Charlie Savage image 99

Charlie Savage Wales flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Unpopular opinion: Charlie Savage is better than McTominey. Sure, he is younger and much less experienced, but also - already incredible at clever long passes that create chaos in opposition's defense.

I love this kid. I hope he becomes world class for us, over time, under Ten Hag

NewGlory

He has go out on loan and play regularly - he won't do that at United this season. He could follow in Garner's footsteps.
Only if he goes to some club that can develop him in the style and with the compatible system to what Ten Hag is implementing. Sending him, in his formative years, to some bullshit Championship club just so he can play regular football is not developing him.

Roux

Only if he goes to some club that can develop him in the style and with the compatible system to what Ten Hag is implementing. Sending him, in his formative years, to some bullshit Championship club just so he can play regular football is not developing him.
I don't think it matters too much as long as he's playing regular football.
Of course it would be beneficial to go to a team that has a similar system - but not essential. Worked out really well for Garner.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Unpopular opinion: Charlie Savage is better than McTominey. Sure, he is younger and much less experienced, but also - already incredible at clever long passes that create chaos in opposition's defense.

Why unpopular? McT is a shit midfielder and most people see that by now

phelans shorts

It’s unpopular because there’s literally zero truth to it.

Lyng

It’s unpopular because there’s literally zero truth to it.
Its difficult to know.
He has certainly looked twice the player in pre season, but its pre season so its difficult to know how it translates to the league.
If Savage can manage to perform on the same level in the Premier League then he will be a better player than McT.

NewGlory

I don't think it matters too much as long as he's playing regular football.
Of course it would be beneficial to go to a team that has a similar system - but not essential. Worked out really well for Garner.
How exactly did it work out for Garner? Is Garner EPL quality now? Is Garner going to be regular starter for us? Are we not buying midfielders because we think Garner is ready? No, no, and no. So what exactly "worked out" for Garner? He got to play regular games, a bunch of people on forums and social media are excited and overhyped, and then what? Very likely he will be sold at some point and never play for us at top level

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wouldn't be shocked if Savage does turn out better than McTominay, McTominay has never been the standout in any team he's ever been in. He was just about serviceable as a youth player. He was never a particularly outstanding player, it's not like he was a really good talent. How he's ended up as a United midfielder is genuinely one of life's greatest mysteries. I think Savage could quite easily do the job McTominay does for us purely for the fact McTominay does virtually nothing.

led_scholes

How exactly did it work out for Garner? Is Garner EPL quality now? Is Garner going to be regular starter for us? Are we not buying midfielders because we think Garner is ready? No, no, and no. So what exactly "worked out" for Garner? He got to play regular games, a bunch of people on forums and social media are excited and overhyped, and then what? Very likely he will be sold at some point and never play for us at top level
Garners value to transfermarkt is about 7 million. It's double than it was last year. If we sell him now, he will probably go for 10 millions. I m sure that if he had stayed with us last year because we couldn't find a team playing our style (whatever style we had then), he would probably go for 2 millions max. That's a successful loan in my opinion. He may never be a united quality no matter where he went/will go on loan.

AltiUn

Garners value to transfermarkt is about 7 million. It's double than it was last year. If we sell him now, he will probably go for 10 millions. I m sure that if he had stayed with us last year because we couldn't find a team playing our style (whatever style we had then), he would probably go for 2 millions max. That's a successful loan in my opinion. He may never be a united quality no matter where he went/will go on loan.
Garner would be going for £20m minimum if we sold him this summer.

led_scholes

Garner would be going for £20m minimum if we sold him this summer.
I believe it will be closer to 20 than 10 indeed. However, I picked the lowest price just to say that even if he left with 10 now, his loan was still a massive success.

Roux

Jeez somebody's grumpy.

Worked out pretty well i'd say - he was a standout player for his team, helped his team get promoted while playing regularly at 20yo. About as good as a loan can go really - it definitely accelerated his development, nobody here is expecting him to start League games for United - but he's in a much better place than he was a year ago - no? Chong had a similar impact at B'ham.

I think he's EPL quality now and go easily go back on loan to Forest. Players like Savage, Hannibal and Iqbal could also benefit from doing the same thing.

Also that 'bullshit championship' club as you called it is now in the Premier League.

Last edited:

khoazany

This forum is such a shamble. Can’t even just appreciate a youngster doing well on pre-season without talking nonsense about other players.

