Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
CPO was a godsend to the club and continue to be godsend. Weird to slander a group that saved the club in its hour of need and have continued to safeguard the club in the years since.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Should have worded it better but essentially i think we ideally need to move to really increase revenue, and as you say with CPO etc it's yrs away.... current location will only allow a certain amount of expansion.
The plans made in 2015 were for 60K capacity in the current location so it's definitely possible. I don't think the club need a stadium bigger than that?

That said, the previous plans that never materialised would have been for a complete rebuild so if a 'stand-by-stand' renovation (like Anfield) is done instead I'm not sure if the same 60K capacity can be reached but at least it would allow the club to continue playing at the Bridge even during the construction and is definitely cheaper than building a new stadium from scratch. Getting to somewhere between 55-60K would be good.

TheReligion

Abusive
The plans made in 2015 were for 60K capacity in the current location so it's definitely possible. I don't think the club need a stadium bigger than that?

That said, the previous plans that never materialised would have been for a complete rebuild so if a 'stand-by-stand' renovation (like Anfield) is done instead I'm not sure if the same 60K capacity can be reached but at least it would allow the club to continue playing at the Bridge even during the construction and is definitely cheaper than building a new stadium from scratch. Getting to somewhere between 55-60K would be good.
Yeah agreed. Chelsea’s max is around the 60k or less mark.

Can get quite a nice stadium together on your current site I imagine.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/...tarting-champions-league-game-vs-real-madrid/

feck this guy, needs to leave the club. Beyond idiotic. An autobiography at age 24 where he's bitching about the circumstances surrounding his only trophy of note.

Also he couldn't have known Tuchel was getting sacked when he started "writing" this yet he planned on releasing it to capitalise on the World Cup regardless? Absolutely pathetic and should be getting far more stick than Lukaku did last year. Never want to see him in a Chelsea shirt again personally.
It's such a bizarre situation because non-American and American Chelsea fans have been feuding online about this guy for pretty much the entire time he's been here. I remember how Pulisic's American fans would accuse Lampard of favouring Mount over him because he's English, and then accusing Tuchel of favouring Werner/Havertz because they're German. Every single time he hasn't been in the line-up for the past 3 years, I've logged onto twitter to see these groups feuding over this guy who really hasn't done anything justify this level of stress and aggro. It isn't just online either. Local fans I meet at the Chelsea games have taken a dislike to him too. I understand he's USMNT's captain and best player, and I think most people understood signing Pulisic would come with this sort of intense following and scrutiny from US media and fans, but what it's unfortunately done is it has pushed a lot of the non-American Chelsea fans to hyper focus on Pulisic's flaws and blow his bad games way out of proportion.

It is to this backdrop, that he decides to release a book, and the only exerpts we've seen so far are him complaining about Tuchel's decisions in a season where we won the fecking Champions League, and as you say, he couldn't have known Tuchel was going to be sacked when he was writing this and the release date was set, so he was absolutely planning to have these hit the media airwaves while Tuchel was his coach and boy, I can't imagine the shenanigans it would have led to, if it happened in the way he had intended.

So yeah, I kinda like Pulisic. He's a talented guy who has unfortunately achieved very little consistency at Chelsea outside of project restart due to a combination of his own inability to stay fit, probably unlucky with some manager decisions, but really the biggest reason is that he really isn't that good, certainly not any better than the players he's competing against.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

60K is more than enough. We don't need a bigger capacity than that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's such a bizarre situation because non-American and American Chelsea fans have been feuding online about this guy for pretty much the entire time he's been here. I remember how Pulisic's American fans would accuse Lampard of favouring Mount over him because he's English, and then accusing Tuchel of favouring Werner/Havertz because they're German. Every single time he hasn't been in the line-up for the past 3 years, I've logged onto twitter to see these groups feuding over this guy who really hasn't done anything justify this level of stress and aggro. It isn't just online either. Local fans I meet at the Chelsea games have taken a dislike to him too. I understand he's USMNT's captain and best player, and I think most people understood signing Pulisic would come with this sort of intense following and scrutiny from US media and fans, but what it's unfortunately done is it has pushed a lot of the non-American Chelsea fans to hyper focus on Pulisic's flaws and blow his bad games way out of proportion.

