Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkaAkuma

Any Brighton players he’ll return for?

think Trossard and Lamptey would fill some spots well. Ofcourse Caceido - I think despite the numbers in midfield that’s where the problems lay.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

think Trossard and Lamptey would fill some spots well. Ofcourse Caceido - I think despite the numbers in midfield that’s where the problems lay.
Lamptey left Chelsea because of Reece James. He's not coming back anytime soon.

Maybe the goalie in the summer?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Caicedo i think.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

This is crazy by the owners surely? I can only assume there’s some huge issues behind the scenes. Tuchel hasn’t looked happy all summer and his pre season interviews and the one from last night were quite concerning.

What I don’t understand now is they’ve literally spent a fortune buying players for Tuchel and his system, including a late deal to reunite him with Aubamayang, now this? Utterly bizarre. There seems no plan or strategy behind the scenes?

There’s been talk of extending Tuchel and that Boehly likes stability for a while and now this early on.

@WeePat @TheMagicFoolBus @Mb194dc

Interested to hear your thoughts as this seems totally out of the blue.
Late to the party but for me it's madness. Tuchel is arguably the best coach we've ever had in my opinion, and based on the summer business he seemed inextricable from the team being built.

That said, it is fair to point out that many of our players have stagnated of late and the distribution of minutes has shaded towards older players, which is a bad combination. That Potter has been handed a 5 year deal is encouraging - and if firing Tuchel is the premise from which we are starting then Potter is and was the only acceptable replacement for me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Been on holiday for the past couple weeks sans a computer so I'll not deny I was a bit leery of signing back on here given all the news!

That said I hope I wasn't overly dismissive or rude towards your (now obviously) spot on take. Happy to take my medicine and give you all the credit in the world on this one.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Been on holiday for the past couple weeks sans a computer so I'll not deny I was a bit leery of signing back on here given all the news!

That said I hope I wasn't overly dismissive or rude towards your (now obviously) spot on take. Happy to take my medicine and give you all the credit in the world on this one.
Haha thanks. Was just a good guess.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not sure why people are drawing comparisons between Ed Woodward and Boehly. If the new ownership had a vision for the club and Tuchel did not align with it(maybe they gave him some benefit of the doubt initially but later deemed him to be a lost cause) then what's the issue? Chelsea were anyways not going anywhere under Tuchel. They have not been anything like they were during his first 6 months.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
The same as selling Gilmour to Potter then appointing Potter.
The irony that Boehly knew he was going after Potter when he tried to talk Gilmour out of leaving … but couldn’t tell him.

Gilmour left because Tuchel called him in for a meeting and told him he needed to leave.

The ownership group, and Boehly, only found out afterward, and Boehly immediately went and tried to talk him out of it. But it did t work because Tuchel had told him he would not play him, even with all the injuries.

They did not want Gilmour to leave. In fact, when Tuchel assured then we were “set” in midfield, Gilmour was one of the bodies Tuchel counted.

Im guessing Boehly couldn’t come out and say “hold on, we are firing Tuchel and bringing Potter here, so this would be ridiculous” …for all we know that could have scuppered a very quiet and well executed plan.

Both sad and fascinating really.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This would be interesting, as previously the reports were we were monitoring Paul Mitchell for the DoF role. Although I’m sure there are multiple “potential targets”.

TheReligion

Abusive
The irony that Boehly knew he was going after Potter when he tried to talk Gilmour out of leaving … but couldn’t tell him.

Gilmour left because Tuchel called him in for a meeting and told him he needed to leave.

The ownership group, and Boehly, only found out afterward, and Boehly immediately went and tried to talk him out of it. But it did t work because Tuchel had told him he would not play him, even with all the injuries.

They did not want Gilmour to leave. In fact, when Tuchel assured then we were “set” in midfield, Gilmour was one of the bodies Tuchel counted.

Im guessing Boehly couldn’t come out and say “hold on, we are firing Tuchel and bringing Potter here, so this would be ridiculous” …for all we know that could have scuppered a very quiet and well executed plan.

Both sad and fascinating really.
Sorry I don’t buy that Boehly knew he was sacking Tuchel and appointing Potter but couldn’t tell Gilmour so sold him anyway.

