Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah fair enough, we still need to see how it ll gels together. It just seems crazy to think about a title challenge when we haven't been in one for 6 years now.
Hopefully these months can serve as the bedding in period and with the start of the new season we're ready to go.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Have some confidence in what's there, bloody hell buying every player that's available of quality, James out Kante out plus the rest to many to mention. Get that squad flowing and Potter has a massive chance.
I hear what you're saying. It's exciting to see what could potentially happen but as I said we haven't been anywhere near a title challenge in 6 years despite spending millions upon millions in that time. I understand what the expectations should be after spending this much and I accept it but I still need to wait and see if this manager has it in him to cultivate that kind of winning team and there are also question marks over most of the new players in terms of how they'll develop despite the huge outlay on them.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
Yes not that far off, only in 10th place.

The point of spunking 60m plus on the likes of Cucurella was to provide cover, but he turned out to be shite and you've been conned. But you won't admit to it for a couple of seasons. Azpi is finished so no use either.

Dogshit forward line. Ziyech isn't good enough, the american guy isn't, Mount flatters to deceive, then the german can barely get a goal.

But yeah it's those injuries which have done it otherwise you'd be challenging for the title.
Ouch! You are angry ...
Not challenging just trying to get top four for now.
Yes those players you mentioned aren't performing well. That's why we are fixing the problem

Last edited:

Strootman's Finger

Hopefully these months can serve as the bedding in period and with the start of the new season we're ready to go.
Hopefully all these signings fail miserably, and then chelsea will be stuck with them all for another 6 or 7 years, then hopefully continued failure on the pitch and a squad full of highly paid, unsellable players causes chelsea to go bankrupt, and hopefully that causes them to get relegated. And then proper run football clubs can scout players and buy them at a fair market price without worrying about some nutjob watching the gossip column and stealing other clubs players. Hopefully.

mu4c_20le

Yeah fair enough, we still need to see how it ll gels together. It just seems crazy to think about a title challenge when we haven't been in one for 6 years now.
I don't know if that guy was joking, but Arsenal had a clear plan and they are only reaping the benefits after two years. Not sure if any of these signings are Potter's but he will truly need to be a magician to make it all work.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully all these signings fail miserably, and then chelsea will be stuck with them all for another 6 or 7 years, then hopefully continued failure on the pitch and a squad full of highly paid, unsellable players causes chelsea to go bankrupt, and hopefully that causes them to get relegated. And then proper run football clubs can scout players and buy them at a fair market price without worrying about some nutjob watching the gossip column and stealing other clubs players. Hopefully.
I see fan fiction is still a popular thing in 2023.

bringbackbebe

You really like them, don't you? :lol:

ShinjiNinja26

:lol:

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
The point of spunking 60m plus on the likes of Cucurella was to provide cover, but he turned out to be shite and you've been conned. But you won't admit to it for a couple of seasons. Azpi is finished so no use either.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here. If you agree that there is a significant difference between our starting fullbacks (James and Chilwell) compared to Cucurella and Azpilicueta/Chalobah then I can only assume you agree that their absence is significantly hurting our performances as well. The tone made me think that you were disagreeing but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Dogshit forward line. Ziyech isn't good enough, the american guy isn't, Mount flatters to deceive, then the german can barely get a goal.
Fair criticism of our attacking options, especially since they're all out of form at the moment. A lot of our attacking play the past few years has come from overlapping fullbacks, further highlighting the absence of James and Chilwell. At the moment our central midfielders (Jorginho, Kovacic, Zakaria) aren't creative enough, and Cucurella and Azpilicueta aren't as good going forward as the two starters. Makes our attacking stale and predictable. In either case the attacking midfielders have still underperformed and I expect both Pulisic and Ziyech to be undesired after this season.

But yeah it's those injuries which have done it otherwise you'd be challenging for the title.
I don't think it's that crazy. From what I can remember the last time James/Chilwell/Kanté got a consistent run of games (21-22 season) we were top of the table around Christmas, when James and Chilwell got long-term injuries. Hardly a coincidence that our form dropped off a cliff the weeks after.
10+ simultaneous injuries in a season where the fixtures are as dense as they are isn't insignificant. With everyone fit we did win a Champions League without being jammy, so I think not being THAT far from contending for a title is a fair assessment *shrug*.

Strootman's Finger

You really like them, don't you? :lol:
I didn't mind them until this current ownership group tookover. I think their a laughing stock now, but more importantly, I think the way they are operating is having a negative effect on football. In an already inflated market, they are driving up the costs of players.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
There’s no doubting it’s a risky strategy but it’s exciting.

