Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mendy reminds me of Pickford in everything he does. Except the big mistakes so far.

Not convinced he's anywhere near best keeper in the league. In good form currently though.
Don't understand this comparison in the slightest, as Mendy and Pickford are polar opposites - Mendy is aggressive on crosses given he's 6 inches taller and he's an elite shot stopper (9th in save percentage last year among all goalkeepers in Europe). Pickford's only redeeming quality is his kicking, which happens to be the weakest part of Mendy's game.

bsCallout

Don't understand this comparison in the slightest, as Mendy and Pickford are polar opposites - Mendy is aggressive on crosses given he's 6 inches taller and he's an elite shot stopper (9th in save percentage last year among all goalkeepers in Europe). Pickford's only redeeming quality is his kicking, which happens to be the weakest part of Mendy's game.
The shot stopping is almost identical in my opinion. Except Pickfords blunders. Mendy is better aerially due to his height of course.

Fussball13251

No offense but there's a zero percent chance Pep gets sacked having just signed a 2 year extension this past week.
He will be. They're not scoring as much. I can see them finishing outside top 4. Their GF at this point last season was triple higher.

Sitting with 12 points. That's a mountain to climb already. Pool, Chelsea, Spurs will hardly drop points.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The shot stopping is almost identical in my opinion. Except Pickfords blunders. Mendy is better aerially due to his height of course.
In fairness Pickford has/had high potential so if Mendy can be what Pickford who furfills his promise would have looked like I'd not have that many complaints tbh!

bsCallout

In fairness Pickford has/had high potential so if Mendy can be what Pickford who furfills his promise would have looked like I'd not have that many complaints tbh!
Exactly. He has Pickfords best attributes, looking very similar in how he does it, perhaps not as good with his passing, but without some of the awful stuff.

Pagh Wraith

Pickford is the worst shot stopper in the league statistically. Bizarre to compare Mendy to him in that regard.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So assuming Pickford saves the shots he fails to, he's the same as Mendy? This is bizarre. There is no comparison in terms of shot stopping or cross collection, and it's exceptionally odd to say that Mendy evokes Pickford when they couldn't be further apart in terms of strengths, weaknesses, & physical profiles.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He will be. They're not scoring as much. I can see them finishing outside top 4. Their GF at this point last season was triple higher.

Sitting with 12 points. That's a mountain to climb already. Pool, Chelsea, Spurs will hardly drop points.
So you think that a single loss to Tottenham is likely to be the difference between him being sacked and signed to a two year deal? It's quite plain that City are anticipating getting Messi either this winter or next summer; there's absolutely zero chance they sack Pep in that context regardless of where they are in the league.

bsCallout

Pickford is the worst shot stopper in the league statistically. Bizarre to compare Mendy to him in that regard.
So assuming Pickford saves the shots he fails to, he's the same as Mendy? This is bizarre. There is no comparison in terms of shot stopping or cross collection, and it's exceptionally odd to say that Mendy evokes Pickford when they couldn't be further apart in terms of strengths, weaknesses, & physical profiles.
Pickford is a bad shot stopper because he makes errors and lacks concentration.

His actually shot stopping ability is very good.

Look at how they both save shots, the hands down style, the acrobatic saves that almost look like they've gone past the keeper. The saves with the feat, which are both slightly different to the DDG style.

I'm not comparing them on ability, i'm comparing them on style.

I expect Mendys style will cause him to make some mistakes too, possibly due to positioning, but not due to a lapse of concentration like Pickford.

Mendy has some other attributes that really make Pickford look bad as highlighted such as the cross collection. Stylistically they are still similar.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Pickford is a bad shot stopper because he makes errors and lacks concentration.

His actually shot stopping ability is very good.

Look at how they both save shots, the hands down style, the acrobatic saves that almost look like they've gone past the keeper. The saves with the feat, which are both slightly different to the DDG style.

I'm not comparing them on ability, i'm comparing them on style.

I expect Mendys style will cause him to make some mistakes too, possibly due to positioning, but not due to a lapse of concentration like Pickford.

