Charlie Savage

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
To early to say honestly. But like mentioned above, he has been used as more of a dm role lately which, obviously given our squads deficiencies, could be a interesting prospect.
Hope we get to see abit of him in pre season.
I specifically remember the match v Dortmund, where I thought he did pretty well, they seemed to be a much bigger, more physical team than United, but Savage coped pretty well, winning the ball back and giving a simple pass to our more creative players, and always available for the ball.
I thought our boys did well in that game, and outplayed Dortmund, but couldn't put away the chances.
Does anyone know who won that competition by the way?

lysglimt

Scout
His passing is really good - should have a good career, but maybe not here.

Lyng

I specifically remember the match v Dortmund, where I thought he did pretty well, they seemed to be a much bigger, more physical team than United, but Savage coped pretty well, winning the ball back and giving a simple pass to our more creative players, and always available for the ball.
Exactly. And those qualities could be very useful to us. One of our biggest issues with Mc T is that he often runs to the wrong spot and doesnt read the flow that well, which is why people accuse him of hiding. (Though I personally hate that term)

The times I have seen Savage in that role he has been very good at moving in to the right places and getting the ball back and, like you said, handing it off to the creators.
In Ten Hags system that is exactly the kind of player we need as one part of the midfield. Savage is not flashy but that is not what we would need from him anyway.

Could become a very good player for us with the right coaching.

Mickson

I thought our boys did well in that game, and outplayed Dortmund, but couldn't put away the chances.
Does anyone know who won that competition by the way?
Benfica.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Keep him away from the likes of lingard, rashford, martial and pogba.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
His dad commentating his debut was one of the best moments of the season for me.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He's a very consistent player. Someone who you always can depend on to have a 7/10 game. Knows his role and allows the more technical players to play their game. I like him. Will be interesting to see where his career goes.

lysglimt

Scout
The CAF always does well to write off their own youth team, it’s madness.
It's a matter of being realistic. Over the last 10 years - we have seen maybe 10 players in total manage to find their way into the United-squad. On average that is like 1 each year, it's that hard.

I have never written off Savage - I have said he has a chance in other posts, but there are at least 4-5 players I rate above him, and 5-6 more at the same level. I actually like Savage, he is a tidy little player. But if Ten Hag has a bit of success with United and take United closer to City and Liverpool, Savage and others in his position will need to match Fabinho, Henderson, De Bruyne, Foden to be a United-player - do I see THAT quality in Savage ? No I do not.

So no I am not writing off anyone, I just doubt that Savage will make it. Just as I doubt almost every other player - because with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 players - they wont make it.

Bojan Djordjic

Robbie can be a prat but he is one ex pro who genuinely loves football and loves United and if Charlie needs a lesson in how to wring the absolute maximum out of your ability his dad is a hell of a role model.
Ah, in fairness, on the pitch he's a serious pro and I was being somewhat tongue in cheek. I just remember that Roy Keane anecdote about taking on the management gig at Sunderland (I think) and he decided to ring Savage snr to see if he'd be interested in joining them and the phone went to voicemail and Savage's recorded message began with "Whassssssssuppp...." mimicking the budweiser ad at the time and Keane said he hung up immediately and never contacted him again.

khoazany

With that deal pretty sure the club held him in higher regards then some here do.

i think people tend to overestimate how much they can judge young talent’s potential. Yes the top tier ones just standout, and many of them are not even good talents by United standard, but other than that it’s pretty hard to separate the likes of let’s say Galbraith, Levitt, Iqbal, Savage etc to say who will go on to have better career than the rest.

Savage has a sweet left peg and is an engine too. Let’s see how will he progress next season. Probably gonna go on loan at some points with Iqbal.

El Jefe

Him and Zidane were our best players along with Bailly in the second half.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thought he looked incredibly calm. Very good performance.

Bojan Djordjic

Savage played more like a seasoned CM. Zidane looked better individually, on the ball (dribbling), but his decision making and passing was off.
Yeah, Zidane is a nice player to watch and is pretty press resistant but it was frustrating watching him evade a player only to pass it backwards instead of carrying on or passing it ahead so often. His passing radar was definitely off at times too. You'd hope he can improve that with experience though. Had the right idea but needs better execution.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yeah, Zidane is a nice player to watch and is pretty press resistant but it was frustrating watching him evade a player only to pass it backwards instead of carrying on or passing it ahead so often. His passing radar was definitely off at times too. You'd hope he can improve that with experience though. Had the right idea but needs better execution.
It was only against Liverpool, so Iqbal probably wasn't taking it all that seriously. When he faces a real team, he'll turn it up a notch, just you watch!

Bojan Djordjic

It was only against Liverpool, so Iqbal probably wasn't taking it all that seriously. When he faces a real team, he'll turn it up a notch, just you watch!
Definitely looking forward to seeing a bit more of these guys who should be really picking up the garbage time minutes wasted on the likes of Lingard and Matic over the last few seasons. Worst case scenario it'd bump up their transfer values and best case scenario it might help them develop their game or put pressure on the first choicers.

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting that he was almost released last season at the end of his contract but United decided to keep him due to his professionalism and how hard he worked to become one of the fittest lads in the squad.

Will probably take a while to get there but it’s been a while since we had someone with that kind of energy in the middle who chases everything.

Chief123

He sure knows how to ping a ball. Scholes-esque. Played a couple of beauties.

Ekeke

Reminds me of season 1 Blind when he played CM as cover for us. Good passing and happy to put in biting challenges

Already better than his dad? I'd be happy to see him and Zidane in the squad this season getting a few cup games. They've been the two standouts from the youngsters.