Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I never expected a perfect performance. We had 1 pre season game and half the team is at different stages of fitness. It won’t be until game 5 or 6 that we should expect fluidity as long as we don’t get injuries.

Overall I’m happy. No one has looked good or beyond us yet but let’s wait until everyone peaks

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
1. I respectfully don't think so. A top 4 club in PL is usually quite decent - meaning getting in six new players for the first XI - which is what I was addressing - would mean massive spending. Signing 5-6 new players as a promotional team has happened numerous times because their often Championship-level players are more easily replaceable after getting the hefty cash cow of playing in the PL.

2. You really are in a fortunate position - and is proving that by signing Ziyech, Werner and possibly Havertz. But adding a CB, Chilwell and Onana - to me at least - sounds so FIFA-esque, that if it happens it's not just a sign of you being in "a fortunate position", but in the most economically fortunate position in the history of football, giving we live in a pandemic which we haven't got a clue when is ending and which is probably going to prevent having fans to games the rest of the year - an economically arrow to the knee for every club - but then you'll be chucking about nearly €3-400 million? It just seems excessive to me, unless you go out, and sell for a good €100-150 million.

But... time will tell if you'll get half a new team this summer - I hope not ;)
remarkably, i was right. All the positions i predicted, ended up signing, pending a gk. So it does happen afterall haha

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
They looked a mess. They signed good players and all that but they weren't really thinking about he the players fit together in a team. Sure, we saw Havertz play where he played yesterday at Leverkusen near the end of the season but he looked rather mediocre. Pretty obvious he's not a natural attacker.

The moment they signed Havertz after signing Ziyech I had a feeling this project was going nowhere.

What surprised me the most was the tactical deterioration of the side. Not sure Lampard knows what hes doing. Nothing I've seen tells me he's a top coach. They are becoming structurally worse by the game.
You never disappoint Ledge.
They were quite rightly criticized last season for having a poor defense and it was apparent against Brighton that they set up with two defensive midfielders in front of the defense. This is Frank thinking about how the players fit together in a team. It worked, it wasn't pretty but a couple of the new signings got a run out and a victory. Job done.
Havertz didn't look good but he had a couple of good moments among his bad moments. Its his first game and any reasonable critic will accept that only 4 or 5 days with a new squad before your first match isn't good. He wasn't bought as a natural striker so not really a consideration.

Is that a little green sickness I detect? Havertz and Ziyech not fitting into the same project? A Right sided midfielder and a central midfielder not going anywhere?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Lampard will be sacked before Christmas. He cant organize his defence and now is relying on the qualities of a veteran player like Silva to fix it..NO WAY!
Frank would have to take Roman Abramovich's wife out the back to get sacked before Christmas.

He sat two defensive midfielders in front of a back four and they only conceded because a poor keeper couldn't pull off a good save. Silva brings experience to the back four and players like Chistensen and possibly Tomori will benefit. They are not relying on him as the Brighton match proved.

Jaxa

I thought Timo looked really sharp on Monday, I think he's going to have a good season for them, 15 goals + and i think Liverpool will really regret not getting him when he was on a plate for them, Firmino regressed a lot last season and i feel he won't do much this season either, he gets away with so much scrutiny in this league compared to others.

Anyway i think Chelsea's real shining star is Pulisic, if he can stay fit he will really spearhorn them forward, i was very impressed with him last season and he looks to have really took his game up a notch,

But.. with all this attacking talent, they still have a massive glaring hole at the back and this will really stop them from seriously challenging for a title, they better hope they score a ton of goals because they will also ship a whole lot also, Thiago won't be the answer across a whole season and i don't rate Chilwell any higher than a decent fullback, nothing special.

If we don't sign anyone they will finish above us for sure, maybe even 2nd.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I thought Timo looked really sharp on Monday, I think he's going to have a good season for them, 15 goals + and i think Liverpool will really regret not getting him when he was on a plate for them, Firmino regressed a lot last season and i feel he won't do much this season either, he gets away with so much scrutiny in this league compared to others.

Anyway i think Chelsea's real shining star is Pulisic, if he can stay fit he will really spearhorn them forward, i was very impressed with him last season and he looks to have really took his game up a notch,

But.. with all this attacking talent, they still have a massive glaring hole at the back and this will really stop them from seriously challenging for a title, they better hope they score a ton of goals because they will also ship a whole lot also, Thiago won't be the answer across a whole season and i don't rate Chilwell any higher than a decent fullback, nothing special.

If we don't sign anyone they will finish above us for sure, maybe even 2nd.
Agree about Pulisic. The biggest issue with him is health. He has had nine muscular injuries in the last two years alone, which is a pretty astounding number. There is real reason to worry that he might be physiologically prone to these kinds of injuries in a way that is unlikely to go away and will prevent him from reaching his potential.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure what their game plan was today, other than waiting for us to give the ball away/make a mistake then counter through Havertz & Werner. Even before the red card I didn’t think they looked particularly threatening.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not sure what their game plan was today, other than waiting for us to give the ball away/make a mistake then counter through Havertz & Werner. Even before the red card I didn’t think they looked particularly threatening.
Neither did you though.

