Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, understand that. Take it the plans that Abramovich got drawn up for the redevelopment will be totally shelved and it will be a full new Clearlake design?
They have hired a team to design the stadium. I doubt they would use Roman's design. They have to start the entire permitting process over.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, understand that. Take it the plans that Abramovich got drawn up for the redevelopment will be totally shelved and it will be a full new Clearlake design?
Most likely, yeah. Which is a shame because the brick design looked really elegant and unique IMO.

Most modern stadiums are ugly as feck and all look the same.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

I didn't think this reporting year would be the problem, but how will next season stack up losses wise after spending £600M and having a bloated wage bill with a squad of 39 players, or the following season with more spend and no Champions League would be my worry.

Abraxas

I don't think they'll have a problem next year either. I think this is exactly why they're positioning some of the academy contingent for a sale, chief among them being Mount who is probably likely to attract a fair old fee. There was pretty clearly method to what Boehly was doing even if it was unorthodox.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think they'll have a problem next year either. I think this is exactly why they're positioning some of the academy contingent for a sale, chief among them being Mount who is probably likely to attract a fair old fee. There was pretty clearly method to what Boehly was doing even if it was unorthodox.
Fair point. I suppose selling just Mount and someone like Colwill could fetch them £100m or somewhere close to it just for those 2 alone. I keep forgetting selling academy players are just pure profit in terms of accounts for that year, whereas that can translate to 10 signings at £10m a year 'on the books', which the book asset of the player depreciating each season.

Last edited:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Fair point. I suppose selling just Mount and someone like Colwill could fetch them £100m or somewhere close to it just for those 2 alone. I keep forgetting selling academy players are just pure profit in terms of accounts for that year, whereas that can translate to 10 signings at £10m a year 'on the books', which the book asset of the player depreciating each season.
Don't think Colwill is likely to be sold but Mount leaving looks like an increasing possibility and he would definitely attract a decent fee. There are also Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Gallagher and Chalobah some of whom the club could look to sell as well. Ian Maatsen, a 21yo left-back, is another one who's been playing really well out on loan at Burnley this season and should easily fetch another £10M+ if the club want to sell him.

And it's not only the academy grown players whose sales can bring a big profit on the accounts. For example if someone like Kovacic were to be sold he'd probably go for a minimum of £35M, maybe more, and his remaining book value in the summer is only £8M so anything above that figure is 'profit' on the books. And in cases like Pulisic, Ziyech etc. just writing off their costs with a sale would make a big difference even if no 'book profit' was made from the moves.

A few sales in the summer could definitely cover for the loss of next season's UCL revenue and also decrease both the amortisation and salary costs going forward. One thing's for sure is that we can't really afford to miss out on the UCL footy multiple seasons in a row or we'll have to start selling off some hugely important players we'd rather keep.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Meme material I’m sure plenty of people will get a lot of mileage out of :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t actually think those two specifically will be allowed to leave but yeah RLC, CHO and Gallagher could be the main guys from the academy group to be on the market. Maatsen too which would sadden me but I knew the day would come the moment we signed Cucurella.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t actually think those two specifically will be allowed to leave but yeah RLC, CHO and Gallagher could be the main guys from the academy group to be on the market. Maatsen too which would sadden me but I knew the day would come the moment we signed Cucurella.
I'd wager Mount is quite clearly off this summer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It seem like it’s edging towards that but my gut feeling is the contract situation will get resolved in the end.
I'm a bit torn over it to be honest, won't be particularly nice to see him leave but I also fear he's on the Oscar/Dele Alli trajectory of peaking out early.

The most annoying thing about it is it will give more fuel to the fire of the people who pretend he's always been at the level he's been showing of late which couldn't be further from the truth.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm a bit torn over it to be honest, won't be particularly nice to see him leave but I also fear he's on the Oscar/Dele Alli trajectory of peaking out early.

The most annoying thing about it is it will give more fuel to the fire of the people who pretend he's always been at the level he's been showing of late which couldn't be further from the truth.
He’s been run into the ground. I think he has played the equivalent of an extra full season of games the last 2 years compared to, for example Saka and Odegaard.

I think it would be an utter disaster to let him leave. I could stomach it on some level if he went to Bayern to team up with Tuchel but his other options are Liverpool and United, both of whom seem very interested.

mu4c_20le

Can't see that happening, he has a better attitude than those. IMO he's experiencing something similar to our Bruno, his position and duties have changed so his numbers go down. Plus the turmoil of a new owner and entirely new team. If Potter actually values him and continues to utilize him I think he'll come good again.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He’s been run into the ground. I think he has played the equivalent of an extra full season of games the last 2 years compared to, for example Saka and Odegaard.

