Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bakayoko only stood out for me in the CL as looking like a terribly overrated player.
Exactly. CL thread was full of "how clumsy he is on the ball" "fellainiesque" posts and it looked more closer to the truth than what few Chelsea fans are saying now.

In the 6 he was the only player who looked technically decent when rest all looked technically very good.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He moves the ball more quickly than Matic does and is more comfortable with either foot from what I've seen. In addition, he will also dribble with the ball (like Matic used to do when he first came back) to break pressure, which will be key I think-we don't really have anyone who does that from central midfield at the moment.
Yes, the dribbling part is obvious, as is a general upgrade in mobility and physicality compared to current Matic. It remains to be seen how a Kanté/Bakayoko CM fares in possession. I would have preferred a Gündogan or Rakitic type of offensive CM (the midfield is covered by a back three, after all), but Conte perhaps wants a bit of height, too. Should Bakayoko come and it works well, I'll be happy to admit having underestimated him.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
With Sandro and Bakayoko I doubt a team like Spurs will be able to overrun us in midfield, I see sparks flying when Bakayoko comes up against Dembele.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Gonna be interesting to see what happens if Costa goes and Lukaku does not come in.

Bastshuayi, Remy and Brown as our forwards? :eek:
You will get Morata then, Belotti still too unproven I think.

Perez will take you to the cleaners though, perhaps even ask for a certain Belgian :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If Lukaku does sign for us it's just another example of Abramovich tightening the purse strings (note they seem to be struggling to make progress with the Sandro and Bakayoko deals as well)

Last summer their only notable signings were Alonso and Luiz correct? And Luiz was hardly Conte's first choice CB either

The summer before just Pedro?

You have to go back 3 summers for their last noticeable investment of Matic (January), Costa and Fabregas all of whom were actually bought for fairly reasonable fees

Nick7

If Lukaku does sign for us it's just another example of Abramovich tightening the purse strings (note they seem to be struggling to make progress with the Sandro and Bakayoko deals as well)

Last summer their only notable signings were Alonso and Luiz correct? And Luiz was hardly Conte's first choice CB either

The summer before just Pedro?

You have to go back 3 summers for their last noticeable investment of Matic (January), Costa and Fabregas all of whom were actually bought for fairly reasonable fees
They spent £118m last summer. Kante and Batshuayi for £33m each.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not bothered that united have got Lukaku I'm just concerned about landing Belotti or Morata (if that makes sense) whilst not being proven in the prem both them players would suit our style of football a lot more and vice versa for Lukaku with united really. I'm just praying the board crack straight onto one of the two and get it done quickly.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not bothered that united have got Lukaku I'm just concerned about landing Belotti or Morata (if that makes sense) whilst not being proven in the prem both them players would suit our style of football a lot more and vice versa for Lukaku with united really. I'm just praying the board crack straight onto one of the two and get it done quickly.
You will be forced to pay through the nose for either. If Costa goes you'll be held to random now.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
You will be forced to pay through the nose for either. If Costa goes you'll be held to random now.
Belotti has a release clause so the amount doesn't change regardless of our situation, if we pay the fee its just down to us agreeing terms. As for Morata it was quoted that they want around £75m which is what we would've paid for Lukaku anyway so don't really see the paying through the nose aspect.

TheReligion

Abusive
Belotti has a release clause so the amount doesn't change regardless of our situation, if we pay the fee its just down to us agreeing terms. As for Morata it was quoted that they want around £75m which is what we would've paid for Lukaku anyway so don't really see the paying through the nose aspect.
Belotti has a clause of £88m. Massively overpriced and unproven.

The best you could get would be Morata but he'll be about 80m and Perez is difficult to work with.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Belotti has a clause of £88m. Massively overpriced and unproven.

The best you could get would be Morata but he'll be about 80m and Perez is difficult to work with.
Agreed but if Conte believes in Belotti then I more than trust him and he knows Serie A better than anyone. Whilst he would be overpaid he is probably the most technically gifted striker available and has massive potential, he wont have it much easier in the prem either than playing in a front three with Hazard & Pedro. As for Morata I would happily take him for 80M in todays market, a player of the bench that managed to outscore the entire Madrid squad bar Ronaldo and who Conte has wanted for multiple years... yes please.

TheReligion

Abusive
Agreed but if Conte believes in Belotti then I more than trust him and he knows Serie A better than anyone. Whilst he would be overpaid he is probably the most technically gifted striker available and has massive potential, he wont have it much easier in the prem either than playing in a front three with Hazard & Pedro. As for Morata I would happily take him for 80M in todays market, a player of the bench that managed to outscore the entire Madrid squad bar Ronaldo and who Conte has wanted for multiple years... yes please.
The issue is missing out on Conte's first choice Lukaku who will cost less money than the other two.

I'm not sure how it's happened but seems United have played a binder. Conte is going to be furious.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
He's apparently been given the number 17 shirt this season (Pedro and Hazard's old number). I'd be delighted if he does make the firts team squad this season.

