Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We're adding really quality players to a team that was good enough to comfortably win the Champions League just over a year ago. I'm not expecting a title challenge because City are just so much stronger than any other team in Europe. But I expect to be competing for everything else, just like we did last year reaching 2 finals and losing to the eventual CL winners in added time. We'll be Gucci.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That could be a near £300M window, & folk were giving Arteta grief for spending half that! :houllier:

Honestly, see from the outside, this is starting to feel like when my mate plays Football Manager and just tries to buy 2/3 of a new team just targeting random players and buying some well known names that he knows.

I just struggle to see an identity in you and what you are doing now. I suppose that's what it must have felt like at the beginning of the Roman era when he came in and bought 6 or 7 players. I think folk thought this would be Newcastle acting like this as a new Biliionaires play thing.
Half the players we’re linked with are just links. Nothing particularly concrete. So far we’ve signed a Rudiger replacement, a Lukaku replacement (kind of) and a young kid to be developed and someone (if announced, hopefully tomorrow) who can ease the load on Chilwell but also cover another position. Fofana, if we can get him, would be a direct Christensen replacement.

Yeah the rumour mill is going bonkers but so far it’s been a solid window of plugging gaps and improving the squad.

FDJ would be an additional signing that would tackle a problem we know is coming in 12 months time. And Auba, similar to the Vardy links, is an experienced attacker who can supplement the attack, but again nothing concrete here, just rumours and links.

If you cut through the noise and the endless rumours, it’s a solid window.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Half the players we’re linked with are just links. Nothing particularly concrete. So far we’ve signed a Rudiger replacement, a Lukaku replacement (kind of) and a young kid to be developed and someone (if announced, hopefully tomorrow) who can ease the load on Chilwell but also cover another position. Fofana, if we can get him, would be a direct Christensen replacement.

Yeah the rumour mill is going bonkers but so far it’s been a solid window of plugging gaps and improving the squad.

FDJ would be an additional signing that would tackle a problem we know is coming in 12 months time. And Auba, similar to the Vardy links, is an experienced attacker who can supplement the attack, but again nothing concrete here, just rumours and links.

If you cut through the noise and the endless rumours, it’s a solid window.
It seems like noise and links from fairly solid sources though, no? Let's see how the window finishes, but you could easily end up signing 8 or 9 players, and at least have bid for 3 or 4 others, and that's just what we know for sure, never mind the noise about the others.

I mean, if your spending up to £300M, it would be harder not to have a solid window. Like i said, it seems like a window my mate would target 1st summer in Football Manager.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
People are giving Arteta grief because he gets sparked 4-0 on the regular at City and Liverpool. He's crap, it doesn't matter what he spends he will always be a pint sized Pep.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
People are giving Arteta grief because he gets sparked 4-0 on the regular at City and Liverpool. He's crap, it doesn't matter what he spends he will always be a pint sized Pep.
And yet seems to enjoy playing against Tuchel & Chelsea. ;)

bringbackbebe

Lukaku -> Broja
Werner -> Sterling
Ziyech -> "Chukwuemeka"
Saul -> Gallagher
Rüdiger -> Koulibaly
Christensen -> "Fofana"
Alonso -> "Cucurella"
Azpi -> "Dumfries"
Kepa -> Slonina (in January)

If the club manage to pull off the proposed signings of Fofana, Cucurella and Dumfries on top of the deals already made, I would definitely consider the squad to have improved from last season.
Fofana, Cucurella and Dumfries alone should cost you 150m - on top of the 100m money you've already spent. Going to be some transfer window for you guys.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Fofana, Cucurella and Dumfries alone should cost you 150m - on top of the 100m money you've already spent. Going to be some transfer window for you guys.
Not sure that's enough, aren't we talking roughly 100m for Fofana? Cucurella more than 50m, and can't see Dumfries costing less than 30m as well

CM

This is one of the most scattergun windows I can remember for a Premier League team. Some of it might just be media noise but it feels like Chelsea are in the mix for everyone.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
And yet seems to enjoy playing against Tuchel & Chelsea. ;)
You got 2 wins against tuchel s 1 win. That s not overwhelming enjoyment I suppose. If you add latest friendly then 3 wins.

If you add that as real win I think you are much desperate to find positive it seems.Good luck with that. I hope after few games you don't blame arteta for failing again. :)

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You got 2 wins against tuchel s 1 win. That s not overwhelming enjoyment I suppose. If you add latest friendly then 3 wins.

If you add that as real win I think you are much desperate to find positive it seems.Good luck with that. I hope after few games you don't blame arteta for failing again. :)
I did say Chelsea as well as Tuchel. In which case you can add the FA Cup win, and another win at the Emirates near Frank's end game. You'd have a win in Arteta's first home game with those 2 late goals, and this was a direct response to the comment that says he's crap, and I need to take all the small wins I can. :wenger:

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It seems like noise and links from fairly solid sources though, no? Let's see how the window finishes, but you could easily end up signing 8 or 9 players, and at least have bid for 3 or 4 others, and that's just what we know for sure, never mind the noise about the others.