I think it would be an utter disaster to let him leave. I could stomach it on some level if he went to Bayern to team up with Tuchel but his other options are Liverpool and United, both of whom seem very interested.
I'll be surprised if that's the case with Saka. Saka plays nearly every week, and his done for the past couple of years. It's another of his strengths, how robust he's been. I appreciate you'll have went further in competitions so have more games though.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Saka is on a 65 game run of consecutive PL games.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'll be surprised if that's the case with Saka. Saka plays nearly every week, and his done for the past couple of years. It's another of his strengths, how robust he's been. I appreciate you'll have went further in competitions so have more games though.
Saka is on a 65 game run of consecutive PL games.
From 19/20 until the end of last season, Mount played 160 games in all comps vs 127 for Saka and 105 for Odegaard. So an 33 extra games over Saka and a whopping 55 over Odegaard during this period.

I plucked the Arsenal pair out of thin air to be fair when I was trying to compare Mount with his peers. He’s played 27 games more than Foden over the last 3 seasons. I have a feeling he’ll have many extra games over even his own teammates at Chelsea. He just never ever got rested nor injured.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
From 19/20 until the end of last season, Mount played 160 games in all comps vs 127 for Saka and 105 for Odegaard. So an 33 extra games over Saka and a whopping 55 over Odegaard during this period.

I plucked the Arsenal pair out of thin air to be fair when I was trying to compare Mount with his peers. He’s played 27 games more than Foden over the last 3 seasons. I have a feeling he’ll have many extra games over even his own teammates at Chelsea. He just never ever got rested nor injured.
Ah, going back to 19/20 season was Saka's breakthrough season, we was just 17 then. Not nitpicking though, I get your point. I worry Saka might have a bit of a burn out of his game time isn't managed more.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
From the start of 2019/20 season to the end of the 2021/22 season Mount played 190 games (13850 mins) for Chelsea and the England NT which is an insane amount of football over three calendar years, especially for a player who works as hard on the pitch as Mount does.

I dare anyone to name three outfield players in the top 5 leagues who played more games for their club and country in the same time frame? Hell, I'll take even one.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
From the start of 2019/20 season to the end of the 2021/22 season Mount played 190 games (13850 mins) for Chelsea and the England NT which is an insane amount of football over three calendar years, especially for a player who works as hard on the pitch as Mount does.

I dare anyone to name three outfield players in the top 5 leagues who played more games for their club and country in the same time frame? Hell, I'll take even one.
I'm too lazy to check but I think Bruno Fernandes will be up there. He always seems to play.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Coincidentally, what is Saka's from the beginning of 20/21 to now? (Not saying it will be near Mounts, just wondering).

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Mount has definitely been overplayed. I’m just saying that Odegaard and particularly Saka are strange players to draw comparisons to. Saka literally plays every game. The only reason Mount was playing more than him in 2019 is because Saka was still in school at the time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Coincidentally, what is Saka's from the beginning of 20/21 to now? (Not saying it will be near Mounts, just wondering).
Yeah the difference is much less, 127 Saka vs 139 for Mount. I would say you’re right to be concerned about Arteta overplaying Saka. He’s accumulating an insane amount of games over a short period too and chances are it’ll soon catch up with him.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I'm too lazy to check but I think Bruno Fernandes will be up there. He always seems to play.
186 games for him, though it seems Bruno takes over Mount in minutes played despite less games (14800 vs 13800). Good shout.

153 games for Arsenal and England from July 1st 2020 till today. Overall 11600 mins.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Mount has definitely been overplayed. I’m just saying that Odegaard and particularly Saka are strange players to draw comparisons to. Saka literally plays every game. The only reason Mount was playing more than him in 2019 is because Saka was still in school at the time.
It was Saka’s first full season to be fair. He appeared in 38 games that season. I think the extra games vs Saka specifically is literally just the extra games in Europe plus going to the final in multiple domestic cups and that CWC. Odegaard has played 55 games less over the same 3 year period. That’s literally insane.

I wasn’t trying to push any kind of negative narrative around your players. I added Foden for good measure to support the overall point.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I'm thinking someone like Salah must have played some amount of games in that period.
You would think that, given how successful Liverpool have been in that period, but Salah's only played 168 games for club and country during the time frame in question so there are probably plenty of players who've played more games than him.

Klopp has barely ever played Salah in the domestic cups and for some reason he went almost two years without any appearances for Egypt as well (2019-2021).

Suedesi

I actually quite like him.

Not because I often agree with him (I don't) but it is so refreshing to see a pundit not stick to the same old clichés and party lines.
Ditto - he's articulate and understands the business side of things

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It was Saka’s first full season to be fair. He appeared in 38 games that season. I think the extra games vs Saka specifically is literally just the extra games in Europe plus going to the final in multiple domestic cups and that CWC. Odegaard has played 55 games less over the same 3 year period. That’s literally insane.

