Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Feed Me

I'm hungry
What makes them a mercenary club, exactly? Would it be better if players just showed up next day for training after being embarrassed by a second worst side in the league and were just all smiles like nothing happened? Because that's exactly what I'd expect a mercenary to do. If people react angrily, that means they care about more than just their pay cheque.

This whole mercenary argument got old long time ago.
Perhaps mercenary is the wrong word, but the dressing room at Chelsea is like the Wild West. How do you have a situation where there can be such drama and clear leaks to the media after just one poor result? You seem indignant by a suggestion that these players rule the roost and will eventually see off Tuchel. Utterly bizarre culture.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You are a mercenary club to be fair. Look at the way you discarded your most successful ever manager twice, and the way you discarded your two biggest legends in Terry & Lampard.

Im not even having a go, it’s just true. Roman wants success & money. That’s it.
And the way you "discarded" Keane, Rio Vidic and Rooney to name four was better?

If anything the old guard stayed in the team too long (written in the stars CL win aside).

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm curious as to how we discarded John Terry. I actually don't think it's possible to give a player a better farewell than the one we gave him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm curious as to how we discarded John Terry. I actually don't think it's possible to give a player a better farewell than the one we gave him.
Wasn't he also offered the chance to stay in the same reduced role but didn't want to block another players path?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And the way you "discarded" Keane, Rio Vidic and Rooney to name four was better?

If anything the old guard stayed in the team too long (written in the stars CL win aside).
Keane left by mutual consent after the MUTV controversy. Vidic chose to leave & announced in January he was going to Inter in the summer. Rio was out of contract & chose to leave. Only Rooney you could say was “discarded” and even that it’s at a push.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Another random fan who absolutely have no idea what happens at Manchester united. Get your facts right before you try to post something as an argument.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yep (that was his shirt number). I remember everyone laughing at how over the top and cringy it was (it was). Now people criticising Chelsea for the way we just "discarded" him.

Bonkers.
Yep, I feel as though the debate has gone in a strange direction. For the record, I never got the feeling that Chelsea mistreated any of their legends in recent times.

I just found the coverage after the Albion game a bit strange is all. Given the form you have shown under Tuchel, I’m not sure why the media is full of stories about fall outs, bust ups and so forth.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I just found the coverage after the Albion game a bit strange is all. Given the form you have shown under Tuchel, I’m not sure why the media is full of stories about fall outs, bust ups and so forth.
I've seen the one story about Rugider and Kepa having an argument. What are the others?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I've seen the one story about Rugider and Kepa having an argument. What are the others?
Matt Law has been critical in the last days, in articles and tweets. I guess he is not getting preferred treatment that he enjoyed with Lampard.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Another random fan who absolutely have no idea what happens at Manchester united. Get your facts right before you try to post something as an argument.
In that case the same should be said about the person who commented on our players.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yep (that was his shirt number). I remember everyone laughing at how over the top and cringy it was (it was). Now people criticising Chelsea for the way we just "discarded" him.

Bonkers.
I remember I had people tripping over themselves when I pointed out Drogba had a similar farewell a couple of years before, "where was your faux outrage then?" resulted in many of them not being seen again for a while.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Sorry, to clarify, that’s what I meant – multiple articles around the whole Kepa and Rudiger thing. It seems so bizarre that has turned into a news story when the reality is neither was involved with the Albion game. I suppose this is the nature of football at the very top, but mad to see drama because of one loss after about 14 matches during which you only conceded twice. I was speculating that there must be some sort of mole for such an everyday incident to end up in the media and blown out of proportion.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry, to clarify, that’s what I meant – multiple articles around the whole Kepa and Rudiger thing. It seems so bizarre that has turned into a news story when the reality is neither was involved with the Albion game. I suppose this is the nature of football at the very top, but mad to see drama because of one loss after about 14 matches during which you only conceded twice. I was speculating that there must be some sort of mole for such an everyday incident to end up in the media and blown out of proportion.
Any even semi successful club has that type of drama to a certain degree.