Fun video here comparing him to Ronaldo (bit much there!)
Damn. That's uncanny. You can really see the Ronaldo influence on him. One to watch out for next season then.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
The issue is missing out on Conte's first choice Lukaku who will cost less money than the other two.

I'm not sure how it's happened but seems United have played a binder. Conte is going to be furious.
Yeah but then I have seen also a lot of conflicting reports that Chelsea didn't actually want Lukaku and tbh he has always preferred the move to us... so if we wanted him this bad why not match your offer, or why make no offer whatsoever since the window has been opened? I'm not sure whether he wants Lukaku/Morata or Belloti to many conflicting reports and the standard of journalism is at an all time prem low.

AshfordLad

If the club didnt pay £75m for Lukaku then there is very little chance that they will pay £80m for Morata and exactly zero chance of paying £88m for Belotti how ever much may Conte rate him.

I mean this is the transfer team that bought Djilobodji after failing to get Stones.

We should be getting comfortable with the possibile lineup of Llorente, Batshuayi and Brown for the CF position this season

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why hadn't it been wrapped up by now? And the same for Bakayoko? People on this forum love to give shit to Woodward and whatever else, but Chelsea have been real sluggish in the window so far.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yeah. Have no idea why people praise Chelsea so much for their dealings.

AshfordLad

Until last year we were very efficient.
Buying Djilobodji and Hector to fill a starting CB spot was efficient?

And if it wasnt for Conte's genius, we were on course to retain out 10th spot from two seasons back with a back 4 of Alonso-Luiz-Cahill-Azpi

cyberman

Here's the problem with the Morata stat.
Ronaldo is Ronaldo but Benzema was dire last year. That's the established 2nd goalscorer out of the equation. And Bale was injury ravaged last season.
Who does that leave Morata competing against in the goal scoring ranks? Modric? Kroos?
I'd have backed Giroud to be second top scorer in that situation.

Robbie Boy

Buying Djilobodji and Hector to fill a starting CB spot was efficient?

And if it wasnt for Conte's genius, we were on course to retain out 10th spot from two seasons back with a back 4 of Alonso-Luiz-Cahill-Azpi
Two absolute legends tbf.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It have looked the last couple of windows.

Edit: why do you think that is exactly? What's changed?
Goodness knows. For years we got good prices for players, and usually did good early business (except for strikers where we were just cursed). Recently its just felt like a bit of a mess, which is weird as I believe its still the same negotiation team.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Goodness knows. For years we got good prices for players, and usually did good early business (except for strikers where we were just cursed). Recently its just felt like a bit of a mess, which is weird as I believe its still the same negotiation team.
Thanks. From the outside though it looks as though Roman isn't willing to let the club spend as much.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Thanks. From the outside though it looks as though Roman isn't willing to let the club spend as much.
When FFP was still a thing I know the club were working hard to turn us into a self-sufficient business, so we weren't as reliant on Roman just pumping in cash forever. A vast amount of work was done on the academy system and that's still failing at the last hurdle, although still very profitable. We still seem perfectly happy to spend at the 30-35m kind of level even for prospects like Batshuayi, but we just haven't followed the other big teams with the top level spending as its ramped up. I think I'm right in saying that Torres is still the only player we've spent more than 35m on. I guess this window will tell us a lot about the clubs intentions.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
When FFP was still a thing I know the club were working hard to turn us into a self-sufficient business, so we weren't as reliant on Roman just pumping in cash forever. A vast amount of work was done on the academy system and that's still failing at the last hurdle, although still very profitable. We still seem perfectly happy to spend at the 30-35m kind of level even for prospects like Batshuayi, but we just haven't followed the other big teams with the top level spending as its ramped up. I think I'm right in saying that Torres is still the only player we've spent more than 35m on. I guess this window will tell us a lot about the clubs intentions.
Wow, didn't know Torres was your record signing :). Chelsea did seem to take FFP seriously though but you should be able to spend big when necessary.

AshfordLad

Wow, didn't know Torres was your record signing :). Chelsea did seem to take FFP seriously though but you should be able to spend big when necessary.
I dont think its the FFP. It has to be the upcoming stadium expansion that has our purse strings tightened.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah but then I have seen also a lot of conflicting reports that Chelsea didn't actually want Lukaku and tbh he has always preferred the move to us... so if we wanted him this bad why not match your offer, or why make no offer whatsoever since the window has been opened? I'm not sure whether he wants Lukaku/Morata or Belloti to many conflicting reports and the standard of journalism is at an all time prem low.
I think it's pretty obvious you did want him and for whatever reason it's gone pear shaped. Conte is livid by all accounts.

I know you were really keen to get him too.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I dont think its the FFP. It has to be the upcoming stadium expansion that has our purse strings tightened.
It would make sense, even for a billionaire it can't be that easy to just find £500m. Definitely good for the club in the long run though, the stadium is the one area where we currently can't compete with the other big clubs.