Charlie McNeill | on loan to Stevenage

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Obviously just missed the pen so he could get one on his left for the perfect hattrick.

Bigsid

City lad (Tai Sodje) nicked the ball off us and scored after they returned to ball to us following kicking the ball out of play due to injury so City gave us a goal back
City lad (Tai Sodje) nicked the ball off us and scored after they returned to ball to us following kicking the ball out of play due to injury so City gave us a goal back
Not sure what City player was playing at doing that. Game was ruined by wind all way through. We started well and went two up then in end think we were lucky to win. Its hard to judge sides as we have a couple of u18s in u23s in Hugill and Shoretire and just read City have 11 u18s playing in their 23s. Never the less. A wins a win and always good to beat them lot.

Drainy

Not sure what City player was playing at doing that. Game was ruined by wind all way through. We started well and went two up then in end think we were lucky to win. Its hard to judge sides as we have a couple of u18s in u23s in Hugill and Shoretire and just read City have 11 u18s playing in their 23s. Never the less. A wins a win and always good to beat them lot.
I agree, while its always good to win (and even better against your rivals at the top of the table) I felt the wind meant that there was nothing to really be taken from the game regarding which team is actually better or has more potential.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be fair the academy restructuring was well under way by the time Mourinho joined, it started under LvG, although he had no input apparently.
Not many will want to credit him, but Ed Woodward is the one who sought advice on how to make United's production line at youth level among the best in the country after David Gill had left it to rot. Woodward allocated a very healthy budget to people he had put in charge of the operation and they've since been targeting the biggest talents in the world. Some we've signed like Mejbri and Kambwala who are two players that United are reported to have been particularly thrilled about. And some we've missed out on like Rayan Cherki who decided to stay at Lyon after rejecting a huge financial offer from United which dwarfed the financial package put forth by Lyon as per reports from France.

And from what I've read, it's Marcel Bout who is setting the directives at youth level and the scouts report to him

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not many will want to credit him, but Ed Woodward is the one who sought advice on how to make United's production line at youth level among the best in the country after David Gill had left it to rot. Woodward allocated a very healthy budget to people he had put in charge of the operation and they've since been targeting the biggest talents in the world. Some we've signed like Mejbri and Kambwala who are two players that United are reported to have been particularly thrilled about. And some we've missed out on like Rayan Cherki who decided to stay at Lyon after rejecting a huge financial offer from United which dwarfed the financial package put forth by Lyon as per reports from France.

And from what I've read, it's Marcel Bout who is setting the directives at youth level and the scouts report to him
Yeah absolutely, if there's anything Woodward deserves credit for it's recognising that the academy needed serious work and then actually putting his money where his mouth is. The whole restructuring of the scouting, backroom staff changes and managerial shake ups have been interesting to watch from the sidelines. It looks like our efforts are finally starting to bear fruit. It's such a shame that Brexit will put a halt to the signings of all these talented young players from the continent, at least temporarily, I hope there's a good work around or we could be left behind by our European counterparts.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah absolutely, if there's anything Woodward deserves credit for it's recognising that the academy needed serious work and then actually putting his money where his mouth is. The whole restructuring of the scouting, backroom staff changes and managerial shake ups have been interesting to watch from the sidelines. It looks like our efforts are finally starting to bear fruit. It's such a shame that Brexit will put a halt to the signings of all these talented young players from the continent, at least temporarily, I hope there's a good work around or we could be left behind by our European counterparts.
According to the below piece from last year, Marcel Bout makes the final call on all incoming youth transfers. He's also tasked with organizing the scouts and the scouts then report back to him before he makes the final call. He's also on the recruitment committee for the first team and has the power of veto along with Jim Lawlor and Mick Court. And if you look at his CV and the roles he's occupied over the years in Holland, Germany and now in England, it's very impressive, with him basically having experience of coaching at every level. He also has vast experience at the highest level of evaluating player potential and has worked in a technical capacity evaluating data. He's basically our Sporting Director at youth level.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...odward-head-team-signed-Fernandes-Ighalo.html

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I see that Sodje also wasn't happy with decision to them let us score free goal.