How many times do fans say they want a complete overhaul and it almost never happens. This is actually happening and by the summer of 2023 would could likely field a whole new team.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
That analogy doesn't work, unless the homeowner is likely to need to buy 4-6 houses a year for the next 30 years.

Your amortising transfer fees mean that you've already spent a significant amount of your budget over the next eight years. This will work if these players turn out to be mainstays in your first team, but my assumption would be that you're looking to replace the majority of them in 2-4 years, when your ability to make signings at that point are restricted by FFP and the impact of the transfers you're making today.
The homeowner doesn't NEED to buy another house just as a club doesn't NEED to buy players. It all depends on ambition to improve the assets and the financial ability to do so.

Why would you assume the budget is severely impacted for 8 years? Similar to what was outlined in my previous analogy, this would, once again, be a narrow way of thinking. It would only be true if A) there were no outgoings and B) no increase in revenues. Both of which would be unwise to assume.

A large percentage of the outlay over the last 2 windows should be recovered in the next two windows with outgoings. TV revenues are already increasing this year and there are concrete plans to increase other revenue streams over the next few years. I don't foresee any potential issues with FFP that would cause the board concerns at this point. The amount of saleable assets are quite high considering the size and age of the players under contract.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Hughie77

I hear what you're saying. It's exciting to see what could potentially happen but as I said we haven't been anywhere near a title challenge in 6 years despite spending millions upon millions in that time. I understand what the expectations should be after spending this much and I accept it but I still need to wait and see if this manager has it in him to cultivate that kind of winning team and there are also question marks over most of the new players in terms of how they'll develop despite the huge outlay on them.
I hear you, but these new guys coming in are quality along with what's already there I'd have expectations big ones. They could sell Rhys James to Utd though they don't need him haha , quality player again.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And you were stupid enough to fall for it
I really do admire your front questioning anyones decision making after you came to the conclusion Wan Bissaka was better than Reece James.

cyberman

I really do admire your front questioning anyones decision making after you came to the conclusion Wan Bissaka was better than Reece James.
Up there with Pulisic over Rashford I suppose.
Plus who would you actually pick if one of them is chronically injured anyway? A good player who can do a job or a player or is better but your team completely falls apart with his inevitable injuries? It’s basically Dave v AWB at this point in time.
That’s a question for another day and probably for the team who lay 1 point above 11th after a 600m spend on a side that finished third last season.
But hey..Antony.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Up there with Pulisic over Rashford I suppose.
Plus who would you actually pick if one of them is chronically injured anyway? A good player who can do a job or a player or is better but your team completely falls apart with his inevitable injuries? It’s basically Dave v AWB at this point in time.
That’s a question for another day and probably for the team who lay 1 point above 11th after a 600m spend on a side that finished third last season.
But hey..Antony.
What is practically a default win isn't even on the same galaxy as comparing the Basthauyi of right backs favourably against one of the best around with little to no weaknesses.

Anyway keep going I'm actually sort of glad you're constantly banging on about shit we are, last time you did it we ended up winning the UCL.

redcucumber

There’s no doubting it’s a risky strategy but it’s exciting.

How many times do fans say they want a complete overhaul and it almost never happens. This is actually happening and by the summer of 2023 would could likely field a whole new team.
Does it not feel slightly hollow? I'd genuinely hate it if United could field an entirely new defence/team after 6 months, whenever they felt like it. It's what I used to do on Football Manager.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Does it not feel slightly hollow? I'd genuinely hate it if United could field an entirely new defence/team after 6 months, whenever they felt like it. It's what I used to do on Football Manager.
Well if everyone is fit, we still have Kepa/Mendy in goal, Chilwell at LB, Silva at CB and James RB. Kante and Kovacic in midfield. It’s really just the attack we keep overhauling every season. We’ll start next season with a new look attack for like the third season in a row.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The team was aging and some bad buys recently. It is necessary. We also have several academy players that will remain with the first team.

Hughie77

Who of their rivals' is it as good as when all are fit then?
Chelsea have a squad of players who are just as good as what Liverpool got if not better, on par with Arsenal and UTD only City will have a better squad. Chelsea Keepers are bit suspect that's a weakness

redcucumber

Well if everyone is fit, we still have Kepa/Mendy in goal, Chilwell at LB, Silva at CB and James RB. Kante and Kovacic in midfield. It’s really just the attack we keep overhauling every season. We’ll start next season with a new look attack for like the third season in a row.
If you sign Caicedo or Fernandez it's game over for Kante surely?

