Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yes! Made worse by the fact that Tuchel did something very similar I think for at least 2 of the games last season? It wasn't exactly a surprise, he did it again and again we didn't really have an answer for it!

I think Pep and Klopp just tend to plough on with their normal tactics against us and don't seem to change much from their usual weekly routine, whereas Tuchel seems much happier changing things round for this fixture.

Would love Conte to be a bit more flexible with it but if I was a betting man, I'd say that Tuchel will do something similar in the return leg and Conte probably will still field a similar formation (just perhaps with a few more of the new signings). :lol:
Yeah the commentators were as per usual incompetent and missed out on the key feature of the Chelsea approach - we were playing 4-2-2-2 and not 3 at the back, which let us overwhelm you in midfield. We also were very very happy to drop off Dier with the ball - and because of our numerical advantage in midfield he often was playing wide which was our main pressing trigger, and we could be aggressive because none of your front 3 were able to hold onto the ball in 1v1s.

If you can get a true distributing CB then your game will go to another level under Conte - as it is though with someone like Dier I think you may continue to have issues against the top sides. Perhaps Lenglet can step into that role - but whilst I'm not an expert from what I've seen he tends to be a bit more conservative on the ball. Which is of course fine, but there's no denying that David Luiz took Conte's Chelsea to a totally different level when he could sit deep as the quarterback.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel’s tactical use of Loftus-Cheek is amazing, I have to say.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I’ll put my hands up and admit that I was extremely worried about what Son would do to RLC on that wing. But we pressed and dominated the ball so much that he didn’t even have to do much defending. He was excellent in possession and going forward. May just save us £40m that we would’ve splashed on Dumfries or some other wingback.

As for Gordon, I have to imagine that one of Pulisic, CHO, or Ziyech is off this week and he’ll directly replace one of those if we sign him. My guess is CHO. Still makes so little sense to me, though.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah the commentators were as per usual incompetent and missed out on the key feature of the Chelsea approach - we were playing 4-2-2-2 and not 3 at the back, which let us overwhelm you in midfield. We also were very very happy to drop off Dier with the ball - and because of our numerical advantage in midfield he often was playing wide which was our main pressing trigger, and we could be aggressive because none of your front 3 were able to hold onto the ball in 1v1s.

If you can get a true distributing CB then your game will go to another level under Conte - as it is though with someone like Dier I think you may continue to have issues against the top sides.
Yep all very true and as you say, shockingly little mention of this tactical switch, especially considering its one Tuchel used to such excellent effect multiple times last year. Your midfield players are all excellent anyway but having so many of them meant PEH was chasing shadows and even the usually relatively relaxed Bentancaur was sloppy.

We've tried quite hard this summer with a relatively audacious move for Bastoni (to replace Davies as opposed to Dier though, who works more as the organiser) but couldn't get it through so have gone for Lenglet as a backup rather than panicking and dropping money on an unsuitable player. Great if we get Seville Lenglet, not so great if its Barca version....

If you can manage to get a clinical finisher in the next 2 weeks, think the squad will be formidable.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
Loftus is very solid and difficult to beat, a real player
But hasn't done one thing to note in all his Chelsea career. He was good today but it is really rare.. No telling pass etc though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yep all very true and as you say, shockingly little mention of this tactical switch, especially considering its one Tuchel used to such excellent effect multiple times last year. Your midfield players are all excellent anyway but having so many of them meant PEH was chasing shadows and even the usually relatively relaxed Bentancaur was sloppy.

We've tried quite hard this summer with a relatively audacious move for Bastoni (to replace Davies as opposed to Dier though, who works more as the organiser) but couldn't get it through so have gone for Lenglet as a backup rather than panicking and dropping money on an unsuitable player. Great if we get Seville Lenglet, not so great if its Barca version....

If you can manage to get a clinical finisher in the next 2 weeks, think the squad will be formidable.
Agreed mate - it's definitely amusing to some extent that our squads both realistically are lacking where the other's is strongest!

Didn't realise you were in for Bastoni but that'd make a lot of sense in my opinion. For me though if you could land Skriniar he'd take you to a whole different level (though admittedly he's played more as a RCB than a CCB, but I'd reckon his inherent nous and quality would translate to that role relatively seamlessly).

The flier on Lenglet is very sensible - for me there's every reason to think he's been stunted by the bizarre atmosphere at Barca for the past few years. For me though that deep-lying distributor is lacking - especially since PEH, Bentancur, and Bissouma aren't the most expansive of passers. Still think having someone with real threatening quality in that CM / CCB / CM triangle would elevate your team.

Regardless, I'd have been happy with a draw going into the game but am not so happy with a draw given the way the game went if that makes sense - no hard feelings against you or what you're building though! Genuinely thought there was a chance we might be smashed coming into today and that was a bit of an odd feeling.

Last edited:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
That was brilliant. Solved a lot of the tactical issues we were talking about with Silva paired with Azpi, and the negativity it creates.

