Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

SER19

A gamble. If pochettino returns with a couple of French titles under his belt would it really add much to his credibility? A tiny bit but those trophies are a given. Had an OK run to a CL final but did get a decent draw in knockouts.

His credentials are unproven

He’s already worked with Thiago Silva and Pulisic, and has the obvious German connection with Werner and Havertz. I’m assuming that played a big part in Chelsea’s thought process. Get things moving quickly whilst they’re still pretty much up there.

Doesn’t always work like that, mind. I still think Allegri was the best manager on the market, and I’m surprised both PSG and Chelsea have opted against him (assuming he was even considered or he didn’t reject either!)
Was he happy for Silva to leave PSG?

croadyman

I just knew they would have a new manager in place by the time we went there in just over a month

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A gamble. If pochettino returns with a couple of French titles under his belt would it really add much to his credibility? A tiny bit but those trophies are a given. Had an OK run to a CL final but did get a decent draw in knockouts.

His credentials are unproven
So a manager can only be proven in the PL?

NinjaFletch

If he steals alot of other people’s work, that would mean he knows alot, but is dishonest about his sources of knowledge.
Oh of course, in the same way you sitting on Twitter 24/7 following transfer tweets would mean you knew a lot too.

Probably wouldn’t make you a journalist though. I don’t really mind Romano turning himself into an aggregator, he’s got a pretty good eye for who has good sources and who doesn’t, but he needs to drop the act he’s getting this info independently.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
An argumentative narcisstic ambitious coach who likes complete control and Roman does not seem a match made in heaven. It will probably catch fire in the short term but unlikely to be a dynasty.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I feel like this guy’s a bit of a myth tbh. Underachieved at both Dortmund and PSG and his ascension seemed mostly based on the fact that he did well at Mainz so inevitably was compared to Klopp.

He’ll be an improvement on Lampard but don’t see him winning a serious trophy at Chelsea.

Infestissumam

Chelsea don't do long term. Will it be a good appointment over a couple of years, that's the real issue.

I have no idea. Don't know anything about Tuchel.
he's a good manager but by all accounts he's quite difficult to work with and frequently clashes with his bosses. If I had to guess, I'd say there'll be first rifts during the summer window, then you'll do quite well next season but still sack him in 22. Might be completely wrong obviously, but that has been his MO so far.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Technically, the thread title is wrong... he's not been confirmed.

Either way, think he'll make Chelsea a better team short term and they'll finish the season strong. Still my favourite for 4th place.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
One thing people need to understand is everything is short term in football now. Do you think anyone at Chelsea thinks Tuchel is there for 5 or 6 years? If he's there for 3 and he wins a league and a cup, he'll have been successful and Chelsea will be happy.

I do worry about this when we win our next league title too. It'll be a 2/3 year cycle if we're lucky, and we'll need to make sure we make as much of that period as possible. Liverpool just had theirs and they were 11mm away from winning 2 titles and a CL.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Interested to see what system and personnel he's going to play.

My guess would be we'll go to some variation of 4 2 3 1.

Our squad has lots of quality, how to make it a team though ?

SuperiorXI

I think he's a really good manager and will do well for Chelsea. Comes at an unfortunate time as he could well get them right back into the mix.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I feel like this guy’s a bit of a myth tbh. Underachieved at both Dortmund and PSG and his ascension seemed mostly based on the fact that he did well at Mainz so inevitably was compared to Klopp.

He’ll be an improvement on Lampard but don’t see him winning a serious trophy at Chelsea.
Underachieved at Dortmund? Considering he overlapped with Pep's Bayern in their pomp, this seems harsh especially as he managed a cup win over them. Also he got PSG to the CL final and won the league at a canter every year - not sure how much more could realistically be expected to say that he underachieved.

RedTiger

Half mast
I feel for Frank, Chelsea should have been a bit more patient. Frank kept Derby in the championship in his first season of management and then guided Chelsea to forth in his second season of management with a ragtag collection of international players.

Very unfair.

passing-wind

Tuchel is an excellent coach and defensively his team's are astute. Don't see why he wouldn't take this Chelsea team to a good success. I think ultimately if he fails his career will begin to dwindle however.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Wow that faster than expected. I would've guessed that Tuchel would wait until summer to train a new team.

I'm looking forward to see what he does with this squad. Their lineup in offense is very good but i feel that the player types don't match that well.

