Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If he's out of favor who plays against us at LWB on Saturday?

That doesn't even look that bad. Not the best pass but he tried to get back.
That the supposed bust up began with that play is just speculative shit to be honest.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Tuchel falling out with players, that sounds familiar. Maybe now worth putting a punt on Poch being at Chelsea this time next year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel falling out with players, that sounds familiar. Maybe now worth putting a punt on Poch being at Chelsea this time next year.
Knew someone would say this. Worth remembering Alonso fell out with Lampard too.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Knew someone would say this. Worth remembering Alonso fell out with Lampard too.
Exactly look what happened to him. Alonso seems to be a powerful presence in that dressing room, but I am also really intrigued at Pochetinos next move assuming Conte stays at Spurs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly look what happened to him. Alonso seems to be a powerful presence in that dressing room, but I am also really intrigued at Pochetinos next move assuming Conte stays at Spurs.
He's also on his way out of the club. Barca are chasing him for some reason. I don't know if these stories of a bust up is true, but if they are then it says more about Alonso than Tuchel.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Think Alonso is on his way out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Probably a season to forget for Chelsea. Beaten in two cup finals, scraping to third, arguably their best player in Rudiger joining Madrid and the chaos with Abramovich. Add to that the £100m flop and disruptive Lukaku.

Not what was expected in Tuchel’s second season I imagine.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Probably a season to forget for Chelsea. Beaten in two cup finals, scraping to third, arguably their best player in Rudiger joining Madrid and the chaos with Abramovich. Add to that the £100m flop and disruptive Lukaku.

That's not really how I look at it to be honest. Getting to 2 domestic finals and finishing 3rd whilst going out in a blaze fighting until the bitter end in Europe despite the off the pitch turmoil is a really good season for me. Ultimately trophyless and that's a shame but context is important and when you factor that in, it's been a pretty decent season overall. We had something to play for all the way to the middle of May is a sign of a good season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

All fair points. But honestly Tuchel's stock has gone up in my opinion. Don't think there are too many managers out there who could have navigated the turmoil as well as he did - it's hugely reassuring to see him continually stress his commitment to the club. As far as I'm concerned he's the biggest asset we have - maaaaybe apart from James or Mount I'd sooner lose any player from our squad before Tuchel.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
All fair points. But honestly Tuchel's stock has gone up in my opinion. Don't think there are too many managers out there who could have navigated the turmoil as well as he did - it's hugely reassuring to see him continually stress his commitment to the club. As far as I'm concerned he's the biggest asset we have - maaaaybe apart from James or Mount I'd sooner lose any player from our squad before Tuchel.
Yeah Tuchel has come out of this season smelling of roses and I feel emotionally attached to him as a fan more than any other Chelsea manager in my lifetime, aside from Mourinho 1.0.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Can we transfer Sam Kerr over to the men's team please. What a legend.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's not really how I look at it to be honest. Getting to 2 domestic finals and finishing 3rd whilst going out in a blaze fighting until the bitter end in Europe despite the off the pitch turmoil is a really good season for me. Ultimately trophyless and that's a shame but context is important and when you factor that in, it's been a pretty decent season overall. We had something to play for all the way to the middle of May is a sign of a good season.
Disagree I’m afraid. Compared to last season it’s been a disappointment and huge underachievement. The turmoil hasn’t been season long and shouldn’t really be an excuse.

Oh I like Tuchel and don’t think you could do better. Despite him making some odd decisions in the cup final which I couldn’t fathom he’s a good coach.

As above though do think it’s a below par season when you consider how you finished the last and the money spent in the summer.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Disagree I’m afraid. Compared to last season it’s been a disappointment and huge underachievement. The turmoil hasn’t been season long and shouldn’t really be an excuse.
fathom he’s a good coach.
This is an exaggeration. Had this been a normal season we would perhaps feel disappointed but some of us are not entitled. We made cup finals whilst going through the biggest problem any of the 20 teams has faced this season. I feel disappointed for the players themselves but for the club I feel proud of what they have accomplished.

They can relax and come back stronger next year with any luck.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Oh I like Tuchel and don’t think you could do better. Despite him making some odd decisions in the cup final which I couldn’t fathom he’s a good coach.