It is to this backdrop, that he decides to release a book, and the only exerpts we've seen so far are him complaining about Tuchel's decisions in a season where we won the fecking Champions League, and as you say, he couldn't have known Tuchel was going to be sacked when he was writing this and the release date was set, so he was absolutely planning to have these hit the media airwaves while Tuchel was his coach and boy, I can't imagine the shenanigans it would have led to, if it happened in the way he had intended.

So yeah, I kinda like Pulisic. He's a talented guy who has unfortunately achieved very little consistency at Chelsea outside of project restart due to a combination of his own inability to stay fit, probably unlucky with some manager decisions, but really the biggest reason is that he really isn't that good, certainly not any better than the players he's competing against.
Agreed with everything you've said - but it also seems like he has a major attitude problem. Feels like he's drunk too much of his own Kool Aid to me - and instead of working hard to earn minutes he'd rather complain about it with a stupid book.

He's been so beyond atrocious this season as well - looks like he is totally incapable of controlling a ball properly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed with everything you've said - but it also seems like he has a major attitude problem. Feels like he's drunk too much of his own Kool Aid to me - and instead of working hard to earn minutes he'd rather complain about it with a stupid book.

He's been so beyond atrocious this season as well - looks like he is totally incapable of controlling a ball properly.
He doesn’t want to be at Chelsea. I also don’t think gives a shit about what Tuchel or the club thinks of him or his book hence agreeing to have it released thinking Tuchel would still be his coach, which says a lot about what he thinks of his situation at the club.

So yeah I like him but it’s probably best for everyone involved if he finds himself a different club and Chelsea should do all it can to facilitate that. This situation is good for no one.

Shinjch

More embarrassment from the owner's side on this DoF appointment. Thought the Salzburg fella was nailed on, and even then it seemed like he was second choice.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
60K is more than enough. We don't need a bigger capacity than that.
Yep. Assuming the ticket prices would stay at the same level and the stadium was full for just about every game like it currently is with 41K then rough estimates would be a 35% increase in match day income with a 55K capacity and a 45% increase with 60K.

The club's match day income, not including the COVID seasons, has been quite steady at around £65-80M depending on the amount of home games due to cup competitions. At those percentages the increase would be somewhere in the region of £25-40M a year than with the current stadium. And like some of the other new/renovated stadiums the plans could even include some adjustments (ie. a retractable pitch and roof) to potentially allow hosting events outside of football as well (boxing, concerts etc.) for some more extra income.

The current site of the stadium comes with its own challenges for any expansion but it's definitely possible to do 55-60K there.

mu4c_20le

Shame, I was hoping they'd land Freund, so he could turn them into a Red Bull club. It'd be a good fit too, both plastic and trying to become big.

TheReligion

Abusive

He doesn’t want to be at Chelsea. I also don’t think gives a shit about what Tuchel or the club thinks of him or his book hence agreeing to have it released thinking Tuchel would still be his coach, which says a lot about what he thinks of his situation at the club.

So yeah I like him but it’s probably best for everyone involved if he finds himself a different club and Chelsea should do all it can to facilitate that. This situation is good for no one.
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. Wasn’t it widely reported he wanted to move this window either on loan or permanently but it wasn’t allowed and he wasn’t happy about it?

He does look like he’s no longer interested in being at the club and although his book is out of order it does make you wonder if he has actually been mistreated or at least feels he has been and now has essentially thought feck it.

Perhaps Potter will get a tune out of him if he’s receptive now Tuchel has moved on? He’s only just turned 24 and given the £57m outlay could be worth some perseverance?

The DoF thing is looking like another strange one. Missing out on the top two choices after all this time messing around.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular

Well, he saw how Lukaku got off easily so why shouldn't he do the same? Hopefully he's got a great WC tourney so some clubs are eventually tricked into a some sort of fire sale for decent bucks.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Well, he saw how Lukaku got off easily so why shouldn't he do the same?

Hopefully he's got a great WC tourney so some clubs are eventually tricked into a some sort of fire sale for decent bucks.
Do you mean the Sky Italia interview? If so, Lukaku definitely didn't get off easily. It was at that point lots of fans turned on him and it marked the point of no return. He still played some games for the remainder of the season but went more than three months without a single league start and pretty much the only game of any real importance that he started in the last few months was the FA Cup final when Havertz was out with an injury.

