Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So another clean sheet for the no name keeper.

Truly vindcates that Kepa was the biggest problem, him in goal last three games we probably lose to Sevilla 0-1, Rashford's two shots and Mata's one go in and we lose 3-0 to United and we quite possibly concede 1 or 2 last night (Mendy claimed a lot of high balls that would have caused god knows what trouble with Kepa in goal) and the usual suspects will be telling us how bad our defense supposedly is and how Lampard can't coach a back line.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
So another clean sheet for the no name keeper.

Truly vindcates that Kepa was the biggest problem, him in goal last three games we probably lose to Sevilla 0-1, Rashford's two shots and Mata's one go in and we lose 3-0 to United and we quite possibly concede 1 or 2 last night (Mendy claimed a lot of high balls that would have caused god knows what trouble with Kepa in goal) and the usual suspects will be telling us how bad our defense supposedly is and how Lampard can't coach a back line.
Not saying Kepa wasn't a problem, he clearly was. However, isn't the problem that Lampard seems to be able to either set Chelsea up to not concede goals but then struggle to create or set Chelsea up to score but leave them wide open to the counter? Chelsea just seem to not be able to strike a balance atm, 4231 seems a horrible fit for the side as the midfield seem unable to transition the ball from back to front.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not saying Kepa wasn't a problem, he clearly was. However, isn't the problem that Lampard seems to be able to either set Chelsea up to not concede goals but then struggle to create or set Chelsea up to score but leave them wide open to the counter? Chelsea just seem to not be able to strike a balance atm, 4231 seems a horrible fit for the side as the midfield seem unable to transition the ball from back to front.
One of the things, and so far our "tactics" are so inconsistent it is difficult to know for sure, is Frank has been trying to use the 4231 to get Werner more involved. It truly has not been great as we do not have the players that can execute a two man pivot and it causes Havertz to drop deeper to help. Once we went back to the 433 last night, the attack came alive. It really is difficult with Frank learning how to manage as he is managing a big club. I hope he succeeds, but it is not without struggle.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd say the sample size is too small. In some games, the defense looked as if it severely lacked quality, too, but then again their record last season wasn't that bad considering they had Kepa in goal, so it might have been outliers. The jury is still out, I suppose. If you ask me, their plan was to land some great talents this summer, taking advantage of their special situation, and address the defense in the following year, signing Thiago Silva as a bridging solution. But as I said, it might even be the case that they don't need to do that.

Can't say how much of all that has to do with Lampard. I was very sceptical when Chelsea signed him since in my experience, clubs employing ex players as coaches usually set the wrong priorities ("knows the club", "knows how to treat stars", etc. instead of tactical adpeptness, vision, concept etc.) but I'm not so sure anymore. It's really hard to tell since there are so many variables regarding Chelsea.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Tiago Silva is a joy to watch. Class is permanent they say. That's 4 straight clean sheets with all 3 of Lampard's defensive additions starting and in two of those games the opposition had Zero shots on target (Palace and Burnley). Lampard clearly knew what he wanted there after last season. Great job on that front.
Hakim Ziyech is class. Will get due recognition as one of the best players in the league by season’s end.

Wayne's World

Ziyech is absolute class. Have wondered for two years watching him at Ajax why no-one was going in for him when he was even doing it on the European stage.

He's the kind of player who could make a difference between 2nd and 1st, similar to Bruno in our regards

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Ziyech is absolute class. Have wondered for two years watching him at Ajax why no-one was going in for him when he was even doing it on the European stage.

