Cheap Backup Strikers

jamesjimmybyrondean

As far as I know we are after a cheap back up striker for the bench. What strikers are available that would be a cheap backup but also solid

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

These 2 are too young and inexperienced to be called 'solid'. Both are potentially better than backup too.

Pietro Pellegri, according to DiMarzio. Tall striker at Monaco. Still only 19. Injured a lot. Quite a threat when he plays. Probably cost less than £10m. I suppose he's the better than BTEC Haarland if he can stay fit.

Adolfo Gaich. Reputed buyout clause = €12m. United enquired last January. Argentinian who literally broke his nose (to score?). Expected to get a European passport soon.

Last edited:

yo@Kirk

As far as I know we are after a cheap back up striker for the bench. What strikers are available that would be a cheap backup but also solid
I wouldn't consider the Haaland interest as looking for a cheap striker for the bench. More like looking for a cheap striker that fits Ole's attacking scheme at the position better than Martial. French 22 year old striker Odsonne Edouard for 20-25m would provide Haaland's skill set with considerably more athleticism at the position.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I wouldn't consider the Haaland interest as looking for a cheap striker for the bench. More like looking for a cheap striker that fits Ole's attacking scheme at the position better than Martial. French 22 year old striker Odsonne Edouard for 20-25m would provide Haaland's skill set with considerably more athleticism at the position.
i think our interest with Haaland was more of us having the opportunity to get a generational talent than us looking for a back up. Asides from Haaland we've come close to getting Mandzukic King and Ighalo and all these are cheap backup strikers that appear willing to sit on the bench

RUCK4444

I hope I'm wrong but I'm of the belief we will be looking for a top no. 9 once Martial let's Ollie down as the main man up top. Again, hope I'm wrong, but I can see that happening.

My hope is that in the meantime Greenwood is ready to take over the no 9 role when this transpires.

If it were me I would try to think like Fergie and plan two steps ahead, sign Kane now with Greenwood to learn from a proper no. 9 and eventually replace him. Use Martial, Rashford and Sancho for the wings. That would be perfect, a big ask, but we are a big arse club and need to behave like one. :D

Last edited:

Baneofthegame

I hope I'm wrong but I'm of the belief we will be looking for a top no. 9 once Martial let's Ollie down as the main man up top. Again, hope I'm wrong, but I can see that happening.

My hope is that in the meantime Greenwood is ready to take over the no 9 role when this transpires.

If it were me I would try to think like Fergie and plan two steps ahead, sign Kane now with Greenwood to learn from a proper no. 9 and eventually replace him. Use Martial, Rashford and Sancho for the wings. That would be perfect, a big ask, but we are a big arse club and need to behave like one. :D
Yeah 300 million on two players, we should put in an offer for Messi so Sancho can learn from the best on the RW as well.

RUCK4444

Yeah 300 million on two players, we should put in an offer for Messi so Sancho can learn from the best on the RW as well.
You think Kane goes for 200 mill when Spurs are trying to pay for a new stadium whilst it’s feckin empty? Hmmm I doubt it.

Plus the initial cash paid up front for Sancho will be considerably less than 100 mill.

Just sayin, we are a big team and we should have some big balls to make the most of the situation.

Baneofthegame

You think Kane goes for 200 mill when Spurs are trying to pay for a new stadium whilst it’s feckin empty? Hmmm I doubt it.

Plus the initial cash paid up front for Sancho will be considerably less than 100 mill.

Just sayin, we are a big team and we should have some big balls to make the most of the situation.
Would you sell Kane for 100 million to a rival if you owned Spurs? Teams will want a lot of money upfront for players especially during this crisis.

I’d love for us to have Kane and Sancho, but Sancho alone would be difficult enough this window.

