Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Last season, no doubt. Don't think there'd be a place for Matic in this coming season's XI, though.
The problem didn't arise from Matic being a big loss to the team more that he was replaced with a player who performed poorly (Bakayoko)

This season that has has been rectified with hopefully the player we needed Matic to be (Jorghinho) in terms of the passing and dictating the play

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Unless we're expecting Morata to get 20+ in the league and for Willian and Pedro to suddenly morph into reliable goal scorers, I still just fail to see where enough goals will come from.

I feel like entering the season without signing a single attacking player is crazy.
It depends how we play the 4 3 3. The goals can be spread out across the front 3, the AM and the rest of the team. In 04/05 when we switched to 4 3 3 the first time the goals were very spread out, Lampard our top scorer only got 19. Drogba and Eidur only got 10 & 12 in the league. The key players in that team were the wide forwards, we actually got worse as an attacking team after we sold Robben, Duff for for workman like players, even though Drogba scored a lot more.

Napoli last season were similar, Mertens was the top scorer with 22 in 48 games including penalties and free kicks. The wide forwards, midfielders all chipped in with a few, even their defenders got 13 between them in the league. That has to be partly the style of football Sarri is playing and good set piece work in training. Very different from how Conte and Mourinho have had us playing in the last 5 or so seasons.

I think the most effective way to play 4 3 3 is with pacy dribblers in wide positions, and the CF being as much a play maker for the wide forwards and AM as a scorer them self. That role could suit Morata especially, and Giroud pretty well. If they both score 10-15 league goals each that should be enough.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone else think that Alonso might be a perfect fit as the third CM in the box to box / goalscoring role? He's a great presser as well and full of running, plus he's maybe the best finisher in the team outside of Hazard.

---------Courtois / Replacement---------
Azpi - Christensen - Rudiger - Emerson
----------------Jorginho-------------------
----Kante---------------------Alonso-----
Willian---------Morata------------Hazard

I really don't think Alonso is a good fit at LB; not a good enough defender 1v1 and he wouldn't be able to get into the box as much where he's a huge asset.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I'm concerned Morata isn't going to get the goals we require. I've seen him preseason and he looks the same as he finished last season. Going to ground too easily, not using his strength when should to shoulder and his first touch letting him down. I just think we need Higuaine. I think Batshuayi would be a better bet than Morata. If we can sell Morata now we would recoup more financially than at the end of the season.

Callum Hudson- Odoi looks like the best young talent I have seen on the periphery of the team for a long time. We should put him on the bench and bring him on if we need to create more up front. At some point I'm not sold on Loftus Cheek but we should also give him a season in the squad and use him off the bench. As a club we really can't carry on winning youth titles and not try to fit the talent into the squad/team. At some point one of these guys is going to come good and we would really kick ourselves if they did it at another club.

I can't believe we are kicking off the season in less than two weeks, the transfer window closes next Thursday and there are still so many questions over many players future. A lot needs to be resolved in a short period of time. This is when the Board earn their wages. Or not.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I'm concerned Morata isn't going to get the goals we require. I've seen him preseason and he looks the same as he finished last season. Going to ground too easily, not using his strength when should to shoulder and his first touch letting him down. I just think we need Higuaine. I think Batshuayi would be a better bet than Morata. If we can sell Morata now we would recoup more financially than at the end of the season.

Callum Hudson- Odoi looks like the best young talent I have seen on the periphery of the team for a long time. We should put him on the bench and bring him on if we need to create more up front. At some point I'm not sold on Loftus Cheek but we should also give him a season in the squad and use him off the bench. As a club we really can't carry on winning youth titles and not try to fit the talent into the squad/team. At some point one of these guys is going to come good and we would really kick ourselves if they did it at another club.

I can't believe we are kicking off the season in less than two weeks, the transfer window closes next Thursday and there are still so many questions over many players future. A lot needs to be resolved in a short period of time. This is when the Board earn their wages. Or not.
Morata played well last game in pre season though, battled well for the goal, his passing was good and he scored another disallowed goal which was actually on side.

Its a confidence thing for him because as he showed in the first 10/15 games he has the ability.

I think we have enough goals between Batshuayi, Giroud and Morata and healthy competition, we paid a lot of money for Alvaro and he should have this season under Sarri to prove himself.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Morata played well last game in pre season though, battled well for the goal, his passing was good and he scored another disallowed goal which was actually on side.

Its a confidence thing for him because as he showed in the first 10/15 games he has the ability.

I think we have enough goals between Batshuayi, Giroud and Morata and healthy competition, we paid a lot of money for Alvaro and he should have this season under Sarri to prove himself.
I just see another Torres happening before my eyes. You could be right and it would be great to see him get 20 goals this season but I think excuses have been made for him. You are probably right about confidence but he lost it with his one to ones with keepers last season. He hasn't scored in pre season and didn't put his name forward to take a penalty against Inter. I see no signs of it coming back in front of goal. Probably harsh and I hope he proves me outlandishly wrong.

