He's not injured according to our youth ITK. I see your point but he would still need to have some quality to be in the United first-team squad, he can't be there just because he is a striker and IMO he hasn't that quality unfortunately.
You are probably right about that. Still it is weird to not even see him being in training by the looks of it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Hugill’s miles better than McNeill.

KevinJoh

I agree on this. Hugill, although not a huge talent, always find a way to score, make runs, he has that flair in him. He was asset for U21 team in the last 2 years and when you remember he played like 30-40 games and score like 20 goals or something. On the other hand, at the same time, McNeill scored just a few non penalties for U21, although he had also 2-3 seasons with the team. On loan also did not show much. But McNeill has pretty good PR, unfortunately it does not match his quality at least not at the moment. Hopefully he can get better with time, but I can not see him playing for United soon.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
McNeill would struggle at a championship club nevermind at a PL club like Manchester United.

Hugill whilst not great either, puts in the work rate

Beaucoup

McNeill would struggle at a championship club nevermind at a PL club like Manchester United.

Hugill whilst not great either, puts in the work rate
It was rumoured at the time of his transfer, that City didn’t think he would progress and were happy to let him go, sounds like they were correct

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It was rumoured at the time of his transfer, that City didn’t think he would progress and were happy to let him go, sounds like they were correct
What people fail to grasp is how easy it is to score goals as a youth player compared to the adult leagues. He hasn’t got much more to his game other than goals so if he’s not doing that as much anymore, I only see it heading one way. Next stop Salford

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hopefully then city are putting up fight over Fletchers.

Mickson

What people fail to grasp is how easy it is to score goals as a youth player compared to the adult leagues. He hasn’t got much more to his game other than goals so if he’s not doing that as much anymore, I only see it heading one way. Next stop Salford
I remember a player at Liverpool, called Morgan I think, he was the same. He scored plenty and I remember the hype and then I saw him a couple of times against United. It was enough for me to draw the conclusion that he wasn't going to be a star, he only had goals in him and didn't contribute at all to the teamplay. McNeill is a similar player.

Pericles

I remember a player at Liverpool, called Morgan I think, he was the same. He scored plenty and I remember the hype and then I saw him a couple of times against United. It was enough for me to draw the conclusion that he wasn't going to be a star, he only had goals in him and didn't contribute at all to the teamplay. McNeill is a similar player.
Yeah that was Adam Morgan. He was in the youth set up around the same time as Raheem Sterling, Suso, and this Portuguese right winger whose name escapes me.

Demaw

Yes, hundreds of goals as well!! I remember him, not anymore though. Same with McNeill.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What’s happened to this lad? Not in the tour squad, doesn’t seem to be playing in the youth games either. Is he injured or just well and truly out of favour?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think he’s supposed to be sent out on loan and he’s not in the first team plans for this year. Might be the club trying to sort out and see where he can get the most playing time and not risking any injury.

Bigsid

Wow, that's a cracking signing for Boro, hopefully he can perform there.

Evans has them playing some decent stuff so should slot in nicely.
With a goal in 10 in League 2 Newport its a decent move for Mcneil tbf.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Stevenage boss Steve Evans:
I think he's movement in the first half was fantastic. He was running them ragged in different areas. He gets a goal. I said to him at half time that I bet you've never had to work as hard as that as a striker for a team. He just looked at me and smiled, so we knew the answer. We knew that if we got 60 minutes out of him today that'd be incredible, especially from a young man that's literally just joined us and got on the coach, and we gave him a debut.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not sure why he didn't come on for Boro yesterday, bit of a strange decision from Evans.

My young boy went to the game yesterday and met McNeill, he was happy to speak and have his picture taken and stayed chatting to him for a good couple of minutes which is good to hear.

KevinJoh

Not sure what is going on with the kid, but this loan is not good and I guess it is possible that we will recall him in January and move somewhere else. In both loans for now he really did not break through. After scoring on his debut, he just got 2 more games, and after that he is not in the squad, and on the bench every 3rd or 4th game. Not sure if there is injury problem maybe but it is weird as he is on the bench from time to time.