Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Certainly agree more investment is needed. I'd prefer Donnarumma though over other available keepers - I know he had a middling 17/18 season but much of that may have been due to his contract situation. He's also more likely to come cheap than Pickford at least IMO.
I'd like us to try and sign Arrizabalaga, don't trust the English ones to step up under the pressure of playing for Chelsea. Donnarumma's contract situation was very unsavoury and that would put me off signing him, also he was pretty awful last season?

Also like us to give Batshuayi a try, he seems like a good guy and he was clinical for Dortmund before his injury. Looked like a different player to the one at Chelsea, would be good if he can bring that form for us. I think our squad is pretty good, just need like for like replacements if we sell anyone. Sarri needs to develop the young and fringe players we have, no real need for more signings IMO.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'd like us to try and sign Arrizabalaga, don't trust the English ones to step up under the pressure of playing for Chelsea. Donnarumma's contract situation was very unsavoury and that would put me off signing him, also he was pretty awful last season?

Also like us to give Batshuayi a try, he seems like a good guy and he was clinical for Dortmund before his injury. Looked like a different player to the one at Chelsea, would be good if he can bring that form for us. I think our squad is pretty good, just need like for like replacements if we sell anyone. Sarri needs to develop the young and fringe players we have, no real need for more signings IMO.
I like Arrizabalaga a lot, though not sure Chelsea have the muscle to sign him if Madrid couldn't manage it. Donnarumma wasn't great last season (awful is a bit strong IMO, but he definitely wasn't as good as the previous year), but that whole Milan side was so dysfunctional that some regression almost seems inevitable. Also, his contract situation wasn't ideal, but given that he was on a youth team contract whilst being the undisputed first choice I find it understandable that he would play hardball in the negotiations.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Really hope that Sarri gives a chance to Hudson-Odoi and RLC instead of buying mediocre players(Drinkwater ftw!) to block their progress. I don't dislike Chelsea too much, so it'd be cool to see academy prospects doing well.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Really hope that Sarri gives a chance to Hudson-Odoi and RLC instead of buying mediocre players(Drinkwater ftw!) to block their progress. I don't dislike Chelsea too much, so it'd be cool to see academy prospects doing well.
Nizaar Kinsella who is usually reliable for Chelsea related news was facing a lot of flack from Football Twitter after reporting that Golovin was agreed and set to be Chelsea's first summer signing (This was during the world cup). He took to twitter last night to explain that Golovin was agreed and ready to join but Jorghino changed that and was essentially signed first, Chelsea then didn't go fully in for Golovin or raise there bid due to having a lot of midfield options.

To me this indicates that Barkley and RLC will most likely get minutes this year and will have a chance, I also think we wont go for another midfielder this window now and Drinkwater will most likely leave.

Hudson Odoi simply put has to play, he needs minutes this year and with Willian & Pedro not getting any younger he needs to be given chances to displace them. He is good enough.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
What happened to the Thiago rumours?

Thiago-Kante-Jorginho midfield. :drool:

The muppet season is getting to me.

UnseenMaster

Supports
Chelsea
What happened to the Thiago rumours?

Thiago-Kante-Jorginho midfield. :drool:

The muppet season is getting to me.
“He is an important player for us. We have never even thought about him leaving the club. There is nothing at all in this story”

-Karl-Heinz Rummenigge; source: Sport Bild via Inside Futbol

Was never gonna happen. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
“He is an important player for us. We have never even thought about him leaving the club. There is nothing at all in this story”

-Karl-Heinz Rummenigge; source: Sport Bild via Inside Futbol

Was never gonna happen. :(
You shouldn't take that too serious. Rummenigge recently criticized Grindel for the scapegoating of Özil only for Hoeneß going rampage against Özil a few days later.

Rummenigge's statements don't have the importance they used to have anymore. Hoeneß is where the power is again and he isn't even half as open to globalization and modernization as Rummenigge was (and even he wasn't particularly open to it). Hoeneß is known to be one of the biggest critics of Thiago, Lewandowski and the James transfer. He prefers to do it "the old way" with cheap German national players instead of expensive foreign stars.

Still possible that Hoeneß exercises his authority and forces Thiago out if there's a good offer. As dumb as it sounds.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Looking more and more like we're going to be going the entire preseason without buying anyone else and then panic buying at the very end of the window again. Which means the start of the PL may be turbulent as we try to bed in players who didn't get a chance to train under Sarri before the season started.

