Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wait to see how the back 4 looks against anyone decent. Huddersfield refused to attack in many games last season and their front players are pretty medicore.

Will actually be an interesting match v Arsenal next week, Conte always seemed to struggle v the Gunners for some reason, think it was 1 win in 6.
Conte had a superior record vs every other top manager he faced at Chelsea bar Klopp who he was equal with. He totally done Simeone, had the better of Poch, repeatedly had Jose on toast but was regularly outsmarted by Wenger, it was bizzare.

AllezLesDiables

Fatzard was awesome in his showcase role, today 6 of 6 dribbles completed with an assist in 14 minutes.

Josep Dowling

I can’t believe Sarri smokes. Surely you have to lead by example?

I think it’s odd that a professional coach can be a heavy smoker.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Still excellent overall - Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Fabregas, Loftus-Cheek, & Drinkwater. Ampadu and Christensen also have experience playing in defensive midfield should an emergency arise.
Oh, that's actually surprisingly good. Also Barkley!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

No fat coaches either They need to lead by example.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You guys should have gone all out on Malcom IMO. Him and Hazard on the wings with Willian & Pedro as backup would be quite good.
Yeah absolutely; still think a new RW needs to be prioritized. Though I would say that the emergence of Hudson-Odoi is hugely encouraging & might have made wing reinforcement less of a priority - hope he gets plenty of minutes this year as he looks a brilliant prospect.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
A bit scared of the Chelsea this season. By some miracle they have kept shit hitting the fan in the summer.

The opening game was too much businesslike efficiency to my liking. Hopefully Sorry-ball will flatten a bit.

Kapardin

If he can't kick it, he can't do anything about it. I assume he has regular health check-ups though considering his wealth, 80 cigarettes a day at his age surely is dangerous for his lungs.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
A bit scared of the Chelsea this season. By some miracle they have kept shit hitting the fan in the summer.

The opening game was too much businesslike efficiency to my liking. Hopefully Sorry-ball will flatten a bit.
Don't think there is a need to be worried, don't think we will be able to reach the consistency required to challenge for the title and probably by the time "Sarri Ball" is in full effect it will be a bit too late but I expect us to look very decent second half of the season.

Its only Liverpool really that can challenge City (not saying they will)

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
If he can't kick it, he can't do anything about it. I assume he has regular health check-ups though considering his wealth, 80 cigarettes a day at his age surely is dangerous for his lungs.
80? Eight zero!? Bloody hell!

Neo_Mufc

Wayne Rooney, Wilshere and Chamakh (Sheesha) all seen puffing away.

IIRC Hector Cuper when he was at Inter Milan used to be seen smoking.

Neo_Mufc

On a more serious note. Watching Chelsea against Huddersfield I think was shaken that whole top 4.

I think they're going to surprise a lot of people now, including myself.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
On a more serious note. Watching Chelsea against Huddersfield I think was shaken that whole top 4.

I think they're going to surprise a lot of people now, including myself.
Not sure why anyone would be surprised, they have a fantastic squad, arguably the best player in the league when he's at his best, arguably the best midfield in the league now, a manager that plays dominant football that will get the fans fully behind them, and most of all, they go up and down every season. They walked the title with Mourinho, then collapsed. Walked the title with Conte, then collapsed. We'll see how they do this season, but everything pointed towards a big boost especially with nothing but the premier league to focus on (he'll probably bin the Europa League or just play back ups, he did the same at Napoli).

I've been saying from the start that while City are obvious favourites, Liverpool and Chelsea could equally push them but those are looking like the top 3 both on paper and expectations.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure why anyone would be surprised, they have a fantastic squad, arguably the best player in the league when he's at his best, arguably the best midfield in the league now, a manager that plays dominant football that will get the fans fully behind them, and most of all, they go up and down every season. They walked the title with Mourinho, then collapsed. Walked the title with Conte, then collapsed. We'll see how they do this season, but everything pointed towards a big boost especially with nothing but the premier league to focus on (he'll probably bin the Europa League or just play back ups, he did the same at Napoli).

I've been saying from the start that while City are obvious favourites, Liverpool and Chelsea could equally push them but those are looking like the top 3 both on paper and expectations.
You reckon Kovacic - Kante - Jorginho is better than David Silva - KdB - Fernandinho?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You reckon Kovacic - Kante - Jorginho is better than David Silva - KdB - Fernandinho?
It's up there for sure. More defensive control, less creativity, dependent on manager probably. Kante is basically equal to De Bruyne from the defensive point of view, Jorginho is quality and Pep himself tried signing him to take over from Fernandinho. But a key factor is also ages. Fernandinho and David Silva are both around 33, kante and Jorginho are both like De Bruyne, just 27. Then you have Kovacic who is younger (and we'll see how he adapts, but I think he'll be quality tbh).