BUT … it only makes me think Fofana or playing Chalobah instead is necessary. I need Reece to be in his best position.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I actually fancy Auba to do well for us if he came in. I said that about Lukaku and Werner, though

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
I actually fancy Auba to do well for us if he came in. I said that about Lukaku and Werner, though
Werner is a strange one but even though I was okay with the Lukaku signing, my only question was his adaptability to our system. And that was ultimately his undoing. Aubameyang scores for fun and is mobile enough to fit right in, which is the key. I think he could be huge for us in the short term.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I used to not rate him, specially after that horrible injury but gotta give credit to him. He's worked himself to a good level now and is very reliable for your team
He looked lost for a while after the injury. He said he didn’t trust himself to do certain moves. It’s hard to play well when you’re second guessing what you can do all the time. Buzzing to see the work Tuchel has done with him, using in different tactical setups and keep giving him chances.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That was brilliant. Solved a lot of the tactical issues we were talking about with Silva paired with Azpi, and the negativity it creates.

BUT … it only makes me think Fofana or playing Chalobah instead is necessary. I need Reece to be in his best position.
I think once we sign Fofana, Azpi will be relegated to pure depth and behind the scenes leader.

James will rotate with Fofana at RCB when tactics demand it and RLC will back up James at RWB, like we saw today.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think once we sign Fofana, Azpi will be relegated to pure depth and behind the scenes leader.

James will rotate with Fofana at RCB when tactics demand it and RLC will back up James at RWB, like we saw today.
I think it's still going under the radar just how brutal this season's schedule is. If we make a sustained go at all comps again it will make the restart feel like a light training session.

Plenty of minutes for everyone, i feel even the likes of Barkley/Kenedy if they stay will be required at some point.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Seems like fofana will enhance the team greatly. He brings height,aggression and pace to that back line. And that will free up bit of defensive duties from Reece and make him more aggressive to attack and take on players.

Because of slow defense he didn't want to get exposed.So why this slow build up and zero vertical movements.

He openly said he need more players in the opposition box when ball arrived but was reluctant to push players unless it's necessary. We will get that once defense sorted out.

I think fofana more important for us than striker or midfielder.We will see. We can easily switch to back four if fofana comes.

redcucumber

Ugh, I really like Thomas Tuchel. He doesn't have that annoying, slightly dislikeable factor that Klopp and Pep both have.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Good player. Shows you that good owners can really give big clubs a good chance of competing at the top. Obviously they still need a striker though.
He is, fee quoted is 40m, already turned down. Can almost be sure players will be involved the other way. Gilmour and Batshuayi weirdly mentioned.... I dont see Lamps wanting Batshuayi

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
He is, fee quoted is 40m, already turned down. Can almost be sure players will be involved the other way. Gilmour and Batshuayi weirdly mentioned.... I dont see Lamps wanting Batshuayi
He’s a touch desperate, and lobbing it up for counters after huddling like a turtle is about the best he can hope for honestly. Bats is actually pretty good for that sort of thing.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We're fecked.

It's not just about this twat having a stinker today. This cnut has cost us so many times it's beyond a joke. The people who appoint the officials are just putting him on our big games now because they are making a stance that they won't be bullied into not selecting this alien to referee us again.

Sviken

This is what this game should be about. Football has become too PC for me. Remember our matches against Arsenal at their peak? That was footballing entertainment at its finest. It's honestly very refreshing to see that kind of passion, so props to Conte and Tuchel.

FatTails

Pulisic is better than Gordon. What are you doing that for?
Pulisic is extremely overrated. Not a great finisher, not much intelligence on the ball, and pretty limited overall. It’s amazing how far being pacey can carry you. He’s done nothing noteworthy in a Chelsea shirt.

Dominos

I'd be surprised.

Last time he was in this league he couldn't score a goal for a long time, and his attitude was so bad Arteta had to banish him and leave themselves without another striker such was his negative influence. He's clearly way passed his prime, and doesn't seem as motivated any more, it would be a shock if he managed to rediscover his old self at the age of 33.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This is what this game should be about. Football has become too PC for me. Remember our matches against Arsenal at their peak? That was footballing entertainment at its finest. It's honestly very refreshing to see that kind of passion, so props to Conte and Tuchel.
Agreed. Feck the tippy tappy shit and being out run and gang banged by the likes of Brentford.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Pulisic is better than Gordon. What are you doing that for?
Tuchel can't able to rely on pulisic and ziyech. They are good players make no mistake but both either unlucky or failed to maintain their fitness.

It's recurring theme when they fit get regular games,gaining form and ready to hit top gear suddenly injury struck them down. Multiple times it happened.

It's better for them to leave pl in my opinion. They still be a very good players in less physical league for top teams.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Pulisic is extremely overrated. Not a great finisher, not much intelligence on the ball, and pretty limited overall. It’s amazing how far being pacey can carry you. He’s done nothing noteworthy in a Chelsea shirt.
Pulisic's first season at Chelsea (2019/20 under Lampard) was actually pretty good. He started out a little slow but the second half of the season he was amazing. Problem is he's never quite reached the same level again in the two years since so would guess it was just a rare purple patch for him. The injuries haven't helped of course.

I wouldn't say he's extremely overrated because in the last couple of years hardly anyone's rated him as anything special. He showed very good potential at age 18-21 but just never reached that next level. Even so, what makes anyone think Gordon would be any better?

Dr. StrangeHate

People overestimated Chelsea's supposed demise. They're comfortably the 3rd best side in the league.
Getting back to back brilliant football wise owners, having 1 billion injected into the club for free, and facing no repercussions for having a criminal owner is not something anyone thought is possible yet here we are.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Let me rephrase that - Gordon is worse than Pulisic. What are you doing that for?

Status
Not open for further replies.