Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is spot on. People don’t really talk about how badly Chelsea fell off. They used to be an unbelievable club who never accepted anything less than top spot. That club is dead now. If this was 2005 Chelsea would’ve done something crazy like bid 100m for Salah.
I think that’s very dramatic but do agree with the principle.

Chelsea have dropped off in terms of the league and seem pretty far away from Liverpool and City. Irrespective of how everyone else is doing they’ve certainly let things slip and the majority of their recent recruitment moves have been poor to underwhelming. Roman helped paper over that though and that’s where it will be interesting from here on in.

TheLord

I think Liverpool will fall off this season to a close third, we will finish a distant fourth, Chelsea will finish a distant second to a steam-rolling City side.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I think that’s very dramatic but do agree with the principle.

Chelsea have dropped off in terms of the league and seem pretty far away from Liverpool and City. Irrespective of how everyone else is doing they’ve certainly let things slip and the majority of their recent recruitment moves have been poor to underwhelming. Roman helped paper over that though and that’s where it will be interesting from here on in.
We made poor decisions in the transfer market but I don’t believe that was any individuals fault. We simply spent the best part of 10 years creating the best academy in England and first team signings were clearly not a priority. A big signing or two to keep the manager happy.

TheReligion

Abusive

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Really?!

Because I'd argue that's exactly what we've been for the last five years. Did you not notice the season when Jorginho was our top scorer in the league?

We're a 65/70 point team and player recruitment has massively failed for us in the last five years. The transfer ban actually worked in our favour and stopped us from having another window like the Bakayoko/Drinkwater/Mortata/Zappacosta one.

The moment we got to spend, we largely bought players who have underwhelmed, and even when we wheeled and dealed, we effectively gave up Tammy, Guehi, Tomori and Livramento for Lukaku.

If we abandoned our current strategy (whatever the hell it is) and actually spent money sensibly in future/this window, then I can only see us progressing because the nucleus of the squad is good enough - it just needs the right additions, and not just random additions who don't fit how we play.
In the past five years you've won the league and the champions league. So no not quite the same. But I suppose going in the general direction.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I expect this is the beginning of Chelsea returning to the level they were at pre roman, under Gullit and vialli. Good team to have in the league, not really challenging for the highest honours. Bit like Tottenham.
Seven home wins in a row vs Liverpool?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I expect this is the beginning of Chelsea returning to the level they were at pre roman, under Gullit and vialli. Good team to have in the league, not really challenging for the highest honours. Bit like Tottenham.
I suspect you'll be proven wrong on that one, mate. That narrative that we will fall away into a top 7/8 fight is absolute madness.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
There's loads of rumours about using the centre back situation as a chance to move to a back 4, playing with a false 9, moving James to CB, playing Mount deeper. It's all speculation, nobody apart from Tommy and his coaches has a clue.
Absolutely not. That would be an utter waste of his abilities. Tuchel better throw that idea right in the bin.

Its an interesting window ahead of us, and I still think we will see Sterling in our side next season

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely not. That would be an utter waste of his abilities. Tuchel better throw that idea right in the bin.

Its an interesting window ahead of us, and I still think we will see Sterling in our side next season
For 20 mn it's ok but city expect minimum 50 mn and for that money i doubt we will go for him with his wages also must be high.

Gazza

Getting my bingo slots in early :D
:lol:

TBF it will be interesting to see how Chelsea move forward without Lukaku, whether they just go back to how they were before or they enter the transfer market. Lukaku is definitely not the only Chelsea striker to have struggled over the years.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I see people still predicting gloom and doom. I think those that think we will fall are going to be sorely disappointed. Based on how the owners run the Dodgers and the core of the players we have, that will have new players added. Not just purchased but a few academy players coming into their own.

Be sure to watch us on Tuesday and Wednesday nights!

TheReligion

Abusive
I see people still predicting gloom and doom. I think those that think we will fall are going to be sorely disappointed. Based on how the owners run the Dodgers and the core of the players we have, that will have new players added. Not just purchased but a few academy players coming into their own.

It’s some of your own fans predicting it so not sure why they’d be disappointed

Teja

I mean you'll still finish top four - depends if you think that's doom and gloom or not.

I don't think Tuchel has what it takes to beat Pep / Klopp.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I can't see who will finish third above Tuchel. Conte probably still doesn't have the players to do that.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I mean you'll still finish top four - depends if you think that's doom and gloom or not.

I don't think Tuchel has what it takes to beat Pep / Klopp.
with the way Man City and Liverpool are loading up this window, it is not realistic to think we will get past them this coming season. Aston Villa and Arsenal are making some moves. So far it has been a depressing window, I hope it picks up soon. I do think we have a solid core of players that will get better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sterling is a fantastic deal, attacker who is goal threat all the time.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Still seeing Chelsea linked to Hakimi which would be terribly exciting - elite on either flank and could potentially allow us to play James more as a CM, which is a tantalising prospect.

