Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Cannot believe Manchester United did not go for Tuchel when he was sacked by PSG. Top 5 manager worldwide.

DavyJones

Supports
Chelsea
If a slap across the face or a headbutt gesture towards an opponent is considered violent conduct, then so should pulling on the hair until your opponent is on the floor. Not a single one of their goals should have stood. It's what we expect of course when there is a combination of Mike Dean and Anthony Taylor for a Chelsea game.

avgp_1

Chelsea were good value for the win today but they didn't help themselves by not finishing Spurs off earlier. The difference in their intensity today and from the game at Everton was night and day. They are a different team when facing good opposition

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Gutting result aside, I was extremely encouraged by the performance. Pretty much dominated them from start to finish. Good home debuts for Cucurella, K2 and Sterling. Very happy once the feeling of disappointment subsides.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea were good value for the win today but they didn't help themselves by not finishing Spurs off earlier. The difference in their intensity today and from the game at Everton was night and day. They are a different team when facing good opposition
Think the fitness has improved as well might have something to do with the the intensity. Overall I am happy. Our finishing is still a concern but we dominated a team who were getting too noisy about being the best team in London. Cucurella looks to be a good purchase so far and RLC had a good game too.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Gutting result aside, I was extremely encouraged by the performance. Pretty much dominated them from start to finish. Good home debuts for Cucurella, K2 and Sterling. Very happy once the feeling of disappointment subsides.
We will be great mate. Kante injury a setback. Other than that we suffocated one of the best attacks. And this team will go long way in my opinion.

Bring in fofana. We will be complete. Gallagher should have shoot at sight instead of dilly dallying with the ball.

El Jefe

They look really really good but the same problem as last year. They basically need a version of the good Diego Costa that played for them because everything else looks great.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely a fecking joke that draw.

1st Spurs goal - Havertz is obviously fouled, then Richarlison tries to avoid getting in the way of the shot from an offside position by jumping towards the ball? He wasn't trying to make contact with it but he's obviously interfering.
2nd goal - I'm sorry but there is no justification for not giving a free kick to Chelsea at the very minimum. Hair pulling should be a straight red, but of course we have Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum making the decisions in Anthony Taylor and Mike Dean. Absolutely fecking ludicrous that that wasn't called.

It's also fecking crazy that Spurs didn't get a single yellow all game despite several aggressive challenges - given some of his recent decisions, Taylor should be nowhere near Chelsea matches:

Chief123

Chelsea were brilliant and should have won. I think they are going to be punished for not taking chances without a proper striker this season.

Spurs 2nd goal shouldn’t have happened. Romero nearly ripped Cucurella’s scalp off before the corner. I know VAR isn’t allowed to call it up for a foul but that was stupid.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Extremely encouraged by all 3 of our new signings and how aggressive and assertive each of them already are.

If we can maintain this same level of intensity and make 2-3 more signings we’ll be a very, very dangerous team.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Cannot believe Manchester United did not go for Tuchel when he was sacked by PSG. Top 5 manager worldwide.
Yeah, agree. Chelsea went from being rubbish Lampard to winning the champions league and being a top team. Great manager. Good new owners too. Another example that shows you don't need 5 years to "rebuild"

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They press really well. As evident in their performances when they go toe to toe with Liverpool last season. But my god I think they miss the most opportunities out of anyone in the top 6.

Tony247

Extremely encouraged by all 3 of our new signings and how aggressive and assertive each of them already are.

If we can maintain this same level of intensity and make 2-3 more signings we’ll be a very, very dangerous team.
All you need is a striker. A good one. You can buy every other position but without a striker you ain't winning nothing.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This game has certainly destroyed the narrative that Spurs have overhauled us.

For all our flaws we're still comfortably the third best team in the league.

Chief123

I actually think Gordon would be a good signing. Him and Sterling on the wings would be pace in abundance in a system which would be deadly for fast wingers. He’s still a raw talent but got some good attributes who would offer a threat. His cost would be way more than he’s worth though just cause it’s EPL and English tax.

Bleu FC

Supports
Chelsea FC, USA - France
Hello to all in the forum! Glad to be here.

Today’s game showed what Chelsea can be when they can be bothered. We do not have a problem showing up for the big games, however where we begin to falter is against mediocre teams who park the bus. The reason for this is because we severly lack in two key areas that help breaking down teams. The first one is a center forward who can finish chances and impose himself on the CB’s. The second and extremely important one is a CM who can unlock defenses with a pass, the same way Fabregas did for us. The CM is more important to me because although Havertz been subpar as a CF (Havertz is really a CAM), the way he scores is through key passes from the middle. Havertz biggest strength has not been used so far because he was masterful at Leverkusen with timing the runs and the midfield finding him. (Look at the KDB to Haaland goal for reference). Jorginho does not have the killer pass in his locker and he is not able to cover vasts amounts of recovery space that Kante can. Because of Jorginho, Kante has to play more forward and starting attacks which to me is wasting his potential but more importantly, due to his age this has put greater strain in his body and he keeps picking up injuries. With another CM who is more mobile then Jorginho, we can have Kante sitting deeper covering for the creative CM, while chances are being created and defenses broken down. The simple replacement of Jorginho would not only unlock Our attack, but also allow for Kante to do his best work and pick up lesser injuries. Kovacic also is not able to find a killer ball or shoot well on goal. To me its imperative we find a CM who has creativity and can pass through the lines. DE Jong has this, however my worries with him is that he is not able to slow down the games tempo the way Jorginho can. He is very quick in his brain process, however it is mainly on forward progression instead of game control. KDB in this team would have been fantastic, but Mourinho killed that for us.

