Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
@ Chelsea fans: Describe Mount to me because I seem to be missing something regarding him.
Not a forward. If southgate stopped being a coward with 3 cbs and 2 dms, he should be in midfield.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Is he a good player ? I just find him so underwhelming.
There's very little that he's bad and he's not especially flashy. That said, he's an elite presser and borderline elite shot creator. He's definitely not a forward - it's clear his best position is as an 8 in a 3 man midfield. It's not a coincidence that Chelsea have been playing our best football with him in that position as opposed to being shoehorned in on the left in a 4-2-3-1.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Non-flashy players who are actually good are often looked at as underwhelming until they build up a body of work spanning several years that can no longer be overlooked or go unnoticed. Lampard went through a similar process 20 years ago.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Would it be fair to compare him a bit to Mourinho’s Oscar?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Would it be fair to compare him a bit to Mourinho’s Oscar?
Oscar was a decent but ultimately underwhelming #10 who had an incredible work rate, so Mourinho preferred him over significantly more talented guys like Mata and KDB.

Mount is in the team on merit, at Chelsea at least and is continuously one of the better performers in the team - hovering around top 2/3 in nearly every game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Non-flashy players who are actually good are often looked at as underwhelming until they build up a body of work spanning several years that can no longer be overlooked or go unnoticed. Lampard went through a similar process 20 years ago.
This is why I wanted other opinions on him. It felt like there was something I wasn't seeing

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Oscar was a decent but ultimately underwhelming #10 who had an incredible work rate, so Mourinho preferred him over significantly more talented guys like Mata and KDB.

Mount is in the team on merit, at Chelsea at least and is continuously one of the better performers in the team - hovering around top 2/3 in nearly every game.
Yeah, he's been very good for you this season and his versatility is an added bonus. Do you think a midfield3 of Kante, Mount and Havertz can work - assuming Pulisic, Ziyech and Werner are all fit.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, he's been very good for you this season and his versatility is an added bonus. Do you think a midfield3 of Kante, Mount and Havertz can work - assuming Pulisic, Ziyech and Werner are all fit.
A 433 system with those 3 in midfield is likely what Lampard is starting to settle on, it brings out the best in both Mount and Havertz, and with this formation guys like Kovacic and Jorginho can come in and out of the team without having to alter the system.

kouroux

There's very little that he's bad and he's not especially flashy. That said, he's an elite presser and borderline elite shot creator. He's definitely not a forward - it's clear his best position is as an 8 in a 3 man midfield. It's not a coincidence that Chelsea have been playing our best football with him in that position as opposed to being shoehorned in on the left in a 4-2-3-1.
Thanks for the info

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
@ Chelsea fans: Describe Mount to me because I seem to be missing something regarding him.
He is young. Has wonderful matches and not so wonderful matches, but the work rate is always 120%. He is not as good when played out of the 8 position. I am not sure why any manager puts him on the wing?

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
This is why I wanted other opinions on him. It felt like there was something I wasn't seeing
Could be that maybe you don't watch a lot of Chelsea games and only see him in the National team where he is almost always played out of position. I get the same feeling about Sancho as well. I don't watch the BuLi where he is obviously putting up elite numbers but every time I see him in an England shirt I can't help but ask what the fuss is all about.

Like others have already said, he's not the flashy, take on the world type. He's a workhorse, tidy, keep the play ticking type who loves getting into the oppo box to score. He's much more effective as an attacking #8 in a 4-3-3. His attributes are wasted as a #10 or a winger.

romufc

Lampard sees alot of himself in Mount. The way football has changed, its no surprise managers are rating the likes of Mount in a team. They let other talented players shine whilst giving 8/10 every game.

He may not be the guy you go to to create and score goals but in combination with ZIyech, Havertz he will go under the radar, create and score goals whilst doing something that the other two wont, press and be really good of the ball.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
A 433 system with those 3 in midfield is likely what Lampard is starting to settle on, it brings out the best in both Mount and Havertz, and with this formation guys like Kovacic and Jorginho can come in and out of the team without having to alter the system.
Yeah no doubt. Was just wondering about defensive stability but i think they are all hardworking enough to cover the ground and put the oppo under pressure. Kante covers the field well enough for 2 players anyway :lol:

Would be an exciting lineup, if it all clicks. I do think Abraham adds something up top for you guys though, and Werner seems best suited coming in from wide. Will be interesting what Lampards preferred XI will be once everyone is fit.

kouroux

Could be that maybe you don't watch a lot of Chelsea games and only see him in the National team where he is almost always played out of position. I get the same feeling about Sancho as well. I don't watch the BuLi where he is obviously putting up elite numbers but every time I see him in an England shirt I can't help but ask what the fuss is all about.

