Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Oh wow. How much it do we reckon is chelsea being a poisoned chalice in one of their customary holiday seasons and how much Potter being wholly out of his depth?
That's the million dollar question I suppose. A lot of the things said about Potter are the same things that was said about Arteta, and I was 1 for backing Arteta and giving him time so I'd be a hypocrite if I thought Chelsea should ditch Potter so soon, and he actually has a body of work to fall back on unlike Arteta.

Only thing I would say is I certainly don't think Chelsea's transfer policy has helped him short term at least. It remain to be seen if it will long term, or if he'll even be there to reap any benefits.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Some good news at least.

Depends on the circumstances tbh.

Short deal at "reasonable" wages and its excellent news but a long one with him being a big earner is very risky as his style of player is vulnerable to a big decline post injuries/losing athletic qualities.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure about that. £290k/w currently with the recent injury history he has...

Missed games:

2019/20: 27
2020/21: 7
2021/22: 16
2022/23: 31 (so far)
You say that but he still played 42 games last season and 48 games the season before that. If he can give us around 40 games next season, that's great news. The obvious caveat being we don't know if he's capable of reaching his previous levels but I'm willing to bet on him. He needs to be load managed though.

Short deal at "reasonable" wages and its excellent news but a long one with him being a big earner is very risky as his style of player is vulnerable to a big decline post injuries/losing athletic qualities.
I doubt he's taking a wage cut so it will most likely be an extension on his current wages, which I'm totally happy with. I wouldn't give him a 4-5 year deal but 2 + 1 deal is fine by me.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You say that but he still played 42 games last season and 48 games the season before that. If he can give us around 40 games next season, that's great news. The obvious caveat being we don't know if he's capable of reaching his previous levels but I'm willing to bet on him. He needs to be load managed though.

I doubt he's taking a wage cut so it will most likely be an extension on his current wages, which I'm totally happy with. I wouldn't give him a 4-5 year deal but 2 + 1 deal is fine by me.
Possibly but I've still got PTSD from Essien's decline :lol:

If he can still give us a good level then him and Enzo together would almost be too good to be true.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Possibly but I've still got PTSD from Essien's decline :lol:

If he can still give us a good level then him and Enzo together would almost be too good to be true.
I hear you, but in fairness Essien's injury was horribly mismanaged.

Yep I want to see Enzo and Kante play together.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is there any FA probe into Mudryk’s singing of the n-word? Just wondering considering Cavani’s ban… They seemed very adamant to clamp down on all things that might be racist and/or offensive back then.
The FA started "investigating" Cavani on 30/11/2020. They announced his ban on 31/12/2020.

The FA started "investigating" Mudryk on 31/01/23 so they've got another 10 days I guess.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Without European football it's doubtful we'll even have many more than 40 games next season overall. :lol:

But yeah, ideally I would want to see how Kante does after his current long term injury before making any decision on his contract. If he still looks really good, an extension would be a no-brainer and his game load just has to be managed better and save him for the games where he's really needed. But it's also very much possible a decline has set in and if we lock him on a new contract now without even seeing him back there's a potential disaster in the making.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Kante staying but it's not without risks.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If we keep winning the xG every game we'll probably actually score and win a game, eventually!? Europa league is still possible anyway...

We could do with that and cup runs next year to give minutes to our insanely bloated squad...

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Some good news at least.

As much as I love him I have to disagree. Especially with a large squad in need of trimming.. this is probably a bad move by the club. N’Golo needs to go to a less intense club or end up crippling himself in later life.

Suedesi

Jan 1: Forest 1-1 Chelsea
Jan 5: Chelsea 0-1 City
Jan 8: City 4-0 Chelsea
Jan 12: Fulham 2-1 Chelsea
Jan 15: Chelsea 1:0 Palace
Jan 21: Scouse 0:0 Chelsea
Feb 3: Chelsea 0:0 Fulham
Feb 11: West Ham 1:1 Chelsea
Feb 15: Dortmund 1:0 Chelsea
Feb 18 Chelsea 0:1 So'ton

Total goals: 4

Feb 21: Scouse 2-5 Madrid

Goals 5!

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
This can’t be right, is it? :lol:
It’s true. We have scored 4 in 10 this year.

jan
1-1 forest (a) 1st
0-1 City (h) 5th
4-0 city (a) 8th
2-1 Fulham (a) 12th
1-0 palace (h) 15th
0-0 Liverpool (a) 21st
feb
0-0 Fulham (h) 3rd
1-1 west ham (a) 11th
1-0 Dortmund (a) 15th
0-1 Soton (h) 18th

Madrid score 5 in 1 game.

