Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
But that IS the clubs history now. Many or most of these clubs will never attract top talent and keep them for a career. Ajax is a major team, with a huge fanbase. They want to seriously compete in champions league, and sometimes do. BUT at this point they know 2 to 3 years is what they get with their best talents. And if the talents aren’t good enough to attract that interest they have probably had their place in the Ajax squad taken anyway. Is that incorrect?

Fanbases adapt to this. Going back to the baseball example: the Durham Bulls fans get excited to see the new talents coming through. It’s part of their identity.

Fans go into the season with the excitement of possibly being surprised by the next big thing in world football.

Is that worse than to get the same or poorer results with older, lower quality players that stay at the club an avg of 2 to 3 years longer?
The new Chelsea fans are so much worse than the @duffers of this world. Such a distorted view of football. The added Americanisation of it is tragic.

redcucumber

A few Chelsea fans were pretty sure Michael Edwards was on the way - seems odd he wouldn't go for it if it was offered to him. This fella from RB Salzburg seems like he's got a good track record so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Hitsu

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.espn.com.au/football/ma...o-take-majority-stake-in-italian-club-palermo

"CFG is one of the most powerful names in football and the majority owner of City, New York City FC, and Melbourne City. It is a holding company, with 78% owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group and minority stakes owned by American firm Silver Lake and Chinese firms China Media Capital and CITIC Capital. The group has also invested money in Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan, Montevideo City Torque in Uruguay, Girona in Spain, Sichuan Jiuniu in China, Mumbai City in India, Lommel SK in Belgium and Troyes in France. Serie B team Palermo have now been added to that list. The Sicilians went bankrupt in 2019 and began again as a phoenix club in Serie D, the fourth-tier of Italian football."

Melbourne City was actually Melbourne Heart when they were taken over, they'd only been around for a few years though and CFG pumped some big money into their training facilities.

I understand why they want to go down this path but I think it depends how it plays out and definitely not if it's about completely wiping out a team's identity.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
A few Chelsea fans were pretty sure Michael Edwards was on the way - seems odd he wouldn't go for it if it was offered to him. This fella from RB Salzburg seems like he's got a good track record so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
Every report I read on Michael Edwards said there was no chance of him coming to Chelsea and he is taking an extended break from football.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He said many times that he wanted to take time off football after leaving Liverpool - reportedly despite that Chelsea tried everything to convince him to join and whilst he was interested ultimately he opted to stick with his plans for a break.

This guy has been tier 1 for Chelsea since the takeover.

Teja

Well, they seem to be doing the right things. This is how I'd do it if I were setting up a proper club. The choice of a DoF is a pretty big one and this guy isn't a very well known figure, so I can only hope they got it wrong.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Well, they seem to be doing the right things. This is how I'd do it if I were setting up a proper club. The choice of a DoF is a pretty big one and this guy isn't a very well known figure, so I can only hope they got it wrong.
Well nothing will be perfect in real life. There is always 50-50 for success and failure. I am not sure they will make any decision right since new regime sacked tuchel.

Hope things will work out in our favour but feel not much optimistic.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Christoph Freund is 'not a well known figure' only if you're only looking at things from inside the bubble of the EPL and the few elite clubs in other leagues.

Salzburg are a wonderfully run club and since Freund has been their DoF they've gone from running their transfer business at a net loss to trading players for an overall net spend of around +400M€ and played a big part in identifying and bringing in players like Haaland, Mane, Slobozslai, Adeyemi, Laimer, Naby Keita, Upamecano etc. who have blossomed at Salzburg and before moving on to bigger and better things at top clubs. One could also argue that the profits they've made would have been even bigger if they didn't sell a lot of their top players to RB Leipzig at a 'same club ownership value' and instead could get full market prices from other clubs.

The RB clubs Salzburg and Leipzig have some of the best data-driven scouting departments in world football and Freund has had a big role in building that up so the hope is that he can bring that knowledge and experience to Chelsea as well, and maybe even poach some great employees to make the move with him.

That being said, at Chelsea he's going to have a very different challenge because instead of just unearthing some hidden gems for peanuts that can be later sold for profit he'll also need to identify and acquire ready-made top players who can improve our first team immediately and that is something he still lacks experience of. It can also be a lot harder to get fair deals for those unknown developing young players when the selling clubs know you have the resources of a Chelsea and not just those of a Salzburg so it's a whole different ball game for him if/when he makes the move. Remains to be seen how he gets on but everything points to the direction that he'll be a good fit for us.

Teja

Christoph Freund is 'not a well known figure' only if you're only looking at things from inside the bubble of the EPL and the few elite clubs in other leagues.