Is this really on? Where will he play given the wing backs and such?
Lots of rumblings that it's done for ~£35m. He'd play left wing, ostensibly as an upgrade to Werner / Pulisic. Chilwell is very good at both over- and under-lapping, which would suit Sterling as he also varies between playing out wide and in the channel (unlike someone like, say, Sane).

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
there has been a lot of talk of a transition to a 4-4-2 which Tuchel has preferred in the past.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
there has been a lot of talk of a transition to a 4-4-2 which Tuchel has preferred in the past.
Can't see that happening unless we get Rice. Tuchel's a pretty strict devotee to the 3-2 buildup structure like Guardiola is - the reason we play 3ATB is because we don't have a physically imposing CM to drop into the backline when we are in possession.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Well he would play in one of the inside forward positions. Despite him being an absolutely terrible finisher (like all of our other forwards) he does get a lot of them.

I certainly wouldn’t want to defend against a team playing with Werner and Sterling. They’d constantly be breaking defensive lines. But the finishing would give me nightmares…

TheReligion

Abusive
Well he would play in one of the inside forward positions. Despite him being an absolutely terrible finisher (like all of our other forwards) he does get a lot of them.

I certainly wouldn’t want to defend against a team playing with Werner and Sterling. They’d constantly be breaking defensive lines. But the finishing would give me nightmares…
Yeah I was just about to say this. He isn’t the ruthless finisher you need. Good player no doubt, and good numbers, but that’s in a city team that drop the ball across the box for FIFA style tap ins.

Remember the geese

Well then that's terribly disappointing and repeating same mistakes by your board as in the past. Backing mediocre managers won't take you to top.
There is absolutely no guarantee that we will finish any higher than 6th. If things click quickly, we can finish as high as 3rd. However, it is equally as likely that we finish outside the top 4. As long as we can see clear signs that a progressive system is being implemented, then ten Hag will have a relatively free hit next season.

Last edited:

Tuchel will be gone by summer. He would be gone by Christmas if not for the fact the new owners won't want to rock the boat too much early doors.

In a few years they will be back to mid table averageness. Maybe with a cup run here and there.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
There is absolutely no guarantee that we will finish any higher than 6th. If things click quickly, we can finish as high as 3rd. However, it is equally as likely that we finish outside the top 4. As long as we can see clear signs that a progressive system is being implemented, then ten Hag will have a relatively free hit next season.
That's what make you stand in this stage. You give your manager premium salary you have to demand the best. If not it will become harder and harder. Good luck with this approach.

Remember the geese

That's what make you stand in this stage. You give your manager premium salary you have to demand the best. If not it will become harder and harder. Good luck with this approach.
Why would there be a guarantee of us finishing higher than 6th? Ok we may finish above Arsenal, but the top two are out of reach and yourselves and Spurs are no mugs. We can finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel will be gone by summer. He would be gone by Christmas if not for the fact the new owners won't want to rock the boat too much early doors.

In a few years they will be back to mid table averageness. Maybe with a cup run here and there.
Logic behind this? Why would the new owners get rid of Tuchel? Unless you mean he'll quit due to lack of ambition?

Wouldn't surprise me if we turn in to Arsenal (or Utd, or Liverpool)... The new owners will absolutely be happy with 4th every season as it keeps the CL money coming on. That's all Tuchel has to do and be media friendly, which he is.

Pressure is very much off Tuchel with the new owners.

Logic behind this? Why would the new owners get rid of Tuchel? Unless you mean he'll quit due to lack of ambition?

Wouldn't surprise me if we turn in to Arsenal (or Utd, or Liverpool)... The new owners will absolutely be happy with 4th every season as it keeps the CL money coming on. That's all Tuchel has to do and be media friendly, which he is.

Pressure is very much off Tuchel with the new owners.
I don't rate him that highly. I think they will be fighting for top 6 at best and the owners will have bought into the Premier League and Champions League powerhouse sales pitch, it won't be enough for them, at least until they get used to it. They will give him a decent transfer fund this summer and won't be happy when it doesn't get their expected results.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't rate him that highly. I think they will be fighting for top 6 at best and the owners will have bought into the Premier League and Champions League powerhouse sales pitch, it won't be enough for them, at least until they get used to it. They will give him a decent transfer fund this summer and won't be happy when it doesn't get their expected results.
If anything based on their time in MLB their MO is to stick with poor managers longer than they should otherwise. Also don't think there is anyone out there who's obviously an upgrade on Tuchel who would be a viable alternative.

Tuchel has as much job security as any Chelsea manager has ever had since Abramovich took over.

If anything based on their time in MLB their MO is to stick with poor managers longer than they should otherwise. Also don't think there is anyone out there who's obviously an upgrade on Tuchel who would be a viable alternative.

Tuchel has as much job security as any Chelsea manager has ever had since Abramovich took over.
That's not exactly hard :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.