It will also be interesting to see how he will get along with Roman and other powerful people at Chelsea. Tuchel lost his jobs at PSG and Dortmund because of disputes with president/sport director at a time where he couldn't really be blamed for the results of his teams. But you barely hear a bad word from his former players, they mostly seem to like and respect him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The Chelsea board must be bi-polar. They hired Frank because he was a young, up & coming manager who will learn along the way. So the first real wobble he has, they sack him?
Then why hire him to start with?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I have no problems with Tuchel. When the disappointment today subsides, I'm looking forward to what can do with this team with excitement.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The Chelsea board must be bi-polar. They hired Frank because he was a young, up & coming manager who will learn along the way. So the first real wobble he has, they sack him?
Then why hire him to start with?
Because the board needed someone who the fans wouldn't turn on in anticipation of a very difficult season. Lampard is in large part a victim of his own success; finishing 4th unexpectedly last year made expectations far too high too fast for him to meet.

Skills

Snitch
He’s already worked with Thiago Silva and Pulisic, and has the obvious German connection with Werner and Havertz. I’m assuming that played a big part in Chelsea’s thought process. Get things moving quickly whilst they’re still pretty much up there.

Doesn’t always work like that, mind. I still think Allegri was the best manager on the market, and I’m surprised both PSG and Chelsea have opted against him (assuming he was even considered or he didn’t reject either!)
I wouldn't be surprised if he they were thinking of hiring him in the summer - but Lampard getting Top 4 and Tuchel reaching the CL final just made it a lot more awkward. Tuchel seemed like he was on his way out at some points last season at PSG and nobody is really buying the fact that Lampard was anything more than a sub teacher for Chelsea.

SER19

Nowhere, but to rephrase my question, I'm curious as to what you think would qualify a manager to enter the position at Chelsea
I didn't say he's not qualified. All you need to be qualified is your coaching license. I said his credentials are unproven because I don't place much weight on domestic titles in France these days. He may well do well, but he's a gamble and something of an unknown quantity despite being known for a few years

RashyForPM

Interested to see what system and personnel he's going to play.

My guess would be we'll go to some variation of 4 2 3 1.

Our squad has lots of quality, how to make it a team though ?
By waiting. You essentially made a whole new team in the summer. They’re not going to gel right away at any level. Bolton brought in a bunch of Championship players last season to keep them in League One, but they couldn’t gel and Bolton went down. It’s the same for Chelsea, just with expensive players. Tuchel is a higher calibre of coach than Lampard though, so he’ll probably get them to gel quicker.

I think you’ll do this personally:

Mendy
James Rudiger Silva Chilwell
Kante Jorginho
Ziyech Havertz Pulisic
Werner

Get all the Germans in, Silva continues as captain like at PSG, Jorginho becomes a lesser Verratti and Kante does the Marquinhos anchor man role. Hope it fails :D

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

What do you reflect on this @horsechoker?
Wow thats new to me and to be honest quite shocking.
He never was the most likeable guy around but I didn't expect something like this from him.

One of the reasons he fell out with Zorc, Watzke and Rauball at Dortmund was Tuchels behaviour after the attack on the player bus prior to the match against Monaco (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/11/borussia-dortmund-explosion-team-bus if you forgot it). Tuchel seemed really sensitive about the topic and said he doesn't want to play the match just one day later because of what the players had experienced. Zorc, Watzke and Rauball however stated that the match should be played regardless of what has happened.

But well, maybe he only cares that much if it effects his own team?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wow thats new to me and to be honest quite shocking.
He never was the most likeable guy around but I didn't expect something like this from him.

One of the reasons he fell out with Zorc, Watzke and Rauball at Dortmund was Tuchels behaviour after the attack on the player bus prior to the match against Monaco (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/11/borussia-dortmund-explosion-team-bus if you forgot it). Tuchel seemed really sensitive about the topic and said he doesn't want to play the match just one day later because of what the players had experienced. Zorc, Watzke and Rauball however stated that the match should be played regardless of what has happened.

But well, maybe he only cares that much if it effects his own team?
Well, and perhaps one could suggest that players being injured and traumatised by a bomb attack is a far more serious situation than a coach being spoken to in a racially insensitive manner?

Random thought time: if by some miracle he turns them around and they win the league or another competitions, does Lampard get a winner's medal? Considering he managed half their season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
One of the most overrated managers in football. Also, he could start a fight in an empty room.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Random thought time: if by some miracle he turns them around and they win the league or another competitions, does Lampard get a winner's medal? Considering he managed half their season.
I'd expect him to be on the pitch in full kit

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Tuchel is notoriously hard to work with and cannot handle politics. He’s just joined the most political club in the league. Think there‘ll be an upturn in results but the problems are inevitable, the guy is just a bit of a nob.

Robbie Boy

Don't think he's all that tbh. He could turn out to be a Emery level manager. I still expect him to improve Chelsea though. Who knows, they have a strong squad so he might do well.