Salzburg are a wonderfully run club and since Freund has been their DoF they've gone from running their transfer business at a net loss to trading players for an overall net spend of around +400M€ and played a big part in identifying and bringing in players like Haaland, Mane, Slobozslai, Adeyemi, Laimer, Naby Keita, Upamecano etc. who have blossomed at Salzburg and before moving on to bigger and better things at top clubs. One could also argue that the profits they've made would have been even bigger if they didn't sell a lot of their top players to RB Leipzig at a 'same club ownership value' and instead could get full market prices from other clubs.

The RB clubs Salzburg and Leipzig have some of the best data-driven scouting departments in world football and Freund has had a big role in building that up so the hope is that he can bring that knowledge and experience to Chelsea as well, and maybe even poach some great employees to make the move with him.

That being said, at Chelsea he's going to have a very different challenge because instead of just unearthing some hidden gems for peanuts that can be later sold for profit he'll also need to identify and acquire ready-made top players who can improve our first team immediately and that is something he still lacks experience of. It can also be a lot harder to get fair deals for those unknown developing young players when the selling clubs know you have the resources of a Chelsea and not just those of a Salzburg so it's a whole different ball game for him if/when he makes the move. Remains to be seen how he gets on but everything points to the direction that he'll be a good fit for us.
With Red bull it's hard to know how much value / credit to assign to a single individual. The whole thing works like a well oiled machine and I don't think that success is easily repeatable across organizations. It's like taking an SVP from Apple, putting them in Gamestop or whatever and expecting them to work magic. It doesn't work.

I'm almost certain that there's a #2 waiting in the wings to take over where Freund left off and you won't even be able to tell the difference.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

Yes, but you get that you are implying (and you aren’t alone in this, so sorry for tagging your post) that someone who is excellent in finding even unknown players that can excel at the highest levels will somehow be stumped if he’s given the opportunity to choose from ANY player he wants to scout?

Basically, the concern is that he can’t scout the obviously excellent players in terms of system?

That really doesn’t make much sense. The job he’s done at RB should be MUCH harder than the one he will be doing now.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Some rumours it'll be Freund [or someone else] alongside a second new director. One to focus on transfers and what not, and the other to focus on other aspects of the structure.

edcunited1878

Yes, but you get that you are implying (and you aren’t alone in this, so sorry for tagging your post) that someone who is excellent in finding even unknown players that can excel at the highest levels will somehow be stumped if he’s given the opportunity to choose from ANY player he wants to scout?

Basically, the concern is that he can’t scout the obviously excellent players in terms of system?

That really doesn’t make much sense. The job he’s done at RB should be MUCH harder than the one he will be doing now.
Salzburg are the big fish in a small pond example. They have resources that they are able to pull from the broader Red Bull group and implement a path way from outside RB (Salzburg and Leipzig) to within RB, if a player chooses to remain in the system long enough.

They identify and scout youth internationals across the continent and UK, then track them. Furthermore, they isolate on a core number of players who could be a better/best fit for their system in terms of play style, wages, sell on fees, etc.

Chelsea don't have that scouting system Red Bull does and also will not be able to guarantee the necessary growth and development some 18/19/20/21 year olds are getting as a first or second legit pro contract like they are at Salzburg and/or Leipzig. That is a large advantage Salzburg and Leipzig have over majority of PL clubs. Similar to how Dortmund and Leipzig are a competitive development club in Bundesliga for players who are taking that last one or two steps before the big time transfer.

And the pressure, demands, and egos that you have to deal with internally and externally are exponentially massive compared to RB.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Salzburg are the big fish in a small pond example. They have resources that they are able to pull from the broader Red Bull group and implement a path way from outside RB (Salzburg and Leipzig) to within RB, if a player chooses to remain in the system long enough.

They identify and scout youth internationals across the continent and UK, then track them. Furthermore, they isolate on a core number of players who could be a better/best fit for their system in terms of play style, wages, sell on fees, etc.

Chelsea don't have that scouting system Red Bull does and also will not be able to guarantee the necessary growth and development some 18/19/20/21 year olds are getting as a first or second legit pro contract like they are at Salzburg and/or Leipzig. That is a large advantage Salzburg and Leipzig have over majority of PL clubs. Similar to how Dortmund and Leipzig are a competitive development club in Bundesliga for players who are taking that last one or two steps before the big time transfer.

And the pressure, demands, and egos that you have to deal with internally and externally are exponentially massive compared to RB.
This is absolutely spot on. It's easy to hand-wave and say "well he did it here so he can do it there" but everything you've said here is important and meaningful context in my opinion.