The team was aging and some bad buys recently. It is necessary. We also have several academy players that will remain with the first team.
Every team suffers bad buys. That's part of the fun! To immediately go out and rectify all the bad moves in half a year isn't in the spirit of the shared suffering experienced by the average football fan when their team goes through a transitional period/rebuild. I'm sure this won't be a constant thing but there's something very uncouth about the current goings-on.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If you sign Caicedo or Fernandez it's game over for Kante surely?
Not necessarily, don’t even think Enzo and Kante are similar players. But say you were right, that still leaves half the team predating this new ownership, so it’s not a whole new team or even a whole new defence as you claimed.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Ouch! You are angry ...
Not challenging just trying to get top four for now.
Yes those players you mentioned aren't performing well. That's why we are fixing the problem
Have every chance to make 10 points gain with no domestic competition to fight for it's pretty much Potter s known territory.Also will be fresh for games with time to bed in his ideas in between games.

Injured players coming back especially wingbacks in James and chilwell we can go on a run. With new players who have pace and trick with returnees from injuries we will be minimum 10-12 points level team in 5 games I assume.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Have every chance to make 10 points gain with no domestic competition to fight for it's pretty much Potter s known territory.Also will be fresh for games with time to bed in his ideas in between games.

Injured players coming back especially wingbacks in James and chilwell we can go on a run. With new players who have pace and trick with returnees from injuries we will be minimum 10-12 points level team in 5 games I assume.
Even for a team with the quality of players Chelsea have a 10 point gain, especially when the teams actually in top 4 look solid and consistent, is a big ask.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Even for a team with the quality of players Chelsea have a 10 point gain, especially when the teams actually in top 4 look solid and consistent, is a big ask.
I agree I think we've left it with too much to do but I certainly think there's potential openings.

Newcastle draw too much, United have a nightmare schedule (and in my opinion every bit as reliant on Casemiro as we are James) while I don't even think Spurs have really been better than us but have Kane to gloss over it.

Like I said I think we've left ourselves with too much to do but if we can somehow keep James fit and build some momentum I can certainly envisage an outside shot, we weren't that better off at this stage of the season two years ago and made it.

redcucumber

Not necessarily, don’t even think Enzo and Kante are similar players. But say you were right, that still leaves half the team predating this new ownership, so it’s not a whole new team or even a whole new defence as you claimed.
Aren't you trying to sign Malo Gusto, the right back? So that's Cucurella, Fofana, Badiashille, Koulibaly, Malo Gusto - a new defence. In midfield, Zakaria, Chukwuemeka, Fernandez/Caicedo - a new midfield. Mudryk, Joao Felix, Sterling, Aubameyang, Noni - a new frontline and then some. So, literally a whole new team and definitely a whole new defence.

Vapor trail

Seems there's lots of back and forth but the assumption I disagree with is that a newly assembled team is easily is able to bed together irrespective of quality. This I find to not be true and often time when too many signings are made it upsets the balance, chemistry and cohesion for the unit to function together. The manager endures difficulty trying to find the right first 11. There's also no testing period in the league because of how difficult the average game is even against opposition outside the top 10.

I heard Lingard's interview with the chap from dragons den recently and his answer to the reason why United never challenged properly despite having a really strong team on paper and influx of new additions was their inability to click. It's not too dissimilar to Forest signing something like 18 players in one window. I think it would take almost three seasons for all those players to become a team. Arsenal aren't a realistic model to follow after with this youth approach because even their fans didn't anticipate the high level of intensity this season and they had to endure a process of 8th consecutive place finishes which in most cases will see a dismissal under modern management for 99% of top teams.

I think the key objective for Chelsea under this new approach is not to necessarily challenge straight away but to build the right culture, ethics and philosophy that gives them the foundation to win from. Buying players doesn't build a foundation it's often time the manager that creates those intangibles. This is the test for Potter. Does he replicate what Southgate has done for England of creating the environment etc but having a ceiling needing someone else to come in and reach the next benchmark. There are many variables at play.

Last edited:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. It's certainly not in our hands but things can change quickly if we able to put on the run and injury returnees stay fit for rest of the season. We can go deep in cl as well.

Often we do well in cl when we struggled in domestic season. Potential is there for us to go on a very good run in domestic as well as Europe.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Seems there's lots of back and forth but the assumption I disagree with is that a newly assembled team is easily is able to bed together irrespective of quality. This I find to not be true and often time when too many signings are made it upsets the balance, chemistry and cohesion for the unit to function together. The manager endures difficulty trying to find the right first 11. There's also no testing period in the league because of how difficult the average game is even against opposition outside the top 10.

I heard Lingard's interview with the chap from dragons den recently and his answer to the reason why United never challenged properly despite having a really strong team on paper and influx of new additions was their inability to click. It's not too dissimilar to Forest signing something like 18 players in one window. I think it would take almost three seasons for all those players to become a team. Arsenal aren't a realistic model to follow after with this youth approach because even their fans didn't anticipate the high level of intensity this season and they had to endure a process of 8th consecutive place finishes which in most cases will see a dismissal under modern management for 99% of top teams.

