Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Just like last year, their shocking defense and awful GK will prevent them from winning anything. Talented squad no doubt but they need to find some defensive stability if they want to be title contenders again.
The "awful GK" won't be playing most weeks. And regarding our defense this season's been that fecked up we've probably had the best defense of the top six so far bar Spurs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Their defence was garbage last year too. I don't think its due to personnel (apart from Kepa, but Pickford is also shite for Everton and they have a better defence). Its down to whatever tactics lampard has them playing. Makes for exciting football, but definitely not something that will win the bigger things.

As for the rest, yeah they spent a lot but a lot of them are still young, itll take some adaptation time. I'm sure they'll get top 4 in the end, but they won't run away with it over the other competitors.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think Chelsea knew that the defense would be the weak link but went with it anyway, deliberately accepting the risk of a transitional season. It's clear that their main priority this year was to capitalize on the Corona situation and secure the signings of attacking talents that they wouldn't be capable of signing otherwise - at least not in their state at that point in time. Ziyech, Havertz and Werner in one summer elevated the whole club. They already began sorting out the defense with the Chilwell transfer and Thiago Silva was signed as a temporary solution to paper over the cracks.

In essence, there have been quite a few clubs who successfully saw such a transfer strategy through. Liverpool with van Dijk is the most obvious example, but Klopp did it before with Dortmund, too.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Difference is our main culprits won't sniff the pitch with everyone available, you lot will still persist with DDG, Lindelof and Maguire.
A world class save at 1-1 and an equaliser. Not bad for lads we have to persist with. Please keep making these prophetic posts before each United game.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I can’t believe if we beat them next week we go above them with a game in hand :lol:
That’s quite something. If it does happen, I look forward to the mental gymnastics to explain why Lampard is doing phenomenally in comparison to Ole.

cyberman

That’s quite something. If it does happen, I look forward to the mental gymnastics to explain why Lampard is doing phenomenally in comparison to Ole.
Its gone from cant judge him they spent nothing to cant judge him he has a lot of players to bed in already.
Maybe by 2035 he can stand by his results

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
A world class save at 1-1 and an equaliser. Not bad for lads we have to persist with. Please keep making these prophetic posts before each United game.
Ah so you're at the denial stage where you hold on to outlier's to "prove people wrong".

Reminds me of what I was like in regards to Torres for a while, good times!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ah so you're at the denial stage where you hold on to outlier's to "prove people wrong".

Ha, you need to read my posts in the United forum. I’ve been hammering DDG and Maguire for a long time now. Just found the timing of your post funny.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chillwell seems to have started well. Defence is a major issue but nobody looks defensively sound this year, it looks like one of those where if you have a compact midfield ala Doucoure/Allan (Using us as an example) you'll manage to limit the goals you concede and then outscore your opponents rather than get clean sheets with a solid CB pairing. If Chelsea can manage to do that they'll be in the top 4 mix as they have a lot of firepower.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Some Man United fans seem annoyed that Chelsea fans are not turning on their manager in the same way they are.
This thread is a masterclass from Chelsea fans in deflecting. How you’ve drawn that conclusion is genuinely beyond me. Many of us are in here pissing ourselves at how Lampard is oblivious to the obvious issues with his team.

AshRK

Some Man United fans seem annoyed that Chelsea fans are not turning on their manager in the same way they are.
Maybe rather than being annoyed at chelsea fans , some united fans can learn from them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This thread is a masterclass from Chelsea fans in deflecting
Yeah. Everything somehow ends up with ManUtd comparison.

"Chelsea defense is poor" reply would be "yeah so is ManUtd's"

"Kepa is poor" reply would be "they won't be part of team when everyone is fit, same cant be said about De Gea and Maguire"

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The "awful GK" won't be playing most weeks. And regarding our defense this season's been that fecked up we've probably had the best defense of the top six so far bar Spurs.
Everton, Arsenal and City have all conceded less

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Everton, Arsenal and City have all conceded less
Arsenal and City have two top keepers saving their defenses backsides. Ours and Liverpool's are injured and for some strange reason you ain't playing yours, hence our worse concession numbers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Arsenal and City have two top keepers saving their defenses backsides. Ours and Liverpool's are injured and for some strange reason you ain't playing yours, hence our worse concession numbers.
Dunno. Arsenal sold their best keeper to Villa

Feed Me

I'm hungry

"Kepa is poor" reply would be "they won't be part of team when everyone is fit, same cant be said about De Gea and Maguire"
Spot on. I’d love to have a debate where it didn’t descend into that on this thread.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Yes because United fans don't systematically bring up Lampard as a means to defend Ole..._

Hypocrite!!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This thread is a masterclass from Chelsea fans in deflecting. How you’ve drawn that conclusion is genuinely beyond me. Many of us are in here pissing ourselves at how Lampard is oblivious to the obvious issues with his team.
Well he does hence why he replaced Kepa and Christensen and brought in extra fire power to stop us constantly being shithoused like we were last season.

As for deflection like i said to Roonster, you lot constantly bring up Lampard as a means to defend Ole (you've done it on this very page), are the rules different for you?

Last edited:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Well he does hence why he replaced Kepa and Christensen and brought in extra fire power to stop us constantly being shithoused like we were last season.