I'd have been a lot more worried/annoyed if they went to training happy clapping.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
In that case the same should be said about the person who commented on our players.
Is that how you see it ? You talk incorrect things about our players so let me say wrong about you ? Seriously?

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
You are a mercenary club to be fair. Look at the way you discarded your most successful ever manager twice, and the way you discarded your two biggest legends in Terry & Lampard.

Im not even having a go, it’s just true. Roman wants success & money. That’s it.
Mourinho deserved sacking the second time around, He deserved it just for selling KDB alone never-mind where we were in the league at the time. The guy cost us a £100M pound player.
He was given Courtois, Hazard, KDB, Mata, Lukaku without having to spend a penny and still messed it up.

TheReligion

Abusive
Mourinho deserved sacking the second time around, He deserved it just for selling KDB alone never-mind where we were in the league at the time. The guy cost us a £100M pound player.
He was given Courtois, Hazard, KDB, Mata, Lukaku without having to spend a penny and still messed it up.
Salah...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Salah was at least slightly defensible at the time because he'd not completely lit the world on fire at Fiorentina or Roma on loan. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but he certainly went up a level in his permanent season at Roma and then several more levels once at Liverpool.

KdB, on the other hand, was completely indefensible at the time and only ludicrously more so in retrospect. Believe he still had 3.5 years left on his deal when sold - and apparently what tipped the scales was Mourinho deciding unequivocally that he wasn't good enough in league cup game. Believe me when I tell you that this haunts me to this day - I genuinely struggle to think of a stupider decision made by a top club in the past decade.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
[QU

The panic buy of Kepa for £72 million and then a huge wage on a 7 year contract.
Eh I think that one can be defensible given the circumstances - Courtois completely fecked us over with the timing of his training strike, so we basically had to find a goalkeeper who could play with his feet and had a release clause. Obviously I wish we'd picked someone besides Kepa, but we were caught between a rock and a hard place.

KdB, on the other hand, had ample time left on his contract and had looked excellent for Bremen on loan already. Selling him for £18m or whatever it was was criminal.

cyberman

Salah was at least slightly defensible at the time because he'd not completely lit the world on fire at Fiorentina or Roma on loan. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but he certainly went up a level in his permanent season at Roma and then several more levels once at Liverpool.

KdB, on the other hand, was completely indefensible at the time and only ludicrously more so in retrospect. Believe he still had 3.5 years left on his deal when sold - and apparently what tipped the scales was Mourinho deciding unequivocally that he wasn't good enough in league cup game. Believe me when I tell you that this haunts me to this day - I genuinely struggle to think of a stupider decision made by a top club in the past decade.
We sold Ronaldo when he had 3 years left on his contract all because Sir Alex wanted to stick by his word. They were too close in the end

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
We sold Ronaldo when he had 3 years left on his contract all because Sir Alex wanted to stick by his word. They were too close in the end
Yeah that stings too obviously. At least you got a reasonable fee for him though and he didn't wind up at a direct rival becoming the best player in the league!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

He had an amazing season at Bremen and Mourinho treated him poorly after his return. Mourinho wasn't planning on playing him and De Bruyne wanted to move to Dortmund, who had just sold Gotze to Bayern. Everything was finalized but then Mourinho vetoed the deal, only to sell to Wolfsburg 6 months later. I'll never forgive Mourinho for screwing Dortmund over like that.

Can't fecking imagine how good Dortmund would've been with De Bruyne, Reus, Lewandowski, Gundogan and Aubamayeng that season :( They then had to settle for Mhikitaryan.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He had an amazing season at Bremen and Mourinho treated him poorly after his return. Mourinho wasn't planning on playing him and De Bruyne wanted to move to Dortmund, who had just sold Gotze to Bayern. Everything was finalized but then Mourinho vetoed the deal, only to sell to Wolfsburg 6 months later. I'll never forgive Mourinho for screwing Dortmund over like that.