Annoying that we can't get business done early. Although this summer that seems to be the case with several of the big clubs. Think Arsenal and Liverpool will benefit from this since they each got their business done early.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Looking more and more like we're going to be going the entire preseason without buying anyone else and then panic buying at the very end of the window again. Which means the start of the PL may be turbulent as we try to bed in players who didn't get a chance to train under Sarri before the season started.

Annoying that we can't get business done early. Although this summer that seems to be the case with several of the big clubs. Think Arsenal and Liverpool will benefit from this since they each got their business done early.
Do chelsea really need to buy that much? I think its time they integrated their outstanding youth talents who have been on loan. And surely Sarri will be able to get the best out of Bakayoko, Barkely, Morata and even a Drinkwater. On top of re establishing David Luiz I think Chelsea will surprise many again this season just like when they got Conte

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Do chelsea really need to buy that much? I think its time they integrated their outstanding youth talents who have been on loan. And surely Sarri will be able to get the best out of Bakayoko, Barkely, Morata and even a Drinkwater. On top of re establishing David Luiz I think Chelsea will surprise many again this season just like when they got Conte
I think we'll be fine with what we have in defense and midfield. It's our attack I'm concerned about. Assuming at this point that Hazard is staying because it's too late in the window. Even if he does, we were the lowest scorers amongst the big clubs last season. Unless Morata makes a massive leap in goal scoring it could be suicidal to enter the season with the exact same attacking options.

This is why many Chelsea fans are happy to see Willian leave for a huge sum. Replace him with a goal scoring wide player.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

I'm quite happy with the squad. If anyone leaves though, like Courtois, we need to replace like for like. Wondering if we're trying to get Navas as part of the Courtois deal and if we'll let Courtois go if we don't have a replacement signed?

I think Morata and Batshuayi are both very good strikers, in the right environment.

Morata started last season well, his confidence took a big hit after the Arsenal game though in January. Conte was too harsh with him and damaged his confidence a lot. He was in his first season in a different league, country and city. He also needs to get used to English referees, similar to Costa (who just doesn't get any agro in La Liga). I think he's at the stage in his development where he needs to be starting the vast majority of games and if he's settled in London and confident he'll be a top player for us.

Batshuayi showed what he can do at Dortmund, 7 goals in 9 games. Wondering if Sarri's style will suit them both much better. Giroud is a great option off the bench, now making the world cup is out of the way presumably starting games won't be such a big issue with him.

I can see some would think it a risk given Morata and Batshuayi didn't play that well last season. Unless there are better proven goal scorers (like Higuain) we can get easily I would rather give them a chance to show there quality. If they leave I'm sure they'd both show it in any other European league.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think we'll be fine with what we have in defense and midfield. It's our attack I'm concerned about. Assuming at this point that Hazard is staying because it's too late in the window. Even if he does, we were the lowest scorers amongst the big clubs last season. Unless Morata makes a massive leap in goal scoring it could be suicidal to enter the season with the exact same attacking options.

This is why many Chelsea fans are happy to see Willian leave for a huge sum. Replace him with a goal scoring wide player.
Part of this is regression to the mean - Chelsea finished with something like 62 xG during Conte's first season, and with ~59 xG last year. In terms of actual output though, the difference was 80 goals vs. 62. A lot of this has to do with Costa leaving as top strikers regularly outperform their xG totals - so ultimately you'd be hard pressed to say that Chelsea created significantly fewer opportunities in 2017-18 as opposed to the title-winning season.

Here's hoping Sarri installs his much more effective attacking system, which doesn't depend on individual brilliance to be in positions to score goals. As much as I'd love to swap Willian for Martial, it's also objectively true that Willian is significantly better than Callejon, who Sarri turned into quite a competent goal-scorer.

UnseenMaster

Supports
Chelsea
You shouldn't take that too serious. Rummenigge recently criticized Grindel for the scapegoating of Özil only for Hoeneß going rampage against Özil a few days later.

Rummenigge's statements don't have the importance they used to have anymore. Hoeneß is where the power is again and he isn't even half as open to globalization and modernization as Rummenigge was (and even he wasn't particularly open to it). Hoeneß is known to be one of the biggest critics of Thiago, Lewandowski and the James transfer. He prefers to do it "the old way" with cheap German national players instead of expensive foreign stars.

