Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Imagine flexing on a guy (for apparently mistranslated comments) who has won practically everything in football. Sit down, Mount. You'll lose the final anyway.
What difference does it make how much he has won? If Kroos was mistranslated, why not say so? Why continue with this nonsense and have yet another dig with "your first CL final"? There are three German internationals in this Chelsea side and he somehow forgot who they are? Or is Kroos just an arrogant twat who always needs to have the last word?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I really miss this season.

I sometimes wonder if Conte hadn't fallen out with everyone, if Chelsea could have maintained a title challenge in the seasons that followed. We really haven't done anything noteworthy in the league since 2017.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I sometimes wonder if Conte hadn't fallen out with everyone, if Chelsea could have maintained a title challenge in the seasons that followed. We really haven't done anything noteworthy in the league since 2017.

It’s part of manager’s main job to manage his team members and make them happy or feel welcoming. It’s an important aspect to be manager whether in football or any industry. I think the question is not if he hadn’t fallen out with everyone but if he was good in that aspect.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Typical Chelsea, win the league and then have a horrific transfer window in the summer after. Baba Rahman, Falcao to Drinkwater, Zappacosta and Bakayako. Cant get much worse than that.

Bearded One

They have a lot of potential in attack that may come good for seasons to come. Would say their attacking depth is very exciting and would be optimistic if I was a Chelsea fan. However Im still not sold with their defence.

Don’t know how many more seasons they can rely on Alonso, Azpi, Rudiger and now Silva. The whole back four needs upgrading if they want to compete with City and other top clubs imo. The only one With potential in their defence is James.
I think they have quietly worked themselves to currently having the second most deep squad in the league bettered only by city. This is quite controversial but I think their squad depth is even better than ours. In central defence they have the experience, calming presence, energy and expertise of Rudiger, Thiago and Azpi. At full back Reece and Chilwell are one of the best you will get in the league. They also have decent back up defensive players who can hold their own too. Their 3 in the back s a match made in heaven for their squad and I have always rated Tuchel even when he seemed to be regressing. They also have Mendy who is a very safe pair of hands.

I think they are on the hunt for Haaland and if they do get him, they will definitely contend for the league next season. My best bet is for Haaland to go to Spain but if he doesn’t I’d rather he comes to Chelsea. This is of course on the back of the assumption that we will go for Sancho and make Cavani our main striker next season.

They are certainly a team to keep ones eyes on in the coming season.

Mendy
Azpi T. Silva Rudiger
James Kante Kovacic Chilwell
Ziyech Mount
Haaland*​

This team would win the league imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He probably would have. Conte is a title winning machine. He's better than Klopp as well in this regard. Brilliant job at Inter.

Bearded One

He probably would have. Conte is a title winning machine. He's better than Klopp as well in this regard. Brilliant job at Inter.
I beg to disagree Conte is not better than Klopp. Conte is one of my favourite managers but common he’s not better than Klopp.

Klopp is a serial winner too and one poor season wouldn’t cancel that.

amolbhatia50k

I beg to disagree Conte is not better than Klopp. Conte is one of my favourite managers but common he’s not better than Klopp.

Serial winner who has three league titles? He only has the CL above Conte who has league titles in Italy, England (ahead of Klopp and Pep) and now again Italy for a club winning their first in a decade.

Pep is a serial winner, Zidane has so far been one. Three league titles in a decade doesn't make Klopp a serial winner. Conte usually wins as much as he does.

Not that I think Klopp isn't excellent. But people are too quick to dismiss other great managers in favour of Klopp and Pep as if hey are in a league or their own. (Pep may be)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think they have quietly worked themselves to currently having the second most deep squad in the league bettered only by city. This is quite controversial but I think their squad depth is even better than ours. In central defence they have the experience, calming presence, energy and expertise of Rudiger, Thiago and Azpi. At full back Reece and Chilwell are one of the best you will get in the league. They also have decent back up defensive players who can hold their own too. Their 3 in the back s a match made in heaven for their squad and I have always rated Tuchel even when he seemed to be regressing. They also have Mendy who is a very safe pair of hands.

I think they are on the hunt for Haaland and if they do get him, they will definitely contend for the league next season. My best bet is for Haaland to go to Spain but if he doesn’t I’d rather he comes to Chelsea. This is of course on the back of the assumption that we will go for Sancho and make Cavani our main striker next season.

Mendy
Azpi T. Silva Rudiger
Ziyech Mount
Haaland*​

That isn’t controversial at all. They have an incredibly deep squad. Where I differ from other posters in here though is I don’t think they actually have much quality. I don’t see a single player in that team to be particularly afraid of, no world class leaders or talismans. Now not every team needs that to be successful but it certainly helps.

Where Utd lack depth in key positions, we have far more brilliance in the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Shaw all of which would walk into Chelsea’s first team. I think people see a decent bench and attribute that to having a fantastic team but evidence suggests this Utd team is currently better and I still believe has more potential due to our age structure compared to Chelsea.

