Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He did play in front of Havertz and Mount when Tuchel first came and did buzz all around tbf. But, both Havertz and Mount looked better with him attacking the space he created imo.

Guess we will see, you definitely need an upgrade upfront as it stands. Agree with you about Sterling though, he will be fine.
I do like Werner but he's just too shit at finishing to be relied upon.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think we'll certainly see that at some point as Tuchel tried to find what works best.
I see Werner as needing to move elsewhere.

Reminds me a little of when United had Diego Forlan.

I suspect Werner will light it up at his next club but for whatever reason he just can’t get going at Chelsea and the damage is now already done. Definitely needs a fresh start.

CM

Thing is, big teams who play boring football have a short shelf life. A collapse is on the horizon for Tuchel's era at Chelsea, it's a matter of when rather than if now. There's only so long that his system and Boehly's ambitions can coexist. With the amount of money they're pouring into signing great players, how patient is the owner going to be with a style that relies so so heavily on defenders scoring goals and Jorginho penalties?
Agreed. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if another trophyless season sees him given the boot if the football isn't attractive enough. Even if he manages to secure top 4.

duffer

Scout
I see Werner as needing to move elsewhere.

Reminds me a little of when United had Diego Forlan.

I suspect Werner will light it up at his next club but for whatever reason he just can’t get going at Chelsea and the damage is now already done. Definitely needs a fresh start.
In a side who sets up to play without the ball and hopes for counters he'd be great.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He did play in front of Havertz and Mount when Tuchel first came and did buzz all around tbf. But, both Havertz and Mount looked better with him attacking the space he created imo. It looked much more fluid.

Guess we will see, you definitely need an upgrade upfront as it stands. Agree with you about Sterling though, he will be fine.
I think teams also understood the system well comparing to tuchel s initial days with Werner and didn't allow Werner time and space.

We also need to upgrade jorginho in my opinion. Have time and space to pick runners yesterday few times but looking slow in decision making.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, that was kind of my point. If you could find someone similiar, but prolific it would lift you up instantly. Not an easy find, I know.
Totally agree. Werner’s style is perfect for our system. He runs the channels, unsettles defenses and creates space for other players. Without him, the space in the middle gets closed down very quickly which forces us out wide and that’s where teams want us because there’s usually no options right now inside the box.

Peak Henry would be perfect.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think teams also understood the system well comparing to tuchel s initial days with Werner and didn't allow Werner time and space.

We also need to upgrade jorginho in my opinion. Have time and space to pick runners yesterday few times but looking slow in decision making.
Where will Kovacic and Gallagher play?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can Chelsea fans shed any light on spending over 50/60 million on a left-back when you already have Chilwell? That's over 100 million on let-backs alone. It seems Chelsea are going the United route with the new owners. Marina seems to be a miss already just as we missed Gill and Sir Alex in the recruiting department.
I mean Marina had her upsides but it seems this is another case of someone getting better when they're not here.

Her contract management left a lot to be desired and I can pretty safely say that this window will end up better than 2017 and last summer.

IrishRedDevil

I mean Marina had her upsides but it seems this is another case of someone getting better when they're not here.

Her contract management left a lot to be desired and I can pretty safely say that this window will end up better than 2017 and last summer.
You didn’t answer the question.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Totally agree. Werner’s style is perfect for our system. He runs the channels, unsettles defenses and creates space for other players. Without him, the space in the middle gets closed down very quickly which forces us out wide and that’s where teams want us because there’s usually no options right now inside the box.

