Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

1nil

Leicester are so good going forward. I get Frank making offensive changes but why did he rotate his defence? He knows this season is lost and wants to try all variations before next season starts. To bad, he might not be there.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

When Chelsea were in good form, few pointed out that they are winning against bottom table teams, lets see if they keep it up when the tougher fixtures pile up. Now that half of the season is played, it's not looking good. Only 1 win against top 10/11 teams

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No different to plenty of United fans on here last season (spent a shit load, 8th after 19, lost 5, 1 point less than Frank).
If you think Ole deserved time, you have to say the same about Frank.
I’d personally sack him tomorrow, but I’d have sacked Ole in December 2019 and for the moment, that looks stupidly rash, so what the hell do I know?

What I will say is that after our poor start this season, the likes of @Leftback99 were genuinely arguing that we couldn’t expect much more because the likes of Spurs and Chelsea had much better squads. Make of that what you will. I think it’s natural that fans who really believe in a manager, will, for whatever reason, always play down their own squad and big up others.
I was expecting to be below them, yes. This is what an underperforming manager looks like, he should be doing far better with that squad.

Right now it's looking like they have wasted a lot of money and the new players aren't as good as I thought, it can soon change though, as it has in the space of a month.

We also shouldn't get too carried away about being behind Leicester and 5 points ahead of West Ham yet. It's not proof of anything on who has the better squads is it?

Skåre Willoch

Give Lampard time. A lot of time! :devil:

But really, I think it's come to a point where he has to win the next game, quite convincingly at that, or he's out. It's not just that they keep dropping points and losing games, but they aren't even playing well at all. Not even close to having any kind of cohesion or consistent style of play. They weren't even close to giving Leicester a hard time yesterday. No offensive threat, and defensively in shambles at times. I thought before the season that they'd be suspect defensively, but would score a lot of goals as well. My mates were joking that they'd be the first team in history to both concede and score 100+.

But with the signings of Ziyech, Werner and Havertz, and CHO, Pulisic, Abraham and Giroud already in the team, it's mind boggling that they can't score goals or play any resemblance of good attacking football at all. And that's all on Frank.

The comparison to Ole last season is daft, as Ole had to try to create magic with Pereira, Lingard and Dan James. Meanwhile Frank is doing a good job of killing the magic they paid £200m for. With all the different types of players to put on to change the game, spice things up or do something different when plan A isn't working, it's insane that they can't create more than they do.

L1nk

Unfortunately i think it was too soon too much for Frank, he should have stayed where he was for a few years at least and really hone his craft, far too much expectation at Chelsea in comparison under an owner not well known for his patience, was a stupid move

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Chelsea should sack Lampard, and they will, because they are ruthless in operation. And they’ll probably win the league next season with Allegri before he loses the dressing room and fans with his boring football and they sack him in 2023. They will then appoint Nagelsmann or similar and win the league again, rinse and repeat until Abramovic gets bored and sells up.

TheGame

Don't understand the midfield he played yesterday, there didn't appear to be a defensive player at all whereas some teams have played 2 against an in form team such as Leicester. Also don't understand why Abraham and CHO starting yesterday when surely they would have been better played against Fulham and keep Werner for Leicester.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Ole has spent more than Frank over the last two summers and January inbetween (and didn't have to contend with losing his talisman either), lets not pretend his dealing in poverty, neithers Arteta for that matter.
That's a bit disingenuous, Lampard has spent roughly £220 million, Arteta about £80 million.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Just casually strolling through the thread with a little bit of Schadenfreude because of the way i was mocked as a "bitter bayern fan" by many Chelsea fans on here and especially on Twitter when I said that Havertz isn't worth 100 millions at all and that he won't live up to the hype :drool:

Jezpeza

Big wins against shit teams and draws/losses against anyone decent with quite a few goals conceded. Dont think they have a single good enough cb and dont play well enough at the back under the press or against better quality teams. When I’ve watched them they dont seem able to play the ball up the park in a way that provides any service to the forwards and are stifled without much effort by anyone who has a decent defence.

I suspect Frank will get the tic-tac and someone will come in and sign two centre halves and get the forwards playing and it will all improve drastically.

Classical Mechanic

Don't understand the midfield he played yesterday, there didn't appear to be a defensive player at all whereas some teams have played 2 against an in form team such as Leicester. Also don't understand why Abraham and CHO starting yesterday when surely they would have been better played against Fulham and keep Werner for Leicester.
Leicester sat deep and countered. Not sure what use Werner would have been. Ziyech and Giroud perhaps as Chelsea's only chances came from corners so they had the beating of Leicester in the air.

Red & White

If there is an a chance of a us being in danger of missing out on top 4, I don't think the club will stand by and do nothing. I don't know if Chelsea will treat Lampard different than other managers because of who he is but there is next to no track record of the club persisting with a situation that is threatening to get out of hand.

