Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Let me rephrase that - Gordon is worse than Pulisic. What are you doing that for?
No Chelsea supporter can figure it out either, man. We’re all just as dumbfounded as you are.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lost in all commotion yesterday is that Spurs have only won 1 game at the Bridge since 1990. Ironically the only Chelsea coach, who let Spurs beat us at home, in 33 years is Conte :lol:

LeVoyageur

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Chelsea need just e clinical striker and they can pretend even to win PL

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s really not that much different from signing some random boy from Brazil in all honesty. If his name was Gordinho some people wouldn’t question it, it’s just a simple matter that people have actually seen this boy play.

Do I agree with the price? Not really. But the market is truly fecked for the most part and bargains are not easy to find, part of the reason why we are now seeing a lot more free transfers than before.

My only criticism of him at this point is that he needs someone in his life to tell him that his hair dye is awful.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think it's still going under the radar just how brutal this season's schedule is. If we make a sustained go at all comps again it will make the restart feel like a light training session.

Plenty of minutes for everyone, i feel even the likes of Barkley/Kenedy if they stay will be required at some point.
Yeah but a game here and there is probably all those players will get. If RLC solidifies his role as RWB backup as well as being a very good deep depth option for the midfield (5th choice?), and If Fofana arrives, I'd imagine he and James will rotate with each other depending on the tactical situation, that would leave Azpi with very few opportunities to play. Yeah he could get a run out here and there, but he could end up with 10-12 appearances this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s really not that much different from signing some random boy from Brazil in all honesty. If his name was Gordinho some people wouldn’t question it, it’s just a simple matter that people have actually seen this boy play.

Do I agree with the price? Not really. But the market is truly fecked for the most part and bargains are not easy to find, part of the reason why we are now seeing a lot more free transfers than before.

My only criticism of him at this point is that he needs someone in his life to tell him that his hair dye is awful.
Is Gordon even better than some of the academy talent we can produce ourselves? I haven't seen him play that much but from what I've seen he's a decent player who is quick and runs a lot but I haven't seen anything particularly special about him.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t want Gordon at all. He’s average and he’s a diving cheat.

Patterson looks a talent and handling the defensive side better than I expected. Managed Sterling really well.

Everton don’t have a lot of talent though. Too many average players.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Tuchel’s tactical use of Loftus-Cheek is amazing, I have to say.
He’s used him very cleverly, and I think RLC is a very good player, big fan of him. The only downside for him is nailing down a regular spot, in part because of his versatility and because the players in front of him are so good.

If RLC is fine with the role then it’s a perfect situation for Chelsea, because he has a skill set where he can do so many things that he’s a perfect player to come in and fulfill tactical instructions from Tuchel. It’s just I think at teams like Arsenal, Spurs and United he’d have a decent chancenof

Pulisic is extremely overrated. Not a great finisher, not much intelligence on the ball, and pretty limited overall. It’s amazing how far being pacey can carry you. He’s done nothing noteworthy in a Chelsea shirt.
I wasn’t that impressed when he first came but he had a period where I thought he looked very good (I think after the Covid restart maybe?) and was really influential for them, but then tailed off form wise and kept picking up injuries

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t want Gordon at all. He’s average and he’s a diving cheat.

Patterson looks a talent and handling the defensive side better than I expected. Managed Sterling really well.

Everton don’t have a lot of talent though. Too many average players.
There is lot of difference to watch players from tv and on live directly. I admit me too didn't want him as he look like average player.

But if tuchel watched him directly in matches and wanted him then he saw something more than us.

Once again his all three signings look good and perfectly fitted in the system. So I think if he is tuchel s choice then so be it.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
wasn’t that impressed when he first came but he had a period where I thought he looked very good (I think after the Covid restart maybe?) and was really influential for them, but then tailed off form wise and kept picking up injuries
FA Cup final injury just done him as a chelsea player. He was awesome in that restart period. Don't know after that injury he lost a bit of pace and confidence.
What about Lukaku? Or was he a boardroom signing?
Rumour was Roman s son directly involved went to Italy for talks with Lukaku s agent and lukaku to bring him from inter under instructions from roman. Once roman put the club on sale he rarely started for us. And Cech tried to make Lukaku stay and talk positive about Lukaku chain reaction started.