As above though do think it’s a below par season when you consider how you finished the last and the money spent in the summer.
That's fair enough. I have no problems with that take. I just disagree with it. When winning or not winning the domestic cup finals came down to penalties, and in one of them only losing because your keeper missed his penalty, I'm happy enough with this season and how we've performed the majority of the season. I see it as a good season and chalking it up to being super unlucky in very critical moments.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Yep think that's fair. Certainly the only counter argument is the massive turmoil off the pitch and injury problems - and although I'm biased I think it's a fair justification given how unprecedented the ownership situation was (if not necessarily our injury list).

Apparently his hands were tied in the cup final by the way - Havertz and Werner were both unavailable (the latter got injured in the warmup), and RLC's penalty record is extremely poor whilst Barkley's is at least passable. I was fuming that Werner wasn't coming on against a leggy Liverpool defense but as he'd done his hamstring in the warmup I can't blame Tuchel for anything he did - looking at our bench his hands were completely tied.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is funny how badly @TheReligion wants this to be a bad season for us. Chelsea fans understand it is a transition season. New owners coming on. We will have Champions League with the new owners. Young players that are getting better. I don’t know any Chelsea fans that feel the season is a bust. There are many frustrated, but considering all the club has gone through, resilient season is more like it.

cyberman

It is funny how badly @TheReligion wants this to be a bad season for us. Chelsea fans understand it is a transition season. New owners coming on. We will have Champions League with the new owners. Young players that are getting better. I don’t know any Chelsea fans that feel the season is a bust. There are many frustrated, but considering all the club has gone through, resilient season is more like it.
It wasnt considered a transition season at the start of August? You're retconning your season here a bit

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Ruined all the good work they did in Porto last May by allowing Liverpool two cups :rolleyes:
Not really sure losing 2 penalty shootouts was gifting trophies but sure. Liverpool have had a very good season and have worked hard enough to deserve their trophies. Hopefully next year we can go one better and win.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea

Got to two finals and most likely got third and Champions league next season. Not bad at all, a lot of big teams would be quite pleased with that
I know you aren't pleased with our season but we are.. :0)

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It wasnt considered a transition season at the start of August? You're retconning your season here a bit
We were a third place team that won the CL and trying to find our way to be better. Bad buy with Rom that I doubt Tuchel wanted. Lost our two starting WBs and a lot of injuries along the way. Then the sale hits with Roman and the sanctions stop money flow. That is a resilient season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Took me a couple of seconds to realise this was Ramires :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It wasn't long ago you were trying to tell us you were better in almost every position (even RB!) so on that basis we'd be overachieving!

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The biggest mistake we could have made would be not to back Tuchel. Back him and he will bring more success IMO, this squad only features one permanent signing of his...

Thankfully he will be. I'd be all over Dybala for free, too.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t want it to but it factually has been a poor season. Dress it up how you want and make excuses. You’ve regressed despite the mega money spent in the summer. There’s also a big job to do in replacing Rudiger in the summer.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Christensen withdrew himself from the squad yesterday despite being in line to start. Werner also ruled himself out with an injury.

I still don’t understand the RLS subbing on then coming off again thing. Any Chelsea fans here know what that was about?

TheReligion

Abusive
i don’t get some of them. Roman leaving is now the reason they’ve struggled all season yet the war in Ukraine only started in March so I’m not quite sure with the maths on that one.

Just accept its an under par season and move on.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yep think that's fair. Certainly the only counter argument is the massive turmoil off the pitch and injury problems - and although I'm biased I think it's a fair justification given how unprecedented the ownership situation was (if not necessarily our injury list).

Apparently his hands were tied in the cup final by the way - Havertz and Werner were both unavailable (the latter got injured in the warmup), and RLC's penalty record is extremely poor whilst Barkley's is at least passable. I was fuming that Werner wasn't coming on against a leggy Liverpool defense but as he'd done his hamstring in the warmup I can't blame Tuchel for anything he did - looking at our bench his hands were completely tied.
Didn’t realise that about Werner. Do you think he didn’t fancy it? Just seems crazy you had no forwards given the money that’s been spent. The whole Lukaku thing has been a disaster really.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently Christensen withdrew himself from the squad yesterday despite being in line to start. Werner also ruled himself out with an injury.

I still don’t understand the RLS subbing on then coming off again thing. Any Chelsea fans here know what that was about?
Barkley is a crap player but a good penalty takers and RLC the opposite I would guess? :D

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I don’t think it’s been a particularly good season, and the problems off the field wouldn’t have had a lot of impact on it. There were some dramatic stories, but clubs go through changes in their business all the time. The players routines were mostly unaffected.

They have now lost their best CB, another one in Cristensen, Silva and Azpi are another year older and there are injury questions around others on their back line.