Makes zero sense. The flip side would be Potter buying a player he really likes knowing he’d be leaving and wouldn’t be working with him.

cyberman

It’s a mess. I’m also having none of these secret football people telling him how to operate a huge club like Chelsea without getting a wage.

justsomebloke

Can't see him going back for Lamptey, considering how relatively sparingly he used him at Brighton. Trossard might be a nice fit in some respects, but does he have the quality to earn regular playing time in that squad?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Bohely or whatever it is looks like he can be an evil villain in Austin Powers. I dont trust the man, I think Chelsea will get worse as time goes on.

Shinjch

If that Gilmour stuff is true then it is beyond embarrassing for Chelsea, they seem like a total mess of an operation.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho and Ancelotti are above him.
Mourinho is tainted by his second stint, wherein he made absurd transfer decisions, nearly ruined Hazard, and fell out with everyone. Ancelotti has a better CV but Tuchel was better for Chelsea in my opinion. Especially if the poise and grace he showed during the sanction clusterfeck is taken into account.

largelyworried

If that Gilmour stuff is true then it is beyond embarrassing for Chelsea, they seem like a total mess of an operation.
Its odd. If they wanted to keep Gilmour and were expecting to get rid of Tuchel, why sell him for £9M? They should have charged Brighton triple & claimed they just couldn't agree a deal when Brighton said no. Seems like they just knee jerked and are trying to PR their way out it.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Mourinho is tainted by his second stint, wherein he made absurd transfer decisions, nearly ruined Hazard, and fell out with everyone. Ancelotti has a better CV but Tuchel was better for Chelsea in my opinion. Especially if the poise and grace he showed during the sanction clusterfeck is taken into account.
Mourinho still won the PL in his second stint and the League Cup, Tuchel's only major honour is the CL, which is countered by Mourinho's PL title. Which along with his first stint means Morurinho was much better than Tuchel at Chelsea.

Ancelotti won the PL and FA Cup for Chelsea, which is also better than Tuchel's return. So how does that make Tuchel better for Chelsea?

Tuchel did nothing of note under the sanction though, Lampard did a good job with a transfer ban, that part is cluthing at straws as a reason for him being better than Mourinho or Ancelotti.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Debatable. For me, Mourinho and Ancelotti are the top 2 managers of my lifetime but in terms of impact at Chelsea, Tuchel isn't far behind Carlo. Neither is Conte for that matter.
For me, our best ever football was played under Ancelotti. We scored some absolute belters and some outstanding team goals and it’s backed up by the sheer amount of records we broke. His sacking was, by far, more devastating and less deserving than Tuchel.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry I don’t buy that Boehly knew he was sacking Tuchel and appointing Potter but couldn’t tell Gilmour so sold him anyway.

Makes zero sense. The flip side would be Potter buying a player he really likes knowing he’d be leaving and wouldn’t be working with him.
I’m just going off the timeline Romano, Law and others gave. Even if they did know, they couldn’t tell Gilmour. And Brighton has a DoF, so getting a talent like Gilmour in for 9m seems like a no brainer either way.

Gilmours sale was on deadline day, only 6 days prior to the firing. People are arguing whether we knew weeks ahead of the firing, or up to a month. The middle ground conclusion is that the final decision was made around the time of the Leeds defeat, considering Boehly and Tuchel did not speak after that until the firing.

Everyone conceded the decision was made prior to the last few fixtures and deadline day itself. Which means Boehly knew when he went to talk to Gilmour.

Boehly didn’t fire Tuchel and then go talking to people hoping to find a manager. Romano has Boehlys fixation set on Potter back during the Cucurella deal. That day after when people were trying to talk about Poch or Zidane … they very quickly gave up and admitted they were set on Potter. Brighton never made a single “Potter is the Brighton manager” statement, or even angry statements about Chelsea poaching their guy right at the beginning of the season, at least that I could find. Even with a buyout clause that is strangely cordial unless there was already an understanding in place.

Now… given the resources Chelsea has would Gilmour be still be Potters choice? I think it affects Gilmour more than Potter. The issue with Gilmour was Tuchel telling us we had all the midfield coverage we needed, and THEN telling us to sell Gilmour. Gilmour received a squad number and was part of our plans, and then suddenly was demanding to be sold because Tuchel decided to tell him he would never play him … right before the window closed. So not so much the sale, but the circumstances of the sale.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m just going off the timeline Romano, Law and others gave. Even if they did know, they couldn’t tell Gilmour. And Brighton has a DoF, so getting a talent like Gilmour in for 9m seems like a no brainer either way.