Marina and buck relieved from the job and Cech resigned and boehly took over as sporting director role . So probably he was ex-board/roman signing in my opinion.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Rumour was Roman s son directly involved to bring him from inter under instructions from roman. Once roman put the club on sale he rarely started for us. And Cech tried to make Lukaku stay and talk positive about Lukaku chain reaction started.

Marina and buck relieved from the job and Cech resigned and boehly took over as sporting director role . So probably he was board signing in my opinion.
Wouldn’t be surprising, he never really seemed like a Tuchel type of signing

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I wasn’t that impressed when he first came but he had a period where I thought he looked very good (I think after the Covid restart maybe?) and was really influential for them, but then tailed off form wise and kept picking up injuries
I fell for it at the time but in hindsight it was the ultimate purple patch in the most strangest period of football history.

The following season i gave him the benefit of the doubt but the scales truly fell from my eyes last season, he'd have been the first attacker i'd have got shot of but depressingly (going by being the first sub yesterday and at Everton) we appear to be one injury away from him starting again.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hate to say but Reece James - what a player.
Honestly, he's just so good. He had Son in his pocket all game, and then created a sitter for Havertz and scored a goal himself within 5 minutes of switching from RCB to RWB.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fantastic deal this, if we can pull it off.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Rumour is chelsea look to extend tuchel contract for two more years. Talks are on going between tuchel s representatives and chelsea.

Great if true boehly group already gave a huge thumbs up for tuchel in transfers.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
He was immense during that period but either side of it he's probably had 6+ leg/hamstring injuries. He's completely lost his acceleration and strength to hold up the ball. Similarly, it happened with RLC and Callum. They both lost acceleration and had some muscular atrophy after achilles injuries. Callum had a great period, got injured, and hasn't looked the same since. RLC had a great season under Sarri and it took until last season before we saw signs of him getting back to his old self.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Signing/signed another midfielder for what seems a decent fee
That's three teenagers signed for significant fees this summer. Carney Chukwuemeka, Cesare Casadei and the young goalie Gabriel Slonina put together have cost the club somewhere around £35-40M in initial fees plus potential future bonuses.

All well and good if there's still enough money in the budget to address some more pressing concerns in the first team squad but I wouldn't expect any of the teenage signings to feature in the first team this season, aside from at most a few domestic cup appearances here and there.

The three players have all signed six year deals, assuming the Casadei signing goes through as planned, so maybe the idea is to have them training in or around the first team squad this season and maybe a couple of seasons out on loan to see how they develop before even thinking of fully integrating them into the squad. Slonina of course is still out on loan till January to complete the MLS season but should be joining the club in the winter.

To me it looks like the club are planning to go back to the direction we were heading in the 'Michael Emenalo era' when lots of promising young talents were signed early for what in hindsight were very decent fees. Back then the club signed the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah and Courtois in quick succession but as well all know, in the end only Courtois really made it at the club. The transfer market is getting more and more ridiculous every day when the going rate for players who have one decent season under their belt (ie. Anthony Gordon) is already at the £50M mark so it kind of makes sense to try and scout these players early and then have them developed for a while out on loan. If even some of them make it and join the first team squad, it's already going to be a 'net profit' even if the rest turn out to be duds who never quite develop as expected.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
That's three teenagers signed for significant fees this summer. Carney Chukwuemeka, Cesare Casadei and the young goalie Gabriel Slonina put together have cost the club somewhere around £35-40M in initial fees plus potential future bonuses.

All well and good if there's still enough money in the budget to address some more pressing concerns in the first team squad but I wouldn't expect any of the teenage signings to feature in the first team this season, aside from at most a few domestic cup appearances here and there.