Peak Henry would be perfect.
Listen to Pep from 04:07 (well, the whole interview is pretty good) and how much he admired you even before he lost that final.

phelans shorts

Can Chelsea fans shed any light on spending over 50/60 million on a left-back when you already have Chilwell? That's over 100 million on let-backs alone. It seems Chelsea are going the United route with the new owners. Marina seems to be a miss already just as we missed Gill and Sir Alex in the recruiting department.
I’m no Chelsea fan but it seems obvious to me, Chilwell is just coming back from a really bad injury and has had injury concerns for a while, which leaves the killer as their fallback option and he’s a bit crap at this point. Add in all the distance the Chelsea wingbacks cover and the rotation that’ll be necessary this season, quality depth is very much a necessity for them.

duffer

Scout
You didn’t answer the question.
Why did Chelsea spend a ton on Cucarella? Because he is a very good player who can play multiple positions, Chillwell is coming off of an extremely serious injury and the club doesn't want to have to rely on Alonso or Emerson at left wing back, left centre back or left back if we switch to a back 4.

Why did Man United spend £56 million on that guy from from the Dutch league despite you having a lot of CBs? Because you're not happy with what you had in that position. Good players cost a shitload, especially when the selling club knows the buyer has money.

SambaBoy

Silva is just a rolls royce of a defender, very class. Thought KK was solid too.

But yeah toothless in attack, Havertz just drifts around without trying to affect the game and was poor, same with Mount.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Where will Kovacic and Gallagher play?
Whatever you think about our midfield kovasic and Gallagher can't bring the conductor role for our play.

Yes he still can play but calming down the play and orchestrate the midfield he is not. Him and gallagher more suited for three man midfield to play than jorginho role if we wanted to play to their strength.

TheReligion

Abusive
Whatever you think about our midfield kovasic and Gallagher can't bring the conductor role for our play.

Yes he still can play but calming down the play and orchestrate the midfield he is not. Him and gallagher more suited for three man midfield to play than jorginho role if we wanted to play to their strength.
You simply have too many midfielders in that case. That’s not even mentioning RLC and Gilmour.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Could you link that please?
As above its on Romano's feed. German based guys also confirmed it. Sad to see him go but he'll do well when he returns to them probably.

Also a lot of chatter about CHO asking to go on loan...

TheLord

Why would Chelsea let Werner off, especially when they are so short of attacking options? Surely, they aren't contemplating going into the new season with Sterling as the only forward with consistent goalscoring threat! That would be suicidal.

Is there any credibility to Nkunku rumours, now that Aubameyang's have seemingly disappeared?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why would Chelsea let Werner off, especially when they are so short of attacking options? Surely, they aren't contemplating going into the new season with Sterling as the only forward with consistent goalscoring threat! That would be suicidal.

Is there any credibility to Nkunku rumours, now that Aubameyang's have seemingly disappeared?
Ronaldo :drool:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
CHO needs a move for sure. Barring injury to others he's going to struggle making the bench.
I don't know, depends on what happens to Ziyech and whether someone new comes in.

With Werner gone and if Ziyech were to leave as well, there would be Havertz, Broja, Sterling, Pulisic, Mount and CHO for the places in the front three. That's less competition than Callum's ever had during his time in the first team so could be real opportunity for him.

Wouldn't mind Werner, Ziyech, CHO all going though, and a new signing brought in. No idea who that could be.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
With all due respect as well, your post is full of factual inaccuracies and misunderstandings of the finances of sports teams.

Just as one example, the jumbotron at the new Cowboys stadium was estimated to cost $40m, not $1 billion. That you thought the latter number was even remotely in the realm of possibility raises a lot of questions.

Todd Boehly is one guy in an investment group that have been very successful with the Dodgers on and off the field. But they largely did things that other big baseball teams were already doing, especially monetizing their own local TV network and simply taking advantage of being in one of the biggest and richest markets via driving stadium revenue. The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc do largely the same things, and did them before Boehly's group took over. It's not some special "meta ownership," it's just smart businessmen driving revenues in big markets in a sport that allows individual teams to negotiate their own local TV deals (unlike football). The Dodgers had terrible ownership for a long time, there was a lot of potential to simply do what other teams were already doing in the second biggest/richest market in the US, and they came in and did that. On the baseball side, they've also run the club very well but that has very little to do with Todd Boehly specifically.