I have been impressed in pre season with the speed and accuracy of our passing. This is a really good sign of confidence throughout the squad. Maybe it will rub off on Morata.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
I just see another Torres happening before my eyes. You could be right and it would be great to see him get 20 goals this season but I think excuses have been made for him. You are probably right about confidence but he lost it with his one to ones with keepers last season. He hasn't scored in pre season and didn't put his name forward to take a penalty against Inter. I see no signs of it coming back in front of goal. Probably harsh and I hope he proves me outlandishly wrong.

I have been impressed in pre season with the speed and accuracy of our passing. This is a really good sign of confidence throughout the squad. Maybe it will rub off on Morata.
I might be misremembering, but didn't Abraham come on for him in the second half?

Not entirely convinced with the striker situation either. At the moment we four strikers when we are likely to play one up top, but I wouldn't trust any of them in an important game. A positive from the pre-season games so far is that the striker has been involved more in the build up by dropping into the space between defenders and midfield and quickly reversing a pass to the inside forwards. Now if they could only score some goals....

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I might be misremembering, but didn't Abraham come on for him in the second half?

Not entirely convinced with the striker situation either. At the moment we four strikers when we are likely to play one up top, but I wouldn't trust any of them in an important game. A positive from the pre-season games so far is that the striker has been involved more in the build up by dropping into the space between defenders and midfield and quickly reversing a pass to the inside forwards. Now if they could only score some goals....
Yes, I stand corrected. Perhaps a sign that Sarri wasn't convinced by him.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
If we’re selling a striker - it has to be Batshuayi. The guy looks like he can’t do anything outside the 18. Poor touch, passing, and strength. At least Morata can has good link up play.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
If we’re selling a striker - it has to be Batshuayi. The guy looks like he can’t do anything outside the 18. Poor touch, passing, and strength. At least Morata can has good link up play.
I would sell Giroud before Batshuayi.

Bats is still young and whilst he has a lot of problems as you say with other parts of the game, he is still a goalscorer.

I think Sarri will like him.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
I would sell Giroud before Batshuayi.

Bats is still young and whilst he has a lot of problems as you say with other parts of the game, he is still a goalscorer.

I think Sarri will like him.
I can get behind that logic Bc he can leave for free in 5 months and I don’t think he has the attributes Sarri wants. The difference is he gives us something different and we could sell Batshuayi for £40m+ IMO.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's just confidence. Batshuayi looked a different player for Dortmund:

Look at some of his touches around the 2 minute mark. He was regularly doing that for Dortmund. I have no doubt if we sell him and he starts playing regularly at another club with the confidence of the manager he will be a very good striker.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I thought Batshuayi was a waste of space. He completely changed my opinion of him after I've watched every game he played for Dortmund. His link up, touch, and finishing were top notch!

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I thought Batshuayi was a waste of space. He completely changed my opinion of him after I've watched every game he played for Dortmund. His link up, touch, and finishing were top notch!
Agreed I think we have to realise tactically how we played under Conte was not suited to Batshuayi.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Giroud is probably our best striker at the moment, last player we should be selling. Then Abraham. It’s a toss up between Michy and Morata after that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Giroud is probably our best striker at the moment, last player we should be selling. Then Abraham. It’s a toss up between Michy and Morata after that.
It should be Morata if the fee is high enough to recoup most of the money you paid last season, then Giroud because he's bang average, then Abraham because he's still young and has shown potential, then Batshuayi because he's your best striker available if given a proper chance and some confidence.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Problem is that Giroud would be terrible in a Sarri system - the 9 doesn't play with his back to goal, and pressing is hugely valued (something Giroud has never shown much consistency or interest in).

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
The most positive thing to come out of this summer must be CHO. Can't believe how electric this kid is, plays with no fear and just keeps driving on -- I just wish he was more selfish, Morata was eating so many chances. Hopefully we see more of the same from him this weekend against City.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
He subbed everyone.
He subbed everyone again last night. I can understand as he wants to look at everyone.
I didn't see the game but listened to most of it on Chelsea TV. Clive Walker, who is usually a fair judge of players, said Morata was having real trouble with his decision making. He also missed a penalty.

Do not get me wrong. I am not a player basher and have supported Chelsea through thick and thin since 1970 but over the years you get to develop instincts about players. As I get older I tend to trust my instincts and for me there are too many signs that Morata isn't going to make it at Chelsea. Trevor Aylott, Bill Garner I've seen a few. My comments about Morata are based on observations about his play. Yes he links up every now and then but far too many times in the second half of last season he went down too easily. He also seemed to have trouble with his one on ones with goalies. He couldn't seem to receive the ball at his feet properly. I was aware my view may have been harsh on the guy and thought he might get his head together over the summer. I see far too few signs he has done this and fear for Chelsea's front line this season. His facial expression is that of a rabbit caught in some headlights. A cliché of some size I know but he looks a bit lost.