I mean, if your spending up to £300M, it would be harder not to have a solid window. Like i said, it seems like a window my mate would target 1st summer in Football Manager.
Keep in mind we've lost/are losing 8 players, hence why I'm saying the majority of the players we'll up actually signing will be direct replacements for outgoing players.

Media noise, even from solid sources is still just media noise. I doubt Walker-Peters or Sesko will end up being Chelsea players for example, even if it's true that Chelsea enquired about them or meet with agents.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Keep in mind we've lost/are losing 8 players, hence why I'm saying the majority of the players we'll up actually signing will be direct replacements for outgoing players.

Media noise, even from solid sources is still just media noise. I doubt Walker-Peters or Sesko will end up being Chelsea players for example, even if it's true that Chelsea enquired about them or meet with agents.
I am optimistic about coming season. At last our manager have a huge say in transfers of first team. All the signings and targets were hand picked by him.

From sterling to recent cucurella and even aubamyang all are his recommendations. But Barca will not sell aubamyang in my opinion. He scored 11 in 17 games for them last season. So doubt that.

At the end of the window we will be quite ready to challenge city for title in my opinion. I am expecting a deep cl run and fight for title nothing less.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Does seem like we're really throwing money around all over the place. Be interesting if we got Auba in. Presumably that would mean Werner definitely leaving.

Seems like we might buy and sell 8-10 players, which is quite high. Will be a big job for Tuchel to settle so much change in.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Does seem like we're really throwing money around all over the place. Be interesting if we got Auba in. Presumably that would mean Werner definitely leaving.

Seems like we might buy and sell 8-10 players, which is quite high. Will be a big job for Tuchel to settle so much change in.
It's in his hands though. Ever since publically admitted some players don't want to be here then he only need to rectify that. Either make them important in the group or move them away and bring in players who fit in his style.

No excuse for him. We are after auba only because of him. After all those signings and if still our attack drew blank then he must take the blame.There is no two way about it. Boehly is given him the key to spend 200-300 mn. It's upto him.

I am never worried about cup runs under tuchel including cl because we are matched to any team in the world even last season with depleted squad. Just need the consistency in league but that will come this season. No doubt about that.

AkaAkuma

Assuming Chelsea sign Fofana or another CB will it be 3 at the back as the main formation?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That could be a near £300M window, & folk were giving Arteta grief for spending half that! :houllier:

Honestly, see from the outside, this is starting to feel like when my mate plays Football Manager and just tries to buy 2/3 of a new team just targeting random players and buying some well known names that he knows.

I just struggle to see an identity in you and what you are doing now. I suppose that's what it must have felt like at the beginning of the Roman era when he came in and bought 6 or 7 players. I think folk thought this would be Newcastle acting like this as a new Biliionaires play thing.
The difference is Tuchel will (rightly) be held accountable if the results don't follow, does/will Arteta?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The difference is Tuchel will (rightly) be held accountable if the results don't follow, does/will Arteta?
Do you know what his targets are? Do you know how trigger happy the new regime is? Do we know what Arteta's targets are?
That's a bit it a vague statement.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Do you know what his targets are? Do you know how trigger happy the new regime is? Do we know what Arteta's targets are?
If the new regime is like they are with the Dodgers, they are not trigger happy at all. They believe in building and patience unless they think the manager is incompetent or has lost the players. They expect to win, but this year is a year of transition. They will not hold Tuchel like Roman would this year unless he loses the squad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not flapping for top 4 should be minimum requirement for us (then title challenge the following season when the new boys have gelled and we have a stable summer). For Arteta it should be breaking into the top 4 (then assuming he's still getting backed to the same level maintaining it comfortably from then on).

I know people may say it's unfair because he's up against Tuchel, Conte and potentially Ten Hag but the former two were free agents when Arteta was really struggling (if Conte was willing to go to Spurs there's no way he would have turned you down if Edu pitched it properly, i don't think Tuchel would have either) so effectively picking Mikel ahead of those names has set the standards, or should do.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If the new regime is like they are with the Dodgers, they are not trigger happy at all. They believe in building and patience unless they think the manager is incompetent or has lost the players. They expect to win, but this year is a year of transition. They will not hold Tuchel like Roman would this year unless he loses the squad.
Basically boehly group trust tuchel to build first team in his own image and allowed 2/3 rd of half a billion to bring in his own players.Even without second thoughts they binned Lukaku away from chelsea. I am not sure it's not trust what else.

At chelsea under Roman only Jose mk1 had that trust. Now tuchel got it from boehly group. Will see how things shape up once window closed.Let's get behind Deutsche maestro. :)

TheReligion

Abusive
Are they having a good or bad transfer window?

No Chelsea fans respond to this
They are getting players in which is important given who they have lost. Their window feels very reactive though rather than proactive but it may pay off.