I'm sure you would've gone on to win (as you are a much better side) but before the sending off it was anyone's game.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I still think they will rue not spending the big money where it was needed.

They will overwhelm a lot of teams with their attacking resources but they haven’t resolved the biggest issues from last season adequately in my opinion.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Neither did you though.

I'm sure you would've gone on to win (as you are a much better side) but before the sending off it was anyone's game.
I thought we had more of the game though, and you could see our plan (which is the same as it normally is). I didn’t see much of an attacking plan from Chelsea.

You’ve only just signed these players and three didn’t even start so it’s too early to jump on Lampard for anything, but it’ll be interesting to see if he survives the season should you not be close to the top at Christmas.

LVGSdive

So far they have not looked impressive at all. This season is an unusual season with the fact that so many players are not ready to play with the Covid situation. They have so much talent that won't be ready for a few weeks that will greatly improve their team. Mendy is a massive improvement on Kepa. Chilwell is an upgrade on Alonso. Silva is an upgrade on any of their CB's. Pulisic improves their attacking play 1000x over. Werner and Havertz are still settling in and Hudson-Odoi has elite level potential. I fully expect Chelsea to be 3rd at least by the end of the season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I thought we had more of the game though, and you could see our plan (which is the same as it normally is). I didn’t see much of an attacking plan from Chelsea.

You’ve only just signed these players and three didn’t even start so it’s too early to jump on Lampard for anything, but it’ll be interesting to see if he survives the season should you not be close to the top at Christmas.
Really? I thought the plan was pretty clear - match you in midfield with 3 bodies and keep TAA pinned back with Werner, with Havertz dropping back into midfield to provide a numerical advantage. You can't deny that TAA was far less influential than usual, especially in the first half.

I thought tactically it broadly worked well, but the execution was lacking - the moment where Kante was played in about 14 yards from goal only to turn back and recycle possession (eventually all the way back to our CBs) stood out as the nadir.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Need desperately to get Thiago Silva in the team. I expected to see him today. He looked good in CL final so surprised he seems to be deemed not ready yet unless you've given him extended holiday.

Ziyech and Pulisic would add a little more to front line aswell so Chelsea missing a few key players still and need to get the keeper position sorted.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They have some great players to come in, but maybe they could have sacrificed one in favour of another defensive reinforcement. They’re capable of far more than they showed, don’t think it’s in lampards interests or strengths to ever be that defensive, which again says a lot about his perception of the defence.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Really? I thought the plan was pretty clear - match you in midfield with 3 bodies and keep TAA pinned back with Werner, with Havertz dropping back into midfield to provide a numerical advantage. You can't deny that TAA was far less influential than usual, especially in the first half.

I thought tactically it broadly worked well, but the execution was lacking - the moment where Kante was played in about 14 yards from goal only to turn back and recycle possession (eventually all the way back to our CBs) stood out as the nadir.
Defensively I thought you did well but I think you were found wanting a bit going forward. I thought we had more control over the game in the first half without creating a great deal.

Still it’s early in the season and you have more signings to come in.

Ludens the Red

Neither did you though.

I think the Chelsea side seem to be confused about that game. You were pretty rubbish to be honest. Defensively good but that’s not hard when you’re playing 500 dms.
I thought Lampard interview was pretty delusional. You were at home to a Liverpool side who shipped three to newly promoted Leeds last week and the best you could come up with going forward was kick and rush football to Werner.
If the tactic was - defend deep, pass ball to Werner who then runs and falls over the ball then the tactic worked perfectly.
I’ve seen you lot play ten times better against city and Liverpool and other big teams in previous encounters. Today was s a gigantic step backwards, why the Chelsea camp are dressing it up as something else is beyond me.

el3mel

Losing to PL champions isn't really a big deal to be totally honest. I think the jury is still out on them but no doubt they'll need to improve. I doubt Roman will be that patient with Lampard this season considering how much money they spent.

Nickelodeon

I have emphatically declared today (in my closed group) that Lampard wouldn’t be the Chelsea manager this time next year. Don’t think Abramovich would let him continue even if he finishes third. Chelsea aren’t like us who would suddenly accept not competing for titles.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Outside of their two penalties, Chelsea has had a total of about .65 xg in their two matches so far. Obviously playing with 10 you're not going to generate much offense but they really have created very little so far this year.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Ziyech will be fantastic for them, him and Pulisic will solve any chance creation problems they might have. And Thiago Silva will make them a lot more solid at the back, people are underestimating him because of his age but he's still great. They'll get top 4 which is where they should be, asking Lampard to compete with this Liverpool and City teams this season is asking way too much.