It's probably a bit late to do any business with a quality CF and the Higuaín deal seems to have failed. We will probably run with Morata, Batshuay and/or Giroud. We'll see what happens.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
He subbed everyone again last night. I can understand as he wants to look at everyone.
I didn't see the game but listened to most of it on Chelsea TV. Clive Walker, who is usually a fair judge of players, said Morata was having real trouble with his decision making. He also missed a penalty.

Do not get me wrong. I am not a player basher and have supported Chelsea through thick and thin since 1970 but over the years you get to develop instincts about players. As I get older I tend to trust my instincts and for me there are too many signs that Morata isn't going to make it at Chelsea. Trevor Aylott, Bill Garner I've seen a few. My comments about Morata are based on observations about his play. Yes he links up every now and then but far too many times in the second half of last season he went down too easily. He also seemed to have trouble with his one on ones with goalies. He couldn't seem to receive the ball at his feet properly. I was aware my view may have been harsh on the guy and thought he might get his head together over the summer. I see far too few signs he has done this and fear for Chelsea's front line this season. His facial expression is that of a rabbit caught in some headlights. A cliché of some size I know but he looks a bit lost.

It's probably a bit late to do any business with a quality CF and the Higuaín deal seems to have failed. We will probably run with Morata, Batshuay and/or Giroud. We'll see what happens.

He was really poor last night, made me regret my words massively.

Its hard because there is quality there but if he is this devoid of confidence now its hard to see how he will easily pick it really.

If Morata cant perform and Michy doesn't step up I reckon we could see Hazard as a false 9 with Hudson Odoi and Willian either side.

IrishRedDevil

The most positive thing to come out of this summer must be CHO. Can't believe how electric this kid is, plays with no fear and just keeps driving on -- I just wish he was more selfish, Morata was eating so many chances. Hopefully we see more of the same from him this weekend against City.

Great performance from the kid. What an exciting little player, he's rapid. Only 17 but looks to have good strength about him and does his fair bit of tracking back and getting stuck in.

Can he wear red and play RW? :angel:

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Great performance from the kid. What an exciting little player, he's rapid. Only 17 but looks to have good strength about him and does his fair bit of tracking back and getting stuck in.

Can he wear red and play RW? :angel:
Outstanding, bags of natural ability.

He absolutely has to get game time this year, could very easily end up at Rashfords level quickly.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
He was really poor last night, made me regret my words massively.

Its hard because there is quality there but if he is this devoid of confidence now its hard to see how he will easily pick it really.

If Morata cant perform and Michy doesn't step up I reckon we could see Hazard as a false 9 with Hudson Odoi and Willian either side.
It's a problem. If Sarri is coming in with new eyes he will surely see that Morata is a long way off form. His problem is that Tammy is the only other striker he's had available in pre season and he hasn't impressed either. Tammy will go out on loan or be sold. Michy probably isn't fit at the moment so your theory with Hazard as a false 9 and Hudson Odoi and Willian would be an alternative but neither Hazard or Willian are fit.

The Charity shield front 3 could be Pedro, Morata, Odoi. After that and the closing of the window it's anybody's guess. Michy probably.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I had high hopes last year but he seems very Torres-like in his demeanor. I wouldn't cry if we shipped him off in all honesty.

I think a good sports physcologist would do him the world of good.
No need to cry. The board will find it very difficult to accept a loss on their investment just yet.

I would be surprised if Cobham haven't already had him on the couch.

Were he to make a comeback I would eat my hat. That's if I hadn't already consumed all my headwear.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I had high hopes last year but he seems very Torres-like in his demeanor. I wouldn't cry if we shipped him off in all honesty.

He's a very good player and has shown it at Juventus and Madrid.

He definitely has a confidence issue and maybe trying too hard. Should have been with his family yday not playing. Crazy decision.

Don't think he'll ever show what he can do for us unless his Italian wife Alice and his new kids get settled in London. Sounds like they've had a rough 9 months from his Instagram post.

Maybe he should talk to Zola who also bought his Italian kids up in London.

If he can't settle need to sell andan replacement

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I don’t think he’s that good to begin with. A lot of our fans cried when we got Lukaku over him and the beginning of last season gave them even more reason to shed a tear but in the end it turned out we got the better player.

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
At this point I will be disappointed if CHO become new Hazard or Neymar.
He has everything to be on Messi/Ronaldo level!

Anyway someone gets Vidal and Arthur for 60m and someone pays 80m for Bakayoko and Drinkwater?!
Something is clearly wrong with our board.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Is anyone else concerned we’re not linked with anyone since “missing out” on Higuain, Golovin, Caldara, and Rugani?