Charlie McNeill | on loan to Stevenage

Bigsid

Was a knee jerk signing. The pathway he came for looks a long one now.

Baneofthegame

Sorry man I'm still not following. Are you saying we shouldn't sign academy players who play the same position?
Apparently so, which is a weird thought as the actual amount of youth team players that end up playing for the senior team is very low.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Apparently so, which is a weird thought as the actual amount of youth team players that end up playing for the senior team is very low.
Yes...if you progress far enough to play in the FA Youth Cup your chances of playing for the first team at United is on average 33%.

Better than every other club but it's still a low percentage.

Baneofthegame

Yes...if you progress far enough to play in the FA Youth Cup your chances of playing for the first team at United is on average 33%.

Better than every other club but it's still a low percentage.
Yeah, which is why to have as many good youth players as we can is in my opinion a good thing.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Scored his first senior goal away at Tranmere.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Newport’s manager Graham Coughlan:

”I think it (scoring the first senior goal) was a relief. He was coming close as the weeks have gone on. I suppose as a striker you get frustrated if you don’t score. Strikers don’t see the bigger picture, team ethic and the winning of games. But I think you get frustrated if you don’t score and Charlie was showing a little bit of frustration, sometimes that creeps in. I’m delighted he got the goal and hopefully he can push on and really hit the ground running for the football club.”
Regarding the bolded part, before anyone starts questioning McNeill’s attitude, it was a comment about strikers in general and said more in an understanding manner.

top1whoisman

Scout

Revaulx

Great to see. The post-Woodward United management deserves huge credit for the way they have put in the resources to sort out our abysmal loan system and seem to have transformed it into something really good.

It’s happening at younger levels too, with players getting experience at clubs close to Manchester that United have forged links with.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Hopefully Ten Hag sees him as our third choice CF next season and gives him some minutes in the cups. If we need someone to come off the bench and grab us a goal in a league game, I'd fancy Mcneill over Weghorst any day of the week.

Remember the geese

His goals per game stats in the academy made me think he could make it. Admittedly the only time I've watched him play was his cameo vs Sociedad so I'm not in the best position to judge whether he's good enough. What makes you think he's not?
I just don't see him as a particularly special talent. Decent finisher, but little else. Not a physical beast or particularly quick.

Bigsid

Shows how hard it is to forge a career in mens football with both him and Shoretire on the bench in League One and two. Not sure if either will get another loan this Summer but if they do the club has to make sure its the right one.

Bondi77

Hopefully Ten Hag sees him as our third choice CF next season and gives him some minutes in the cups. If we need someone to come off the bench and grab us a goal in a league game, I'd fancy Mcneill over Weghorst any day of the week.
You do realise Wout would wreak havoc playing for Newport..right?

Dve

Shows how hard it is to forge a career in mens football with both him and Shoretire on the bench in League One and two. Not sure if either will get another loan this Summer but if they do the club has to make sure its the right one.
Shoretire, I believe, started 10 out of 12 games for Bolton, so it's not like he's been a bench player, but still no goals and no assists. McNeill started a few less, which is worrying when he's the one playing in league 2, turning 20 this year.

And you have a point, btw, it's not said that every player in a PL academy will make it much of a living, although the typical payment at Newport is 3000£ a month.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You do realise Wout would wreak havoc playing for Newport..right?
I never said Weghorst wasn't capable of scoring at League 2 level. My preference for Mcneill over Weghorst is based on his potential. You do realise there's more room for growth for a 19 year old striker than there is for a 30 year old striker, right?

Hammondo

I just don't see him as a particularly special talent. Decent finisher, but little else. Not a physical beast or particularly quick.
There are other things that are just as, or more important. He doesn't have those either it seems.

Bondi77

I never said Weghorst wasn't capable of scoring at League 2 level. My preference for Mcneill over Weghorst is based on his potential. You do realise there's more room for growth for a 19 year old striker than there is for a 30 year old striker, right?
I think he would have to be starting games and scoring goals at a higher level before Erik even considers him as a bench option but you never know.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I think he would have to be starting games and scoring goals at a higher level before Erik even considers him as a bench option but you never know.
He considered him a bench option vs Sociedad so I don't think it's that far fetched to think he'll have a place for him in the squad more regularly next season.

lysglimt

Scout
McNeil offers too little in overall gameplay to make it at United - I am 99% certain of that. But his workrate has improved a lot since he joined us. He is a superb goalscorer, but he offers very little apart from that. I still rate a fit Hugill over McNeil

KevinJoh

Still just a kid, but this loan will do him good to see that he is nowhere close and that he has to work a lot to get in position to earn living from football and especially reach PL level. He improved a lot in my opinion, but even in U21 team he struggled. So, he will need more time and this is good first loan. He has to score a few more, get in the first team, and than try to get better team next year, maybe League One, develop physicality and improve more. He is far away from competition for the first team, so is Hugill. To get a chance in the first team you have to have at least something at world class level, and I can't say they have at the moment.

Marwood

Still just a kid, but this loan will do him good to see that he is nowhere close and that he has to work a lot to get in position to earn living from football and especially reach PL level. He improved a lot in my opinion, but even in U21 team he struggled. So, he will need more time and this is good first loan. He has to score a few more, get in the first team, and than try to get better team next year, maybe League One, develop physicality and improve more. He is far away from competition for the first team, so is Hugill. To get a chance in the first team you have to have at least something at world class level, and I can't say they have at the moment.
I've probably mentioned this before but I'm always surprised young players don't physically develop themselves quicker. They go on loan for a season, come back and look no different.

That's fine when you're already physically good enough but you'd think some of them would be making it a priority.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He considered him a bench option vs Sociedad so I don't think it's that far fetched to think he'll have a place for him in the squad more regularly next season.
At that age, Ronaldo - who he keeps mentioning, was playing regularly for Manchester United not coming off the bench for Newport.