Can't fecking imagine how good Dortmund would've been with De Bruyne, Reus, Lewandowski, Gundogan and Aubamayeng that season :( They then had to settle for Mhikitaryan.
Yeah that would have been some side. Can't even imagine what KdB could have done there given Mkhitaryan's output.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
No because Mourinho bought him, the other players i mentioned were already young quality players there before he took over and Mourinho never had to buy them.
And Salah wasn't great with us, and we know Mourinho has little patience with younger players.

Sea-Cow

Bonkers.
Haha thank you for reminding me about this. That was hands down the lamest thing I've ever seen in a football match. So embarrassing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think the Porto game last night was almost, for both players and fans, really important to just get a solid result, sod the performance. I just really needed to know the West Brom game was just a blip and not the start of another rocky period.

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think it helped that Porto played so well to begin the match. Our players had to hold the line and build momentum after they played so bad after going down to 10 men in the WBA game. They needed to play out of a tough place. Porto showed they belonged in the quarterfinal. Losing their top two scorers would have been an easy time to just lay down and not fight.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Your fans and players literally just stopped short of sucking him off as he left the field. Embarrassing scenes. Worst farewell ever.

Obviously he wanted it and your subservient squad indulged him. But every single farewell for all other players was better.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Your fans and players literally just stopped short of sucking him off as he left the field. Embarrassing scenes. Worst farewell ever.

Obviously he wanted it and your subservient squad indulged him. But every single farewell for all other players was better.
It was amazing and hearing other teams supporters cry about it just made it sweeter. Just like JT collecting the CL trophy. :wenger:

UnrelatedPsuedo

It was amazing and hearing other teams supporters cry about it just made it sweeter. Just like JT collecting the CL trophy. :wenger:
Nobody cried. It was just super cringey. It’s cool that you all liked it. But nobody was sad or envious. Everyone just thought ‘Thank Fcuk that wasn’t us’.

Watching Scholes and Keane reluctantly hoist the European Cup high, last in line, in suits..... vs JT’s antics. Deep down you know how you’d rather go out.

Not pissing on your picnic though. If you liked it, cool.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Nobody cried. It was just super cringey. It’s cool that you all liked it. But nobody was sad or envious. Everyone just thought ‘Thank Fcuk that wasn’t us’.

Watching Scholes and Keane reluctantly hoist the European Cup high, last in line, in suits..... vs JT’s antics. Deep down you know how you’d rather go out.

It might make more sense to you when you consider it in the wider context. JT had led the line in a number of CL campaigns that we really should have won, especially that slip taking the final penalty again United. For him to not be able to play that final where we finally won it was devastating, and so him coming out and taking his rightful place with a team he'd led for over a decade was just right.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It might make more sense to you when you consider it in the wider context. JT had led the line in a number of CL campaigns that we really should have won, especially that slip taking the final penalty again United. For him to not be able to play that final where we finally won it was devastating, and so him coming out and taking his rightful place with a team he'd led for over a decade was just right.
For Chelsea fans. To Everyone else it felt like an episode of The Office.

Chelsea fans rejoiced and supported. But you were a laughing stock for doing so. I’m certain that you don’t care. Which makes it all the funnier.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Did the same apply a year later when Rooney celebrated your title in a full kit despite not playing the match on the day?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
For Chelsea fans. To Everyone else it felt like an episode of The Office.

Chelsea fans rejoiced and supported. But you were a laughing stock for doing so. I’m certain that you don’t care. Which makes it all the funnier.
Laughing at a club legend for celebrating with his team as they won the biggest prize in football was pretty much the definition of small time.

TheReligion

Abusive
Terry in full kit wanker mode after the CL final was very funny. Obviously different to Rooney who was celebrating the win of a full league campaign which he contributed heavily to as opposed to a one off cup final which went to the wire.

Subtle differences but important all the same.