Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think you’ll win the title but good luck to you.
I predicted United to win the title before the season, so I'm certainly not here arguing we're certainties to win it. I was just responding to a particular point you made. But yeah okay, thanks.

Last edited:

cyberman

Think you've won 1 in 6 in the league at The Emirates, that might be called a bit of a slog for you as well.

You then go onto say

Is that not what we are just now? ;)
Oh I understand l we have bogey teams but I’d like to think our firepower now solves a lot of those issues. The start of the season kind of shows we are. An easy run last year sees us drop points at home to teams we should beat and get frustrating draws against sides who sit deep. The fact we are top scorers in the league after our run could be a fantastic indication of what’s to come.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Oh I understand l we have bogey teams but I’d like to think our firepower now solves a lot of those issues. The start of the season kind of shows we are. An easy run last year sees us drop points at home to teams we should beat and get frustrating draws against sides who sit deep. The fact we are top scorers in the league after our run could be a fantastic indication of what’s to come.
I'd say the worrying thing for United is you've already dropped points at Southampton (although to be fair City just did too) and came very close to doing the same at West Ham. Those are games that on paper you'd expect to be safely taking 3 points from if you want the title. Even though City have had an even worse start, we know what they're capable of, whereas with United its more of a question mark. Obviously the sample size is so small that it doesn't mean you won't challenge this year, but it must be concerning. Then again you have a number of new players, so its natural that they take time to settle. Honestly though I'm more worried by Liverpool and City than United at this point, even though that could of course change dramatically over the next month or two.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Lets look at the equivalent games last season.

Man Utd 6-2 Leeds
Southampton 2-3 Man Utd
Wolves 1-2 Man Utd
Man Utd 3-1 Newcastle
West Ham 1-3 Man Utd

So from that your 2 points worse off, 4 goals worse off but 3 goals less conceded.

So not sure what your opening games tell you over last season to be honest.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Lets look at the equivalent games last season.

Man Utd 6-2 Leeds
Southampton 2-3 Man Utd
Wolves 1-2 Man Utd
Man Utd 3-1 Newcastle
West Ham 1-3 Man Utd

So from that your 2 points worse off, 4 goals worse off but 3 goals less conceded.

So not sure what your opening games tell you over last season to be honest.
Think people just want to se how many points better off they were than last season and then create inferences over the information as to whether they have gotten better or worse. When in reality it’s almost entirely meaningless as the opposition has usually gotten better or worse too and it’s not accounted for. The only real exception being Burnley, who haven’t really altered their team much in 2/3 years.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Except it absolutely wouldn't have been a fair result?
That's why XG isn't always a fair way of analyzing a game. Doesn't include two blatant penalties United should've had. It's better for the Spurs Chelsea game and analyzing that.

Haaland The Terminator

Supports
Chesterfield FC
They are nothing special to be honest..

Lukaku hardly scores against the Big 6 so that can cost them plus their defence has gotten weaker due to selling Zouma to West Ham so any problems back there will cost them

Also on paper, I feel that Manchester United's team is the strongest in the Premier League by a country mile!

Guy Incognito

The best team in the league at the moment. They have control, reflected by their manager who is a control freak. They are very good in every position too and have strength in depth in every department except the striker position. Their real test will not be in these games, they are by far the best team in big games, but rather against lesser opponents where they might have to find keys to unlock tight defenses.
I don't fear them as much as Mourinho's first Chelsea side, but they've made an assured start.

They'll have a blip at some point so it'll be interesting to see what Tuchel does and if the challengers will take advantage.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People asking what will be the think that might set Tuchel's mood off.

I wonder if Rudiger to Bayern has any depth and if that maybe something that starts to turn something very good to a bit foul over time.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
People asking what will be the think that might set Tuchel's mood off.

I wonder if Rudiger to Bayern has any depth and if that maybe something that starts to turn something very good to a bit foul over time.
May be or may be not. If Chelsea failed to back him up after rudiger move away then probably but kounde and de ligt were linked with us. So he doesn't need to think he left alone if rudiger moves.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Somewhat ironic at a club with Jewish ownership you'd think?

Bit of logical inconsistency going on there. Not sure how this person could actually be a real Chelsea fan.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Somewhat ironic at a club with Jewish ownership you'd think?

Bit of logical inconsistency going on there. Not sure how this person could actually be a real Chelsea fan.
I mean that has to be a photoshopped image or some kind of prank/lost bet.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness you were probably due one against Pep after embarrassing him in the last few games.