As for deflection like i said to Roonster, you lot constantly bring up Lampard as a means to defend Ole, are the rules different for you?
I don’t. Ole is shit. End of discussion.

roonster09

Scout
Yes because United fans don't systematically bring up Lampard as a means to defend Ole..._

Hypocrite!!
Hypocrite? :lol: Looks like kid has copied some words from his mum's phone.

Talking about players is also systematically comparing managers.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hypocrite? :lol: Looks like kid has copied some words from his mum's phone.
So after preaching and getting on your high horse about deflection tactics you go ahead and use, umm, deflection tactics :lol:

roonster09

Scout
So after preaching and getting on your high horse about defection tactics you go ahead and use, umm, defection tactics :lol:
What deflection tactic? You really are struggling here. At least you are consistent though, shit posts all the time.

roonster09

Scout
Talking about my mum's phone to deflect from your hypocrisy isn't a deflection tactic? :lol:

I knew you weren't the most knowledgeable person to ever exist but I didn't think you were on Joey Essex tier.
:lol: One more to the collection. It would have been bigger insult if you said I was one Dancfc's tier. Joey Essex is levels above you.

Also I knew you are just a shit poster and you prove with every post. Consistency is amazing.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Also I knew you are just a shit poster and you prove with every post. Consistency is amazing.
That's funny because I've seen you say the same about a lot of other posters one example being that Levekusen fan, is that another one of your go to deflections when you've been made to look silly?

roonster09

Scout
That's funny because I've seen you say the same about a lot of other posters one example being that Levekusen fan, is that another one of your go to deflections when you've been made to look silly?
Do you think that title belongs to you only? :lol:

Must be a record, 3-4 posts without mentioning ManUtd player or cheap shots.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Do you think that title belongs to you only? :lol:
So you're the only common denominator in these "scraps" yet it's always the other person at fault and who's "stupid", you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, every time :lol:

roonster09

Scout
So you're the only common denominator in these "scraps" yet it's always the other person at fault and who's "stupid", you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, every time :lol:
No, it's right place at the right time to call out stupid posts, surprisingly most of the time it's your posts :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No, it's right place at the right time to call out stupid posts, surprisingly most of the time it's your posts :lol:
But coincidentally all these "stupid" posts seem to happen at the exact time you view a thread and always involve you in some way shape or form.

There is obviously a coaching issue, even if their full defense hasn't played together much. The amount of space between their midfield and backline is ridiculous, it's like Frank wants the best of both worlds where he'll press with the attack and midfield but not leave space in behind. In reality that leaves his defenders isolated and in positions to make mistakes as soon as a midfielder loses the ball or the opposition breaks the press.

Seems like all the analysis here boils down to digs from both sides about spending or aging defenders or that it's 'all individual mistakes that will disappear when Mendy steps in'. There's pretty clear tactical faults in this Chelsea side that Lampard needs to recognize, regardless of whether his spending was prudent.

SinNombre

Exactly. United fans being toxic about their club doesn't mean the Chelsea lot needs to do the same.

Though dancfc is also unable to see the forest from the trees when it comes to his constant Chelsea vs United digs.

You have to be a moron to think that the level shown by United (or Barca, City, Sevilla or other teams struggling without a preseason) at the start of this season is fully representative of their actual abilities, while at the same time arguing that Chelsea have a much higher level to come.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I find it odd they decided to loan out Sarr who is arguably one of their better defenders.
Think this is a reach. It's very telling that in a market where loan players were highly desired he could only secure one at Porto where he'll arguably be playing out of position at left back. He has a lot of upside but he's not ready to play for Chelsea yet (not surprised as he's only 21).

There is obviously a coaching issue, even if their full defense hasn't played together much. The amount of space between their midfield and backline is ridiculous, it's like Frank wants the best of both worlds where he'll press with the attack and midfield but not leave space in behind. In reality that leaves his defenders isolated and in positions to make mistakes as soon as a midfielder loses the ball or the opposition breaks the press.

Seems like all the analysis here boils down to digs from both sides about spending or aging defenders or that it's 'all individual mistakes that will disappear when Mendy steps in'. There's pretty clear tactical faults in this Chelsea side that Lampard needs to recognize, regardless of whether his spending was prudent.
I'd say Chelsea's defensive issues are real but are also magnified by a propensity for ludicrous individual errors. The biggest issue for me is that there is no suitable partner for Kante - he's fundamentally not a defensive midfielder given his tendencies to press vertically and he needs to be played alongside someone who will sit deep and cover in behind. The interest in Rice makes a lot of sense in this context. We also tend to commit too many players forward on attacks - this is on Lampard. I'd personally like to see us adopt a more positionally-driven approach - at times it feels like we resort to pushing players forward without necessarily having a clear plan in terms of where they should go & how we should attack as a unit. I'm a fan of the 5 / 5 approach typified by Conte, Pep, and Klopp. Too often we're unbalanced and are attacking with 6 or 7 players and it makes us too easy to play through.

Listar

You do have your Lampard now so.....

Its weird Chelsea fans only tag me after they've won asking if I have change my stance :lol:

Listar

I think they are mostly laughing to be honest. But don't worry I am pretty sure the turning will start soon if results don't improve. Hopefully by this weekend? Even if you win it proves nothing though. Still hot and cold. Luckily for you guys no one is getting their act together.