United Pro

There are several strikers available on a free transfer this summer:

Dzyuba - Experienced, captain of Russia and the best player currently in the Russian league. Very good in the air and good hold up play - an upgrade on what Ighalo can do and gives us another more direct option up front.
Cavani - Will arguably be first choice for us, quality back up at the least. Will be on huge wages, but over a 2 year contract would be equivalent to paying £15m on a transfer fee and £150k a week wages.
Mertens - Would push Martial for a place in the starting line up. Although, reportedly he's likely to sign a new contract.

Kag

I’d keep Ighalo given the chance. Jimenez would be a great purchase if it were cost effective (I’m not sure it would be). The fine composition of experience and ability: good enough to start games and score goals, not good enough to merit spending upwards of £70 million and block pathways beneath him.

Greenwood is going to be a killer; there isn’t the slightest hint of doubt in my mind about that. As long as the club can bring in a quality winger and more creativity in midfield (especially if Pogba leaves) then I’m more than happy to go into next season with Martial, Greenwood and somebody like Ighalo to get the goals. Bruno and Pogba (again, if he stays) have plenty of goals in them.

RooneyLegend

Luis Muriel. Has a similar game to Martial, has shown this season he can score at an amazing rate in a functioning team. He's also versatile and would add depth on our left. Perfect signing really.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Wilson and Pukki will probably go for cheap if their respective side get relegated.

beingshe7don

I think we've lost the boat of signing Haaland. Firstly, the future of Pogba plays a huge part if we try to land Haaland. On top of that, they sold O Dembele for 105m, they want more for Sancho and Sancho's fee will have a bearing on Haaland's fee since Haaland scores a lot of goals.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Dembele from Lyon who seems like a United fan. He's no star striker but he could get you the goals.

Another cheap alternative is Eduoard from Celtic. I think we can get him for 30m.

Number32

I don't think any striker on his prime wants to be a back up striker here.

Danny Ings wants to start, thats why he left Liverpool.

Unpopular Opinion:

Jay Rodriguez, available for 4 millions.
This guy was a world class striker before he had a broken knee, can play on the wing too RW/LW. He has 6 goals from the bench, despite barely played 90 minutes, and scored a brilliant goal at Old Trafford.
We have to be quick, because Burnley desperately need the money to cover their financial problem post-pandemic crisis.

Resch

Shon Weissman, scorded 30 (37 overall in 40 appearances, 5 in the Cup and 2 in the EL) goals in the Austrian Bundesliga for WAC. Would be a gamble, but available for 5 mill. €, 24 years and still room to develop. WAC is a small Austrian team, but they play perfect as a team, finished 3rd this year. Also played in the EL this year, beat Mönchengladbach 4:0, 2 Points against Roma, just to loose against Istanbul BB twice (Robinho, Demba Ba, Skrtel, Clichy...).
At the moment Celtic seems to be interested.
Goal .....hat a goal

Vissy

Mandzukic as a rotation option would be ideal honestly... he's a good player, and a big tree besides that.

Lynty

Why do we need a striker? Least of our concerns.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ighalo is the cheap backup bench option isn't he?! At least until Jan.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We won't sign anyone until Ighalo's loan ends in January. At that point we'll make a decision depending on how Greenwood is going. If he looks like he's ready to start playing a decent amount of games as a striker then we'll just go forward with Martial and Greenwood (with Rashford as our emergency option). If not, then we'll probably try to get Ighalo back yet again and perhaps Josh King if we can't.

beingshe7don

Odsonne Eduoard. Before the pandemic, he was being quoted for 30m. I think a cheeky bid of 18m could be tempting.

Dan_F

Ighalo is the cheap backup bench option isn't he?! At least until Jan.
Definitely. He’s turned out to be a pretty clever signing, make you’re own mind up about whether it’s luck or not.

I really enjoy the fact he’s a United fan. Probably just being sentimental and idealist, but I don’t see him putting in the same amount of effort for any other team.

davidmichael

Isn’t Ighalo loaned to us til January ? If so then that’s enough and by then Greenwood would have another half season experience, we need a right forward and an out and out defensive midfielder.