Gilmours sale was on deadline day, only 6 days prior to the firing. People are arguing whether we knew weeks ahead of the firing, or up to a month. The middle ground conclusion is that the final decision was made around the time of the Leeds defeat, considering Boehly and Tuchel did not speak after that until the firing.

Everyone conceded the decision was made prior to the last few fixtures and deadline day itself. Which means Boehly knew when he went to talk to Gilmour.

Boehly didn’t fire Tuchel and then go talking to people hoping to find a manager. Romano has Boehlys fixation set on Potter back during the Cucurella deal. That day after when people were trying to talk about Poch or Zidane … they very quickly gave up and admitted they were set on Potter. Brighton never made a single “Potter is the Brighton manager” statement, or even angry statements about Chelsea poaching their guy right at the beginning of the season, at least that I could find. Even with a buyout clause that is strangely cordial unless there was already an understanding in place.

Now… given the resources Chelsea has would Gilmour be still be Potters choice? I think it affects Gilmour more than Potter. The issue with Gilmour was Tuchel telling us we had all the midfield coverage we needed, and THEN telling us to sell Gilmour. Gilmour received a squad number and was part of our plans, and then suddenly was demanding to be sold because Tuchel decided to tell him he would never play him … right before the window closed. So not so much the sale, but the circumstances of the sale.
Potter said himself in his statement he had no idea he’d be leaving as late as the Leicester game so I very much doubt all of that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho still won the PL in his second stint and the League Cup, Tuchel's only major honour is the CL, which is countered by Mourinho's PL title. Which along with his first stint means Morurinho was much better than Tuchel at Chelsea.

Ancelotti won the PL and FA Cup for Chelsea, which is also better than Tuchel's return. So how does that make Tuchel better for Chelsea?

Tuchel did nothing of note under the sanction though, Lampard did a good job with a transfer ban, that part is cluthing at straws as a reason for him being better than Mourinho or Ancelotti.
It's a bit of a joke trophy but Tuchel also won the CWC, which had previously eluded us. The Supercup as well (granted that one is even more of a joke).

Tuchel reached every domestic cup final he was able to during his time at Chelsea. The only cup final he failed to reach at Chelsea was the CL final in his second year, where we put up one of the best performances we've ever managed in the competition against the eventual winners.

Also I'd very gladly swap the PL Mourinho won in 14/15 if it meant we kept De Bruyne, Salah, and Lukaku. I'm not solely looking at this in terms of trophy haul.

I would also strongly disagree that Tuchel did "nothing of note" under the sanctions. He was thrown into an extremely untenable position as the de facto spokesman of the club whilst going through a divorce and he did an extraordinary job of keeping the team together and finishing the season on a positive note.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
For me, our best ever football was played under Ancelotti. We scored some absolute belters and some outstanding team goals and it’s backed up by the sheer amount of records we broke. His sacking was, by far, more devastating and less deserving than Tuchel.
If I had to Hazard a guess he was sacked because he was appointed for his UCL pedigree and couldn't even match ANY of his predecessors best efforts in that competition and not only that we were rolled over with ease in both seasons when eliminated (compare the tame way Inter and far from vintage United knocked us out to how we went out kicking and screaming vs Barca under Hiddink, night and day).

If you fail with the main task you were appointed for you will be in trouble even if you do well in other aspects.

Whether it's right or not is another argument, but that's my guess, that and maybe wanting Torres maybe contributed to his downfall (Wilkins confirmed as much).

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Potter said himself in his statement he had no idea he’d be leaving as late as the Leicester game so I very much doubt all of that.
All the ridiculous notions of the logistics that would be involved in hiring the coach of a current PL team in under 48 hrs without even a protest tweet from the other club … I wouldn’t expect Potter to admit to anything even if you had time stamped photos of him sitting across from Boehly at a table.

How about this: if he had zero idea… then how did the people close to Chelsea accurately report Potters Brighton guy as our new head scout and which assistants were coming with him BEFORE Potter technically interviewed in London. Just saying ….

For that matter, why did we pick that particular time the week before to fire our head scout? Did the fact that his person taking the job was one of his “conditions” end up being just coincidence?

Teams (including our team this Summer) will go all the way through different processes with a player using whatever means they can, and when it falls through they’re just like “don’t know what you’re talking about, we never even bid on ‘x’ player”.

It’s all semantics. I don’t buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.