The three players have all signed six year deals, assuming the Casadei signing goes through as planned, so maybe the idea is to have them training in or around the first team squad this season and maybe a couple of seasons out on loan to see how they develop before even thinking of fully integrating them into the squad. Slonina of course is still out on loan till January to complete the MLS season but should be joining the club in the winter.

To me it looks like the club are planning to go back to the direction we were heading in the 'Michael Emenalo era' when lots of promising young talents were signed early for what in hindsight were very decent fees. Back then the club signed the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah and Courtois in quick succession but as well all know, in the end only Courtois really made it at the club. The transfer market is getting more and more ridiculous every day when the going rate for players who have one decent season under their belt (ie. Anthony Gordon) is already at the £50M mark so it kind of makes sense to try and scout these players early and then have them developed for a while out on loan. If even some of them make it and join the first team squad, it's already going to be a 'net profit' even if the rest turn out to be duds who never quite develop as expected.
While I can’t say I know anything about any of them, in the current market and foreseeable future, these sums are insignificant. With Kante and Jorginho in particular being over 30 the club is clearly trying to be in a position to have a seamless transition.

If they do not work out then no problem, we spent enough on 3 players that a average player is currently going for. I for one prefer that we at least try to develop someone than sign a “Drinkwater” type player who wouldn’t even get many minutes anyway.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
While I can’t say I know anything about any of them, in the current market and foreseeable future, these sums are insignificant. With Kante and Jorginho in particular being over 30 the club is clearly trying to be in a position to have a seamless transition.

If they do not work out then no problem, we spent enough on 3 players that a average player is currently going for. I for one prefer that we at least try to develop someone than sign a “Drinkwater” type player who wouldn’t even get many minutes anyway.
Oh yes absolutely I agree that these deals are a good kind of gamble to make. No guarantees any of them will eventually be good enough to play first team football at Chelsea but unless they flop tremendously they should at the very least be sold for some decent enough fees a few years later on. If even one of them makes it, it's already worth it and more.

It's also worth mentioning that the three deals mentioned only represent the most high profile young talent additions the club have made this summer. In addition the club have also raided the academies of other English clubs for the likes of Omari Hutchinson, Zak Sturge and Eddie Beach from Arsenal, Brighton and Southampton respectively so under Boehly's leadership it's become clear the club are aiming to get lots of talented youngsters in the door early and then try to see if some of them develop to be good enough to play for us. Add to that the academy already being one of the best in the country at developing their own young players.

Neil Bath the head of youth development at Chelsea must be very pleased with this direction and is sure to be the driving force behind these deals.

Abraxas

Anthony Gordon for these fees is a weird one. I don't think he's shown anything that remotely justifies it.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Anthony Gordon for these fees is a weird one. I don't think he's shown anything that remotely justifies it.
I wrote about it in the newbie forums but maybe Tuchel and the scouts are seeing something in him the rest of us aren't. His numbers at Everton seem underwhelming but maybe there are some metrics that suggest he'd be a good tactical fit for Tuchel and that he'd be able to make the step up when playing with better team mates in a possession-based system instead of playing in a relegation battle team who play on the counter.

Diogo Jota for example didn't seem all that great when playing for Wolves but was almost instantly elevated to a new level at Liverpool. It's been said Chelsea under the Boehly regime are taking notes from Liverpool's approach and plan to start using more data-driven analytics to scout players so perhaps the pursuit of Gordon is a result of something like that?

I do agree that to me he's looked nothing like a £50M player whenever I've watched Everton, which granted is not that often. He's shown a lot of promise but for that kind of money you'd expect to get a finished article which Gordon doesn't even remotely seem to be. Either it's a master plan that in hindsight will look brilliant with Gordon taking huge leaps in his development quickly after joining, or the club's recruitment people (including Tuchel btw.) will end up looking very silly. That is, of course assuming he's signed in the first place.