I also think this is a big part of why Tuchel was sacked in retrospect - clearly the owners want to make sure there is a path to the first team for youngsters as a selling point and the trend for us under Tuchel has not been favourable in that regard. Potter certainly seems to be the better choice if nurturing young talent is the goal, even if he is obviously less likely to win silverware this year than Tuchel would be.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It sounds like the Freund deal hit some kind of snag or roadblock. Who is next on the list if its not him?

TheReligion

Abusive
I also think this is a big part of why Tuchel was sacked in retrospect - clearly the owners want to make sure there is a path to the first team for youngsters as a selling point and the trend for us under Tuchel has not been favourable in that regard. Potter certainly seems to be the better choice if nurturing young talent is the goal, even if he is obviously less likely to win silverware this year than Tuchel would be.
Is this not a bit worrying in some ways? Path to the first team and selling on for profit rather than final destination? Just like Red Bull clubs?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is this not a bit worrying in some ways? Path to the first team and selling on for profit rather than final destination? Just like Red Bull clubs?
No because clearly his remit would change if he goes to Chelsea. I don’t know anything about him but clearly what he would be asked to do at Chelsea would be done with a different goal in mind than what it was with Salzburg.

TheReligion

Abusive
No because clearly his remit would change if he goes to Chelsea. I don’t know anything about him but clearly what he would be asked to do at Chelsea would be done with a different goal in mind than what it was with Salzburg.
I think you would hope so but this along with the comments about owning other clubs suggests Boehly wants to operate like the RB group. We also know his motivation is profit too.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think the idea is that these players wouldn't be sold. Chelsea is a far more attractive team to play for than Salzburg or Leipzig - there's only a handful of clubs that could be seen as a clear upgrade in terms of status at this point.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I think you would hope so but this along with the comments about owning other clubs suggests Boehly wants to operate like the RB group. We also know his motivation is profit too.
That's a bit of a reach to be honest. Nothing is suggesting the plan is to only 'develop young players and sell for profit' but rather develop them to use for ourselves. Well-timed players sales for top money to balance the books were very much a part of the club's business plan during the Abramovich era too and I don't expect that to change in the future either but it seems like something different is cooking here.

Boehly may well have some ambitions to operate somewhat like the Red Bull group but don't you think it would be on a much bigger scale if the starting point is Chelsea, a ready-made top club? Remember that we're talking about an initial £2.5bn investment to even buy the club whereas the RB clubs basically started from scratch with very small fanbase and little to no success on the pitch in the past. If their whole business plan was to just become a player factory they might as well have bought some smaller club to begin with, ie. of the stature of Brentford or something like that for a small fraction of the price.

Boehly's motivation seems to be running a club (or group of clubs) that are not only successful on the pitch but also self-sustaining too. Unlike Abramovich the new owners are not going to want to sink money into the project forever but there's also nothing pointing to the direction that they're only in it to gain dividends from the club either.

All along I've considered their plan for 'profiting' to be increasing the brand value of the club and you don't do that if you're only a farming factory of young players for other top clubs. Rebuilding the stadium and finding ways to increase other commercial revenues seems to be the main plan to make Chelsea in itself self-sustainable and this 'multi-club' nonsense just seems like a new way for the club to tap into the market for young players and try to avoid paying obscene transfer fees for players in a market that has gotten quite ridiculous lately. Even then I very much doubt the idea would be to completely stop buying ready-made top players to slot straight into the first team but rather this 'pathway' would just complement the normal squad building process.

It's definitely a long-term vision and we won't start seeing progress immediately so it's difficult to judge anything at this point. It may work out or it may not, but hiring the right people to run the club would be a good start. It's going to take a minimum of few years to start seeing whether this 'vision' comes to fruition or not but in the meanwhile the club are probably just going to aim to be competitive in the traditional way so basically buying players and using them in our first team straight away. Say what you want about our past summer's transfer window but at the very least the new owners showed ambition and willingness to invest money in the team. With a good DoF in place making the right signings should become a bit easier and if they decide to go through with this multi-club model it has the potential to be a very good thing for the club's success, even if I personally don't really agree with it for much of the reasons @WeePat has stated on here before.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Whoever the new DOF is, his job will be to build a title challenging squad alongside Potter. Not to find gems and sell them on for profit. Having someone with a good eye for talent will be a massive help, but this will be a completely different job description as opposed to the likes of Monaco, Salzburg, and the Porto's etc of this world

The profit for the group will come via Boehly's commericial/entertainment contacts, and branding etc. When the 3 deal ends, I'd wager the next sponsorship deal will be the biggest in the league, or a close 2nd.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
The profit for the group will come via Boehly's commericial/entertainment contacts, and branding etc. When the 3 deal ends, I'd wager the next sponsorship deal will be the biggest in the league, or a close 2nd.
It will be bigger than the current deal with Three but probably not by a huge margin. The current shirt sponsorship is worth £40M/y. Liverpool and Arsenal are getting similar amounts for their own respective deals even City and United are only getting somewhere in the region of £50-60M a year from their main shirt sponsors.