Either way, Pulisic can feck off. Such entitlement from someone who's shown so very little in his whole career. Even at Dortmund he was nothing special and the only reason a lot of money was paid for him was the commercial value in the USA and his supposedly high 'potential to improve' which hasn't happened in the slightest. For someone who's been injured for about 50 games over three seasons and always seems to take forever to get back into any kind of form after coming back from injury he sure likes to run his mouth a lot. And it's not only him because his dad likes to talk a lot too, seems like they've both fully bought into the hype he received as a teenager and any criticism from the manager or lack of play time is interpreted as unfair, even though his own performances don't justify him being a key player at all.

I'm all for players being given a second chance under Potter but with Pulisic I just don't see him improving enough to get the role he seems to be demanding so probably best for everyone he's binned ASAP. If by some miracle he starts to perform at the required level over the next two months before the WC I'm ready to amend my opinion but otherwise I hope by the January window we'll have seen the last of him in a Chelsea shirt.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Not just this season, he's been rubbish since the start of 20/21.

In hindsight the restart period was the ultimate purple patch in a time half the teams lacked fitness or couldn't be arsed.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Do you guys think Pulisic helped get Tuchel fired? For example, going straight to Boehly and complaining or talking badly about him.

If Boehly's broader plans involve a lot of new marketing and commercial initiatives in the US market, then Pulisic is not going to be treated like everybody else on the team.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
What I'm not sure of is the motivation behind having a football group. If you look at City's football group, it hasn't provided them with any players for the first team as far as I can see. They've just bought the big stars the traditional way than if they had a football group or not.

So, what else can they get out it. Is it buying youth players, farming them out just to make a profit on them? The more cynical also say it could be a way to redistribute money for financial fair play.

So while having a football group might be done with good intentions, it will be interesting to see how this relates to the reality at first team level.
Boehly group didn't come here to give money to football club like roman. They came for money and they think football have lot more potential to be a money generator than American sports. It's audience are huge compared to American sports.

They tried to buy chelsea even before roman forced to sell. We didn't have shady sponsorships and liverpool not bigger than Chelsea world wide.
Do you guys think Pulisic helped get Tuchel fired? For example, going straight to Boehly and complaining or talking badly about him.

If Boehly's broader plans involve a lot of new marketing and commercial initiatives in the US market, then Pulisic is not going to be treated like everybody else on the team.
He didn't perform much to get place in team let alone he is the reason for sacking tuchel. He will be stupid to think manager is the reason he didnt get place the team.

He should look into his own performance and reason was there why he consistently on the bench.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. Wasn’t it widely reported he wanted to move this window either on loan or permanently but it wasn’t allowed and he wasn’t happy about it?

He does look like he’s no longer interested in being at the club and although his book is out of order it does make you wonder if he has actually been mistreated or at least feels he has been and now has essentially thought feck it.

Perhaps Potter will get a tune out of him if he’s receptive now Tuchel has moved on? He’s only just turned 24 and given the £57m outlay could be worth some perseverance?

The DoF thing is looking like another strange one. Missing out on the top two choices after all this time messing around.
Yeah he did want to leave but that was before Tuchel was sacked. So yeah, perhaps worth persevering with but Potter would be his 3rd manager at Chelsea and the previous two didn't think he was good enough to be a guaranteed starter, so very little chance Potter will suddenly think he is, though there is always the chance a new coach will give him a new lease of life. Who knows, but this book of his is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.

