Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are Havertz and Werner improving or are there indications they will justify the fees?
Havertz, yes. I have no doubts about him.

Werner, still has zero confidence in front of goal but contributes in many other ways. He seems to be in good spirits about his scoring form though, so will be interesting to see how he fares next season.

AkaAkuma

Havertz, yes. I have no doubts about him.

Werner, still has zero confidence in front of goal but contributes in many other ways. He seems to be in good spirits about his scoring form though, so will be interesting to see how he fares next season.
What position will they develop into? Forgive, I watch very little nowadays, but enjoy keeping up to date.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Most of their young players are already past that step and very mature. I think you'll be proven wrong rather sooner than later. I feel that's an elite team in the making and they've got one of the best coaches in the world at the sideline. Tuchel is really underrated. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they could get a title in this year.
German poster likes the team with the German players and Tuchel. I for one am shocked...

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
German poster likes the team with the German players and Tuchel. I for one am shocked...
Nothing to do with nation. feck patriotism.

The reason is most of us are football snobs, and we like the intellectual part of the game. Smart ass Tuchel is our wet dream.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Are Havertz and Werner improving or are there indications they will justify the fees?
They will both start against Real and if we win the whole thing they'll have already justified the fees spent. They have both improved in recent weeks and I hope Tuesday is their 'coming of age' for Chelsea.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What position will they develop into? Forgive, I watch very little nowadays, but enjoy keeping up to date.
Havertz could really do well leading the line, it looks like he has his best performances there. Werner on the other hand (while seen more as a striker than Havertz) won't be their No 9 regularly. Somehow I always think he is a bit lost in that position, not because of his abilities, but because of mental pressure, he seems to be very susceptible to it.

Running at the defense from the left (assisted by Havertz passing back to him) should be his best position to be used - not being the one really up front, but wreaking havoc by his speed should utilize him best.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Difficult to say for both of them. Havertz has excelled recently in the false 9 but he can be effective in various roles across the front. I have high hopes for him.
Werner is more complicated. He doesn't seem to have defined role within the more traditional attacking positions.

Lee565

What will they do with havertz next season when it is strongly rumoured that chelsea will sign a striker this summer?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
What will they do with havertz next season when it is strongly rumoured that chelsea will sign a striker this summer?
It's a squad game.
Looks increasingly likely both giroud and tammy are gone at the end of this season.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Havertz could really do well leading the line, it looks like he has his best performances there. Werner on the other hand (while seen more as a striker than Havertz) won't be their No 9 regularly. Somehow I always think he is a bit lost in that position, not because of his abilities, but because of mental pressure, he seems to be very susceptible to it.

Running at the defense from the left (assisted by Havertz passing back to him) should be his best position to be used - not being the one really up front, but wreaking havoc by his speed should utilize him best.
Only issue with that is lw is also pulisics best position and when he's on song he's probably the most talented guy we got.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I’m hoping Werners hesitations and finishing will come back naturally next season. Most people outside of Chelsea will think he is doing badly because he can’t score and yet he has contributed 20 goals this season. His pace and ability to break lines has probably also contributed to goals he didn’t get any assists in.

We win 80% of matches he starts, simply put, he is a key player.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel is also transitioning Werner from a speed demon that was free wheeling and needed the ball to him early and run in wide open spaces to a more technical striker. The PL showed early in the season the defenders in this league can deal with his speed. That goal yesterday was built earlier in the game and he missed it. He is showing more and more he is understanding how to be patient and create spaces in defenses. He is also learning to use his speed to use bursts to clear a defender and shoot. I think he will come good, his work ethic is fantastic. Havertz can excel in many positions. I think another striker will have Werner in a strike partnership with Havertz playing behind both of them. Pulisic, CHO, Mount and the rest will all be incorporated. Tuchel has shown he will rotate everyone to stay strong for all competitions. He wants what the players want, trophies and as many as he can get in every season.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As crap as Werner has been, he's contributed 23 goals+assists this season (one every 139 minutes).

I said at the start of the season he will consistently give 25-30 g+a a season given his style of play. Not far off eventhough even I think he's been terrible at times :D

Can only imagine how much better his stats will be if he remembers how to finish.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
As crap as Werner has been, he's contributed 23 goals+assists this season (one every 139 minutes).

I said at the start of the season he will consistently give 25-30 g+a a season given his style of play. Not far off eventhough even I think he's been terrible at times :D

Can only imagine how much better his stats will be if he remembers how to finish.
He should have easily hit 20 goals this season for all the chances he's had.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Given he's a Levekusen fan he wouldn't like Tuchel and Werner remotely if he was being partisan.
You clearly haven’t seen the Bundesliga fans on this forum. All massively pro Bundesliga in nearly every way.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I haven't consulted any stats, based purely on the eye test, all our other attackers get into scoring positions once or twice per game on average. Werner gets there more than double that, but he misses about 80% of them. If he ever rediscoveres his scoring touch, he'd be a goldmine.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
It could end up being a fantastic season for us if we can clinch a trophy.

