Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Tuchel always had the quality of being able to be charming, endearing even, in interviews and talking publicly. I do remember one of the first interviews (or press conference?) he gave after he'd become BVB manager and how he, for an noticeably extended period of time, waxed lyrical about Mkhitaryan as a person and as a professional. What a great guy Mkhitaryan is, how great it was to see him come into training everyday with a fantastic attitude etc.

It struck me as Mkhitaryan had been under immense criticism after failing to impress (to put it mildly) in his first two seasons at BVB and was an object of public contention at the time, and what followed was that Mkhitaryan played the single best and most consistent season of his career, 20+ assists in the league if I'm not mistaken. A level of performance he could never reach again, as fans on this board will be able to attest to.

Doesn't mean that Tuchel can't become immensely bitchy in an instant if things go wrong and bother him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, moving into more high pressure jobs can cause you to develop new skills and adapt very quickly. He probably had a hard look at himself and his PSG experience and looked at what he could improve on and do better. Conte is a good example of how damaging to your career it can be to allow yourself to be too consistently bitchy. Guessing Tuchel doesn't want to end up at Spurs one day.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So, in other words, the full 90 again on Tuesday and against Spurs *sigh*
Sounds like Tuchel and Lukaku haven't settled anything and neither side is happy with the other.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like Tuchel and Lukaku haven't settled anything and neither side is happy with the other.
I'll believe it when i see it, there's been too many false dawns now in terms of him being held accountable for his performances.

It's so depressing watching us with him in this team knowing how fluid we are when not, a lot of the time the win is the only thing that makes the game enjoyable. I can somewhat understand against the fodder but him shoehorned into big games when we've done so well in them with F9 is so demoralizing. Yesterday the lineup was key to my confidence in getting a result as much as ever.

i'm not saying we're peak Barca without him but games are usually a lot more enjoyable even when we don't win (Burnley for example i enjoyed so much i wasn't even that annoyed we drew, Liverpool again a draw but the fight and intesity compared to yesterday was night and day). If anything being out of the title race is all the more reason to prioritize making the games enjoyable again which for me starts with Kai up top.

NoPace

I thought he did alright yesterday, was let down by the wide players. Gave Kovacic and Kante an impossible job in possession and they damn near did it. Sarr looks clumsy and even he did okay. I would have gone to 4 at the back sooner but I think he thinks it's suicide against City and if so he's probably right.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He's tested positive for covid.

Rest up champ

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully all ok and not actually sick.

Can't travel to Club world cup then also? No league games for two weeks on the football side so can be worse.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Love that!!

What a guy. Great moment that.
I haven't been this attached to a manager since Mourinho 1.0. I keep waiting for all the 'difficult to work' stuff to rear it's ugly head but so far, 18 months in, with a lot of on and off the pitch turmoil, he's been an exemplary leader.

Last edited:

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I haven't been this attached to a manager since Mourinho 1.0. I keep waiting for all the 'difficult to work' stuff to rear it's ugly head but so far, 18 months in, with a lot of on and off the pitch turmoil, he's been an exemplary leader.
Same, my only concern is next season needs most of our transfer budget just to stand still (2 CB’s and potentially two back up wing backs). Hopefully we can shuffle around with some sales to bring some new blood in upfront as we’re awful at taking chances.

I think with all that in mind a comfortable top four finish and a trophy has to be next years target, then Boehly can show his hand with further investment over a number of years to get us nearer the top. It will take time though as we need to increase revenue. I believe Tuchel is the man to trust with the rebuild

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Same, my only concern is next season needs most of our transfer budget just to stand still (2 CB’s and potentially two back up wing backs). Hopefully we can shuffle around with some sales to bring some new blood in upfront as we’re awful at taking chances.

I think with all that in mind a comfortable top four finish and a trophy has to be next years target, then Boehly can show his hand with further investment over a number of years to get us nearer the top. It will take time though as we need to increase revenue. I believe Tuchel is the man to trust with the rebuild
That's fair. The academy will be incredibly useful to alleviate some of that concern next season and it sounds like Tuchel is well aware of the importance of utilising the returning loan players.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

To be honest re. the summer, i think he will be given a hefty budget. New owner will want to make a statement in their first window. There will also be sales undoubtedly, there is only a handful i would label as "must stay". Probably see 4 in and roughly the same out [not including likes of Drinkwater, Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Baba etc]. Kounde seems nailed on.