Jorginho and Kante have both started their downward trajectory and neither were close to where they were last year.

Werner and Lukaku have flopped and players like Pulisic and Ziyech haven’t pushed on enough to produce consistently.

I think Tuchel is a great manager (despite the doubt about his capabilities to consistently beat the smaller teams in the league), but Chelsea have a lot to do this summer.

Obviously they won’t be as bad as us, but I would be concerned about so many issues as a supporter.

There Is a lot to sort out before you even begin sifting though the deadwood.

I will be interested to see how many they let go and if they can resolve their problem positions in one summer.

TheRedHearted

Didn’t realise that about Werner. Do you think he didn’t fancy it? Just seems crazy you had no forwards given the money that’s been spent. The whole Lukaku thing has been a disaster really.
With Mount still on I’d fancy him as a false 9 with Ziyech coming in. It was too stubborn from Tuchel, Chelsea had the lesser of chances are the full time. 7 less shots and nothing from Lukaku

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think it’s been a particularly good season, and the problems off the field wouldn’t have had a lot of impact on it. There were some dramatic stories, but clubs go through changes in their business all the time. The players routines were mostly unaffected.

They have now lost their best CB, another one in Cristensen, Silva and Azpi are another year older and there are injury questions around others on their back line.

Jorginho and Kante have both started their downward trajectory and neither were close to where they were last year.

Werner and Lukaku have flopped and players like Pulisic and Ziyech haven’t pushed on enough to produce consistently.

I think Tuchel is a great manager (despite the doubt about his capabilities to consistently beat the smaller teams in the league), but Chelsea have a lot to do this summer.

Obviously they won’t be as bad as us, but I would be concerned about so many issues as a supporter.

There Is a lot to sort out before you even begin sifting though the deadwood.

I will be interested to see how many they let go and if they can resolve their problem positions in one summer.
Same, has to be 6 or 7 at least ideally. Barkley, Rudi, christensen, Azpi, Jorginho, RLC, CHO, Kenedy, Alonso, Werner and Pulisic if big money offered. That'd my "sale" list. Although Werner i like so id be prepared to let him stay, i think he offers something. But anything over 35-40 and id sell Pulisic.

Gilmour back out on loan along with Ampadu, good players but not quite the right level. Gallagher and Broja return. But i suspect a deal might be done for Broja tbh. But no way id sell Gallagher,
Then of course the likes of Drinkwater,, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Baba Rahman etc all go.

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Werner was injured along with Havertz and i dont think he was actually intended to be on the bench, but had to be put there as Christensen ruled himself out. Had he played, Werner wouldnt have made the squad either. That seems to be TT's explanation

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Same, has to be 6 or 7 at least ideally. Barkley, Rudi, christensen, Azpi, Jorginho, RLC, CHO, Kenedy, Alonso, Werner and Pulisic if big money offered. That'd my "sale" list. Although Werner i like so id be prepared to let him stay, i think he offers something. But anything over 35-40 and id sell Pulisic.

Gilmour back out on loan along with Ampadu, good players but not quite the right level. Gallagher and Broja return. But i suspect a deal might be done for Broja tbh. But no way id sell Gallagher,
Then of course the likes of Drinkwater,, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Baba Rahman etc all go.
Its a lot isn’t it?

Really need at least one CB, another option at RWB, as well as LWB if Alonso goes. Another midfielder and a top class attacking talent that can make the difference in big games and be a nailed on first choice. Two many “good” attackers without a real stand out option.

It’s a lot. Midfield revamp will probably have to wait this summer.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Its a lot isn’t it?

Really need at least one CB, another option at RWB, as well as LWB if Alonso goes. Another midfielder and a top class attacking talent that can make the difference in big games and be a nailed on first choice. Two many “good” attackers without a real stand out option.

It is a lot, but IMO they all should be available at the right price. Azpi id be gutted to see go but i think one last payday in Spain with Barca will appeal to him.

According to one of Chelsea's journos TT wants 2 CB, cover at WB, another attacker and i think a winger or it may have been another CM.

I think Kounde will be one of the first in, just feels inevitable that deal does.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Its a lot isn’t it?

With Gallagher returning, I think the club could decide to push refreshing that area back to 2023. I could see us getting a new midfielder if we got a decent fee for Jorginho. But yeah, priority is clearly the CB situation.

If we lean on the academy, it could really help us spread the funds around the different areas. Colwill and Ampadu, for example, could save us £60m that could go towards Tchouameni? Or Nkunku?

Status
Not open for further replies.