With Freund, it sounds like he was convinced to stay by the Red Bull organisation rather than Salzburg specifically, though one could say they're one and the same, but it's possible that it is a future working higher up in the Red Bull org that convinced him to stay put.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Loans were regularly rumoured. Newcastle, Man Utd, I think a few abroad, too. I'd have let him go tbh, anything over 30m Id sell him tomorrow. When on form he is very good, but he is way way too inconsistent and seems whingey. See it when he loses the ball, almost complains as if it every tackle is unfair

re. Potter, I think I'd be more inclined to believe Potter will either A - try for Trossard in Jan instead or, B - Recall CHO. Ziyech also needs to go to, he is another who doesnt want to be here, and has been rank lately. Him and Pulisic shouldn't be making matchday squads if they want to go [over players who want to stay], that was one of TT mistakes

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think Mark Pulisic is heavily influencing the decisions of Christian. His father seems to think Christian would be better somewhere else. Mark’s social media posts have been toxic.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
With the DOF situation there will of course be multiple candidates being spoken to, and Freund was clearly one, but there is also talk that the club want[ed] Freund plus another. Maybe the Freund move broke down as the 'plus one' was another Red Bull employee who didnt want to leave the organisation?

feck knows who will be next to be spoken to, I'd actually be alright with Orta off Leeds. Seems to be able to conclude deals quickly-ish

Suedesi

Christoph Freund is 'not a well known figure' only if you're only looking at things from inside the bubble of the EPL and the few elite clubs in other leagues.

Salzburg are a wonderfully run club and since Freund has been their DoF they've gone from running their transfer business at a net loss to trading players for an overall net spend of around +400M€ and played a big part in identifying and bringing in players like Haaland, Mane, Slobozslai, Adeyemi, Laimer, Naby Keita, Upamecano etc. who have blossomed at Salzburg and before moving on to bigger and better things at top clubs. One could also argue that the profits they've made would have been even bigger if they didn't sell a lot of their top players to RB Leipzig at a 'same club ownership value' and instead could get full market prices from other clubs.

The RB clubs Salzburg and Leipzig have some of the best data-driven scouting departments in world football and Freund has had a big role in building that up so the hope is that he can bring that knowledge and experience to Chelsea as well, and maybe even poach some great employees to make the move with him.

That being said, at Chelsea he's going to have a very different challenge because instead of just unearthing some hidden gems for peanuts that can be later sold for profit he'll also need to identify and acquire ready-made top players who can improve our first team immediately and that is something he still lacks experience of. It can also be a lot harder to get fair deals for those unknown developing young players when the selling clubs know you have the resources of a Chelsea and not just those of a Salzburg so it's a whole different ball game for him if/when he makes the move. Remains to be seen how he gets on but everything points to the direction that he'll be a good fit for us.
Where is the 'never wanted him anyways' post

Suedesi

He comes across as a dweeb and is from Hershey, PA. :p

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He is a full blown Trumpanze… so yeah…
I mean come on, I'm no Pulisic fan at all but this is wildly inaccurate. It's based on him liking a post on Instagram from an acquaintance that called for shooting Antifa members - and he's said it was liked blindly.

Based on actual statements and actions he seems more or less middle of the road, socially liberal, almost certainly economically conservative given his income, but probably pro-gun.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean come on, I'm no Pulisic fan at all but this is wildly inaccurate. It's based on him liking a post on Instagram from an acquaintance that called for shooting Antifa members - and he's said it was liked blindly.

Based on actual statements and actions he seems more or less middle of the road, socially liberal, almost certainly economically conservative given his income, but probably pro-gun.
It’s a running meme that he’s MAGA. I actually have no idea where his political leanings actually lie, but the MAGA allegations, I think, come from that one time he liked a 50 Cent post during the election campaign talking about not voting for Biden.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a running meme that he’s MAGA. I actually have no idea where his political leanings actually lie, but the MAGA allegations, I think, come from that one time he liked a 50 Cent post during the election campaign talking about not voting for Biden.
Oh I have definitely contributed to this but in a way that was tongue-in-cheek - my preferred sobriquet for him is NRAmar (though frankly he's done nothing to warrant the comparison of late as we've discussed).