Mendy has some other attributes that really make Pickford look bad as highlighted such as the cross collection. Stylistically they are still similar.
Pickford is a bad shot stopper because he is short, has short arms, and has terrible technique when diving. Mendy is tall, has long arms, and his technique is very good. The "hands down style" that you refer to has to do with 1v1s, where again Mendy is much better because he doesn't overcommit like Pickford does - he stays back and waits for the attacker to make a move.

It's genuinely a bizarre comparison. They are stylistically nothing alike.

bsCallout

Pickford is a bad shot stopper because he is short, has short arms, and has terrible technique when diving. Mendy is tall, has long arms, and his technique is very good. The "hands down style" that you refer to has to do with 1v1s, where again Mendy is much better because he doesn't overcommit like Pickford does - he stays back and waits for the attacker to make a move.

It's genuinely a bizarre comparison. They are stylistically nothing alike.
I just don't agree at all.

Stylistically I think they are very similar. You see to be comparing ability/attributes such as the short arms etc. Pickford definitely doesn't have awful technique when diving. That's a bit bizarre in itself.

I'm not questioning Mendy is better, and perhaps the style suits him much more due to his wingspan. When I watch them though I can't help but see so many stylistic similarities.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I just don't agree at all.

Stylistically I think they are very similar. You see to be comparing ability/attributes such as the short arms etc. Pickford definitely doesn't have awful technique when diving. That's a bit bizarre in itself.

I'm not questioning Mendy is better, and perhaps the style suits him much more due to his wingspan. When I watch them though I can't help but see so many stylistic similarities.
Pickford's technique is lacking and has done for a long time:

He also has a tendency to use his bottom hand when diving - again, poor technique:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jor...JD80Q_AUoAXoECAcQAw&biw=2133&bih=1041&dpr=0.9

Mendy is technically extremely sound - this is why Cech and Lollichon rated him so highly. His weaknesses are more specific - his long passing and rebound control are his biggest weaknesses. Fundamentally different from Pickford.

bsCallout

Pickford's technique is lacking and has done for a long time:

He also has a tendency to use his bottom hand when diving - again, poor technique:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jor...JD80Q_AUoAXoECAcQAw&biw=2133&bih=1041&dpr=0.9

Mendy is technically extremely sound - this is why Cech and Lollichon rated him so highly. His weaknesses are more specific - his long passing and rebound control are his biggest weaknesses. Fundamentally different from Pickford.
I see so many similarities as I've said. Perhaps we'll see when Mendy faces a few more shots in the league.

Mendy even goes foot first 1v1. Mendy also puts the ball back in to danger often with shots at him like Pickford. They are both similarly acrobatic in their shot stopping often looking like they scoop the ball to safety.

Mendy's wingspan and frame seems to make up for some of it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I see so many similarities as I've said. Perhaps we'll see when Mendy faces a few more shots in the league.

Mendy even goes foot first 1v1. Mendy also puts the ball back in to danger often with shots at him like Pickford. They are both similarly acrobatic in their shot stopping often looking like they scoop the ball to safety.

Mendy's wingspan and frame seems to make up for some of it.
This is pointless. You've just said "these three things are the same" whilst providing no evidence and not actually refuting the point that Pickford is a terrible shot stopper and Mendy isn't.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Pickford is a mini Joe Hart.

Mendy has a Cech or VDS kinda feel about him (calm and quiet, rather than ability-wise).
One of the worst traits a GK can possibly have. A quiet GK is a horrendous thing

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think perhaps unflappable would be closer to what I mean, I don't remember Cech or VDS losing their shit much at all but
Cech certainly didn’t. Just always stayed cool, took everything that came near him and made Stamford Bridge into a fortress. Damn I miss having Petr in goal..

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Beating Spurs next weekend would be such a statement win for this team.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This feels random but here's some Tammy praise from Luis Suarez.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Jammy on the night but through to the last 16 at least. A draw away at Sevilla would just about clinch first; a win would make it certain.