I wasn’t trying to push any kind of negative narrative around your players. I added Foden for good measure to support the overall point.
Yeah, reading it back I think I came across pretty defensively - that's my bad. I was more bemused than anything.

What type of player is Mount. I only watch him in the big PL clashes and for England. I don't see him week to week (despite him playing what seems to be every available minute of football until this season.)

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, reading it back I think I came across pretty defensively - that's my bad. I was more bemused than anything.

What type of player is Mount. I only watch him in the big PL clashes and for England. I don't see him week to week (despite him playing what seems to be every available minute of football until this season.)
He's ideally an 8 in a 3 man midfield, but under Tuchel was most effective as an inside forward our the typical 3-4-2-1. At his best, he had license to drop deeper and get involved in build-up play - often we'd struggle when he got isolated too high up the pitch which again underlines that his best position is probably as an 8.

The way that I think about Mount is that he's pretty good at just about everything without having too many world-class standout attributes (aside from stamina and application). He's more effective than flashy overall.

For me he's struggled to fit into Potter's 3-4-2-1 for a few reasons. First, there's a lot less focus on keeping possession via short passing because Enzo's range is significantly better than Jorginho's - so the inside forwards are staying further up. That in turn means the inside forwards have to be better at retaining the ball - and Felix / Havertz are both significantly better at playing with their backs to goal than Mount is. Second, we simply lack a defensive midfield anchor who would allow us to play an effective 3 man midfield with Enzo / Mount either side - maaaaaybe Zakaria could do this in a pinch but he's had injury problems and doesn't seem to be favoured. Third and probably most significantly, Enzo as a right-sided 6 is simply a much better passer of the ball than Mount is - so a lot of the value Mount brings to the table from that right sided 8/10 inside forward spot is somewhat redundant now.

I do think though that if he were to go to Liverpool or City he'd be fecking awesome - which is extremely frustrating to say the least. We shouldn't be struggling to get the most out of a player who can contribute in as many ways as Mount can, but there have obviously been recruitment and managerial issues holding us back.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
He's ideally an 8 in a 3 man midfield, but under Tuchel was most effective as an inside forward our the typical 3-4-2-1. At his best, he had license to drop deeper and get involved in build-up play - often we'd struggle when he got isolated too high up the pitch which again underlines that his best position is probably as an 8.

The way that I think about Mount is that he's pretty good at just about everything without having too many world-class standout attributes (aside from stamina and application). He's more effective than flashy overall.

For me he's struggled to fit into Potter's 3-4-2-1 for a few reasons. First, there's a lot less focus on keeping possession via short passing because Enzo's range is significantly better than Jorginho's - so the inside forwards are staying further up. That in turn means the inside forwards have to be better at retaining the ball - and Felix / Havertz are both significantly better at playing with their backs to goal than Mount is. Second, we simply lack a defensive midfield anchor who would allow us to play an effective 3 man midfield with Enzo / Mount either side - maaaaaybe Zakaria could do this in a pinch but he's had injury problems and doesn't seem to be favoured. Third and probably most significantly, Enzo as a right-sided 6 is simply a much better passer of the ball than Mount is - so a lot of the value Mount brings to the table from that right sided 8/10 inside forward spot is somewhat redundant now.

I do think though that if he were to go to Liverpool or City he'd be fecking awesome - which is extremely frustrating to say the least. We shouldn't be struggling to get the most out of a player who can contribute in as many ways as Mount can, but there have obviously been recruitment and managerial issues holding us back.
Ah, ok that makes sense. I had grown a little frustrated at his England performances. But from what you’ve said, that likely because he was often played as a 10 or on the wing. Our national team always seems to mistrust playing 8s as 8s. Guardiola happily played both Silvas and KDB in central midfield. The would have to be wingers or second strikers in the England team.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Ah, ok that makes sense. I had grown a little frustrated at his England performances. But from what you’ve said, that likely because he was often played as a 10 or on the wing. Our national team always seems to mistrust playing 8s as 8s. Guardiola happily played both Silvas and KDB in central midfield. The would have to be wingers or second strikers in the England team.
Yeah exactly - I seem to recall a lineup that featured Bellingham / Rice / Henderson in midfield with Sterling / Kane / Mount further forward at some point?

He's an excellent presser, is generally pretty comfortable receiving and playing in tight areas, and for the most part seems to have a high level understanding of what is asked of him tactically - I really do think that if he were to go to a top tier side and play as an 8 full time, he'd be excellent. Also personally feel like too much has been asked of him in terms of carrying our misfiring attack at times, which wouldn't be the case elsewhere.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah exactly - I seem to recall a lineup that featured Bellingham / Rice / Henderson in midfield with Sterling / Kane / Mount further forward at some point?