He needs to turn it around. We can't go into next year with a record of 5-6 defeats in 7-8 games. That's the kind of run that gets you sacked so he should probably try and avoid that scenario.
So, it was a draw against Villa, defeats to City and Leicester and a 0-1 win over Fulham. By no means easy games but the pressure is certainly mounting!

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tbf to Frank, during the summer transfer window it was said in several reports that Havertz was a signing that Roman really wanted to happen. Lampard wanted Rice.

That being said, Frank got almost all his first choice signings. If he cannot produce with them, Roman has never been one to say lets try again next year. He wants results now. If the losses do not stop very soon, Lampard deserves to be sacked. He is losing against teams Chelsea should be dominating. It would be different if it was losses against just the top teams.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I know he cant shoot but would Loftus-Cheek actually improve this Chelsea side ?
He ran through our team so well in the 2nd half.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
A decent article about where Lampard stands with the club.
How safe is Frank Lampard's job? Who are Chelsea lining up to replace him? How soon before Lampard leaves?

Indications coming out of the club are that all this is premature. Nobody is guaranteed a job in perpetuity, but there are plenty of things Lampard has done well in his 18 months in charge, and the intent is to give him every chance to succeed. This basically means he'll stick around unless things deteriorate further, or Chelsea suddenly come to believe that a top-four finish is in serious peril and somebody else is capable of coming in right now to give them a better shot at next season's Champions League.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-ma...anagement-why-they-arent-giving-up-on-him-yet

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So, it was a draw against Villa, defeats to City and Leicester and a 0-1 win over Fulham. By no means easy games but the pressure is certainly mounting!
5 defeats in 8 since we beat Leeds two months ago. I personally think it's done now and not sacking him tomorrow is just delaying the inevitable.

romufc

5 defeats in 8 since we beat Leeds two months ago. I personally think it's done now and not sacking him tomorrow is just delaying the inevitable.
I think fans should have patience with him. There are different issues in the squad, limiting Lampard from doing what he wants.

He will turn things around given the time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What's frustrating is we're literally going to be chucking away points by delaying this. Tuchel is available to start work right now and i think he's perfect for this squad and has the right amount of experience (in terms of games managed and trophy's won) to handle the job.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think fans should have patience with him. There are different issues in the squad, limiting Lampard from doing what he wants.

He will turn things around given the time.
I'm just saying I don't think he'll be in the job a month from now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What's frustrating is we're literally going to be chucking away points by delaying this. Tuchel is available to start work right now and i think he's perfect for this squad and has the right amount of experience (in terms of games managed and trophy's won) to handle the job.
If the club is preparing to for Tuchel, then yes, I don't see the point in delaying it. I saw somewhere that he has 3 games to save his job. It's going to be tough to see him go and nobody (even the twitter trolls who turned on him from last season) wanted it to pan out this way, and I can't personally get myself to call for his head, but I'm at the stage where I'm expecting it any day now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If the club is preparing to for Tuchel, then yes, I don't see the point in delaying it. I saw somewhere that he has 3 games to save his job. It's going to be tough to see him go and nobody (even the twitter trolls who turned on him from last season) wanted it to pan out this way, and I can't personally get myself to call for his head, but I'm at the stage where I'm expecting it any day now.
Believe me i hate it but i can't see how clinging on is doing either of us any good. If hypothetically he remained vs Wolves, we lost but done it in the manner we did vs say Liverpool last season (in laymans terms let down by crap finishing and/or a keeper horror show) that alone would make me hold fire on my stance as i'd see some hope he may be stumbling on something but these performances since Krasnador home are giving me no hope whatsoever.

Jaxa

The big worry is if Chelsea get Nagelsmann or Marco Rose, even hasenhuttl to a degree, those three managers would get a tune out of that talented Chelsea squad, there is still holes in the team especially at the back but Lampard is massively underperforming and as much as i hope he is given more time I feel he's maybe only 2 or 3 games away from getting the boot, Romans trigger finger must be so itchy right about now

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why did Tuchel get sacked from PSG and why do people think he'll be good for Chelsea?

I dont follow French or German football so don't really know much about him.
Tuchel complained about all the club politics he had to tolerate, others said that Tochel did not get along with the administration and he has a history of being difficult for clubs to work with. Just by judging from those statements it is easy to see why he was gone.