Still possible that Hoeneß exercises his authority and forces Thiago out if there's a good offer. As dumb as it sounds.
I'm not an expert about the Bundesliga so I'll keep that in mind. Still don't see this happening but wouldn't be against it if it did. Think he would fit in well at Chelsea.

Are you still seeing rumours about Thiago or have they died down?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think we'll be fine with what we have in defense and midfield. It's our attack I'm concerned about. Assuming at this point that Hazard is staying because it's too late in the window. Even if he does, we were the lowest scorers amongst the big clubs last season. Unless Morata makes a massive leap in goal scoring it could be suicidal to enter the season with the exact same attacking options. This is why many Chelsea fans are happy to see Willian leave for a huge sum. Replace him with a goal scoring wide player.
The truth is last season the problems with Chelsea's attack were all down to Conte. His style became too reactive and he stuck with Morata too long. It strongly stiffled Chelsea's attacking potential which for me will be fully unleashed under a Sarri

Under Sarri I fully expect a settled Morata, Giroud and even a Tammy Abraham if kept, to be able to get goals aplenty. For I believe they will have Jorginho and Fabregas backed up by Kante supplying them excellently and that should be a very creative midfield. Well covered by Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Loftus-Cheek. In addition, If Hazaard and Willian are convinced to stay, they along with Pedro , a rejuvenated Barkley and possibly either Hudson-Odoi or Musonda as the young player chosen to be cover for the season, will be ample support for any center forward Sarri might choose to empty from game to game. Which will even get more potent if the interest in Higuain actually become a transfer.

Honestly I personally believe even without any major signings Chelsea will seriously challenge for the tittle next season. Simply by change in playing philosophy and better behind the scenes harmony.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not an expert about the Bundesliga so I'll keep that in mind. Still don't see this happening but wouldn't be against it if it did. Think he would fit in well at Chelsea.

Are you still seeing rumours about Thiago or have they died down?
In all honesty, I have a little bit of WC hangover. Don't follow the Bundesliga and transfer rumours as much as I usually do so I can't really say something substantial concerni the Thiago situation. I just recognized how the distribution of powers at Bayern has shifted and that they could retreat to a much more conservative approach again now that Hoeneß seems to have taken over the responsibility again. Not good for the Bundesliga and Bayern if you ask me.

I'd also love to see Thiago under Sarri. Also because he's one of my favourite players and I hate when those play for Bayern.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Seen bits of the inter game. This Hudson-Odoi looks some player

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Congrats to Morata, two baby boys today.

You'd better be back in training tomorrow, don't wanna piss off the manager.
:lol:
Careful now mate, don't say these things here.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea should sign someone like Lanzini when he's fit again in January.

Midfield of Kante-Jorginho-Lanzini looks very exciting to me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea should sign someone like Lanzini when he's fit again in January.

Midfield of Kante-Jorginho-Lanzini looks very exciting to me.
Believe that he's had a much more catastrophic injury - has done both ligaments, not just his ACL. Last I saw he's been ruled out for 15 months.

I'm very intrigued at the recent reports that we're in for Aaron Ramsey - exactly the sort of midfielder to do an approximation of Hamsik. Think he could also go up a level playing in a midfield with proper players around him providing structure, as well.

Kilmonger

Supports
Chelsea
Congrats to Morata, two baby boys today.

You'd better be back in training tomorrow, don't wanna piss off the manager.
The man does know how to score still after all.

Congrats to him! Hopefully, those kids will enjoy growing up in Milan (this is not me being petty).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Believe that he's had a much more catastrophic injury - has done both ligaments, not just his ACL. Last I saw he's been ruled out for 15 months.

I'm very intrigued at the recent reports that we're in for Aaron Ramsey - exactly the sort of midfielder to do an approximation of Hamsik. Think he could also go up a level playing in a midfield with proper players around him providing structure, as well.
Presumably we're thinking about our home grown quota as well, maybe?

I've been thinking about our midfield. Kante and Jorginho are surely going to start as 2/3 of our first choice midfield, leaving only one spot for a more attacking player. Who will presumably need to break in to the box and need to score goals, like Lampard used to when we played 4 3 3 in the first years of Mourinho. Who will play as the third midfielder, or will we rotate a few till someone nails the position down?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Presumably we're thinking about our home grown quota as well, maybe?

