Charlie McNeill | on loan to Stevenage

Ace of Spades

Considering they’ve dragged it out for months and refused to negotiate and forced it to a tribunal it seems they are in fact bothered by us taking a player.
To clarify, I was replying to Dortmund signing Bynoe-Gittens. They are bothered with us signing their players (even though they snapped some of those players from us initially), I meant losing their players to other clubs outside the PL. They don't seem that bothered when players leave for clubs outside the PL.

K Stand Knut

Bynoe-Gittens is England’s best attacking prospect in his age group. Losing him for £1m will be suboptimal to say the least.

Remember the clause they put in Diaz’s contract to financially punish Real if they sold to United in the future? They’re petty and pathetic. Losing McNeill to us after nicking him off us in the first place will put their nose out of joint.
I genuinely don’t think they’ll care personally.

They’ll care more about being able to post a profit or additional revenue.

Scholsey2004

Does anyone know how may goals someone like greenwood would have scored at that level?

Cant find anything online
It's a pretty irrelevant stat so I wouldn't bother looking. Some of McNeils goals are absolutely sensational though and he's another two footed player.

arnie_ni

It's a pretty irrelevant stat so I wouldn't bother looking. Some of McNeils goals are absolutely sensational though and he's another two footed player.
Will watch later.

Why did he leave utd initially do you know?

Prodigal7

His number of goals is incredible really given how he plays. He’s a bit of a Rooney (I think best player comparison for him) getting involved in all areas of the pitch.

crossy1686

career ending
Will watch later.

He's been at City for 7 years and it was widely known that City had the best academy over the last 10 years maybe? Van Persie, while at United had his son there as well, so did a bunch of other ex United players, I think Cole also.

Scholsey2004

His number of goals is incredible really given how he plays. He’s a bit of a Rooney (I think best player comparison for him) getting involved in all areas of the pitch.
The number is only relevant if you know which goals are being included, which we don't. If it's every time he's put the ball in the net in training then it's not, obviously. He does look top quality though.

SuperiorXI

He's been at City for 7 years and it was widely known that City had the best academy over the last 10 years maybe? Van Persie, while at United had his son there as well, so did a bunch of other ex United players, I think Cole also.
Depends what you mean by best academy? They had good facilities but no reasonable route into the first team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Rooney was a man -boy at the same age. Bullying adult defenders for fun. McNeil isn't TBF to him. Really there hasn't been a Rooney type since...er Rooney

Scholsey2004

Rooney was a man -boy at the same age. Bullying adult defenders for fun. McNeil isn't TBF to him. Really there hasn't been a Rooney type since...er Rooney
I actually think Rooney was more like your typical Argentinian forward physically. Burly and compact.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
With all the sightly-too-young-for-U23s strikers we have will it not be a case of them all sharing matches in that age group depending on who's in form, what the opponent's like, what the coaches think development-wise?

Scholsey2004

I mean, we've only got City's PR team to rely on for that information.
It's a pretty widely held opinion. I don't know any specifics but kids do seem to go there with the intention of improving their skills and not necessarily with the intention of playing for them.

Scholsey2004

Facilities and coaching for the age groups of 10 to 16. The City group pumped over £100m into it and then royally fecked it up in the last couple of years.
Yeah, they're basically running one of Europe's best academies for almost purely PR purposes and in effect providing a cheap conveyer belt of talent for other clubs. The disconnect between academy and senior side couldn't be starker. Guardiola really needs to step in and start taking a more active role.

NK86

And they shouldn't be.

Mason is an exception. Charlie would do stupendously well to get to a Welbeck level and likely will never even get to PL quality.
Have you seen this lad play a fair bit to be making those statements?

In Rainbows

If he didn't, it still wouldn't be that ignorant of a statement to make. It's simply knowing the success rate of prospects in general. It's incredibly hard to even make it at the PL level. Most don't make it.

But I get your point.

In Rainbows

We spent a season with literally no strikers at all injured or not and played McTominay and Willock as strikers. So we’ve basically had the exact same situation just a few seasons ago

The team is overhauled every season. This isn’t new or rare.
I remember we had Januzaj and Lingard filling in for striker en route to an u21 title win too (against Harry Kane's Spurs in the final). You're right, we always have this problem.

Number32

Will watch later.

A much better youth coach and training facilities, it's an easy choice playing for city academy though. The guy who knows football run their club, unlike a former bank accountant who just knows about 'numbers'.

NK86

If he didn't, it still wouldn't be that ignorant of a statement to make. It's simply knowing the success rate of prospects in general. It's incredibly hard to even make it at the PL level. Most don't make it.

But I get your point.
Without seeing someone play, to make a statement which is so specific doesn't really make sense. Everyone knows how tough it is to be a PL level player. But then there are special talents and he could be one of those.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
A much better youth coach and training facilities, it's an easy choice playing for city academy though. The guy who knows football run their club, unlike a former bank accountant who just knows about 'numbers'.
Aah - the same banker argument. Seriously ? Woodward deserves the credit for overhauling our academy. Period.

In Rainbows

Without seeing someone play, to make a statement which is so specific doesn't really make sense. Everyone knows how tough it is to be a PL level player. But then there are special talents and he could be one of those.
I don't disagree with you, but I do see the logic in his statement too.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not that again, City were just hoovering up as much local talent as they could from numerous advertised trials at the time, at United you have to be invited for a trial.

SinNombre

I have never seen this lad but I have followed the United academy and the English youth setups for the past 20 years, and know what kind of stats and performances are needed to break through.

Even Welbeck made his debut for a very strong United at age 17 and was playing for England u18s as a 16 year old. This kid scored 1 in 8 appearances for City's u18s last season.

Beaucoup

I have never seen this lad but I have followed the United academy and the English youth setups for the past 20 years, and know what kind of stats and performances are needed to break through.

Even Welbeck made his debut for a very strong United at age 17 and was playing for England u18s as a 16 year old. This kid scored 1 in 8 appearances for City's u18s last season.
I’ve seen McNeil play over a number of age groups and he’s always been huge for his age, I wouldn’t get carried away with the number of goals he’s scored as it’s not hard to rack up big numbers in academy football, especially when you have a physical advantage. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it going.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’ve seen McNeil play over a number of age groups and he’s always been huge for his age, I wouldn’t get carried away with the number of goals he’s scored as it’s not hard to rack up big numbers in academy football, especially when you have a physical advantage. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it going.
Outside of his size advantage, how do you think he is as a player?