He's the kind of player who could make a difference between 2nd and 1st, similar to Bruno in our regards
He is also the kind of player you need with Werner and Havertz in your team, they lacked the proper service/player to connect with in the first few games.
That's also the area where Chelsea can still improve a lot, the chemistry in the offense isn't really there yet.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Tiago Silva is a joy to watch. Class is permanent they say. That's 4 straight clean sheets with all 3 of Lampard's defensive additions starting and in two of those games the opposition had Zero shots on target (Palace and Burnley). Lampard clearly knew what he wanted there after last season. Great job on that front.
Hakim Ziyech is class. Will get due recognition as one of the best players in the league by season’s end.
Wouldn’t take too much from us and Burnley having no shots mate, we are both f*cking woeful. Roy is strangling the life out of some good attacking players at Palace in particular.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I don't think it's coincidence though either Chelsea are starting to keep clean sheets. Kepa was genuinely terrible and Caballero is a bit shaky. Mendy doesn't have to be amazing, do the basics right and voila.

432JuanMata

I don’t like seeing these being steady at the back as I feel Liverpool and City are guaranteed top 4 which leaves 2 spots and I one thing this season I thought was Chelsea were woeful at the back we would finish above them now I’m not sure

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn’t take too much from us and Burnley having no shots mate, we are both f*cking woeful. Roy is strangling the life out of some good attacking players at Palace in particular.
I agree that games against Crystal Palace and Burnley we are of course favorites to win but with a team that has struggled to keep out goals since last season and only recently shipped 3 goals against Westbrom and Southampton, we'll take whatever cleensheet comes our way, esp ones with the oppo not getting a sniff at our goal. Mind you your team put 3 goals past United playing the exact same way you played against us. You're right though, with the attacking talents you have right now Roy should be doing a lot better. Eze looks like an exciting prospect. If you could get a creative CM and a proper RW into your team, someone like Greame Potter will be good for your team.
I don’t like seeing these being steady at the back as I feel Liverpool and City are guaranteed top 4 which leaves 2 spots and I one thing this season I thought was Chelsea were woeful at the back we would finish above them now I’m not sure
If both teams get their act together they should make top 4 with ease relative to last season. We both have better squads and depth than the like of Spurs, Arsenal and Everton.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, if Chelsea continue to defend well they'll be top 3 with their depth and quality in the final third. I still think they may be one proper DM and CB (not sold on Zouma and Silva can probably only play 60-75% of the season) short to mount a real title challenge. However, if they shore up, they must be the third best team easily.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Kai Havertz has tested positive for Covid and will be in isolation.

Lee565

Talk about night and dy between united and Chelsea since that 0-0 draw, Chelsea have created perfect balance between defending and attacking off the back of that result and showing form that if kept up would make them more than just top 4 contenders but title contenders. United under solskjaer on the other hand since that result have been all over the place with no clear idea of what ole is trying to do.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What is that, 5 clean sheets in a row? Amazing how much difference Mendy and Silva has made.
6 in a row for Mendy (he missed the Southampton game with a small knock picked up on international duty), 5 in a row for Chelsea.

Small interview last night with Cech - he was the driving force behind us signing Mendy along with Lollichon. Also great to see we're deferring to their expertise now after ignoring Lollichon's poor assessment of Kepa.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Talk about night and dy between united and Chelsea since that 0-0 draw, Chelsea have created perfect balance between defending and attacking off the back of that result and showing form that if kept up would make them more than just top 4 contenders but title contenders. United under solskjaer on the other hand since that result have been all over the place with no clear idea of what ole is trying to do.
Mendy and Silva communicating with the rest of the back line has been huge. The other thing that might be less obvious is the coach, Anthony Barry, that Lampard brought in with just the responsibility of organizing the defence and defending corners and set pieces. I am critical of Lampard at times as he learns while managing a large club. It is a mark of good managing to bring in people to coach what you cannot.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I knew the defensive troubles were more personnel than systematic (all the underlying metrics pointed to that) but this has gone well above even my expectations, the difference is obscene.