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

Based on his actions before the George Floyd incident, he was favorable about Trump. Has nothing to do with the twitter liking, although it did perpetuate it. It is very possible he had a familiarity with Trump because Trump’s son was a huge Pulisic fan. It also added to his reputation that Trump does not talk a lot about sports, but he did talk about Pulisic and wished him a speedy recovery when injured. Trump really only speaks about athletes that he sees as his supporters. It was the George Floyd story when Pulisic spoke against the administration and not at Trump specifically.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Based on his actions before the George Floyd incident, he was favorable about Trump. Has nothing to do with the twitter liking, although it did perpetuate it. It is very possible he had a familiarity with Trump because Trump’s son was a huge Pulisic fan. It also added to his reputation that Trump does not talk a lot about sports, but he did talk about Pulisic and wished him a speedy recovery when injured. Trump really only speaks about athletes that he sees as his supporters. It was the George Floyd story when Pulisic spoke against the administration and not at Trump specifically.
Even if all of that is true, that hardly makes him a "full-blown Trumpanzee", does it?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I doubt either of us will know for sure. Anyone that is favorable to Trump, I don’t give the benefit of doubt.
He is by definition not a full-blown Trumpanzee if he is in favor of police reform and knelt prior to kick-offs with his teammates.

Calling Pulisic some sort of extremist is ridiculous and is very much akin to the boy who cried wolf. There are very obviously differences between a rich person who likes to shoot guns and pay lower taxes and the Q cult that has become mainstream Trumpism.

You don't seem to understand the extent of the label you are bandying about willy-nilly so we can just leave it there.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He is by definition not a full-blown Trumpanzee if he is in favor of police reform and knelt prior to kick-offs with his teammates.

Calling Pulisic some sort of extremist is ridiculous and is very much akin to the boy who cried wolf. There are very obviously differences between a rich person who likes to shoot guns and pay lower taxes and the Q cult that has become mainstream Trumpism.

You don't seem to understand the extent of the label you are bandying about willy-nilly so we can just leave it there.
A Trumpanzee is someone who supports Trump, not sure where you are coming from in adding additional requirements? I don't really have a problem cheering for someone that has different views than my own. I know and party with Trump supporters that are nowhere near the extremes you are requiring. They are still Trumpanzees. Do you have access to Trump supporters in any numbers? Or are these ideas you have strictly from the media?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
A Trumpanzee is someone who supports Trump, not sure where you are coming from in adding additional requirements? I don't really have a problem cheering for someone that has different views than my own. I know and party with Trump supporters that are nowhere near the extremes you are requiring. They are still Trumpanzees. Do you have access to Trump supporters in any numbers? Or are these ideas you have strictly from the media?
A "full-blown" Trumpanzee implies that they are whole-heartedly behind Trump and his moronic positions. It's very obvious that this isn't the case with Pulisic. He didn't storm the capital, he's not a Q cultist, and he isn't an anti-vax nutcase.

I have plenty of people in my family who voted for Trump in 2016 for purely economic reasons, then voted Biden in 2020. Does that qualify me to have an opinion on this, because apparently associating with idiots is a prerequisite for commenting on them all of a sudden?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
A "full-blown" Trumpanzee implies that they are whole-heartedly behind Trump and his moronic positions. It's very obvious that this isn't the case with Pulisic. He didn't storm the capital, he's not a Q cultist, and he isn't an anti-vax nutcase.

I have plenty of people in my family who voted for Trump in 2016 for purely economic reasons, then voted Biden in 2020. Does that qualify me to have an opinion on this, because apparently associating with idiots is a prerequisite for commenting on them all of a sudden?
You have added your own prerequisites already. We will just need to disagree on what a Trumpanzee is. You vote or support him for any reason, you get the tag from me.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
You are the one who said "full-blown" Trumpanzee. The definition of a Trumpanzee isn't the issue here.
Yes, it was a little spicy, wasn’t it! Im just not as invested in this argument as you are. Enjoy the weekend, it has been great so far.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, it was a little spicy, wasn’t it! Im just not as invested in this argument as you are. Enjoy the weekend, it has been great so far.
No hard feelings mate and hope you have a good weekend as well. Just think a bit of nuance is warranted.

The optimist in me hopes associations with Trump are stigmatized to the extent they should be in the coming years, though I obviously won't hold my breath. Properly segmenting that group for me is crucial if the US is going to recover from the damage he's done to our political norms.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. I am not hopeful with our two party system. It seems to bring forth the worst choices possible. I voted for Johnson in 2016 thinking with these two clowns running getting 5% of the vote was a lock to establish a third party so we were not going to have such extreme choices. When he only received 3%, I about want to give up. I keep voting, but it is discouraging for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.