Chasing down the GK.

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by meamth, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Sep 22, 2019

meamth Full Member

What's the point of that tactic?

Chasing down the GK to force him to scramble the ball for throw ins or directly giving the ball back to us. I mean, I can see what they are going for, but is it worth the amount of sprints from lone lone strikers?

Today we saw Rashford mindlessly chasing down the GK, I didn't even remember West Ham players trying to do the same.

In the end, the tactic put too much strain on Rashford's muscles and he went down injured.

Is it mindless or effective?
  2. Sep 22, 2019

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

British pashun la
  3. Sep 22, 2019

antsmithmk Full Member

Might be semi effective against a keeper with absolutely zero footballing skills. These days most premkeepers can pass a ball as well as most league 1 outfield players. Total waste of energy.
  4. Sep 22, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Like all pressing, it needs to be done in gang form. Not just one guy wasting energy sprinting on his own.

Otherwise it's one of those mad tactics, like passing it around aimlessly to keep the ball, going to your keeper, who then launches long anyway.

Or like a corner we took today, taking it quickly, and then wasting it, without even putting a ball in.
  5. Sep 22, 2019

Skills Snitch

Because the players have been to run and press without proper guidance on how to do it.

Like what's the tactic behind our pressing. What exactly are we trying to get the opposition to do? It has to be a bit more sophisticated than just win the ball back
  6. Sep 23, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Kane always does it and tbh now more than ever, with keepers playing it out from the back, it is important keeping a team from relaxing. the important thing, as has been said it needs to be done as a team so as well as the keeper being pressed all passing options need to be covered for it to be effective.
  7. Sep 23, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

It's just bravado to say 'hey look at me, I'm making the effort'
  8. Sep 23, 2019

SirAF Ageist

This.
  9. Sep 23, 2019

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    It sometimes works to provoke an error and sneak in a goal.
  10. Sep 23, 2019

RobinLFC Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It's an essential part of ball retention and very effective if done properly. If you're the one pressing the keeper and the rest of your team is just standing there, it's pointless.
  11. Sep 23, 2019

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    If you are loosing the game, unless you press the opposition GK, he will hold the ball "forever".

If the opposition GK sucks with his feet it also forces him to concede possession.
  12. Sep 23, 2019

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We use it a lot to good effect to force keepers into poor long passes and win possession that way.
  13. Sep 23, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Any tactic or effort is mindless when it's not done as a team. Pressing CB is mindless too if other players don't block the passing lane.

When your striker press the GK, other players should also close down the passing options which means GK will go for long kick. It's a good way to win the possession.
  14. Sep 23, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Generally you're right but against WHUM sadly it was needed as their keeper was wasting time as soon as they scored

For the record, we don't actually do any real pressing. Running after the ball isn't pressing, it's about luring the ball into a certain area where you can cut of passing lanes to pressure a mistake and usually involves 2-3 players - with us we have some headless chickens who sprint around alone and then, even if they did win the ball back, they'd be isolated.
  15. Sep 23, 2019

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    All the basic principles of proper team pressing and zonal defending was invented by Arrigo Sacchi's genius. One would thought that strategies invented decades ago would be something "easy" to implement at higher level.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-how-arrigo-sacchis-ac-milan-took-down-europe
  16. Sep 23, 2019

Bastian Full Member

This.
  17. Sep 23, 2019

Vault Dweller Full Member

I don't mind it if the entire team is pressing forward and as a result of this the ball goes back to the keeper, and as part of the final press forward the striker presses the goalkeeper.

What I do mind, is Rashford sprinting flat out from 50 yards away towards the goalkeeper who has all the time in the world to pick a pass out, meaning Rashford has just wasted energy on a totally pointless sprint. It was annoying the absolute feck out of me yesterday. Save your energy for when we win the ball back, or do it when the entire team is pressing forward.
  18. Sep 23, 2019

Vault Dweller Full Member

Absolutely.
  19. Sep 23, 2019

Relevated fixated with venom and phalluses

It forces the keeper to move the ball faster than he'd like to
  20. Sep 23, 2019

meamth Full Member

Yeah I understand it is to make the GK fumbles and forcing mistakes...but most of the times, I see it as a waste of energy for the forwards.

There were times when we had Berba and Rooney, they didn't need to make this kind of run, same as for RVP.

Rashford in the other hand, oh boy. How many 100m sprints he made last night? Headless chicken.
  21. Sep 23, 2019

Hawks2008 Full Member

'Pashun, Desiah, Hungah, Werkrate'

Lots of people are very impressed by the headless chicken act and looking busy gets many players a pass in the eyes of some fans.
  22. Sep 23, 2019

11101 Full Member

Its worth doing when the opposition defence is quite deep and you can press them all in numbers, it means they cant pass it out easily and have to take a risky long pass or make a mistake.

Its a complete waste of time and energy the way Rashford does it where everyone else is miles away. The ball is going long anyway.
  23. Sep 23, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

Logically it works only if the team presses as a unit. No point going solo but when you're chasing a game you don't want a team to settle passing across the back so obviously it's a valid tactic. Nothing to do with being British as some idiot mentioned earlier.
  24. Sep 23, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

Aye, when combined with the closure off the keeper's passing options charging him can be very effective in turning the ball over, otherwise then chances of it working for you are slim.
  25. Sep 23, 2019

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    It absolutely needs to be done if your team is losing, specially if you're the bigger club and the result is an upset.
  26. Sep 23, 2019

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

If you're losing and you don't hurry the goalkeeper, he can just keep the ball at his feet until someone does start to approach him to sap away some time and take the sting out of the game. For me, it's crucial for maintaining pressure when you need a goal and the other team is just trying to see out the game with the score as it is.

The chances of getting the ball back in good positions (and possibly scoring from them) are slim, though it does happen, but it does increase your chances of getting possession back in some capacity. You have to be smart about it, press as a unit (i.e. don't just chase the ball, but cut off passing options), pick your opportunities. Don't try and do it all game every game, otherwise you're going to run out of gas and likely get injured. We seem go against all of that.
  27. Sep 23, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

Surely the main point is to pressure into a clearance rather than a decent long ball, meaning more chance of getting possession back? Plus stopping time wasting.
  28. Sep 23, 2019

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

We were usually winning the game and had no need to rush the keeper.
  29. Sep 23, 2019

mav_9me Full Member

The Liverpool fans get it because they see their team do it effectively.

Unfortunately we are much less adept at it, subsequently you have posts like the OP and others who are making fun of it as pashun when it should be part of proper pressing
  30. Sep 23, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Exactly.
  31. Sep 23, 2019

manunited1919 Full Member

Rashford has always done it and been good at it, it’s not the reason he got injured.
  32. Oct 6, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Chelsea's second goal is why.
  33. Oct 6, 2019

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Many good reasons to do it. Often hurrying the keeper leads to winning the ball back in midfield after a poorly aimed kick.