Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Malang Sarr agrees 4-year contract with Chelsea

Téléfoot Chaine report that 21-year-old French central defender Malang Sarr has agreed a 4-year contract with Chelsea.

The former OGC Nice player has been a free agent since leaving Les Aiglons in June.

He must now give his final ok and the deal will be completed subject to a medical.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Malang Sarr agrees 4-year contract with Chelsea

Téléfoot Chaine report that 21-year-old French central defender Malang Sarr has agreed a 4-year contract with Chelsea.

The former OGC Nice player has been a free agent since leaving Les Aiglons in June.

He must now give his final ok and the deal will be completed subject to a medical.
Isn't he bang average though? He'll be there to add numbers to the squad.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Obviously they'll still want to play all the youngsters they've harped on about all this year though, right?
Christensen, Mount, James, Tammy, RLC, CHO & Gilmour will all regularly be part of the first team squad. That's more than we've had since the prem began.

Last season was of course forced but we'll still play more "academy grown" kids than any other season for decades.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously they'll still want to play all the youngsters they've harped on about all this year though, right?
That's a fair question, but it really only seems Tammy is likely to be impacted. Mount will almost certainly stay in our starting XI, James will get more minutes as Azpi is transitioned out of the team, CHO is going from 4th winger to 3rd winger and will thus play more, Gilmour will be featured more, etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's a fair question, but it really only seems Tammy is likely to be impacted. Mount will almost certainly stay in our starting XI, James will get more minutes as Azpi is transitioned out of the team, CHO is going from 4th winger to 3rd winger and will thus play more, Gilmour will be featured more, etc.
With Havertz, Pulisic and the Ajax guy in the mix, where does Mount get in?

Unless Havertz moves deeper? (Obvs assuming he's signed!)

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
With Havertz, Pulisic and the Ajax guy in the mix, where does Mount get in?

Unless Havertz moves deeper? (Obvs assuming he's signed!)
Likely as an 8 in a 4-3-3 - we beat City with a midfield of Mount - Kante - Barkley. Havertz drops in for Barkley and Mount still plays. Kovacic goes to the bench - he's our best option in a double pivot but as an 8 he leaves something to be desired.

Mount is also the key to our press - without him we struggle in that department.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Loftus Cheek surely needs a move, constantly injured and now he's fit Chelsea are signing Havertz to play the box to box role. Interested to see where he ends up, feels an Everton type signing.

Big season for Hudson Odoi. Been talked about for a while but can't say he's impressed me hugely when I've watched him and now the path to first 11 gets a fair bit harder to break into.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Loftus Cheek surely needs a move, constantly injured and now he's fit Chelsea are signing Havertz to play the box to box role. Interested to see where he ends up, feels an Everton type signing.

Big season for Hudson Odoi. Been talked about for a while but can't say he's impressed me hugely when I've watched him and now the path to first 11 gets a fair bit harder to break into.
Both Hudson odoi and Loftus cheek came off from serious injury. They were not match fit when games restarted. Even Lampard told categorically next season only they will play with their full potential.

Pulisic,ziyech and hudson odoi are only three wingers in the team so he will get plenty of game time. Of course if they cannot get enough game time coming season then they should look into their options. I think they will be integral to our ambitions without them we can't even finish in top 4 coming season even with all the incoming players.

reddevilchennai

Does Roman Abromovich has a brother who is rich enough and interested in buying a football team? Asking for a friend.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
@duffer . Kovacic POY? How that happened? I didn't know that fans rate him that much.
He was one of the few to run at the opposition with the ball from midfield. He unlocked some doors with his reading of the game and accurate passing. His runs caught the eye and I think this is what the fans liked.

Good player who should retain his position next season.

royce987

Thiago Silva's wife posted an image of him recording a tv interview on her instagram story, it looks like it could be an announcement for Chelsea TV

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Wait, are you actually a Chelsea fan despite being 100% convinced we would lose to Wolves? Or is this post somehow meant to portray Chelsea fans in a negative light? Genuinely baffling stuff mate.
Just thought it was a funny gif and that fans of any team that were getting the players that Chelsea were would be like this i.e. excited.