Zen86

Tuchel complained about all the club politics he had to tolerate, others said that Tochel did not get along with the administration and he has a history of being difficult for clubs to work with. Just by judging from those statements it is easy to see why he was gone.
If that’s the case, is Chelsea really the club for him?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not sure about Tuchel not saying he'd be as bad as Emery in the PL but I get that kind of vibes about him in that yes he won things with PSG (who doesn't) but I'm not convinced he's good enough to break the Pep/Klopp dominance which is what Chelsea will be aiming to do after the money spent

Obviously tough for any side to get a manager to theoretically be at Klopp or Pep's level because they're the two best with everyone else at least several levels below but honestly do feel (like I said about us with Ole) that waiting till the summer and assessing then is the best option otherwise you're just getting who's available rather than who you might really want

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Believe me i hate it but i can't see how clinging on is doing either of us any good. If hypothetically he remained vs Wolves, we lost but done it in the manner we did vs say Liverpool last season (in laymans terms let down by crap finishing and/or a keeper horror show) that alone would make me hold fire on my stance as i'd see some hope he may be stumbling on something but these performances since Krasnador home are giving me no hope whatsoever.
I just have this nagging thought at the back of my head that he has been dealt such a terrible card - dealing with a transfer ban, losing Hazard and, granted he has been given a load of good players for a lot money, but this season he had to make do with no preseason and no proper time on the training pitch as it has basically been match day and recovery day non-stop since September. It just feels a tad unfair. Tuchel or whoever will come in, have an actual preseason with the players and reap fruits of Lampard's labour. I still expect him to be gone but the circumstances have been unfavourable from the day one.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I just have this nagging thought at the back of my head that he has been dealt such a terrible card - dealing with a transfer ban, losing Hazard and, granted he has been given a load of good players for a lot money, but this season he had to make do with no preseason and no proper time on the training pitch as it has basically been match day and recovery day non-stop since September. It just feels a tad unfair. Tuchel or whoever will come in, have an actual preseason with the players and reap fruits of Lampard's labour. I still expect him to be gone but the circumstances have been unfavourable from the day one.
Chelsea had more of a pre-season that some teams? And while I assume your point about the lack time on the training pitch is in relation to trying to integrate the number of new players he has sorry but he's not going to get any sympathy there. Chelsea didn't have to sign the number of players they did nor did Lampard have to try and shoehorn them all into the same XI straight away

He should just look at how the master Ole has integrated our new players, he just hasn't played them at all :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If that’s the case, is Chelsea really the club for him?
I am hopeful Frank turns it around, but understand if he does get sacked. I would like to see Nagelsmann come if Frank goes. I don't think Tuchel is the best we could bring in,

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely this. The new guy (I also prefer Tuchel) can start working right away so atleast by the time we play Atletico, we might have some working system in place.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Why did Tuchel get sacked from PSG and why do people think he'll be good for Chelsea?

I dont follow French or German football so don't really know much about him.
Sounds like most of it was that Tuchel felt he wasn’t backed alongside the high expectations and the need to deliver a Champions League title, seemed to continually clash with the board. This previous summer he lost big players like Silva and they spent near half a billion on two players in the last few years. The PSG squad is very average outside of Neymar, Mbappe, Verratti, and Marquinhos. He was calling for more investment but never got it. I don’t follow PSG at all so that’s my takeaway from things I’ve been reading about the Tuchel situation at PSG.

@BBRBB could maybe provide more insight ?

The last thing he posted:
Tuchel has been in conflict with the management for a while and we've been playing like crap the whole season.
It's not exactly surprising although I expected him to last until june.

I'm not 100% convinced by Poch but it could work out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea had more of a pre-season that some teams? And while I assume your point about the lack time on the training pitch is in relation to trying to integrate the number of new players he has sorry but he's not going to get any sympathy there. Chelsea didn't have to sign the number of players they did nor did Lampard have to try and shoehorn them all into the same XI straight away

He should just look at how the master Ole has integrated our new players, he just hasn't played them at all :lol:
It's a good thing I'm not asking for your sympathy then :D

I'm not saying he's had it worse than other managers this season, but he was given 6 new players with no preseason or time on the training pitch and I feel it's a tad unfair to sack him in those circumstances after delivering CL football for the club under a transfer ban and losing Eden Hazard.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Why doesn't he try 4-2-3-1 or something like that?

Could give Kante partner in midfield two in Jorginho, left Pulisic, right Ziyech, middle Mount/Havertz and up-front Werner/Abraham/Giroud.

Think it would suit them better than 4-3-3 in which IMO to many players play with restraint in their game.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Why doesn't he try 4-2-3-1 or something like that?

Could give Kante partner in midfield two in Jorginho, left Pulisic, right Ziyech, middle Mount/Havertz and up-front Werner/Abraham/Giroud.

Think it would suit them better than 4-3-3 in which IMO to many players play with restraint in their game.
Yup, nail on the head.

I’ve been saying 4231 for months as have most Chelsea fans.

Actually, all fans who know anything about football have been. For Christ sake, even Jermaine Jenus said it would suit us better and he’s a moron.

Pulisic, Havertz and Ziyech playing behind Werner is clearly our best attack and it has never been used in the one system that clearly suits them.

Kante cannot play lone cdm, therefore the 4231 is absolutely perfect for him.

It’s ridiculous how Lampard cannot see this. He’s utterly clueless.