Anyway, how those two Spanish full backs are playing this season? Jurado and i forgot the name of left back.

voyasvirta

Anyway, how those two Spanish full backs are playing this season? Jurado and i forgot the name of left back.
Alvaro Fernandez is the older one at 17 and is a left back. He was very impressive at the u18's and was quickly promoted to the u23's. He has been good even there and has shown that he's very adept going forward. He has a few things to work on but has generally impressed at the u23's.
Marc Jurado is the RB and is 16. He is a bit slighter than Fernandez and has had to work a bit harder to become a fixture at the u18's because Iestyn Hughes is a very good player at RB for the u18's. Recently he has been playing regularly for the u18's and looks decent. He might take a little longer than Alvaro but I'm sure he will come good.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
How good is McNeill and who is older of him and Hugill?

lysglimt

Scout
How good is McNeill and who is older of him and Hugill?
In terms of scoring goals - he is probably the best we have at the club - on all levels. He is a goal machine. He still has a lot of work to do at his hold-up play, but as Pascell mentioned above, he works a lot harder. In the first few months he was, in lack of a better word - lazy. He did score the odd goal but did not seem prepare to work for it. Now, he is really starting to work hard during matches, and it has paid off in terms of more goals as well.

Bwuk

My dad used to do the same with me, but I don’t think I ever cost him as much!!

Really like that we have two proper #9s coming through in him and Hugill.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In terms of scoring goals - he is probably the best we have at the club - on all levels. He is a goal machine. He still has a lot of work to do at his hold-up play, but as Pascell mentioned above, he works a lot harder. In the first few months he was, in lack of a better word - lazy. He did score the odd goal but did not seem prepare to work for it. Now, he is really starting to work hard during matches, and it has paid off in terms of more goals as well.
Thanks for the detail. Who would you say has the bigger chance out of him and Hugill?

lysglimt

Scout
Thanks for the detail. Who would you say has the bigger chance out of him and Hugill?
Impossible to say - I am not entirely convinced either of them are good enough all-round players. I would be more optimistic if they had a bit more pace.

AltiUn

Scored again tonight, I think that makes it 15 in 15 for him. Bit of a goal machine, has to be said.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a killer in front of goal with good acceleration. Reminds me a little of Robbie Fowler in some ways. Still a long way to go but he's doing very well currently.

Bwuk

Wonder if we’ll see him or Hugill on the bench vs West Ham.

Bwuk

We can't play Hugill yet he's like a skeleton.
I agree but who else is there that can play uptop?

With current injury list you’d assume James, Bruno, Amad, Greenwood start and who’s on the bench who can play uptop?

Mark Pawelek

We can't play Hugill yet he's like a skeleton.
If we can't play Hugill, then we definitely shouldn't play Brandon Williams. Unless some players are lying about their size.

Player
Weight (kg)
Height / Weight
Marc Jurado​
16​
178​
61​
2.92​
Isak Hansen-Aaröen​
16​
174​
60​
2.90​
Jesse Lingard
2.82​
Alejandro Garnacho​
16​
180​
64​
2.81​
Zidane Iqbal​
17​
180​
64​
2.81​
Harvey Neville​
19​
181​
65​
2.78​
Brandon Williams
2.76​
Mark Helm​
19​
176​
64​
2.75​
Max Hagarth​
19​
176​
65​
2.71​
Juan Mata
2.70​
Alvaro Fernandez Carreras​
17​
188​
70​
2.69​
Mateo Mejia​
18​
188​
70​
2.69​
Facundo Pellistri​
19​
174​
65​
2.68​
Charlie Savage​
17​
167​
63​
2.65​
Fred
2.64​
Joe Hugill
17​
190​
72​
2.64​

FM-2021 data.

Fit striker options must be
CF: Greenwood, Hugill, McNeil, or McTominay
AM: Bruno, Shoretire,
RW: Amad, Greenwood,
LW: James, Hannibal

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You realise you need to be stronger to play CF than full back?
he does have a point though. Michael Owen was built like a child but he got the business done. Rashford was skinny and fast. Gomez tiny, Greenwood was slight until recently. If the movement is good it should still tide us over for a game or 2. If these lads aren’t able to step in during a major injury crisis are they really going to ever be able to step in a few seasons down the road when there’s a few 50 million quid players in front of them?

I’d be much more inclined to give Hugil a go though because he looks like he could handle it better currently.