I will say Chelsea do have the next most potential outside of this Utd team and I wouldn’t be completely surprised to see them continue to improve. All of the above could also very quickly change with the right recruitment. A Haaland for example would make them possibly the most dangerous team in the league.

Bearded One

That isn’t controversial at all. They have an incredibly deep squad. Where I differ from other posters in here though is I don’t think they actually have much quality. I don’t see a single player in that team to be particularly afraid of, no world class leaders or talismans. Now not every team needs that to be successful but it certainly helps.

Where Utd lack depth in key positions, we have far more brilliance in the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Shaw all of which would walk into Chelsea’s first team. I think people see a decent bench and attribute that to having a fantastic team but evidence suggests this Utd team is currently better and I still believe has more potential due to our age structure compared to Chelsea.

I will say Chelsea do have the next most potential outside of this Utd team and I wouldn’t be completely surprised to see them continue to improve. All of the above could also very quickly change with the right recruitment. A Haaland for example would make them possibly the most dangerous team in the league.
I agree with your points. Indeed I was curious and so decided to do a combined XI from both squads (I like doing squad comparisons a lot, by the way:lol::lol::lol:)

What do you think about this:

Mendy
James Maguire Rudiger Shaw
Kante Pogba
Ziyech Bruno Mount
Cavani

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree with your points. Indeed I was curious and so decided to do a combined XI from both squads (I like doing squad comparisons a lot, by the way:lol::lol::lol:)

What do you think about this:

Mendy
James Maguire Rudiger Shaw
Kante Pogba
Ziyech Bruno Mount
Cavani
Personally I’d have Rashford over Mount and Greenwood over Ziyech. Don’t think there’s that much in it in those positions.

George the Cat

Chelsea could quite easily end up in the Europa next season. They might beat Leicester but then lose at Villa when resting players for the Champs league final. Leicester beat Spurs and the Dippers win all their games and they are fifth. I don't think they are going beat city yet again.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We finished 5th in the season he fell out with everyone and then had a terrible summer transfer window where we hoovered up every average player in Europe to the tune of about £250m. He's a fantastic coach though, a continuation of Conte instead starting over with Sarri could have probably resulted in one more title push.

amolbhatia50k

We finished 5th in the season he fell out with everyone and then had a terrible summer transfer window where we hoovered up every average player in Europe to the tune of about £250m. He's a fantastic coach though, a continuation of Conte instead starting over with Sarri could have probably resulted in one more title push.
That's true. He did have a terrible second season/summer. Still dont think he gets the credit he deserves. No surprise that he's the one who got Inter back on top. People laughed at this signings but the man knows how to win.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Klopp is better in Europe than Conte. They have spent a fair bit too under Conte, its not like he's done it with the same starting eleven he took over with.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's true. He did have a terrible second season/summer. Still dont think he gets the credit he deserves. No surprise that he's the one who got Inter back on top. People laughed at this signings but the man knows how to win.
His league record is spectacular - 5 titles in 10 years. He took a 2 year gap to coach the Italian national team in that period, so it's actually 5 titles in 8 years. That's close to being on par with Pep. His record in Europe does let him down though. Not sure what the problem is there.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

His league record is spectacular - 5 titles in 10 years. He took a 2 year gap to coach the Italian national team in that period, so it's actually 5 titles in 8 years. That's close to being on par with Pep. How record in Europe does let him down though. Not sure what the problem is there.
Incredible

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
His league record is spectacular - 5 titles in 10 years. He took a 2 year gap to coach the Italian national team in that period, so it's actually 5 titles in 8 years. That's close to being on par with Pep. How record in Europe does let him down though. Not sure what the problem is there.
It is 5 in 7 years.

Three on the bounce with Juve
One in two at Chelsea
One in two at Inter

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And didn't he start Juves success too? Feels like he did.
He started the Juve domination and ended it too. What a manager. Obviously he has few weakness/drawbacks too but he wins the trophies and quickly.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

The sad thing about football these days is that Rashford and Shaw are good, possibly great players but they’re not scary or World class.

Take Shaw for example, he has had a terrific season but can we put him in the same bracket as Cole and Evra, hell no. He probably won’t even get nearly the same medal haul either.

Rashford has numbers and has good records against top teams but if you are constantly berated by your own fans for end product then it’s quite telling. This boy will finish a great player but he won’t ever be World class.

I do agree that our team does not have any standout player except for Kante however consider that Werner misses 2-3 guilt edge chances every game. If our defensive record continues into next season and Werner finds his radar we could potentially be destroying teams. With that confidence and a fairly young average aged squad, it’s frightening. That’s the reality.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The sad thing about football these days is that Rashford and Shaw are good, possibly great players but they’re not scary or World class.

Take Shaw for example, he has had a terrific season but can we put him in the same bracket as Cole and Evra, hell no. He probably won’t even get nearly the same medal haul either.

