Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
I'd happily take Higuain right now as a short term option, he would be a big upgrade on Giroud and Morata who are basically offering nothing for us right now

While he is in his 30s and isn't in the best of form right now he's a much better goalscorer than our current strikers and Sarri knows him well, think he had his best ever season under Sarri scoring 38 goals.

Also we really should have cashed in on Willian in the Summer, he's actually become less effective in an attacking set up. 4 goals in 29 games simply isn't good enough for an attacking player

Right now if Hazard gets injured we are totally fecked going forward

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Fabregas is going to Monaco. Who will we replace him with? Having no backup to Jorginho for 5 months and probably 40 odd more games this season would seem to be crazy. Club must have someone lined up.

Also wondering if we'll swap Morata somewhere. He hasn't settled and his confidence looks pretty shot.

Kapardin

Also we really should have cashed in on Willian in the Summer, he's actually become less effective in an attacking set up. 4 goals in 29 games simply isn't good enough for an attacking player
Tell that to some of the Mourinhoistas on here, we were nearly suckered into that deal. Assume most Chelsea fans would have liked 40 million for Willian before Mourinho was sacked.

KennyBurner

I don’t rate him as highly as some of you on here however the guy is going to excel under sarri. He has great pace and dribbling skills.

Having hazard on 1 wing already takes so much pressure of him on the other. It’s similar to how Ashley young is so free down the right because everyone is stuck on the left trying to to contain martial.

This is actually a big win for Chelsea regardless of them overpaying for pulisic. They now have good options for if William is playing drunk or Pedro is injured.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looks like Fabregas is going to Monaco. Who will we replace him with? Having no backup to Jorginho for 5 months and probably 40 odd more games this season would seem to be crazy. Club must have someone lined up.

Also wondering if we'll swap Morata somewhere. He hasn't settled and his confidence looks pretty shot.
40more games? Do you think you're winning all of the cups and some?!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hazard saying he's going to make a decision in the summer suggests he's off imo. If he was going to sign an extension, why wait?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Pulisic signs for next season. We definitely need younger wingers for our current style of play. What happens with CHO though?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...ing-christian-pulisic-agrees-chelsea-13802272
With the reported Bayern bids, I guess he's said he would like to leave. If Hazard does go in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if you sign another winger.

Premier League: 18
Europa League: 11
League Cup: 3
FA Cup: 8

40 is the most you can play if you get to the final of all three of Europa League, League Cup and FA Cup - plus going to replays in both the third and fourth round of the FA Cup. It is a lot of games but Sarri seems to like his settled lineups so wouldn't be surprised if he thinks you can cope.

As for possible Morata swap, not sure who would want him - never mind give up one of their players in exchange.

"It's a privilege to sign for such a legendary club."

I'm confused, does he think he's signing for someone else?
He's 20. Chelsea winning the league would probably be one of his earliest memories.

Cloud7

That is an excellent signing for Chelsea. I really thought that United would push the boat out and then some for Pulisic, but well done Chelsea.

Could I be overthinking it, or is this an indication that hazard may be off in the summer and Pulisic is being groomed as his replacement?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
40more games? Do you think you're winning all of the cups and some?!
Was going by 12/13 when we had few extra games in WCC and Super cup. More like 30-35 as long as we progress as expected in Europa, EFL and have reasonable FA cup run.

Cloud7

"It's a privilege to sign for such a legendary club."

I'm confused, does he think he's signing for someone else?
He’s born in 98. By the time he would have been old enough to comprehend football properly, Chelsea would have been on the up, and in general since the Abramovic takeover to the present day they’ve been the most successful English club.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Re Morata: I believe he can play in the CL if required and if we swapped on loan with a striker from a CL team till the end of the season they would also be able play for us in the EL? Not 100% on that though?

Maybe our version of Memphis? Clearly he can be a very good player, has shown it at Juventus and RM before. Hasn't had major injuries, is only 26. His head and family maybe aren't right in London, pining for Italy/Spain? I'm sure in a different environment he could go back to the "old" Morata just as Memphis could barely pass the ball for Utd and now looks class again at Lyon.

Question is if the club think he can sort himself and contribute in the second half of the season? If he's unhappy and not going to play we may as well at least try to swap. Will be interesting to see if he starts tonight.

Alabaster Codify7

He’s born in 98. By the time he would have been old enough to comprehend football properly, Chelsea would have been on the up, and in general since the Abramovic takeover to the present day they’ve been the most successful English club.

Excellent point and something a lot of our fans need to remember when claiming we're a huge attraction - that may not always be the case, unless we start competing at the top sharpish. The new generation of players probably didn't see the true glory days, they will be growing up considering us to be something of an also-ran since 2013.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
To me they are a massively overrated team, imagine if Hazard picked up an injury and was out for 4-5 weeks.

Don't get the narrative that Arsenal are this joke club and Chelsea are amazing and yet the difference in the table after over half a season is a mere three points.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We've conceded 16 goals, joint 2nd best in the league. Half Arsenal. We lack creativity. The premier league lacks decent linesman and VAR or 3 more goals in last two games alone. Hopefully swap Morata somewhere and get new striker, he'll be great in a good Spanish or Italian team.

We've got a platform, changed style this season completely. Sarri in first season. Still in all cups, hopefully win one, again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea don't actually have any WC players beyond Hazard and Kante. Lots of good and very good players even but this isn't a great side by any means. And i'm not sure Sarri is getting the best from them. Think they'd be better served playing more vertical, with more transitions and less possession. Too many players who hog onto the ball too much. Hazard the biggest culprit, although in his case it's usually acceptable. Not so with the likes of Willian, Pedro, Loftus-Cheek, etc....

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And I can’t tell which, but it also either looks bad on Serie A, Chelsea’s squad, or both.
It looks "bad" on Sarri for failing to adapt to the players he has. This chelsea side plays nothing like his Napoli or even Empoli, it can't, and it shouldn't

*for a loose definition of bad. They're on pace for 80 points, which is about right given the quality of the team and Hazard's form

cyberman

Chelsea second half of the season is a really tricky one. Don't you go away to every top 6 side bar Spurs?
Coupled with a EL campaign that can't really be binned off since it provides CL football.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Far too reliant on Hazard who himself is not good enough to fire a team to major success on his own

Mick321

Think it's harsh to have much of a go at Sarri, they have one good attacker, where are people expecting them to be, competing with City and Liverpool?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hazard saying he's going to make a decision in the summer suggests he's off imo. If he was going to sign an extension, why wait?
See if they get top 4 or win europa I guess.

Seems very settled in London hence being at Chelsea 7 years but player of his quality simply has to be playing in CL.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think it's harsh to have much of a go at Sarri, they have one good attacker, where are people expecting them to be, competing with City and Liverpool?
Should be right up with Spurs who are starting to motor away from them.

Only have to look at Arsenal thread on here to see them being panned left right and centre so I'd suggest a 10 point lead over the Gunners is accurate reflection of two squads.