What went wrong btw? didn't see the match.
City were fantastic. They pressed us into oblivion and easily bypassed whatever press we could muster. We couldn't get going at all. They pretty much played us off the park.

tomaldinho1

City were fantastic. They pressed us into oblivion and easily bypassed whatever press we could muster. We couldn't get going at all. They pretty much played us off the park.
Reminiscent of those Pool/City games a couple of seasons back which were essentially a 90min fitness test of intensity.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Tuchel is human after all.

Good weekend so far for the scousers unfortunately.

Title race is wide open still even if I can't see United being a serious contender.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness you were probably due one against Pep after embarrassing him in the last few games.

What went wrong btw? didn't see the match.
Biggest thing was Pep pulled a surprise by playing Foden as a false 9 who dropped onto Jorginho whenever City were off the ball - this left them 3v2 everywhere else in midfield, so we had to go for long balls as they could press us into oblivion. Other issue was that us playing a 3-5-2 meant that their fullbacks had time and space - Walker wasn't a problem, but Cancelo very much was. Although both our strikers were isolated 1v1, neither could do much. Lukaku was reasonable in terms of hold up play but Timo was awful - though the latter did create space with a couple runs in behind.

Personally I thought Chelsea should have gone back to 3-4-3 sooner - we certainly looked better once Havertz was on, but at the same time City were content to sit back and hit us on the counter (and to be fair were closer to making it 2-0 than we were to drawing level).

Mount not being fit was a killer. Neither Lukaku nor Timo were effective when dropping into midfield to link defense and attack and that's Mount's bread and butter (and again, Havertz did a reasonable facsimile of this once he was on, but for me he's better further forward).

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Biggest thing was Pep pulled a surprise by playing Foden as a false 9 who dropped onto Jorginho whenever City were off the ball - this left them 3v2 everywhere else in midfield, so we had to go for long balls as they could press us into oblivion. Other issue was that us playing a 3-5-2 meant that their fullbacks had time and space - Walker wasn't a problem, but Cancelo very much was. Although both our strikers were isolated 1v1, neither could do much. Lukaku was reasonable in terms of hold up play but Timo was awful - though the latter did create space with a couple runs in behind.

Personally I thought Chelsea should have gone back to 3-4-3 sooner - we certainly looked better once Havertz was on, but at the same time City were content to sit back and hit us on the counter (and to be fair were closer to making it 2-0 than we were to drawing level).

Mount not being fit was a killer. Neither Lukaku nor Timo were effective when dropping into midfield to link defense and attack and that's Mount's bread and butter (and again, Havertz did a reasonable facsimile of this once he was on, but for me he's better further forward).
Just watched the game. Pretty much. Pressed into oblivion and without Mount to link up the midfield gave all control of the game to City.

Saw everyone here complaining about Mount for England, but he is after Kante probably most important player for Chelsea.

Still, that was really bad. Looked like Mourinho is in charge at times.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Just watched the game. Pretty much. Pressed into oblivion and without Mount to link up the midfield gave all control of the game to City.

Saw everyone here complaining about Mount for England, but he is after Kante probably most important player for Chelsea.

Still, that was really bad. Looked like Mourinho is in charge at times.
Agreed. Thought we should have made a change at halftime, but at the same time Tuchel might have been hesitant since City hadn't had a shot on target at that point and we were already down a sub due to Reece's injury.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Good thing though that RLC looked ready. He may start against Juventus (considering Kante and Jorginho are not fully fit).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good thing though that RLC looked ready. He may start against Juventus (considering Kante and Jorginho are not fully fit).
I thought he was finished but he's looked good in the last 2 games. Kovacic aside, nobody in the team can carry the ball like Loftus-Cheek.

Crashoutcassius

Fairly embarrassing performance

Prob the most efficient team in the league, but didn't look it yest for whatever reason. When they don't win they don't look like they have many redeeming qualities to me, so boring

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
My prediction is still that whoever finishes above the other between us and city, wins the league

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
N’Golo Kante has COVID and Mason Mount, Reece James and Christian Pulisic are all injured and unavailable for Juventus ( Nizaar Kinsella via live press conference )

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Our conceding only 4 goals in the entire CL campaign last year is really understated. Some teams have conceded more already this campaign

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Our conceding only 4 goals in the entire CL campaign last year is really understated. Some teams have conceded more already this campaign
Ach, we done it in 2006 with a defence mostly made up of Eboue, Toure, Senderos & Flamini. :D

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is now a poor manager and the wheels have come off

Status
Not open for further replies.