I'd expect Chelsea's next shirt sponsor to be in the region of £50M a year at most, and even that would be a reasonably big increase over the previous deal. An extra £5-10M a year doesn't really make that huge of a difference in making the club 'profitable' but it would mark things heading in the right direction for sure. The WhaleFin sleeve sponsor is also worth around double (from £10M a year to £20M) compared to the Hyundai one from last season.

The single biggest financial improvement would be the stadium rebuild. Having a big modern stadium would immediately increase the club's 'brand value' as well as provide tens of millions extra match day income every year from the increased capacity. If the stadium rebuild is financed by a large part from that '£1.75bn' investement Boehly and Clearlake have earmarked for the club's future and they don't have to take on too much debt to pay for the renovation, it won't take decades for the club to start profiting from the increased match day income like it has for Arsenal and will for Tottenham who mostly funded their stadiums with loaned money.

Like with everything else for Chelsea at the moment this process will take time, especially because I'd bet any stadium renovation process likely won't be completed for at least another five years. It will be a couple of years planning, getting the required permits etc. for works to even begin and even then the actual construction will likely take a few years minimum. It was reported a couple months ago Boehly had hired some fancy architect from the USA with lots of baseball stadium experience to start drawing up some preliminary plans so hopefully the process has already started and will move on ASAP.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It will be bigger than the current deal with Three but probably not by a huge margin. The current shirt sponsorship is worth £40M/y. Liverpool and Arsenal are getting similar amounts for their own respective deals even City and United are only getting somewhere in the region of £50-60M a year from their main shirt sponsors.

I'd expect Chelsea's next shirt sponsor to be in the region of £50M a year at most, and even that would be a reasonably big increase over the previous deal. An extra £5-10M a year doesn't really make that huge of a difference in making the club 'profitable' but it would mark things heading in the right direction for sure. The WhaleFin sleeve sponsor is also worth around double (from £10M a year to £20M) compared to the Hyundai one from last season.

The single biggest financial improvement would be the stadium rebuild. Having a big modern stadium would immediately increase the club's 'brand value' as well as provide tens of millions extra match day income every year from the increased capacity. If the stadium rebuild is financed by a large part from that '£1.75bn' investement Boehly and Clearlake have earmarked for the club's future and they don't have to take on too much debt to pay for the renovation, it won't take decades for the club to start profiting from the increased match day income like it has for Arsenal and will for Tottenham who mostly funded their stadiums with loaned money.

Like with everything else for Chelsea at the moment this process will take time, especially because I'd bet any stadium renovation process likely won't be completed for at least another five years. It will be a couple of years planning, getting the required permits etc. for works to even begin and even then the actual construction will likely take a few years minimum. It was reported a couple months ago Boehly had hired some fancy architect from the USA with lots of baseball stadium experience to start drawing up some preliminary plans so hopefully the process has already started and will move on ASAP.
agreed re. the stadium, but i still think we are yrs away from getting close to moving

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Agree on the sponsorships. In the end, unless you're doing shady stuff like City, these commercial deals are really just largely about the size of your supporter base. Chelsea are big but not as big as Liverpool or United and their major commercial deals will roughly reflect that.

I think the biggest issues with the stadium will likely be the rise in interest rates (I don't believe they will fund it without borrowing quite a bit, nobody really does that) and a tricky location from a planning and permitting standpoint. The Emirates was about 7 years from initial planning to opening, Spurs' stadium was like 10 years. And Stamford Bridge is a tougher location in a tougher current financial environment.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That's a bit of a reach to be honest. Nothing is suggesting the plan is to only 'develop young players and sell for profit' but rather develop them to use for ourselves. Well-timed players sales for top money to balance the books were very much a part of the club's business plan during the Abramovich era too and I don't expect that to change in the future either but it seems like something different is cooking here.

Boehly may well have some ambitions to operate somewhat like the Red Bull group but don't you think it would be on a much bigger scale if the starting point is Chelsea, a ready-made top club? Remember that we're talking about an initial £2.5bn investment to even buy the club whereas the RB clubs basically started from scratch with very small fanbase and little to no success on the pitch in the past. If their whole business plan was to just become a player factory they might as well have bought some smaller club to begin with, ie. of the stature of Brentford or something like that for a small fraction of the price.