FA Cup + Top 4 + A deep CL run would be a massive result and would give us the platform to push on financially. Winning the CL would be even better.

Of course at the moment we could lose out on all three fronts or we could win the CL and FA Cup, it's so open!

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think with a ST and CB signing, they would be competing for the title next season along with City.
depends who the ST and CB are. Lukaku and Kounde are the strongest links, if its those 2? I'd say yes

Still would definitely take Aguero for a year ona free, if he can stay fit. A fit Aguero for example on Tuesday v Madrid, and I think the tie could be over already

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Interesting that Chelsea is linked to Sancho more and more. If true, it could mean Mount playing in CM more often, or even permanently. Or perhaps a switch to 4-3-3? I reckon plan A would be a formation that accommodates all of Mount, Pulisic, Sancho.

Could of course be nonsense, as Chelsea have just recently invested large sums in attacking talent & depth. But for me such a move would still make sense, for Sancho's potential and his nationality.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Interesting that Chelsea is linked to Sancho more and more. If true, it could mean Mount playing in CM more often, or even permanently. Or perhaps a switch to 4-3-3? I reckon plan A would be a formation that accommodates all of Mount, Pulisic, Sancho.

Could of course be nonsense, as Chelsea have just recently invested large sums in attacking talent & depth. But for me such a move would still make sense, for Sancho's potential and his nationality.
Cannot see Sancho at Chelsea. Chelsea would be mad to switch formations with the way it fits them and their two glaring weaknesses in the squad make-up is CF and a left footed CB. If they buy Sancho they would have the following: Sancho, Pulisic, Ziyech, Mount, CHO and Harvetz/Werner all trying to play those two roles behind the CF/False 9. Only way they could fit him in is to sell at least two of the 5/6 they have there already.

Not going to happen imo. If Sancho comes to England it will be Utd or City. Dippers may have a chance but I just don't see FSG coughing up.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

I believe it when I see them holding a kit. I think if Sancho comes in, someone up front is not staying. I don't know? I doubt anyone knows. Chelsea are really tight lipped about incoming and leaving players until the deals are down to the final details.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Probably leaked by Dortmund or agent to bid his price up... not likely...

If we spend big money would be on a striker I think, well covered elsewhere. Need sell a couple players first too.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@everyone replying

I think the only possibility for such a move would be if the club sees Sancho as an opportunity on a potential world beater / global star that can't be missed, and no CF of elite calibre is available. As for attacking players piling up, Giroud & Abraham look like they're leaving, and I wouldn't be surprised if CHO thinks about it too. So that might be up to 3 attackers less. And then the issue of (possibly) having to accommodate Mount elsewhere.

So yeah, I agree, that's a lot of ifs, and it doesn't look very likely. Still interesting to see how this summer's saga unfolds.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
feck sancho. We have enough players occupying those positions get a striker

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
@everyone replying

I think the only possibility for such a move would be if the club sees Sancho as an opportunity on a potential world beater / global star that can't be missed, and no CF of elite calibre is available. As for attacking players piling up, Giroud & Abraham look like they're leaving, and I wouldn't be surprised if CHO thinks about it too. So that might be up to 3 attackers less. And then the issue of (possibly) having to accommodate Mount elsewhere.

So yeah, I agree, that's a lot of ifs, and it doesn't look very likely. Still interesting to see how this summer's saga unfolds.
For me much of it comes down to the club's evaluation of Havertz - if Tuchel continues to play him as a false 9 and wants to pursue players to fit that system, then maybe Sancho makes some sense especially if others leave - Ziyech perhaps? That would leave us with Havertz, Werner, and probably Mount as potential options as the 9 in attack - not terrible all things considered.

Also would say it's worth considering the last time the club viewed a talent as too good to pass up without considering squad fit - that'd be Havertz. Certainly there are legitimate reasons why he's struggled (e.g. severe case of COVID he took a while to recover from, 21 year old moving abroad and unable to see his family and donkeys for months on end, adjustment to the pace of the PL, etc.), but I think it's fair to say he hasn't hit the ground running. Some of these considerations might not apply to Sancho given his roots in England but might give Chelsea pause.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
For me much of it comes down to the club's evaluation of Havertz - if Tuchel continues to play him as a false 9 and wants to pursue players to fit that system, then maybe Sancho makes some sense especially if others leave - Ziyech perhaps? That would leave us with Havertz, Werner, and probably Mount as potential options as the 9 in attack - not terrible all things considered.