If we can get our long term CB signing right we're set for years.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Its all good so far but I'll be happier when we beat a good side.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Indeed but the team was shipping goals even against bottom of the table sides.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The team is on a roll, the back 5 seem like they have developed a good understanding among themselves, and with Kante ahead of them. We also seem to defend better as a team generally. If we can beat Sheffield United this weekend, there's a good chance we'll be just 1 or 2 points behind the league leaders.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mendy and Silva communicating with the rest of the back line has been huge. The other thing that might be less obvious is the coach, Anthony Barry, that Lampard brought in with just the responsibility of organizing the defence and defending corners and set pieces. I am critical of Lampard at times as he learns while managing a large club. It is a mark of good managing to bring in people to coach what you cannot.
Yeah, we've changed how we defend set plays this season to more of a half zonal / half man marking scheme and it looks much better. Currently we're first in the PL in aerial duel win rate - it shows our players are being put in positions to succeed more often than not. Also, having Havertz on the front post has been a big help - he's been very reliable clearing near post corners.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Team still not play to their full potential. For that pulisic need to play as left forward and ziyech as right forward with Werner from middle.

Started to worry about pulisic's recurring injuries. With him Chelsea attack will attain next level. Hope he will be injury free after the international break busy festive schedule.

Defense started to produce results already. Will be better in coming days.

Pagh Wraith

6 in a row for Mendy (he missed the Southampton game with a small knock picked up on international duty), 5 in a row for Chelsea.

Small interview last night with Cech - he was the driving force behind us signing Mendy along with Lollichon. Also great to see we're deferring to their expertise now after ignoring Lollichon's poor assessment of Kepa.

We wanted to add a slightly different type of goalkeeper

A good one he means :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Think Chelsea have a similar problem to United with Pulisic and Werner being their Pogba and Bruno. When one is injured as Pulisic is now they can play a much more balanced side because it completely removes the possibility to try and shoehorn the big names in.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is crazy how much better this team can become. This is just the beginning.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Think Chelsea have a similar problem to United with Pulisic and Werner being their Pogba and Bruno. When one is injured as Pulisic is now they can play a much more balanced side because it completely removes the possibility to try and shoehorn the big names in.
Chelsea s best team should be included Werner and pulisic not either one of them. Ziyech Werner pulisic will be the front three when pulisic fit.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Team looks much more balanced in the last few games. Though we have to consider we should be beating the teams played since Utd game pretty comfortably. Games against Spurs and Seville will be bigger tests.

I think only having either Mount or Havertz on the pitch at once has helped balance a lot. Key signings are Chilwell, Mendy and Silva so far for me. Thought it would take 10 games or so for us to settle given no pre season.

Shame we have the international break now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’ve got a good squad capable of challenging for the title, I feel their manager will be their undoing though. If they upgrade on Lampard next summer I’ll be very worried about them. Give a top manager that squad & they mount a serious title challenge.

Similar to us really. Need a better manager & a new centre back. They’re a bit ahead of us as we need another winger too.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
That is what we want to see.

A lot of the goals we have conceded have tended to be individual errors this season IIRC, which I think would keep our xG down. We've looked much better and much less open in recent games.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They’ve got a good squad capable of challenging for the title, I feel their manager will be their undoing though. If they upgrade on Lampard next summer I’ll be very worried about them. Give a top manager that squad & they mount a serious title challenge.

Similar to us really. Need a better manager & a new centre back. They’re a bit ahead of us as we need another winger too.
What have you seen this season so far that suggests that Lampard can't take them to a title?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Goes without saying

But has Lampard demonstrated some sort of naivety or cluelessness?
He was oddly reluctant to go back to the 4-3-3 that worked so well after project restart with Kante sitting deeper - it's not a coincidence that we've improved dramatically since going away from the 4-2-3-1. Instead of having to shoehorn Mount in on the left, he's back playing as an 8 which looks his best position by a distance. Havertz seems to work equally well as an 8 or a 10. Kante obviously has to curb some of his forward pressing instincts, but the team as a whole is more balanced with him being more disciplined in his positioning.

Beyond that, I think most Chelsea fans would like to see more minutes for some of our younger players - particularly CHO and Tomori - but this is small potatoes and I'm happy we've found a settled and effective first XI.