Sid234

Why is McT catching flak on a thread about Savage?

Charlie did great in pre-season, and rose to the occasion- excited to see how he develops. I don't see the need to slag off on other players.

If Charlie is really that much better than Scott, it's a decision that EtH will make anyway

NewGlory

Fair enough, but based on the point you are making - we are a player farm, now? I thought we wanted to grow footballers so they can play for us, at top level. That is what I would like to see happen to Savage (I agree that Garner probably doesn't have what it takes for that). And I don't think it will happen if Savage is sold to a no-style or incompatible style club in Championship.

I wasn't advocating to keep him. Agree that is probably bad, but why the hell are we unable to loan our players somewhere where they can be trained in similar style? We should have partner clubs for that.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Charlie did great in pre-season, and rose to the occasion- excited to see how he develops. I don't see the need to slag off on other players.

If Charlie is really that much better than Scott, it's a decision that EtH will make anyway
McT get's flak because posters on here love scapegoats and agenda pushing.

flameinthesun

Savage is not even close to being as good as mctominay. Maybe in the future he will be but as it stands now he is not. From his pre season showing he seems a decent player, but so far in the u18s/reserves and on pre season there has been nothing to say that he could become more than a decent/good player. It all depends on how he adapts to senior football.

Grande

Too many people use ‘unpopular’ as a euphemism for ‘unqualified’.

Bwuk

Would quite like to see him go on loan somewhere he’ll get regular minutes. He looks like he could be a really good CDM one day.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Always makes himself available for pass and tries to open space for others. Also has good pass in him, interesting player.

led_scholes

Fair enough, but based on the point you are making - we are a player farm, now? I thought we wanted to grow footballers so they can play for us, at top level. That is what I would like to see happen to Savage (I agree that Garner probably doesn't have what it takes for that). And I don't think it will happen if Savage is sold to a no-style or incompatible style club in Championship.

I wasn't advocating to keep him. Agree that is probably bad, but why the hell are we unable to loan our players somewhere where they can be trained in similar style? We should have partner clubs for that.
I don't think we are a farm for players. However, it is impossible for every young player to make the step. I do think that the club is responsible for their careers and should help them achieve their potential, even if that potential is" just" championship (which is still a great achievement). We had players who stayed in the under 21s for so long that they reach the age of 21 and 22 with minimum high level experience, so when they leave it is difficult for them to make the step.

Also, I do agree with you that we shouldn't loan players just for the sake of it (eg like Chelsea), and try to develop partnerships, and monitor the situation each time (like we failed to do with Pellistri) . Perhaps, these partnerships should also include non UK teams. I find it weird that we did that 20 years ago with Antwerp, which was innovative for that time, but we have failed to do it the last 10 years.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Because thus works this hyperconnected brave new world.

People don't articulate the positives to support a thesis but instead vomit all their negative thoughts about perceived alternatives.

Twitteratti making the case for three British bands largely by talking shit about a whole bunch of other pretty fecking great bands

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Forest Green play some very good football, should be a good loan for him.

Looks a good prospect so hopefully gets the minutes he needs.

Dearg hÉireann

Head Coach sacked this morning, bad start to say the least unless the new manager likes Savage.

Strootman's Finger

We couldn't find a better loan then a team right smack at the bottom of the third divsion? Can't see him playing at United anytime soon, bit of a gulf there.

AltiUn

Seems to be doing well, has won the "Quorn Star of the Month" :lol:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Happy for Charlie, but it's good to remember that this was done via poll on twitter which was obviously "hijacked" by United fans (four times as many total votes as in the previous one, utdreport Academy with 185k followers re-tweeted the poll). In any case I'm happy he's been starting to get regular game time in first team football. Keeping ex-United Charlie McCann on the bench at the moment. McCann was at least based on their coverage of the deal expected to become a star there but so far he's played total of 49 minutes in seven games.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Has to be better than his dad to stand any chance we of making it. What was his dad doing at 19?

flappyjay

This year we have quiet a few lads starting for their loan clubs. We did few things right this season.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think he stands a better chance of getting some games with EtH at the helm. He’d have had no chance under a Mourinho etc.

It’s just whether he is better than Mainoo, Iqbal, Hannibal etc.

arthurka

I think he stands a better chance of getting some games with EtH at the helm. He’d have had no chance under a Mourinho etc.

It’s just whether he is better than Mainoo, Iqbal, Hannibal etc.
He is playing football that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.