I've been thinking about our midfield. Kante and Jorginho are surely going to start as 2/3 of our first choice midfield, leaving only one spot for a more attacking player. Who will presumably need to break in to the box and need to score goals, like Lampard used to when we played 4 3 3 in the first years of Mourinho. Who will play as the third midfielder, or will we rotate a few till someone nails the position down?
Fabregas or Barkley or RLC. I've got a sneaky feeling it will be Barkley.

Drinkwater and Bakayoko have zero chance of being at the club this season. I would not mind Drinkwater staying as a squad player but I've totally given up on Bakayoko, he's Fellaini without the good stuff.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Fabregas likes to play higher up. It might suit him. I feel like he's too similar to Jorginho though. I believe Loftus-Cheek has the quality to play for us, but the club hardly ever puts faith in youth. I'd very much rather play him than Barkley who looked dog-shit whenever he's played so far!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Fabregas likes to play higher up. It might suit him. I feel like he's too similar to Jorginho though. I believe Loftus-Cheek has the quality to play for us, but the club hardly ever puts faith in youth. I'd very much rather play him than Barkley who looked dog-shit whenever he's played so far!
I don't even know if we can count RLC as "youth" anymore. The bloke is 22 and a full international. As for Barkley, he's looked really lean and fit so far in pre-season. I really think he'll play 30+ games for us this season.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't even know if we can count RLC as "youth" anymore. The bloke is 22 and a full international. As for Barkley, he's looked really lean and fit so far in pre-season. I really think he'll play 30+ games for us this season.
You're right, hardly youth anymore. I haven't watched us preseason so far. Hopefully Barkley has a good season.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Barkley has looked excellent in pre-season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Ah only saw his instagram post recently saying he'd be back in January. Shame as he's a quality player.

I agree with you on Ramsey, could be Lampard lite ish if Chelsea signed him with the late runs he could make into the box.

Edit: Always felt his role has been restricted at Arsenal due to the positions Ozil likes to take around the box.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea

Ramsey would be a great signing but I think the club are done shopping in midfield.

Kilmonger

Supports
Chelsea
You're right, hardly youth anymore. I haven't watched us preseason so far. Hopefully Barkley has a good season.
That explains your Barkley opinion. Because he's been one of our best performers in preseason. Has looked really good.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Speaking of youth, good video featuring Chalobah on being a young player trying to break through at a big club like Chelsea. Interesting to hear his unfiltered thoughts.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Fabregas or Barkley or RLC. I've got a sneaky feeling it will be Barkley.

Drinkwater and Bakayoko have zero chance of being at the club this season. I would not mind Drinkwater staying as a squad player but I've totally given up on Bakayoko, he's Fellaini without the good stuff.
Surely you’re exaggerating? We have no other steel in MF behind Kante and there’s a week left in the window. The time for them to leave and be replaced has passed this summer.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
I'm interested to see how Barkley develops under Sarri, a few years ago he was being talked about being one of the best English talents but injuries completely halted his development

I know it's only pre-season but he looks sharp and has had no problems performing in a tactical setup like Sarri's, as the furthest forward in a midfield 3 he could potentially thrive if he can stay fit

We missed out on Golovin who is a very good player but with Barkley and RLC already here I don't feel Golovin was actually needed

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm interested to see how Barkley develops under Sarri, a few years ago he was being talked about being one of the best English talents but injuries completely halted his development

I know it's only pre-season but he looks sharp and has had no problems performing in a tactical setup like Sarri's, as the furthest forward in a midfield 3 he could potentially thrive if he can stay fit

We missed out on Golovin who is a very good player but with Barkley and RLC already here I don't feel Golovin was actually needed
Agreed, it's funny how he is completely forgotten about due to injuries. He could be very important to you if he's looking sharp in pre-season. If you can get him, RLC and Hudson-Odoi in and around the squad, you could have decent squad with a real English stamp on it - which would be great if you can start making that academy actually feed the first team, with all the talent in there..

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
That explains your Barkley opinion. Because he's been one of our best performers in preseason. Has looked really good.
Good to hear that. I was wondering about everyone's newly found faith in Barkley. :D

Last edited:

Javi

Are you guys thinking Sarri will play Kanté and Jorginho as RCM and LCM or one of them centrally a bit backwards?