Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Terry in full kit wanker mode after the CL final was very funny. Obviously different to Rooney who was celebrating the win of a full league campaign which he contributed heavily to as opposed to a one off cup final which went to the wire.

Subtle differences but important all the same.
If we just ignore the entire CL campaign that led up to that point, sure.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What did he say?
"Tammy had a bit of a rough time because twice he was substituted at half-time for tactical changes," said Tuchel.

"So he could not have the impact that he demands from himself, we wish from him and he can clearly give for us.

"Then he got injured and the squad played very well without him. Now suddenly we enter the decisive part of the season where it's not so easy to bring players who were injured into the shape or to let them play."

"But it's on Tammy to do everything to make it impossible to leave him out," he added. "It's very, very hard to select the 18 players for Premier League matches."

"In the offensive positions it's always possible to have a huge impact in only some minutes," he said.

"And nothing has changed. We demand a lot of Tammy and he demands a lot of himself, and he is using every minute to convince us he needs to be on the pitch. And so we go on.

"Hopefully he stays fit and will play a key role in the end of the season."

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
"Tammy had a bit of a rough time because twice he was substituted at half-time for tactical changes," said Tuchel.

"So he could not have the impact that he demands from himself, we wish from him and he can clearly give for us.

"Then he got injured and the squad played very well without him. Now suddenly we enter the decisive part of the season where it's not so easy to bring players who were injured into the shape or to let them play."

"But it's on Tammy to do everything to make it impossible to leave him out," he added. "It's very, very hard to select the 18 players for Premier League matches."

"In the offensive positions it's always possible to have a huge impact in only some minutes," he said.

"And nothing has changed. We demand a lot of Tammy and he demands a lot of himself, and he is using every minute to convince us he needs to be on the pitch. And so we go on.

"Hopefully he stays fit and will play a key role in the end of the season."
That's not too bad, is it?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
That's not too bad, is it?
Tuchel is usual much more positive about a player returning and getting minutes. It sounds like there may not be many opportunities with the remainder of the season to get minutes. Tuchel has been rather dedicated to getting Werner and Havertz time as forwards and Giroud coming on against low block teams. Tammy may not see playing time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel is usual much more positive about a player returning and getting minutes. It sounds like there may not be many opportunities with the remainder of the season to get minutes. Tuchel has been rather dedicated to getting Werner and Havertz time as forwards and Giroud coming on against low block teams. Tammy may not see playing time.
I see Tammy similar to how i did Lukaku. Reliable goalscorer but not good enough to lead us into an era of success like Drogba and Costa did.

If he's happy being a horses for courses player going forward then great, if not there's a deal that suits all parties type deal ready to be had.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Feel like Havertz is pretty clearly our best option at 9 at the moment. That said, I did find it odd that Tammy didn't come on against Porto - they were hardly playing a low block and Giroud did absolutely nothing consequently. Could be a case of it being too much too soon for Tammy - hopefully he starts against Palace tomorrow.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Come on, it's clear Tuchel doesn't fancy Abraham. Him leaving is very much the plan i reckon

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Tammy is a decent finisher but lacking quite considerably in other areas of his game. Technically and off the ball he's below premier league average. Attitude is another big question mark. Maybe he could improve those areas and be a top striker. That was Lampard's project with him imo. Giroud barely got a game despite being an obviously better option in some kinds of matches.

Tuchel doesn't fancy him for the moment, got hooked at half time in games he started and didn't even make the squad often.

Don't think future is set though, Tammy could still come back strong.

lysglimt

Scout
A norwegian footballer called Yaw Amankwah is working on a research-program on Chelsea which focuses on body language. After each training, him and a sports professor at the local university starts analyzing every Chelsea-game, and have done so for over 18 months.

They have now created a model with over 50 variables that captures every bit of body language on the pitch during a game.

And his analysis was that 2 Chelsea-players were by far the most important players especially when Chelsea were struggling - Juninho and Azpilicueta. Especially the latter is the one who creates most positive energy with his gestures or body language. And Amankwah also said that this new focus was really revealling to see which players play for the team, or who focuses on themselves

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
A norwegian footballer called Yaw Amankwah is working on a research-program on Chelsea which focuses on body language. After each training, him and a sports professor at the local university starts analyzing every Chelsea-game, and have done so for over 18 months.

They have now created a model with over 50 variables that captures every bit of body language on the pitch during a game.

And his analysis was that 2 Chelsea-players were by far the most important players especially when Chelsea were struggling - Juninho and Azpilicueta. Especially the latter is the one who creates most positive energy with his gestures or body language. And Amankwah also said that this new focus was really revealling to see which players play for the team, or who focuses on themselves
Juninho or Jorginho?

TheReligion

Abusive
Feel a bit sorry for Tammy although see he's on the bench today. He's 23 and got a good scoring record for Chelsea yet looks like he's going to get moved on.

Would be nice for Chelsea to stick with the academy grads. Surely he's a good option.

Dansk

I don't pay any real attention to Chelsea, so I wasn't even sure what their squad was like. I just looked it up and it struck me how weak it seems. For an "oil club" with quite a bit of success in the last couple of decades, it's just not a frightening team. They're so far behind City and PSG that it's almost comical. They spend as much as anyone and have been at the top for long enough to be an established "superclub," yet they don't look any stronger than they did a couple of years after the Abramovic takeover, and possibly even weaker.