What I would say though as there’s clearly no specific strategy in what they are doing and I guess you could expect that given it’s Boehly and Tuchel managing the window.

How they have gone about business is very unlike Chelsea so it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

It's not great in terms of the season starting in a couple of days that so many incoming and outgoings are up in the air.

However, I think by the time the window shuts they'll have done good business. It will have cost them a pretty penny to do so.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They are getting players in which is important given who they have lost. Their window feels very reactive though rather than proactive but it may pay off.

What I would say though as there’s clearly no specific strategy in what they are doing and I guess you could expect that given it’s Boehly and Tuchel managing the window.

How they have gone about business is very unlike Chelsea so it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.
It feels scattergun but they're making some deals.

The Chelsea fans will spin it like Barca fans are doing though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

But providing context and adding our opinion isn't spinning it just because it differs from what you think is happening :D

TheReligion

Abusive

I think most will feel quite uneasy about the changes at the club given they will be used to Roman, Cech and Marina running things.

It seems Boehly is very much learning on the job given the way he’s gone about things and the naive mistakes being made but to his credit he’s making money available and seems comfortable in opening the chequebook despite the lack of planning.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
But providing context and adding our opinion isn't spinning it just because it differs from what you think is happening :D
Chelsea could sign James Corden as a centre forward and you'd be on here defending it as a genius move.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea could sign James Corden as a centre forward and you'd be on here defending it as a genius move.
Behave. I have my limits.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with being positive and viewing things with an optimistic perspective. There are enough doom mongers and misery spreaders in here without me adding to that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

He said "no Chelsea fans respond to this".

BerryBerryShrew

If they sign who they are expected to sign they won't challenge for the title. If you're adding £300m of talent to a team that finished 3rd last year, then a strong challenge is required to justify the spend.

So not a good window for me. They're signing good players but not players that they need. For example, it looks like they are going to spunk huge money on Fofana. Is he (after a leg break) really a surer bet than Colwill? He certainly isn't a better bet than Guehi and they could surely get him back from Palace for a lot less than the £70m-£100m that Leicester are demanding (maybe even considerably less if they weren't stupid enough to let Guehi go without a buyback clause- and given the way Chelsea fans bang on about Marina as if she was better than Florentino Perez, she surely had the foresight to put one in the contract)

Likewise Sterling is a good player, but he is too functional. They don't have a lot of imagination up top (Havertz, Mount, Sterling, CHO etc) are good technicians but they can't pull rabbits out of hats the same way Hazard used to do last time they won a title with a 5-3-2. If they had succeeded in signing Dembelé then that would have changed things imo.

Obviously the less we talk about signing Cucurella the better (already have Chilwell and Koulibaly in the two positions that he plays in).

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He said "no Chelsea fans respond to this".
:lol:

It has been chaotic and a bit ADD. As long as the players at the end are good enough, it will be a good window. Hard to judge when there is almost a month left.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

East let’s not compare us to that cult like following. I honestly couldn’t say how this season is going to pan out but in terms of recruitment it’s simply a body for a body. Whether they can play together in one style.. that’s anyones guess. Definitely think it’s going to be a one off window though, we won’t operate like this long term.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If they sign who they are expected to sign they won't challenge for the title. If you're adding £300m of talent to a team that finished 3rd last year, then a strong challenge is required to justify the spend.

So not a good window for me. They're signing good players but not players that they need. For example, it looks like they are going to spunk huge money on Fofana. Is he (after a leg break) really a surer bet than Colwill? He certainly isn't a better bet than Guehi and they could surely get him back from Palace for a lot less than the £70m-£100m that Leicester are demanding (maybe even considerably less if they weren't stupid enough to let Guehi go without a buyback clause- and given the way Chelsea fans bang on about Marina as if she was better than Florentino Perez, she surely had the foresight to put one in the contract)

Likewise Sterling is a good player, but he is too functional. They don't have a lot of imagination up top (Havertz, Mount, Sterling, CHO etc) are good technicians but they can't pull rabbits out of hats the same way Hazard used to do last time they won a title with a 5-3-2. If they had succeeded in signing Dembelé then that would have changed things imo.

Obviously the less we talk about signing Cucurella the better (already have Chilwell and Koulibaly in the two positions that he plays in).
The team that finished 3rd lost/are losing about £200-250m worth of talent to begin with, so that needs to be factored in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

It's a good one, in my opinion, a little haphazard, but they changed ownership, so that is expected.

Sterling - one of the best transfers of this window and a much needed upgrade to their lack luster attack
Koulibally - an improvement on Rudiger

Not sure why they really need Cucarella though, but if they land Forfana, again that's a big improvement on Christensen

At the end of the day the squad will be better than last season, I think that's good given their circumstances (change of owner etc)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
For all the noises they make , they still haven't signed anyone except Sterling and KK. Think they are in for a tough season this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.