Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Pep's Suit

You win the Europa and still make at least €40-50m less when you'd earn from CL tv deal. Can Chelsea afford this and stick with Lampard? I don't think. Fulham A, Leicester A, Wolves H and Burnley H next.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What should be worrying Chelsea more than anything is that by Thursday night, Arsenal if the beat Palace at home (& yeah that's a big if this season) will be in level points with them, of course with Chelsea's game still to play.

That was inconceivable about a month ago considering what a disaster of a season we've had!
You'd also be just 3 points behind Spurs and City albeit they have games in hand. It says more about the league being quite crazy this season that a small run of consecutive wins can really shoot a team up the league.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You'd also be just 3 points behind Spurs and City albeit they have games in hand. It says more about the league being quite crazy this season that a small run of consecutive wins can really shoot a team up the league.
True. Not that I'm saying we have defo turned the corner & are going to go on a good run. Like you say, this season is mental. Let's see how fatigue, injuries & Covid with this condensed season affects results in the 2nd part of the season, could put stuff all up in the air again. That's why I wouldn't be judging anyone so soon, good or bad, as the season can change round quickly.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh this last seven games has fecked my faith in Lampard. It's not the results it's the performance, we look absolutely clueless and he can't hide behind a shit squad either as on paper we're 3rd in best Xl, depth wise you can argue even higher.

I do think he did an excellent job last season with the obstacles we've faced but now the expectations have gone up a notch the job is looking too big for him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh this last seven games has fecked my faith in Lampard. It's not the results it's the performance, we look absolutely clueless and he can't hide behind a shit squad either as on paper we're 3rd in best Xl, depth wise you can argue even higher.

I do think he did an excellent job last season with the obstacles we've faced but now the expectations have gone up a notch the job is looking too big for him.
It has rocked my faith a little too. I haven't lost that hope in him, but I'm less confident about the rest of the season.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Avram rumoured to be maybe coming back to assist Frank in some way. Said it from day dot he needs an experienced man alongside him to help, Jody Morris, Joe Edwards are not it. Quite simple really

However, if this does happen, it does have the feel of "being in position" should Frank be axed. Interim role

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I want Frank to succeed, but if he doesn't, there are really no excuses. He got everyone he wanted minus Rice in the summer transfer window. Almost all first choices. How many mangers get that?

1/6 then. I'll call Chilwell a success right now. All the other five I think are questionable.
Chilwell and Silva are definitely successes at the moment. Mendy is nothing special but a stopgap upgrade over Kepa so rate him as you'd like. I'd say Ziyech has been excellent when he's played as he seems to be their only creative outlet outside the fullbacks, but he's been injured. Hard to call him a failure at this point.

Havertz and Werner have been awful, no doubt about that. I have my doubts if Werner will ever be more than a 10-15 goal a season striker in this league unless Frank completely changes his style of play to build around him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see Lampard working well with Grant...

Grant is trusted by Mr A I think, presumably would be more of a direct "mole" in the camp to report back the situation with the squad as Mr A himself won't enter the UK for the moment due to the diplomatic "climate".

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see Lampard working well with Grant...

Grant is trusted by Mr A I think, presumably would be more of a direct "mole" in the camp to report back the situation with the squad as Mr A himself won't enter the UK for the moment due to the diplomatic "climate".
i think he will be there to step in if frank goes. Suspect thats part of the thinking too, if it happens. Lampard and Grant do respect each other, though

Big test for Frank Saturday, Fulham will be tough and a fair improvement will be needed from the Morecambe performance

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If the Grant rumours are true that would be just about the stupidest thing Chelsea could do imaginable. What on earth could serial failure Avram Grant contribute at this point aside from instability? The man was out of his depth from day one and has done nothing since to suggest otherwise - including his most recent position as a coach in the Indian league. Chelsea got the the CL final in 08/09 because Terry, Lampard, and Drogba stood up and effectively managed the team; Grant had nothing to do with it.

If it's a question between Lampard and Tuchel, then fair enough that should be asked. Lampard versus Grant though wasn't even worth asking when the former was still playing, let alone now.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think "journalists" are speculating that Grant and Roman are friends and he would keep the seat warm for the next manager should we keep dropping points. If there is a shred of truth to it, it probably only means they have in mind who they would bring in but must wait until the end of this season.

Personally, I think it is BS.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why? Is Bild a reliable source (I genuinely don't know)?
More reliable than most, but even then they sensationalize things. Non binding contract just means representatives from the club spoke directly with the managers to discuss interest in the job. The fact that people from Chelsea are speaking to possible replacements should have Frank's attention.

Pagh Wraith

Why? Is Bild a reliable source (I genuinely don't know)?
Questionable newspaper it may be but their football section (at least when it comes to German football) is very reliable and they are usually the first ones to break any major story/deal as they are so well connected.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Would be great if he can come back to have a decent career after such an injury ravaged few years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually think Lampard respects Grant a fair bit as he was manager there when Lampard's Mum passed away and gave him some time off and support. I doubt though he'd want him back as advisor as optics on that wouldn't look great.

If Ray Wilkins was still around they'll probably try to get him back as some sort of experienced head behind the scenes who wouldn't be any threat for numer one job.

Was trying to think of another obvious person with links to Chelsea but could only think of Zola who was number 2 under Sarri.

Fulham is big game now. You really could see Chelsea losing that given the results Fulham have been getting over last 6 weeks. Chelsea need the first goal in that pretty badly.