Suedesi

It’s true. We have scored 3 in 10 this year.

jan
1-1 forest (a) 1st
0-1 City (h) 5th
4-0 city (a) 8th
2-1 Fulham (a) 12th
1-0 palace (h) 15th
0-0 Liverpool (a) 21st
feb
0-0 Fulham (h) 3rd
1-1 west ham (a) 11th
1-0 Dortmund (a) 15th
0-1 Soton (h) 18th

You've scored 4, but yeah still less than Madrid

iKnowNothing

It’s true. We have scored 4 in 10 this year.

jan
1-1 forest (a) 1st
0-1 City (h) 5th
4-0 city (a) 8th
2-1 Fulham (a) 12th
1-0 palace (h) 15th
0-0 Liverpool (a) 21st
feb
0-0 Fulham (h) 3rd
1-1 west ham (a) 11th
1-0 Dortmund (a) 15th
0-1 Soton (h) 18th

That’s.. horrible!

Drifter

American
Says he has received death threats, which his totally wrong, but it does look like his appointment was a knee-jerk reaction.

CookieMonster

Supports
FC Bayern München
Could Chelsea bring back Thomas Tuchel? He should be able to do better than 4 goals in 2 months :wenger:

Jericho

I feel a little conflicted about the situation at Chelsea. I wanted to see their problems compounded with more losses, but I actually like Graham Potter. I don't how good he can be at a big club but there's no doubt he's a better manager than what we're seeing now. There's way too much craziness going on at Chelsea for him to really implement what his style, he needed a preseason an a settled squad.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Could Chelsea bring back Thomas Tuchel? He should be able to do better than 4 goals in 2 months :wenger:
Our clubs goal of the month competition nominees for February as follows:

Felix vs west ham

applause

As for Tuchel, hell no.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
he'll be safe regardless of todays result
How long does it go on for though? There is no sign of progress or even coherent football. It’s a mess.

Obviously they have accepted that this season is now a write-off, but are the board also willing to start next season this badly?

He has shown that adding better footballers doesn’t make any difference. A striker isn’t sorting this out. You need someone more controlling who will take command and organize the squad before doing anything else.

Potter is meek and didn’t have the authority, and now doesn’t have any credit with the board or the players either.

There is no way back from this.

Valencia Shin Crosses

His issue is nothing looks remotely progressive for them. You can't really point to anything he's done so far as even average, and as a coach that built his name on being a mastermind in setting teams up and playing good football that's a bad sign.

Like fecking hell, you can't just NEVER win or score goals. At least scrap some results together like we had to do at the beginning of the year while slowly building your system out.

Vapor trail

Amazing how quiet the place is in contrast to January.

The reality is that Chelsea need to see this period through. You sack the manager, who comes in and establishes this as a team ? It's a transition like no other in top competitive football for a manager to come in with no spine (even if it's bad) and rearrange making things fit. Potter is having to figure the team out while the players themselves need to adjust to the league and the playing environment. You can't play pre season in the premier league too many tactically sound teams with their own philosophies to award the time. There's too many moving parts.

The team needs to settle over the summer when the season has ended. Sign a few smaller priority players and then work on making incremental improvements in performances over time. I said and will keep saying that for Potter it's a 36 month project. He's a good coach so you cannot discredit his credentials to shape a team. The blame lies solely on the strategy of Todd Boehly, seemingly had the right intentions (long term manager, youth approach) but the wrong execution.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

The reality is that Chelsea need to see this period through. You sack the manager, who comes in and establishes this as a team ? It's a transition like no other in top competitive football for a manager to come in with no spine (even if it's bad) and rearrange making things fit. Potter is having to figure the team out while the players themselves need to adjust to the league and the playing environment. You can't play pre season in the premier league too many tactically sound teams with their own philosophies to award the time. There's too many moving parts.

The team needs to settle over the summer when the season has ended. Sign a few smaller priority players and then work on making incremental improvements in performances over time. I said and will keep saying that for Potter it's a 36 month project. He's a good coach so you cannot discredit his credentials to shape a team. The blame lies solely on the strategy of Todd Boehly, seemingly had the right intentions (long term manager, youth approach) but the wrong execution.
You can have stability while changing managers. The trick is to go after managers roughly with the same/similar style of play.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Not sure what Boehly had to do with Potter deciding that Ziyech needs an uptick in minutes after he was literally begging to leave the club in January? Or that when we're 1-0 down the subs should be Mount and Zakaria? Or that the team should deprioritise risk-taking in possession to the extent that we had 2 shots on target against a Spurs team that just conceded 4 goals to Leicester?

Multiple things can be true at the same time - Boehly's transfer strategy can be suboptimal and Potter can be completely out of his depth (plus these two things can compound each other). The team very obviously needs a no bullshit manager like Luis Enrique - who had the cojones to stand up to and tell off Messi when he was at his absolute apex.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I dont think any money Kante will make in a new contract can reach the threshold of "risky" considering the current owners are spending club money like drunken sailors at a "All Brothel services 50% off" after 50 months at sea.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Genuinely think dropping Havertz solves a lot of problems up front, he's fecking awful.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Genuinely think dropping Havertz solves a lot of problems up front, he's fecking awful.
The question is, for who? Auba is even worse and David Fofana is a talented prospects who 100% needs a loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.