He's an excellent presser, is generally pretty comfortable receiving and playing in tight areas, and for the most part seems to have a high level understanding of what is asked of him tactically - I really do think that if he were to go to a top tier side and play as an 8 full time, he'd be excellent. Also personally feel like too much has been asked of him in terms of carrying our misfiring attack at times, which wouldn't be the case elsewhere.
I have to disagree. I really don’t think Mount is anyway suited to an 8. He thinks he is an 8 but he played there for England and was simply atrocious.

There isn’t many players in the World I’d consider an 8 and there’s not many teams that set up with traditional 8’s. It’s a niche position that requires a lot of positional intelligence - when to support attack, when to drop a little deeper to collect balls and initiate attacks, when and where to cover your FB when he runs beyond you etc.

I don’t see any of that with Mount. He plays between opponents midfield and defense and would be much better suited to a goal scoring 10.Mount is a player that confuses a lot of football fans because his style is very similar to a playmaking 10 but his range of passing is not consistently good enough. He doesn’t have the skill of a David Silva or a Fabregas. He should focus his efforts on hitting the net, like his former mentor Lampard. He got a personal best last season, no reason he couldn’t improve.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I have to disagree. I really don’t think Mount is anyway suited to an 8. He thinks he is an 8 but he played there for England and was simply atrocious.

There isn’t many players in the World I’d consider an 8 and there’s not many teams that set up with traditional 8’s. It’s a niche position that requires a lot of positional intelligence - when to support attack, when to drop a little deeper to collect balls and initiate attacks, when and where to cover your FB when he runs beyond you etc.

I don’t see any of that with Mount. He plays between opponents midfield and defense and would be much better suited to a goal scoring 10.Mount is a player that confuses a lot of football fans because his style is very similar to a playmaking 10 but his range of passing is not consistently good enough. He doesn’t have the skill of a David Silva or a Fabregas. He should focus his efforts on hitting the net, like his former mentor Lampard. He got a personal best last season, no reason he couldn’t improve.
Think you don't have to pigeon hole the number 8 position, there's lots of different styles of number 8's depending on teams and tactics. De Bruyne and Silva for instance have evolved from wide players into attacking number 8's for City. And their roles are different from the number 8's at Liverpool for example. Arsenal play with Xhaka and Odegaard at number 8 and they are very different players.

I find it interesting that you use Lampard as an example, because under Jose did he not play more 433 with Lampard being the more attacking 8 and a not so attacking 8 on the other side?

Actually, perhaps the mix-up is coming from what people class as a number 8 now that I read back your post.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Think you don't have to pigeon hole the number 8 position, there's lots of different styles of number 8's depending on teams and tactics. De Bruyne and Silva for instance have evolved from wide players into attacking number 8's for City. And their roles are different from the number 8's at Liverpool for example. Arsenal play with Xhaka and Odegaard at number 8 and they are very different players.

I find it interesting that you use Lampard as an example, because under Jose did he not play more 433 with Lampard being the more attacking 8 and a not so attacking 8 on the other side?

Actually, perhaps the mix-up is coming from what people class as a number 8 now that I read back your post.
Yeah, I certainly don’t think 8s are anywhere near as rare SirReginald is making out. The Spanish national team has so many 8s they are happy to field four or five of them at once! I go as far as saying that an 8 is currently the most common type of midfielder. It's 10's that are dying out as pressing systems become more popular.

There aren’t many world class 8s, but that’s the case for all positions by the very definition of the term.

Is Mount a top level 8? He can certainly put a few shiny medals on the table. And he wasn’t a bit-part player in those competitions, either. I find him a bit underwhelming at times, but you can’t really argue with his output up until this season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I certainly don’t think 8s are anywhere near as rare SirReginald is making out. The Spanish national team has so many 8s they are happy to field four or five of them at once! I go as far as saying that an 8 is currently the most common type of midfielder. It's 10's that are dying out as pressing systems become more popular.

There aren’t many world class 8s, but that’s the case for all positions by the very definition of the term.

Is Mount a top level 8? He can certainly put a few shiny medals on the table. And he wasn’t a bit-part player in those competitions, either. I find him a bit underwhelming at times, but you can’t really argue with his output up until this season.
I'm actually surprised we haven't been linked to him as well. Right age, EPL proven, opportunity there (last 12 months of deal), an area we are looking to strengthen, hard working and presses very well etc. Would normally seem ripe for an Edu/Arteta pick up.

Perhaps we want a different type of player in there (ie Rice) and are happy with a more attacking alternative in Smith-Rowe?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Um, what? Lampard was an 8 for his whole career until the very end, when he played as a sort of 6/8 hybrid but mostly sat deeper. He was never a 10 - Mourinho completely changed PL football by switching to a 4-3-3 and playing Lampard as an 8.

I also don't understand the Silva and Fabregas comparisons - given the former played as an 8 at his apex and the latter as a 6 / regista.

Status
Not open for further replies.