A big part is also managerial. Any other manager in charge of City and Fernandinho, Silva, de bruyne would look a mess IMO. Jorginho, kante and Kovacic is brilliantly balanced for most normal managers and quality.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
We aren't sniffing the title, that's for certain. City and Liverpool are far more advanced in their managers ways than we are and are well oiled machines. United play dreadful football but have Lukaku, Pogba, and a defensive system that can completely lock matches down and see out 3 points when needed.

I think we'll finish 4th behind the aforementioned clubs which will be a successful season. We've got a very good squad of players but are still lacking in a couple of key areas that will hold us back this. Those being striker and LB (assuming Sarri persists with Alonso).

I think if we see off Arsenal this weekend in impressive fashion it'll be a massive confidence boost for the squad. Still think it'll be too early to see either of Hazard or Kovacic from the start though which is unfortunate.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Wonder if Kovacic will start this weekend, if not who would people prefer RLC or Barkley?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wonder if Kovacic will start this weekend, if not who would people prefer RLC or Barkley?
I hope Kovacic is fit and ready as he should suit the system better, already used to a 3 man midfield in a team that pushes high up the pitch from RM. I would go for Barkley if he's not ready, he looked neat and tidy in pre season but I don't think he's used to playing the system or position yet.

Wondering if Fabregas and Hudson Odoi will be in the squad as well?

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I hope Kovacic is fit and ready as he should suit the system better, already used to a 3 man midfield in a team that pushes high up the pitch from RM. I would go for Barkley if he's not ready, he looked neat and tidy in pre season but I don't think he's used to playing the system or position yet.

Wondering if Fabregas and Hudson Odoi will be in the squad as well?
I hope the rumours are true and Hudson Odoi was injured hence not in the squad at the weekend, he needs to be rotated in

I thought Barkley wasn't bad but he didn't turn out and play forward enough where as I feel like RLC is more likely to do this

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
First time ive been nervous about a home game vs Arsenal for years, in recent years it's been a banker (or in last seasons case looked like one).

We could get a lot of joy from pressing Arsenal, especially if Cech starts again, but equally our highline could be vulnerable to Auba's speed, also if Hazard isn't ready we will be starting with 3 attackers who have never played well against Arsenal. This could quite literally be another 6-0 or another 3-5, i would still predict a win for us if pushed, but i wouldn't say it as confidently as i have with this fixture for as long as i can remember.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
First time ive been nervous about a home game vs Arsenal for years, in recent years it's been a banker (or in last seasons case looked like one).

We could get a lot of joy from pressing Arsenal, especially if Cech starts again, but equally our highline could be vulnerable to Auba's speed, also if Hazard isn't ready we will be starting with 3 attackers who have never played well against Arsenal. This could quite literally be another 6-0 or another 3-5, i would still predict a win for us if pushed, but i wouldn't say it as confidently as i have with this fixture for as long as i can remember.
Yeah, I'm pretty nervous about this as well. Mainly because I don't think Hazard is quite ready and because we saw what David Luiz and Alonso looked like against an elite attack in the Community Shield.

Arsenal's front line against our defense which is still learning the system isn't a good matchup.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Seeing Diego Costa's performance against Madrid the other day makes me miss him so much. The guy is just ridiculously ruthless and is capable of causing CBs all sorts of problems. The guy was absolute key in helping us win two League titles

I'm unsure if Morata will ever make it with, he lacks any real ruthlessness and killer instinct and constantly falls down. It's a shame Costa never worked out with us, I'd have liked to see how effective he could have been in a system like Sarri's

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seeing Diego Costa's performance against Madrid the other day makes me miss him so much. The guy is just ridiculously ruthless and is capable of causing CBs all sorts of problems. The guy was absolute key in helping us win two League titles

I'm unsure if Morata will ever make it with, he lacks any real ruthlessness and killer instinct and constantly falls down. It's a shame Costa never worked out with us, I'd have liked to see how effective he could have been in a system like Sarri's
Costa is one of the best strikers in the world
Morata will never even be one of the best strikers in the PL

jmaggio

I’ve said this before in this thread but I really think Chelsea will have another “Boom” season this time around. Sarri plays football which is suited to the league and I think the midfield 3 of Kovacic-Kante-Jorginho is the best in the league potentially.

I don’t mind because I have several Chelsea mates , and If clubs like Chelsea stay strong, it reduces the chances of the scouse winning.