Not everything is a personal attack, unless you're a Dipper that is.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Just thought it was a funny gif and that fans of any team that were getting the players that Chelsea were would be like this i.e. excited.

Not everything is a personal attack, unless you're a Dipper that is.
Fair enough! And I can't argue with it; that's more or less been my reaction to this summer.

Tony247

We are playing for 4th aren't we? City, Liverpool and Chelsea for top 3..
Chelsea with these additions, messi to city (if) and in form liverpool...that's going to be some memorable title fight. Pain to see united lagging so much behind...it is what it is...

GoldanoGraham

Hope for Franks sake they hit the ground running....he was graced last season as took over during a transfer ban - pressure ramps up when you splash out big money on players, they need to settle quickly and then he’s going to have to manage a very large squad of players getting very few minutes.......

Great squad now though......they have been very clinical in the market - complete opposite to our ‘negotiating’ team

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Wait, are you actually a Chelsea fan despite being 100% convinced we would lose to Wolves? Or is this post somehow meant to portray Chelsea fans in a negative light? Genuinely baffling stuff mate.
:D:lol:
spot on

GenZRed

Interesting to see how their new influx of players will affect the academy products they have. I'm referring to the talented ones like Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham,Reece James and CHO. Might be a few others I've missed.

Superunknown

Interesting to see how their new influx of players will affect the academy products they have. I'm referring to the talented ones like Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham,Reece James and CHO. Might be a few others I've missed.
See, straight away I look at that and immediately think "squad depth". There will be competition for places, which is ultimately a good thing. Players will drift in and out of form, injuries will happen, fixture congestion will be a big issue and there will be cup competitions, etc. There is the opportunity for games and there is every chance that every one of those players could step up and force the manager to keep them in the starting 11, if they perform well and are consistent.
At the very least, that's a good looking bench right there and a good selection headache to have.

DoubleLeg_Savage

Supports
Chelsea
We sat on our hands for too long and didn't sign genuine competition for most of our team. It seems, hopefully, the club is realising it now. They have made some poor signings, especially in Jose's second stint and Conte's second season, including Barkley, Dijilogy or whatever his name is, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Morata, Batshuayi. Yes we've made good signings, but we simply never built the team around Hazard or strengthened when we were strong, such as after winning the league, both under Mourinho in his 2nd stint and Conte when we won the league.

TheLord

As many as eight Chelsea players including Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount, Christian Pulisic, Fikayo Tomori, Jorginho, Ross Barkley, Emerson, and Michy Batshuayi are either positive for the virus or are in quarantine as close primary contacts after holidaying in Greece. The preseason plans are ruined. Thick.
No point laughing at them as ours would be no less thick.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As many as eight Chelsea players including Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount, Christian Pulisic, Fikayo Tomori, Jorginho, Ross Barkley, Emerson, and Michy Batshuayi are either positive for the virus or are in quarantine as close primary contacts after holidaying in Greece. The preseason plans are ruined. Thick.
No point laughing at them as ours would be no less thick.
They're near the end of a seven day self-isolation (ends Monday) which is standard practice coming back from holiday. All have been tested, none have Covid.

Tammy and Mount will 100% be joining up with England in a few days.

Not sure if our pre-season is "ruined" by a few players missing a few days.

Last edited:

TheLord

They're near the end of a seven day self-isolation (ends Monday) which is standard practice coming back from holiday. All have been tested, none have Covid.

Tammy and Mount will 100% be joining up with England in a few days.

Not sure if our pre-season is "ruined" by a few players missing a few days.
I will take your word for it then.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If it's a choice of me or The Sun, always believe me.

We'll see though on Monday, when Tammy and Mount join up with the England squad.
It is not known which of the players have tested positive. The Telegraph report that six players have the virus and a further two are quarantining because of close contact with those affected.

Its the Telegraph no?