Overall I thought we were fortunate to get the 3 points, but Lampard gambled in light of the Spurs game and it paid off. Fortuitous but I'll not complain.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Jammy on the night but through to the last 16 at least. A draw away at Sevilla would just about clinch first; a win would make it certain.

Overall I thought we were fortunate to get the 3 points, but Lampard gambled in light of the Spurs game and it paid off. Fortuitous but I'll not complain.
I advocated for quite heavy rotation as I thought guys like Zouma, Werner, James, Kante etc needed rests.we got some rotation, and we got the win so no complaints really.

Would have preferred to bring Werner off earlier and not be forced to bring on Kante and Ziyech.

Big test in Sunday.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I advocated for quite heavy rotation as I thought guys like Zouma, Werner, James, Kante etc needed rests.we got some rotation, and we got the win so no complaints really.

Would have preferred to bring Werner off earlier and not be forced to bring on Kante and Ziyech.

Big test in Sunday.
Yeah agreed, though at least Zouma didn't play heavy minutes during the international break. Personally I didn't mind Kante and Ziyech getting a bit of a run-out - it wasn't a plastic pitch or anything and we've now got 4 days' recovery until the Spurs match.

I actually thought Werner, Mount, and Chilwell were most in need of resting but at the same time, this is a bit of a rare opportunity to recover with a very short trip back and multiple days off.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah agreed, though at least Zouma didn't play heavy minutes during the international break. Personally I didn't mind Kante and Ziyech getting a bit of a run-out - it wasn't a plastic pitch or anything and we've now got 4 days' recovery until the Spurs match.

I actually thought Werner, Mount, and Chilwell were most in need of resting but at the same time, this is a bit of a rare opportunity to recover with a very short trip back and multiple days off.
In fairness unless the Sevilla match is a draw the last game practically becomes a friendly so I'd imagine the entire first choice team won't sniff the pitch in that scenario, that combined with the fact we're out of the cup will mean two midweeks without playing for key players which could prove very handy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness unless the Sevilla match is a draw the last game practically becomes a friendly so I'd imagine the entire first choice team won't sniff the pitch in that scenario, that combined with the fact we're out of the cup will mean two midweeks without playing for key players which could prove very handy.
I'd hope so! Absolutely gutted that Sevilla got that late winner, though in fairness they'd say the same about us.

Even a score draw for us would put us just about out of sight so long as we don't botch it at home to Krasnodar. Certainly I'd hope we take finishing first in the group seriously given last year's debacle vs. Valencia and subsequent draw against Bayern.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'd hope so! Absolutely gutted that Sevilla got that late winner, though in fairness they'd say the same about us.

Even a score draw for us would put us just about out of sight so long as we don't botch it at home to Krasnodar. Certainly I'd hope we take finishing first in the group seriously given last year's debacle vs. Valencia and subsequent draw against Bayern.
Tbh that winner didn't really make a difference in terms of what we need to do next week, even with a two point lead it would have still been win to top the group and draw to keep it in our hands.

I echo what you say about finishing top, I wasn't too fussed last year because I didn't feel we would beat any team of serious note over two legs but this year I think every team bar Bayern and Liverpool are firmly beatable, I don't think we will win it but we're long overdue a deep run so avoiding Bayern next round would be huge.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh that winner didn't really make a difference in terms of what we need to do next week, even with a two point lead it would have still been win to top the group and draw to keep it in our hands.

I echo what you say about finishing top, I wasn't too fussed last year because I didn't feel we would beat any team of serious note over two legs but this year I think every team bar Bayern and Liverpool are firmly beatable, I don't think we will win it but we're long overdue a deep run so avoiding Bayern next round would be huge.
Actually that's a good point, I've not yet sat down and thought about the scenarios.

Completely agree re: the relative strength of the opposition - Bayern have dropped bad points already in the Bundesliga; you'd be hard pressed to name a juggernaut side who's a runaway favourite at the moment. Getting a decent draw for the RO16 would be hugely helpful.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Throwback to back to when Juan Mata took the pass at the Lane