Boehly's motivation seems to be running a club (or group of clubs) that are not only successful on the pitch but also self-sustaining too. Unlike Abramovich the new owners are not going to want to sink money into the project forever but there's also nothing pointing to the direction that they're only in it to gain dividends from the club either.

All along I've considered their plan for 'profiting' to be increasing the brand value of the club and you don't do that if you're only a farming factory of young players for other top clubs. Rebuilding the stadium and finding ways to increase other commercial revenues seems to be the main plan to make Chelsea in itself self-sustainable and this 'multi-club' nonsense just seems like a new way for the club to tap into the market for young players and try to avoid paying obscene transfer fees for players in a market that has gotten quite ridiculous lately. Even then I very much doubt the idea would be to completely stop buying ready-made top players to slot straight into the first team but rather this 'pathway' would just complement the normal squad building process.

It's definitely a long-term vision and we won't start seeing progress immediately so it's difficult to judge anything at this point. It may work out or it may not, but hiring the right people to run the club would be a good start. It's going to take a minimum of few years to start seeing whether this 'vision' comes to fruition or not but in the meanwhile the club are probably just going to aim to be competitive in the traditional way so basically buying players and using them in our first team straight away. Say what you want about our past summer's transfer window but at the very least the new owners showed ambition and willingness to invest money in the team. With a good DoF in place making the right signings should become a bit easier and if they decide to go through with this multi-club model it has the potential to be a very good thing for the club's success, even if I personally don't really agree with it for much of the reasons @WeePat has stated on here before.
What I'm not sure of is the motivation behind having a football group. If you look at City's football group, it hasn't provided them with any players for the first team as far as I can see. They've just bought the big stars the traditional way than if they had a football group or not.

So, what else can they get out it. Is it buying youth players, farming them out just to make a profit on them? The more cynical also say it could be a way to redistribute money for financial fair play.

So while having a football group might be done with good intentions, it will be interesting to see how this relates to the reality at first team level.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/...tarting-champions-league-game-vs-real-madrid/

feck this guy, needs to leave the club. Beyond idiotic. An autobiography at age 24 where he's bitching about the circumstances surrounding his only trophy of note.

Also he couldn't have known Tuchel was getting sacked when he started "writing" this yet he planned on releasing it to capitalise on the World Cup regardless? Absolutely pathetic and should be getting far more stick than Lukaku did last year. Never want to see him in a Chelsea shirt again personally.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

What's going on at Chelsea?
Beyond embarrassing. Jesus fecking Christ

EDIT: Spin zone - at least we're getting rid of him before he does too many more idiotic things?

SECOND EDIT: Apparently this behaviour happened before he was appointed at Chelsea but wasn't turned up in the due diligence somehow. Kim reported his conduct to one of our executives after he'd been hired and he's been fired post-haste. Still bad but I suppose not as bad as I initially thought.

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Beyond embarrassing. Jesus fecking Christ

EDIT: Spin zone - at least we're getting rid of him before he does too many more idiotic things?

SECOND EDIT: Apparently this behaviour happened before he was appointed at Chelsea but wasn't turned up in the due diligence somehow. Kim reported his conduct to one of our executives after he'd been hired and he's been fired post-haste. Still bad but I suppose not as bad as I initially thought.
Yes, this happened while he was at City and no way for someone at Chelsea to know. Once they did know he was terminated immediately. This is the way it should be handled, unlike the marketing head harassing an employee to the point he committed suicide and nothing was done until Boehly bought the team and fired him.

Gazza

Yes, this happened while he was at City and no way for someone at Chelsea to know. Once they did know he was terminated immediately. This is the way it should be handled, unlike the marketing head harassing an employee to the point he committed suicide and nothing was done until Boehly bought the team and fired him.
I must have missed this, jeez

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
agreed re. the stadium, but i still think we are yrs away from getting close to moving
Move? We aren’t moving anywhere. Todd hired someone to increase the Bridge capacity not building something new. Plus you have the CPO, who are long passed their usefulness, digging their heels in about it.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Move? We aren’t moving anywhere. Todd hired someone to increase the Bridge capacity not building something new. Plus you have the CPO, who are long passed their usefulness, digging their heels in about it.
Should have worded it better but essentially i think we ideally need to move to really increase revenue, and as you say with CPO etc it's yrs away.... current location will only allow a certain amount of expansion.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Catalina Kim, was involved in the takeover rumours, and victim of Willoughby's inappropriate txts; seems to be back in talks according to Matt Law

Working on behalf of investors overseas who want to pump money into the club

Status
Not open for further replies.