Rashford has numbers and has good records against top teams but if you are constantly berated by your own fans for end product then it’s quite telling. This boy will finish a great player but he won’t ever be World class.

I do agree that our team does not have any standout player except for Kante however consider that Werner misses 2-3 guilt edge chances every game. If our defensive record continues into next season and Werner finds his radar we could potentially be destroying teams. With that confidence and a fairly young average aged squad, it’s frightening. That’s the reality.
Rashford's problem is not end product, in fact his end product is among the best in the league. He gets criticism for his general play and it's valid criticism in most of the cases.

If we had Werner, caf would be crying and moaning about him and would have written open letters to send him on loan to championship club or lower PL club so that he can learn how to finish. Not saying he isn't good player but the way mistakes are magnified it's unreal. If we had player who missed so many easy chances (and in many cases open goals) he would have been written off as a average player.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It is 5 in 7 years.

Three on the bounce with Juve
One in two at Chelsea
One in two at Inter
Even better. He's unbelievable.

My memory is a bit vague here but didn't he also have an impressive Euro2016 with a pretty average Italy who had loads of key players missing through injury?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Mendy
Azpi T. Silva Rudiger
Ziyech Mount
Haaland*​

Our squad depth is only this deep because we weren't able to offload fringe squad players and players who were considered deadwood last summer.

In a normal transfer window, I think we would have likely sold one of Rudiger and Christensen or both, maybe Jorginho, one of Emerson and Alonso or both. We didn't, which now means we have a larger squad than intended.

amolbhatia50k

Klopp is better in Europe than Conte. They have spent a fair bit too under Conte, its not like he's done it with the same starting eleven he took over with.
Yeah Klopp has that 1 CL over him. But nowhere near the league titles. No manager does it with the same 11 though. Conte definitely spends and hence falls out with ownerships.

Bearded One

Our squad depth is only this deep because we weren't able to offload fringe squad players and players who were considered deadwood last summer.

In a normal transfer window, I think we would have likely sold one of Rudiger and Christensen or both, maybe Jorginho, one of Emerson and Alonso or both. We didn't, which now means we have a larger squad than intended.
Which is a good thing, why aren’t you happy with that? Emerson is a fine player, Jorginho gives you something uniquely different in midfield, Rudiger for me is one of the very good center backs in the premiership.

Anyway I’m tuning to your match now even though frankly speaking I’d be rooting for Leicester today but I hope you guys can win the UCL. All the best to you.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Which is a good thing, why aren’t you happy with that? Emerson is a fine player, Jorginho gives you something uniquely different in midfield, Rudiger for me is one of the very good center backs in the premiership.

Anyway I’m tuning to your match now even though frankly speaking I’d be rooting for Leicester today but I hope you guys can win the UCL. All the best to you.
Oh I'm very happy with it. It's a stroke of good fortune, blessing in disguise in a way, that the players we failed to offload to make room for the new players are now either helping out with the rotation or have outright won their place back playing at a very high level. I was just explaining how we've ended up with such a bloated squad this season.

I expect all neutrals to be rooting for Leicester today, don't worry :D

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Back to back defeats in FA Cup final. Been to 4 FA Cup finals in the last 5 years. Lost 3 of them.

On one hand it shows great consiasency to keep getting back to the final. On the other hand we're starting to develop a habit of losing these finals.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Back to back defeats in FA Cup final. Been to 4 FA Cup finals in the last 5 years. Lost 3 of them.

On one hand it shows great consiasency to keep getting back to the final. On the other hand we're starting to develop a habit of losing these finals.
Yeah, doesn't bode well for the CL final.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
The fact we can get top 4 on Sunday with a top scorer on 7 goals (All from penalties) is absolutely insane. I think i read that we're right up there with chances created, maybe 1st or 2nd, if we can get a proper finisher or start putting these chances away we have a real shot at a challenge.

Timo alone has missed 18 big chances, i'm starting to go grey!

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea could quite easily end up in the Europa next season. They might beat Leicester but then lose at Villa when resting players for the Champs league final. Leicester beat Spurs and the Dippers win all their games and they are fifth. I don't think they are going beat city yet again.
Why should we do that? There are 5 days between the two games.

Eddy_JukeZ

Probably would have challenged at some point.

Only Pep wins/guarantees more league success than him.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Very unique circumstances... you can definitely lose to Arsenal and this Leicester in a cup final.
You win some, you lose some - so I hope that bodes well for the CL final.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Klopp is excellent manager but he is not serial winner. Conte is, Pep is, Jose was....Klopp isn't.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Sancho only goes to Chelsea if United don't fancy him.
I don't think there is any truth to that. Chelsea have a really good relationship with Dortmund doing transfers. Sancho has ties to several of Chelsea players. Dortmund has shown interest in CHO. Man Utd is not the desired destination it once was with players. Perhaps it will change now that Ed is gone, but the wheels turn very slowly with transfers there lately.

At this point it is all just rumours.