Makelele

I don't pay any real attention to Chelsea, so I wasn't even sure what their squad was like. I just looked it up and it struck me how weak it seems. For an "oil club" with quite a bit of success in the last couple of decades, it's just not a frightening team. They're so far behind City and PSG that it's almost comical. They spend as much as anyone and have been at the top for long enough to be an established "superclub," yet they don't look any stronger than they did a couple of years after the Abramovic takeover, and possibly even weaker.
I dunno. Looks like one of the best young teams in Europe poised for a big run the next few years. Squad is quite strong IMO.

Jaxa

Don’t say that too loud on here mate you’ll get shot down,

*cough*.But I agree not really impressed by them at all, boring team *cough*

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
They have a lot of potential in attack that may come good for seasons to come. Would say their attacking depth is very exciting and would be optimistic if I was a Chelsea fan. However Im still not sold with their defence.

Don’t know how many more seasons they can rely on Alonso, Azpi, Rudiger and now Silva. The whole back four needs upgrading if they want to compete with City and other top clubs imo. The only one With potential in their defence is James.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Don’t say that too loud on here mate you’ll get shot down,

*cough*.But I agree not really impressed by them at all, boring team *cough*
Think you might need some time off redcafe to self-isolate.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
They have a lot of potential in attack that may come good for seasons to come. Would say their attacking depth is very exciting and would be optimistic if I was a Chelsea fan. However Im still not sold with their defence.

Don’t know how many more seasons they can rely on Alonso, Azpi, Rudiger and now Silva. The whole back four needs upgrading if they want to compete with City and other top clubs imo. The only two I rate in their defence is James and Chilwell.
If you told me 5 months ago I would be singing Christensen's praises I would have said you were a loony. Him and Rudiger have been our outstanding defenders in the last 20 games (where we've kept 15 clean sheets). Azpilicueta is done at full back but he is perfect in his slot in a back 3. With Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma, James and Chilwell we only need 2 more to come in in the next 12 months.

Jaxa

Think you might need some time off redcafe to self-isolate.
What because you dont like my opinion of your current team on a Manchester United forum ?

I don’t thinks it’s me that needs a break, you proved my point.

Cheers

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

Don’t know how many more seasons they can rely on Alonso, Azpi, Rudiger and now Silva. The whole back four needs upgrading if they want to compete with City and other top clubs imo. The only one With potential in their defence is James.
Silva is the crown jewel in that defense but probably only has another season as a starter. Rudiger has been great since reintroduction and has another 4/5 years left. Azpi probably another two. Alonso is not the first choice fullback. Chilwell and James have been good this season. And Christensen has had some top performances. And then Zouma is fairly competent. Plus Ampadu will be in the mix at some point. I don't see any 'need' for upgrades.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
What because you dont like my opinion of your current team on a Manchester United forum ?

I don’t thinks it’s me that needs a break, you proved my point.

Cheers
I think you missed the joke. *cough*

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Silva is the crown jewel in that defense but probably only has another season as a starter. Rudiger has been great since reintroduction and has another 4/5 years left. Azpi probably another two. Alonso is not the first choice fullback. Chilwell and James have been good this season. And Christensen has had some top performances. And then Zouma is fairly competent. Plus Ampadu will be in the mix at some point. I don't see any 'need' for upgrades.
We could do with a top cb. But striker is most important

Pagh Wraith

Their metrics are just through the roof under Tuchel. Only 7 xG allowed in 14 league games which is the best in the league by a distance, 25 created (only bettered by City) and overall on par with City a with a big gap to the rest. Outperformed the opponent in every game they played in league and Champions League.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Think they have one of the most exciting young teams in the world right now. Potential world class in almost every positiom.

Dansk

Think they have one of the most exciting young teams in the world right now. Potential world class in almost every positiom.
About 10% of "young talent with potential" actually materialize into anything once they get past their early twenties. If that's the entire core of a team, I don't expect much from it. It can happen, but it's incredibly unusual. How many players have we had who, at 19-22, looked like they were in course to become world class, and then we sold them to Leicester at 25 for £7m or kept them as reserve players who get four starts per season? Chelsea currently have almost no players who would be seriously wanted by any other top club. That seems worrying for them.

In almost all cases, the players who are going to become world class have already made it abundantly clear by 20 or 21.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
On the current level our starting XI is better and I said this before the season started. So I have to agree with you one thing that their XI is not frightening enough.

However, it's contrast to their squad depth. Their squad depth is much better than our squad depth and I dare to say strongest or 2nd strongest squad depth in the league. Everytime I look at their bench, you can see strong and quality bench. Which is why they are able to stay on in many competition this season because they have quality to rotate.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tuchels doing a terrific job. Their ability to retain possession in most situations impresses me the most. They don't seem to play indulge 'aimless' actions or percentage balls. Like with City everything has a level of precision to it. But of course they have a long way to go in terms of the business ends of the pitch. The attack is still poor. And defence while solid under Tuchel, still has major holes.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am hopeful good enough for two trophies this year and our young attackers find their place.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
About 10% of "young talent with potential" actually materialize into anything once they get past their early twenties. If that's the entire core of a team, I don't expect much from it. It can happen, but it's incredibly unusual. How many players have we had who, at 19-22, looked like they were in course to become world class, and then we sold them to Leicester at 25 for £7m or kept them as reserve players who get four starts per season? Chelsea currently have almost no players who would be seriously wanted by any other top club. That seems worrying for them.

In almost all cases, the players who are going to become world class have already made it abundantly clear by 20 or 21.
Most of their young players are already past that step and very mature. I think you'll be proven wrong rather sooner than later. I feel that's an elite team in the making and they've got one of the best coaches in the world at the sideline. Tuchel is really underrated. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they could get a title in this year.

AkaAkuma

Are Havertz and Werner improving or are there indications they will justify the fees?