DarkLord

I have emphatically declared today (in my closed group) that Lampard wouldn’t be the Chelsea manager this time next year. Don’t think Abramovich would let him continue even if he finishes third. Chelsea aren’t like us who would suddenly accept not competing for titles.
I think Abramovich would give him more time than any other manager considering he is a club legend and the players are all bought for him. Not sure what else Roman wants. City and Liverpool will be in a league of their own for at least the next 3 years and it's just the rest playing catch-up for 3rd and 4th. Chelsea will be fine. They always have backbone. A loss to the defending champion with 10 men and getting knocked out by Bayern who went on to win the CL and is currently the best team in the world is no shame.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
They were actually playing a competent game and surprised me that they approached it realistically by playing on the counter with Werner, but I guess that complete feck up in the end of 1st half cost it all

Suedesi

Timo Werner seems a bit of a diver. The penalty seemed soft and then he was rolling again on the floor a few minutes later when the Pool player took the ball off cleanly.

Also he had a clear opportunity arund the 18th minute where he could run straight at Allison. Instead he decided to come in central, attempt a dribble that nobody bought, and faff around until Fabinho simply took the ball off him.

Nickelodeon

I think Abramovich would give him more time than any other manager considering he is a club legend and the players are all bought for him. Not sure what else Roman wants. City and Liverpool will be in a league of their own for at least the next 3 years and it's just the rest playing catch-up for 3rd and 4th. Chelsea will be fine. They always have backbone. A loss to the defending champion with 10 men and getting knocked out by Bayern who went on to win the CL and is currently the best team in the world is no shame.
I think he already has. The only manager who Roman hasn’t sacked after a trophyless first season is Jose is his second stint. Who also had some credit in the bank at that time. There’s a reason why Chelsea have been so aggressive in the market. They aren’t settling for top 4. This year they have tried the approach with rehaul of the squad but can’t do the same every year. I expect that it will be manager time next year.

reelworld

Chelsea will be fine. If they have Pulisic and Ziyech I think they could've nick it. All in all, it took a red card for Liverpool to take advantage.
It'll be interesting to see how this played out again in Anfield.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Timo Werner seems a bit of a diver. The penalty seemed soft and then he was rolling again on the floor a few minutes later when the Pool player took the ball off cleanly.

Quite happy with Werner‘s impact so far. Looks sharp and is already very effective.

Liverpool were playing well yesterday.Nevertheless, I liked our game plan before the red card. After that it was a bit meh to be honest. Felt like a kick in the teeth.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Also he had a clear opportunity arund the 18th minute where he could run straight at Allison. Instead he decided to come in central, attempt a dribble that nobody bought, and faff around until Fabinho simply took the ball off him.
Yeah i thought he would curl that in.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Lampard tried taking the game to us previously, even succeeded pretty well with it and lost anyway. Don't blame him for trying a different approach this time.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard tried taking the game to us previously, even succeeded pretty well with it and lost anyway. Don't blame him for trying a different approach this time.
I think this might be a permanent tactical shift for the team, playing deeper and countering more, more balanced and defensive style. This style of play suits the players we have and Kante, Werner especially. It has looked reasonably effective in the two games so far, we've just been missing that final pass or shot when breaking to get in on goal or test the keeper.

We were doing ok in the game yesterday until the rugby tackle by Christensen, no idea what he can have been thinking there.

We need to get Kepa out, dont' see what good it will do him rotting on the Bench either though, needs to go somewhere and play to hopefully get some form back even if we have to subsidize his wages.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It could have worked if we hadn't had to play with 10 men for 45 minutes. Liverpool were huffing and puffing, not really creating anything and we looked somewhat threatening on the counter with Werner. I don't know if we would hold out for 90 minutes with 11 men, but even with 10 men it still needed a complete howler, putting it on a plate for Mane and a penalty miss to help you get the win, so I think we were secure enough defensively.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea will be fine. If they have Pulisic and Ziyech I think they could've nick it. All in all, it took a red card for Liverpool to take advantage.
It'll be interesting to see how this played out again in Anfield.
I am optimistic, still I do not think it is a given.
There might be a few surprise teams this year with Everton, Leicester, Wolves.... let's see how Arsenal and Spurs do... we might see a season where every team bar Liverpool will have to fight for top 4.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It could have worked if we hadn't had to play with 10 men for 45 minutes. Liverpool were huffing and puffing, not really creating anything and we looked somewhat threatening on the counter with Werner. I don't know if we would hold out for 90 minutes with 11 men, but even with 10 men it still needed a complete howler, putting it on a plate for Mane and a penalty miss to help you get the win, so I think we were secure enough defensively.
Been quite happy with the defensive structure so far, haven't even come close to conceding a set piece so far either (fluke sample size or new coach made a difference?).

I'm a little concerned about the attacking structure though, ever since the return from lockdown it's looked shit (depresses me when I think how good the Everton game before the shutdown was) the sheer amount of individual quality we've got should get us top 4 relietevely comfortably but not sure we can make the next jump (to a title) with this, I know we did under Jose but we weren't facing two super human freaks back then.