Also would say it's worth considering the last time the club viewed a talent as too good to pass up without considering squad fit - that'd be Havertz. Certainly there are legitimate reasons why he's struggled (e.g. severe case of COVID he took a while to recover from, 21 year old moving abroad and unable to see his family and donkeys for months on end, adjustment to the pace of the PL, etc.), but I think it's fair to say he hasn't hit the ground running. Some of these considerations might not apply to Sancho given his roots in England but might give Chelsea pause.
Even with havertz as a 9 (still need a striker with giroud and tammy going) mount has to play
The lw has timo and puli
Where does sancho fit

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Had to google that, that's just too cute :lol:
Yeah by all accounts he's a lovely guy - perhaps somewhat more introverted than most and it can't have been easy for him. It's actually been notable that his form has picked up since getting a puppy in London!

Even with havertz as a 9 (still need a striker with giroud and tammy going) mount has to play
The lw has timo and puli
Where does sancho fit
Yeah Mount 100% has to be in the team. Guess a lot depends on whether Tuchel sticks with 3-4-3 next year - he's heavily implied that he's using this system to get the most out of the squad, but it's unclear whether he'd go with it if he had his druthers in the transfer market.

I think we're on the same page though - don't think Sancho should be the priority but if the team wants to build an ultra-fluid attack with 3 players interchanging and moving all over the place in lieu of a traditional striker, we could do far worse than signing him. Agreed though that it only becomes realistic if we sell before buying.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The lw has timo and puli
Where does sancho fit
Sancho to Chelsea makes no sense unless Chelsea are having a clear out at AM. I just don't see how it works without selling Ziyech and Hudson-Odoi.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Sancho to Chelsea makes no sense unless Chelsea are having a clear out at AM. I just don't see how it works without selling Ziyech and Hudson-Odoi.
Eh, not sure both have to go to be honest - if Ziyech leaves as has been rumoured and Sancho comes in that's 6 players for 3 attacking places (more or less, as Mount and potentially Havertz in a pinch can be played in deeper areas plus there's the added wrinkle of CHO / Pulisic at RWB).

I do agree though that we might be thin at striker and having an out and out option might be advisable.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Striker. Striker. Striker.

Then a cb then a dm

These are positions we need players

We do not need sancho.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah by all accounts he's a lovely guy - perhaps somewhat more introverted than most and it can't have been easy for him. It's actually been notable that his form has picked up since getting a puppy in London!
Certainly makes me understand some things Tuchel has indicated about Havertz and his personality (not in any kind of bad way, tbc). And while I'm usually not interested in the private life of footballers, I find it very relatable.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Certainly makes me understand some things Tuchel has indicated about Havertz and his personality (not in any kind of bad way, tbc). And while I'm usually not interested in the private life of footballers, I find it very relatable.
Yeah completely agree. Important to keep in mind that he's only 21 as well - if I'd been cut off from everything I'd ever known aged 21 it'd be a total catastrophe!

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Ffs the nerves set in the second the whistle went in that game

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Striker. Striker. Striker.

Then a cb then a dm

These are positions we need players

We do not need sancho.
I agree the priority is a lone CF. Stick Werner on the left and rotate with Pulisic. His pace completely destroys teams but we can’t wait forever and a day for his finishing touch to return.

We won’t sign a CB. We will extend Thiago’s contract for another season and look at the options next year. Stats don’t lie, our back 3 and GK are perfectly fine.

I highly doubt we will get a DM. Likeliest change to CM positions is Billy out on loan to Palace or similar quality team and Gallagher come in to take his place. One of Lofty and Barkley will be sold/loaned.

In my honest opinion I see us signing wingbacks. James being our only RWB and despite CHO doing well there I don’t think he sees that as a long term Moses deal. I’ll be surprised if Alonso and or Emerson aren’t f’d off in this next window. Both are too inconsistent.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I agree the priority is a lone CF. Stick Werner on the left and rotate with Pulisic. His pace completely destroys teams but we can’t wait forever and a day for his finishing touch to return.

We won’t sign a CB. We will extend Thiago’s contract for another season and look at the options next year. Stats don’t lie, our back 3 and GK are perfectly fine.

I highly doubt we will get a DM. Likeliest change to CM positions is Billy out on loan to Palace or similar quality team and Gallagher come in to take his place. One of Lofty and Barkley will be sold/loaned.

In my honest opinion I see us signing wingbacks. James being our only RWB and despite CHO doing well there I don’t think he sees that as a long term Moses deal. I’ll be surprised if Alonso and or Emerson aren’t f’d off in this next window. Both are too inconsistent.
The links to Hakimi make a lot of sense if you ask me. Can play either wingback role and would offer an intriguing attacking option that doesn't necessarily sacrifice all defensive structure (as using the likes of CHO & Pulisic often do). Still think we need another CM option - I'd prefer to send Gilmour on loan to get minutes and bring someone in Tuchel trusts to have 2 genuine options at both positions. Tchouameni would be an intriguing option to offer an additional physical dimension to the midfield.