We are more of a cup team currently because these deficiencies make us not great for the long stretch of the league unless we add a new creative CM and Striker. We also do need a new CB of course.

Ill be surprised if we win the league, but not at all the CL or FA cup.

Thank you everyone for taking your time reading this long post!

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This game has certainly destroyed the narrative that Spurs have overhauled us.

For all our flaws we're still comfortably the third best team in the league.
In fairness, while I still think we're more likely to finish 4th than 3rd still, we've gone from 4 matches against Chelsea last season (4 loss with 0 goals scored) to 1 game so far this season, with 2 goals scored and 1 point (and despite getting dominated today, a very even xg ultimately). Without any of the new signings started.

Tuchel certainly has Conte's number tactically though. As good as Chelsea looked overall (especially the midfield and James, who I thought were exceptional), I feel that the presence up top could have been more formidable.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It took Reece James 5 minutes at the RWB position to create a sitter for Havertz and score a goal himself.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness, while I still think we're more likely to finish 4th than 3rd still, we've gone from 4 matches against Chelsea last season (4 loss with 0 goals scored) to 1 game so far this season, with 2 goals scored and 1 point (and despite getting dominated today, a very even xg ultimately). Without any of the new signings started.

Tuchel certainly has Conte's number tactically though. As good as Chelsea looked overall (especially the midfield and James, who I thought were exceptional), I feel that the presence up top could have been more formidable.
As good as Conte is he has got a general weakness in big away games which i've noticed at all his clubs (hence his poor cup record), Wenger of all people had his number when he was with us. I feel he could benefit moving to a 433 in the biggest games as getting RLC and Mount to flood the 2 man midfield has you seeing stars in the first half.

Although that said he's been fine vs Pep and Klopp for you guys so maybe i'm chatting shit and it's more Tuchel at Spurs is his Wenger with us :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Signing Gordon currently at that price would be bizarre. He has loads of potential but he’s just as likely to become an average player as he is to become a great one. His end product currently is really poor and most Everton fans would very much take 40-50m for him in his current form. I’d be surprised if we didn’t sell him if a 50m+ deal came in.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It took Reece James 5 minutes at the RWB position to create a sitter for Havertz and score a goal himself.
James still not upto speed. We need to give team time to gel. I am always has this opinion to see the top 3 started today need game time together to bring that chemistry. Once that happened we will be alright in attack.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Signing Gordon currently at that price would be bizarre. He has loads of potential but he’s just as likely to become an average player as he is to become a great one. His end product currently is really poor and most Everton fans would very much take 40-50m for him in his current form. I’d be surprised if we didn’t sell him if a 50m+ deal came in.
Think there’s a long term plan being enforced. Definitely looking to younger players. Maybe Boehly is going to spend big in the beginning and then slow down with just minor additions to the squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think there’s a long term plan being enforced. Definitely looking to younger players. Maybe Boehly is going to spend big in the beginning and then slow down with just minor additions to the squad.
I understand that but he’s a player that is going to require a lot of patience. He’d get that with us because he’s a Liverpool lad and he’s Franks new “Mount” - his love child. I’d be surprised if he was afforded that patience at Chelsea.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel s all signings are good if that's tuchel s choice then I think boehly will back it up money won't be a matter in this window for us.

If we set straight and removed the dead weights in our squad we will be superb.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As good as Conte is he has got a general weakness in big away games which i've noticed at all his clubs (hence his poor cup record), Wenger of all people had his number when he was with us. I feel he could benefit moving to a 433 in the biggest games as getting RLC and Mount to flood the 2 man midfield has you seeing stars in the first half.

Although that said he's been fine vs Pep and Klopp for you guys so maybe i'm chatting shit and it's more Tuchel at Spurs is his Wenger with us :lol:
Yes! Made worse by the fact that Tuchel did something very similar I think for at least 2 of the games last season? It wasn't exactly a surprise, he did it again and again we didn't really have an answer for it!

I think Pep and Klopp just tend to plough on with their normal tactics against us and don't seem to change much from their usual weekly routine, whereas Tuchel seems much happier changing things round for this fixture.

Would love Conte to be a bit more flexible with it but if I was a betting man, I'd say that Tuchel will do something similar in the return leg and Conte probably will still field a similar formation (just perhaps with a few more of the new signings). :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.