Like others have already said, he's not the flashy, take on the world type. He's a workhorse, tidy, keep the play ticking type who loves getting into the oppo box to score. He's much more effective as an attacking #8 in a 4-3-3. His attributes are wasted as a #10 or a winger.
Au contraire, last game from England I watched fully was the WC semi :lol: I don't watch Chelsea that often tbh. I'm glad with all the answers I've received as Mount never really stood out for me

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good opportunity to overtake/close the gap on some teams tomorrow.

Leicester are away at Liverpool. Spurs are at home to City and Southampton are away at Wolves.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Leicester are away at Liverpool. Spurs are at home to City and Southampton are away at Wolves.

Lets win our game first. We are usually shit up there.

RashyForPM

Lets win our game first. We are usually shit up there.
Hope the International break properly took the wind out of your sails lads. You’ve looked nothing short of brilliant recently, albeit against poor opposition after playing us. Annoying thing is that’s exactly what Newcastle are.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hope the International break properly took the wind out of your sails lads. You’ve looked nothing short of brilliant recently, albeit against poor opposition after playing us. Annoying thing is that’s exactly what Newcastle are.
If there was a time to catch us cold, it could be this weekend. The annoying thing about the international break is that some key players are either a doubt or out of this game. Lampard has already confirmed Thiago Silva is out due to arriving late back from Brazil. Chilwell went off injured in one of the England games. Havertz has only recently joined up in training after 2 weeks in isolation. Would have been nice if our game was on Sunday evening.

RashyForPM

If there was a time to catch us cold, it could be this weekend. The annoying thing about the international break is that some key players are either a doubt or out of this game. Lampard has already confirmed Thiago Silva is out due to arriving late back from Brazil. Chilwell went off injured in one of the England games. Havertz has only recently joined up in training after 2 weeks in isolation. Would have been nice if our game was on Sunday evening.
Silva seems to always be tired after international breaks :lol: Suppose a bad (or good) thing about signing South Americans is that they really love their country and would play for them at the age of 60 if it was possible. Havertz doesn’t really matter IMO, as Werner-Abraham-Ziyech look very good.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Silva seems to always be tired after international breaks :lol: Suppose a bad (or good) thing about signing South Americans is that they really love their country and would play for them at the age of 60 if it was possible. Havertz doesn’t really matter IMO, as Werner-Abraham-Ziyech look very good.
Yeah it was the one major downside about Silva being 36 - we would have to manage him differently and with more care than the rest of the squad. Now that you mention it, do Brazilians ever retire from international duty. They all seem to play on and on until they are no longer deemed good enough.

I'd 100% rather have Havertz in the middle 3 than Kovacic or Jorginho, but yeah the team has continued to play well in his absence.

Fussball13251

The league is between Chelsea & Liverpool and I think Chelsea will win it. They have improved defensively and they have an amazing goalie.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The league is between Chelsea & Liverpool and I think Chelsea will win it.
Much as I'd love that to happen I think this is a bit premature - our fixture list has generally been kind overall.

Certainly the league looks more open than I'd anticipated given Liverpool's issues in defense and Man City's in attack - I still wouldn't have us up there as title contenders just yet. That said, I would say we're favourites for 3rd and I'd be surprised if we finished outside the top 4.

Fussball13251

Much as I'd love that to happen I think this is a bit premature - our fixture list has generally been kind overall.

Certainly the league looks more open than I'd anticipated given Liverpool's issues in defense and Man City's in attack - I still wouldn't have us up there as title contenders just yet. That said, I would say we're favourites for 3rd and I'd be surprised if we finished outside the top 4.
City look very weak. They've all taken a step down. In fact I can see Pep getting sacked.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
This is definitely the hardest year to pick a winner. I still believe fitness and squad depth over the best first eleven will win the league. Could do without internationals spreading COVID though, they just need to be banned outright.

Wilt

Mendy is a game changer for Chelsea ...best keeper in the prem

bsCallout

Mendy reminds me of Pickford in everything he does. Except the big mistakes so far.

Not convinced he's anywhere near best keeper in the league. In good form currently though.