I think the key objective for Chelsea under this new approach is not to necessarily challenge straight away but to build the right culture, ethics and philosophy that gives them the foundation to win from. Buying players players doesn't build a foundation it's often time the manager that creates those intangibles. This is the test for Potter. Does he replicate what Southgate has done for England of creating the environment etc but having a ceiling needing someone else to come in and reach the next benchmark. There are many variables at play.
I think upper management and coaching staffs gave up on many players. Felix,mudryk and havertz our main front three from now on.

This two week rest will give Potter enough time to correct the things and structure of the side. Lucky for him he can use this window to integrate new players. We will be overall fine for rest of the season in my opinion.

We were out of the cup games give us time and rest to make things work.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I think the key objective for Chelsea under this new approach is not to necessarily challenge straight away but to build the right culture, ethics and philosophy that gives them the foundation to win from. Buying players players doesn't build a foundation it's often time the manager that creates those intangibles. This is the test for Potter. Does he replicate what Southgate has done for England of creating the environment etc but having a ceiling needing someone else to come in and reach the next benchmark. There are many variables at play.
Not necessarily. The season we won the league in 14/15 only Ivanovic, Cahill and Terry out of the first choice lineup were signed outside of the two season's prior. Then when we won it again two years later half the outfield regulars (Alonso, Moses, Luiz, Kante and Pedro) were not at the club during the Jose win, all be it two of them were here before.

04/05 was even more extreme with only Gallas, Terry, Lampard and Gudjohnsen playing regularly from the season before last.

I would imagine James, Mount and Chilwell at the very least will be in the first choice lineup out of the "long termers", heck the way he's going it wouldn't totally shock me if Silva still lasts a few more years yet.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I agree I think we've left it with too much to do but I certainly think there's potential openings.

Newcastle draw too much, United have a nightmare schedule (and in my opinion every bit as reliant on Casemiro as we are James) while I don't even think Spurs have really been better than us but have Kane to gloss over it.

Like I said I think we've left ourselves with too much to do but if we can somehow keep James fit and build some momentum I can certainly envisage an outside shot, we weren't that better off at this stage of the season two years ago and made it.
Your away schedule is one of the toughest left.....Arsenal, Man. City, Man. United and Spurs. Add in West Ham and Wolves who are battling relegation and think you took one point from those two aways last season.

Think you can win 6-7 home games but that will only get you up to around 50 points so going to need to win at least five aways to be in the conversation and I don't see Potter suddenly becoming a master at winning away constantly to top 4 chasing sides.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Your away schedule is one of the toughest left.....Arsenal, Man. City, Man. United and Spurs. Add in West Ham and Wolves who are battling relegation and think you took one point from those two aways last season.

Think you can win 6-7 home games but that will only get you up to around 50 points so going to need to win at least five aways to be in the conversation and I don't see Potter suddenly becoming a master at winning away constantly to top 4 chasing sides.
Spurs is one of the games I feel confident about, we usually perform against them and despite him scoring last time Silva has handled Kane next to perfectly since he's arrived on these shores.

I take your point about the other 3 though. West Ham and Wolves will be tough but I'd like to think if we pick up momentum we should get 4 points from them.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see Potter suddenly becoming a master at winning away constantly to top 4 chasing sides.
Let's see and judge when he has 7 starters back and available. Having Chilwell, James, Fofana, Kante, Kovacic, Sterling and Felix back would be game-changing for any coach. Broja would have also started quite a few over Havertz.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea certainly could have the talent to challenge for the title next year.

The problem is that City have set the bar for a true title challenge really high in this era, it takes an exceptionally consistent team to challenge right now, and I don't really have much confidence that Potter is a manager that can make that happen. He was managing Brighton of course but this is a guy who finished on 41, 41, and 51 points in his three full campaigns and Brighton currently look better under De Zerbi than they ever did under Potter. The case for him being a manager able to craft a team and culture that is consistent enough to go for 90+ is a pretty optimistic one.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea certainly could have the talent to challenge for the title next year.

The problem is that City have set the bar for a true title challenge really high in this era, it takes an exceptionally consistent team to challenge right now, and I don't really have much confidence that Potter is a manager that can make that happen. He was managing Brighton of course but this is a guy who finished on 41, 41, and 51 points in his three full campaigns and Brighton currently look better under De Zerbi than they ever did under Potter. The case for him being a manager able to craft a team and culture that is consistent enough to go for 90+ is a pretty optimistic one.
I bet the Chelsea lads were saying the same thing about Arteta last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.