Last edited:

AltiUn

he does have a point though. Michael Owen was built like a child but he got the business done. If the movement is good it should still tide us over for a game or 2. If these lads aren’t able to step in during an injury crisis are they really going to ever be able to step in a few seasons down the road when there’s a few 50 million quid players in front of them?

I’d be much more inclined to give Hugil a go though because he looks like he could handle it better currently.
Michael Owen was absolutely rapid, to step up at a young age you usually have to have an incredibly physical attribute, which neither McNeill or Hugill has.

Honestly what a stupid thought process, they're both 17. McNeill's played 1 game for the U23s, totalling 20 mintues of gametime. Hugill played 90 minutes on Friday at 3pm, a game in which he had to play essentially the entire game by himself due to us having a man sent off in the 5th minute. McNeill played 90 minutes today at 12.30pm. If they got thrown into the first team tomorrow and didn't perform that's somehow an indication they'll never be able to step up, is it? Because I think you're talking rubbish.

Ali Dia

Michael Owen was absolutely rapid, to step up at a young age you usually have to have an incredibly physical attribute, which neither McNeill or Hugill has.

Honestly what a stupid thought process, they're both 17. McNeill's played 1 game for the U23s, totalling 20 mintues of gametime. Hugill played 90 minutes on Friday at 3pm, a game in which he had to play essentially the entire game by himself due to us having a man sent off in the 5th minute. McNeill played 90 minutes today at 12.30pm. If they got thrown into the first team tomorrow and didn't perform that's somehow an indication they'll never be able to step up, is it? Because I think you're talking rubbish.
No need to be so precious. Big clubs play or name young players on the bench in times like these all the time. Ole probably won’t but the way you’re talking it’d be like a crime for a club to use an employee for the first team (where it actually counts) when they need the numbers. I think you’re being contrary just for the sake of it

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
No need to be so precious. Big clubs play or name young players on the bench in times like these all the time. Ole probably won’t but the way you’re talking it’d be like a crime for a club to use an employee for the first team (where it actually counts) when they need the numbers. I think you’re being contrary just for the sake of it
Have you ever watched either play? Neither are ready for first team football yet and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ali Dia

Have you ever watched either play? Neither are ready for first team football yet and there's nothing wrong with that.
ya I’m well aware of both lads. I’ve seen more U23s than 18s this year and neither look ready but Hugil might be effective as a stopgap sub option even. Macheda and Rashford weren’t ready then either by the same token but when there’s injuries needs must sometimes.

AltiUn

Your actual words:
If these lads aren’t able to step in during an injury crisis are they really going to ever be able to step in a few seasons down the road when there’s a few 50 million quid players in front of them?
You didn't say you just wanted them on the bench, you wanted them to step up, indicating not only that you wanted them to play but to play to your standards. You said that if they didn't perform it indicates they won't ever be able to, I gave you two valid reasons why it's unlikely they'll perform if they were on the bench.

I'm not talking like it's a crime, I just know what people on here are like, they clamour for youth they've never watched play and then get disappointed when they don't live up to their baseless expectations. I think you're being intentionally obtuse and dismissive for the sake of it. You can accuse me of being precious or contrary all you want it doesn't change that I think it's an unbelievably stupid thought process.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The way Hugill tries to play the game he needs to bulk up. Its different to the Rashford style of collecting the ball wide and dribbling at players. Hugill tries to hold up the ball and regularly tries to outmuscle his opponents. He doesn't really have the pace to beat everyone. We need to be patient with him because he could well be a cracking number 9 but he may not hit his stride until his 20s like Kane.

Bertie Wooster

Neither Hugill or McNeill are ready for the first team yet.

However, if we're missing Cavani, Rashford, Martial and Mata tomorrow then there could have been an argument for Hugill, Mejbri or Elanga being on the bench.

Unfortunately, Mejbri and Elanga are also injured, and circumstances have meant we've had 5 games in 5 days at various levels and so the likes of Hugill, McNeill and Shoretire have been needed for games in recent days.

I'd have been reluctant to see either Hugill or McNeill thrown into the first team mix too early anyway - they're developing nicely, and at the right pace, this season as it is. But it would have been a decent chance to give Mejbri or Elanga a place on the bench.

Hopefully all of this is moot anyway and one of the injured front three will be fit enough to make the squad tomorrow? If not, it's going to be a pretty awful bench from an attacking point of view. I just hope some are back for the two key cup games coming up.