We have already increased revenue by 10m on this year with the new sleeve sponsor, so a good start

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is Chelsea the darkness? New club = light?
Nah, he wrote an article about his time at Chelsea and ended it with the same phrase...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-chelsea-fc-soccer-premier-league

But actually, I want to leave you with a final memory that is bittersweet. Sometimes the things that have the most impact on you are not all good, or all bad. For me, this memory is simply Chelsea.

It happened in 2019, after City smashed us 6–0 at the Etihad. To be honest, they murdered us. It was embarrassing. After the final whistle, I walked over to the traveling Chelsea fans to raise my hands and apologize. As I walked over, I expected them to boo. But they were all on their feet clapping. Even in such a bad moment, they had our back.

I was shocked. I put my hands up, like, Sorry, sorry, sorry.

As I got closer, this one guy in the crowd started shouting abuse at me. He was maybe five meters away, looking me right in the eyes. Listen, I have heard abuse all my life, but this was different. It was really personal. I shouted to him, “Hey, if you want to talk, then come down here and we can have a conversation.”

Of course, he didn’t even take one step. Immediately, he stopped shouting. And what was remarkable to me was that all the fans around him turned to him and said, “Hey, what are you doing? He’s coming here to apologize. What’s wrong with you?”

The fans — the real fans — started cheering for me even louder. “Rudi! Rudi! Rudi!”

That was really powerful. We had lost 6-nil, but all these people were still standing up to the hatred of this one idiot. “Come on, Rudi! Come on, mate!!!”

It was so overwhelming that even the idiot started clapping, too. The other fans literally made him clap and apologize to me. I will never forget that. Never.

There is hatred in the football world, for sure. That’s a fact. I have experienced the worst of it. But there is also a lot of joy, too. At Chelsea, I experienced both extremes.

Yes, I heard the abuse. But I also felt the love.

At the end of the day, the light was stronger than the darkness.

For that, I will always be Chelsea.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You'd think he would? Winning the CL in his first season, pretty much being the best team in all the rounds, when looked like we had no chance of that when he tookover.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest re. the summer, i think he will be given a hefty budget. New owner will want to make a statement in their first window. There will also be sales undoubtedly, there is only a handful i would label as "must stay". Probably see 4 in and roughly the same out [not including likes of Drinkwater, Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Baba etc]. Kounde seems nailed on.

We have already increased revenue by 10m on this year with the new sleeve sponsor, so a good start
It’s insane how many players we still have that can be sold. I’d forgotten about half of the ones above and couldn’t even tell you who is still under contract!

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s insane how many players we still have that can be sold. I’d forgotten about half of the ones above and couldn’t even tell you who is still under contract!
Many of them have seen their values depreciate with mixed to bad loans and personal issues.

Bakajoke-yo, Batshuayi, Drinkwater, Ampadu, Emerson, Miazga

At best in current climate we could pull £50 mil from this. No one wants to buy them. They’ll probably loan out until their contracts expire. Previously we have unwanted players with value whilst still collecting fees for loans. It won’t be as simple this time round where the players that are being chased the club wants to keep like Gallagher, Colwill, Broja and potentially Gilmour.

DevilRed

Many of them have seen their values depreciate with mixed to bad loans and personal issues.

At best in current climate we could pull £50 mil from this. No one wants to buy them. They’ll probably loan out until their contracts expire. Previously we have unwanted players with value whilst still collecting fees for loans. It won’t be as simple this time round where the players that are being chased the club wants to keep like Gallagher, Colwill, Broja and potentially Gilmour.
Similar issue to us.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea

To be honest I think the reduction in wages will be just as important as any fees we might get. Drinkwater alone is supposedly on £120k a week (£6.2m a season). I worked out if all the out of contract players are let go and we sell players like Barkley we’d save £30-40m per season. That’s taking into account those on loan who have had some wages covered.

£30-40m saved annually is 10-15% of our wage bill which would go a long way to balancing the profit/loss issues we’ve had.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest I think the reduction in wages will be just as important as any fees we might get. Drinkwater alone is supposedly on £120k a week (£6.2m a season). I worked out if all the out of contract players are let go and we sell players like Barkley we’d save £30-40m per season. That’s taking into account those on loan who have had some wages covered.

£30-40m saved annually is 10-15% of our wage bill which would go a long way to balancing the profit/loss issues we’ve had.
Drinkwater was a weird signing. Didnt understand that one