Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Watch some of our fickle fans start acting like City fans now, gassing us up beyond belief and talking about us playing the bestest football in the land and winning Europa, the PL, Champions league etc, it always happens. It's going to be cringey. I love that Sarri is here, but people start going OTT.
I'm not gassing us up as City will most likely walk the title again this year, unless Liverpool can maybe challenge them. But either way very likely City will be too strong for them.

We aren't in the champions league so we wont be competing for that, but why not be excited.

We've spent 5/6 years watching our best player Hazard frustrated in defensive formations so why not look optimistically at what our new style could be like.

From the situation we were in a week ago or so the fact we have stolen Jorghino from City shows we are still willing to compete in the market also, good signs.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How different? He is sacked when Chelsea can find a replacement
Since January Conte has not only fecked up beyond all comprehension, he has been talking smack about the club at every available opportunity. 10 years ago he would have been fired after Watford.

ti vu

Since January Conte has not only fecked up beyond all comprehension, he has been talking smack about the club at every available opportunity. 10 years ago he would have been fired after Watford.
You could always hire decent interim managers back then. Hiddink stock is now at its lowest after his recent Netherland NT stint. Benitez Ranieri all had clubs. You would have to bend backward to sign Ancelotti or Luis Henriquez mid season as they don't do interim but want a nice contract. So overall this past season, you could have done worse than Conte if you're to sack him there & then. In this case it influenced the team performance, but the dressing room didn't implode with with Scolari, AVB or Mourinho second stint.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You could always hire decent interim managers back then. Hiddink stock is now at its lowest after his recent Netherland NT stint. Benitez Ranieri all had clubs. You would have to bend backward to sign Ancelotti or Luis Henriquez mid season as they don't do interim but want a nice contract. So overall this past season, you could have done worse than Conte if you're to sack him there & then. In this case it influenced the team performance, but the dressing room didn't implode with with Scolari, AVB or Mourinho second stint.
Being a shot in the arm type interim manager isn't actually that difficult a job and most could do it, as Sherwood, Juande Ramos and Di Matteo (i love him but he's a poor manager) showed, it only really requires one skill which is not be like the manager that's just left.

We were in such a rut at one point that almost anyone half competant would have been an upgrade in the short term.

ti vu

Being a shot in the arm type interim manager isn't actually that difficult a job and most could do it, as Sherwood, Juande Ramos and Di Matteo (i love him but he's a poor manager) showed, it only really requires one skill which is not be like the manager that's just left.

We were in such a rut at one point that almost anyone half competant would have been an upgrade in the short term.
I can't say you're wrong, but here I will have to agree to disagree here. Chelsea Grant, Hiddink, Benitez, Di Matteo episode was when they had nothing to lose while having the resources to turn it over with interim coaches. This Chelsea was still in good position to try push for top 4 and win FA Cup (they did). Barcelona was always favorite for that tie whoever the manager is when looking at Chelsea resource (playing staffs). There was no much you can do. There were no great cheap temporary option in transfer market as this team need a better forward. Giroud would always be the best you could get. You don't buy Aubameyang if you don't have long term plan. You might not waste money on Barkley but no one else to buy to help with midfield. Same with the defense and wing back. When you look back at those interim episode, the managers can fall back on quality of the players. This Chelsea team quality is scarce as ever

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea
That's the main issue for me, he wasted no oportunity to tell the world how bad his squad is. He's a very good coach but it feels like he wasn't commited to the club, even though I think his work didn't suffer since he seems to be a hard worker nonetheless. Whish him all the best and he wont be out of work long anyway, maybe one of the Milan clubs will get him to challenge Juve.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That's the main issue for me, he wasted no oportunity to tell the world how bad his squad is. He's a very good coach but it feels like he wasn't commited to the club, even though I think his work didn't suffer since he seems to be a hard worker nonetheless. Whish him all the best and he wont be out of work long anyway, maybe one of the Milan clubs will get him to challenge Juve.
I just find his entire actions truly bizarre. I was warned by Italian friends that the humble nature he displayed in 16/17 wouldn't last and boy they weren't wrong. It's like he initially realishes the challenge of taking on a club in a tricky situation then when he gets them out of the rut gets bored and wants to play real life football manager.

jmaggio

Apparently Chelsea have fired Conte with cause for reasons relating to his behaviour. For instance , the text messaged that conte sent to Costa before he left. This would mean that Antonio and his staff would not be paid
Their remaining salaries. Unreal work from roman there, another court case incoming ... :lol:

criticalanalysis

Chelsea and open expansive football just makes me think of Scolari and Ancelotti.

Shine bright and burn out quick.

Still that got them a league title so maybe not a bad deal?

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea and open expansive football just makes me think of Scolari and Ancelotti.

Shine bright and burn out quick.

Still that got them a league title so maybe not a bad deal?
I read this morning Conte was the second longest tenured under Roman. We only know for sure this is burning out quickly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This is a great amount of f*cktery that Chelsea is doing. I guess they were organized and let Sarri plan the pre-season in "secret", because otherwise this will cause them harm in the long run.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
apparently they've sacked Conte with just cause to avoid paying any compo, this could get really messy

UnseenMaster

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely disgusting behavior from Chelsea. If I were a manager, I would think twice before joining our club. Have a feeling this is going to bite us in the ass.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
apparently they've sacked Conte with just cause to avoid paying any compo, this could get really messy
Fairly standard from Roman if he gets annoyed. Look what happened to Mutu!

I think Roman was very annoyed with Conte's behaviour last season. Firstly the Costa text, constantly criticising the board etc, fell out with Luiz, Bakayoko, Willian and other players. It looked like Conte was trying to get sacked and get his £9m at certain points last season.

Roman does like a good court case and it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to push it just because he feels he has been wronged by Conte?

Can't blame the club this time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hoping Sarri plays Barkley and gets the best out of him in that advanced 8/10 role like he did with Hamsik.

Hazard Higuain Mertens
Barkley Kante
Jorginho
Alonso Rudiger Christensen Azpiliqueta
Courtois

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
Good thing you're not a manager then. I like Conte, but his behavior last season was bordering on unprofessional. He caused us to sell Costa for less than he was worth, and there are reports he refused to respond to calls, text or emails during the break before the start of the season. Plus, he was constantly whining to the media.I would have liked him to stay, but it came to a point where the board had to say enough is enough. Most of the recent sackings, including Conte's and Mourinho's, have been with just cause.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
They'll win the league and then Sarri will be gone in the next 12 months or so. Same old story.

Flying_Heckfish

Fairly standard from Roman if he gets annoyed. Look what happened to Mutu!

I think Roman was very annoyed with Conte's behaviour last season. Firstly the Costa text, constantly criticising the board etc, fell out with Luiz, Bakayoko, Willian and other players. It looked like Conte was trying to get sacked and get his £9m at certain points last season.

Roman does like a good court case and it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to push it just because he feels he has been wronged by Conte?

Can't blame the club this time.
Agreed. At times he was begging for the bullet.

Really grinds that you still managed to best us in the cup, despite everything.