The group that bought Chelsea is a fairly standard consortium of rich individuals plus private equity. The goal above everything else is to make money. Todd Boehly might be enjoying owning the team as the chairman, but he's not trying to lose money in the long run and his partners certainly wouldn't be in the consortium if they thought it was going to lose money. If they're spending a lot of money this summer, its with the calculation that investing in the success of the on-field product will ultimately drive revenues and asset value enough in the future to make it a profitable investment. They might be a bit more aggressive about it right now, but this is the same calculation made by tons of owners like the Kroenkes spending lots of money right now, Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy injecting cash into Spurs this summer, West Ham spending over 100m the last two summers, etc. There's nothing particularly special about it, really.

In the end, there are three kinds of owners:

1. Rich guys who like owning sports teams but also want to make money. They may be better or worse and Boehly definitely could be one of the better ones. You can do pretty badly here, like the Glazers, and Boehly certainly isn't that.

2. Rich guys who like owning sports team and don't really care if they lose money because they have so much of it. This is Roman.

3. States who own sports teams and really really don't care if they lose money. This is City and Newcastle and PSG.

At the end of the day, Boehly may end up being a really good owner but in the long run he's never going to spend as much money as somebody who simply doesn't care if he loses money (Roman) or, even more so, a state for whom the money is completely a drop in the bucket and is playing a much bigger game in terms of sportswashing and geopolitics than simple football.
I had been drinking quite a bit and was going to go into the cost of the 1.3 billion dollar stadium and the sheer cost of just the Jumbotron, and ended up talking about a billion dollar jumbotron.

Your analysis of the kinds of owners is about right, except for the 4th —> the groups that view sports teams as a “meta” ownership and will frankly spend as much as they have to. Not because they just don’t care about what they spend, but because the value is having a cultural vehicle for accomplishing other things. That’s what Clearlake is. They are tech giant money, and as an ownership group they have a LOT more money than Roman did. Wyss, for instance, sees teams as away to promote environmental causes.

Drunk slips aside, I guarantee Clearlake will spend more money, at all levels, than Roman did.

Which is good …. Because someone to connect middle to the final third and provide actual scoring danger would be nice.

Or obviously an attacker. But ANY attacker we get right now will be isolated, or have to pick up the ball 20 yards outside the box.

Tuchel may not think he needs mids, but if neither of his pairing comes forward to offer something, then things won’t change and it is a system issue. And as much as I live Kante, if he’s the one coming forward it will be a mediocre attack at best.

Kovacic fixes some of those issues, but you need to have someone technically superior AND defensively sound paired with him for it to work. We are always short one or the the other and get in trouble when he’s paired with Kante or Jorgihno.

the back line was brilliant, but both Silva and Koulibaliy almost went off with leg issues and it’s just the first game.

So it’s Fofana(or other option), attacker, AND De Jong (if an actual option for me).

jakko

Supports
Chelsea

Because he wants to leave and he's really bad.
Apparently we will be getting in a forward to replace him. No idea who that is yet though, Hope it's someone creative.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wait RB are stupid enough to pay that much for him after his form for you?
Well a) sounds like they are, and b) it's not really a stupid amount. He's a very good player who, apart from finishing, was a decent player for Chelsea. Granted, goals was the main thing we signed him and he was terrible at that, hence why he's back at Leipzig now, but he had a lot of other qualities that Chelsea benefited from. They know him better than any club I guess, and they know the value he can provide to them.

I'm happy we've recouped at least half of the money we paid for him, and I wish him all the best. I hope he regains he scoring touch in the Bundesliga.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Kind of sad to see him go but we signed a superior replacement already in Sterling. Could probably do with 2 more forwards though..

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

30 million euros according to the report.

Is this what being wrong feels like?

It's strange. I don't like it.
Shame, though given how many players we have can't be surprised, good to get one shifted at least. Played a big part in us winning the CL and getting top 4 last two seasons.

Leaving already... Probably best if he's fallen out with Tuchel.

My guess is he'll start banging the goals in again pretty shortly over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.