Reactions: SilentWitness

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely.
It feels like a random lottery pick.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I wrote about it in the newbie forums but maybe Tuchel and the scouts are seeing something in him the rest of us aren't. His numbers at Everton seem underwhelming but maybe there are some metrics that suggest he'd be a good tactical fit for Tuchel and that he'd be able to make the step up when playing with better team mates in a possession-based system instead of playing in a relegation battle team who play on the counter.

Diogo Jota for example didn't seem all that great when playing for Wolves but was almost instantly elevated to a new level at Liverpool. It's been said Chelsea under the Boehly regime are taking notes from Liverpool's approach and plan to start using more data-driven analytics to scout players so perhaps the pursuit of Gordon is a result of something like that?

I do agree that to me he's looked nothing like a £50M player whenever I've watched Everton, which granted is not that often. He's shown a lot of promise but for that kind of money you'd expect to get a finished article which Gordon doesn't even remotely seem to be. Either it's a master plan that in hindsight will look brilliant with Gordon taking huge leaps in his development quickly after joining, or the club's recruitment people (including Tuchel btw.) will end up looking very silly. That is, of course assuming he's signed in the first place.
The three metrics for wingers he was excellent last season. He was top ten in attempted dribbles, good at successful dribble percentage and very good in dispossessing opponents in attacking third.

All indicates he is very much a tuchel type player. He is versatile and can play both wings. Have high energy and work rate. Tuchel try to pick these kind of players since start of this window, player who can fill very well in multiple positions.

If tuchel think he will be good for our setup i am all in for him.Players like ziyech and pulisic losing out on almost every duel it's high time we need to change the personal who is fit for tuchel s high pressing high energy players.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive

Don’t think Jota is a good comparison to Gordon. He’d scored over 40 goals for Wolves and looked good player.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Always been a huge fan of this guy, whoever the feck he is.
Me too. Brilliant signing.

Italian colleague and most avid Milan fanatic told me he‘s a real talent. That’s more than enough for me.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Don’t think Jota is a good comparison to Gordon. He’d scored over 40 goals for Wolves and looked good player.
Almost half of them when Wolves were in the Championship though, and he was a couple years older than Gordon is now so a slightly different phase in their career development. But that's not the point. The point was that while he may have been considered a decent (or even good) player, to most people he didn't look like a proper top player based on his performances for Wolves. I remember seeing a lot of hot takes about the Jota signing that ended up looking very silly very soon when he made the move to Liverpool and seemed to ascend to a different level almost overnight. Could say the same about a few Liverpool signings in the FSG/Klopp era to be fair.

Whether Gordon can make a similar step up is pretty much anyone's guess at this point and I too am a bit sceptical myself but just trying to find a reasoning as to why the club are after him, that's all.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If I'm Chelsea I'd take a look at Napoli's Osimhen. They do need a new proper striker otherwise they're gonna struggle for goals.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If I'm Chelsea I'd take a look at Napoli's Osimhen. They do need a new proper striker otherwise they're gonna struggle for goals.
Napoli are one of the most difficult clubs in the world to deal with. And he has only been there for 1 season. Even if we offered mega money for him their chairman De Laurentiis would turn it down.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
How has he done at Napoli, not followed him much but always see him linked away.

Realistically i think it'll be Auba. Plus Gordon and fofana to end window

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Gordon is a good dribbler from what I've seen, I rate him. The fee is stupid obviously but he can play. My Chelsea supporting mate has also been banging on about how he "pressed like his mother's life depended on it" when they played each other.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah or figuring out how to buy Abraham back....or we should probably pursue him as well.
We will sign stop gap for striker if sign anyone at all. Osimhen won't come even if he wanted to it will require more than 100 mn bid to convince Napoli president to come to talks. So it's total waste of time.

Tuchel seems to want false nine to control the game over all. Havertz,broja and sterling all capable to play that role.

We will give genuine game time to broja this time.Rumour is we want to sign longer term contracts with mount,Reece and of course broja.

Status
Not open for further replies.