Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

hubbuh

For a backup striker i don't see what the problem is. His goal record record for us is good, hard to find good centre forwards willing to be backup.
Would he be content with being a backup striker? He could surely be the main man at a number of big clubs. He doesn't stand much of a chance of ever featuring for England if not.

Very excited for Sunday and to see how Ole and Tuchel lineup. We've been utterly useless against big teams this year in the league so it'd be great to finally get a positive result. It's a bit mad that a Chelsea win puts them just 3 points behind us :nervous: . All to play for!

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Would he be content with being a backup striker? He could surely be the main man at a number of big clubs. He doesn't stand much of a chance of ever featuring for England if not.

Very excited for Sunday and to see how Ole and Tuchel lineup. We've been utterly useless against big teams this year in the league so it'd be great to finally get a positive result. It's a bit mad that a Chelsea win puts them just 3 points behind us :nervous: . All to play for!
I know what you are saying but i don't think he's going to a better or bigger club than Chelsea if he were to leave. Maybe he would prefer to be a number one striker and play every week at a lesser club, i remember in the past Wolves wanted him.
Im excited too, will be a tough game. Ole has you really well setup away from home, you haven't lost a league game away from home for a year now proves that. Good test for Tuchel.

hubbuh

I know what you are saying but i don't think he's going to a better or bigger club than Chelsea if he were to leave. Maybe he would prefer to be a number one striker and play every week at a lesser club, i remember in the past Wolves wanted him.
Im excited too, will be a tough game. Ole has you really well setup away from home, you haven't lost a league game away from home for a year now proves that. Good test for Tuchel.
He definitely won't get a bigger club than Chelsea, but yeah he might want to play every game for a Wolves or something like that (potentially Leicester? Doesn't quite fit their style of play, though). Watkins has made a really good account of himself at Villa so I can see the appeal.

Yep, Tuchel has got you riding high so it'll be interesting to see how it goes!! Predictions?

USREDEVIL

Less than one season? Huh?

I was personally disappointed Lampard got sacked, sure. What does that have to do with being happy about the result or performance tonight?
Sorry a bit over a year. I didn't follow that close. Just curious as to how much loyalty his legendary status afforded him and if it divides the fans like it does here. Very similar situation to us with Ole, only you have a more proactive upper management.

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry a bit over a year. I didn't follow that close. Just curious as to how much loyalty he's legendary status afforded him and if it divides the fans like it does here. Very similar situation to us with Ole, only you have a more proactive upper management.
I post at both The Shed End and Talk Chelsea under the same username as here Zaphod2319. It seems to have effected the older fans more. There are some that really wanted Tuchel to fail so Super Frank didn't look bad. They are definitely a minority. A good many felt it was too soon to sack him, but definitely understood...and so did Frank. I think it is a good thing that the vast majority of Chelsea fans do separate Super Frank the club legend player and Frank Lampard the rookie manager that could not learn on the job fast enough. His tactics were lacking and he had no real in game adjustments. It doesn't mean that his club status is diminished. Who know in years to come there could be Super Frank manager V2.0.

Reactions: Cheimoon

USREDEVIL

I post at both The Shed End and Talk Chelsea under the same username as here Zaphod2319. It seems to have effected the older fans more. There are some that really wanted Tuchel to fail so Super Frank didn't look bad. They are definitely a minority. A good many felt it was too soon to sack him, but definitely understood...and so did Frank. I think it is a good thing that the vast majority of Chelsea fans do separate Super Frank the club legend player and Frank Lampard the rookie manager that could not learn on the job fast enough. His tactics were lacking and he had no real in game adjustments. It doesn't mean that his club status is diminished. Who know in years to come there could be Super Frank manager V2.0.
I see. Well that influx of pricey players did him no favors i reckon. I feel that he probably deserved more time to make them gel.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sorry a bit over a year. I didn't follow that close. Just curious as to how much loyalty his legendary status afforded him and if it divides the fans like it does here. Very similar situation to us with Ole, only you have a more proactive upper management.
I think most actual Chelsea fans were sorry to see him go. Doesn't mean I don't want Tuchel to win every game though.

As a Chelsea fan you have to have a bit of a "The king is dead, long live the king" attitude when it comes to managers.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He definitely won't get a bigger club than Chelsea, but yeah he might want to play every game for a Wolves or something like that (potentially Leicester? Doesn't quite fit their style of play, though). Watkins has made a really good account of himself at Villa so I can see the appeal.

Yep, Tuchel has got you riding high so it'll be interesting to see how it goes!! Predictions?
I think il sit on the fence and say 1-1. Your prediction?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I can see the seeds being planted for something good at Chelsea under Tuchel. You can see what he's trying to do and I agree with his assessment that that players are still trying to learn to synchronise, to paraphrase, with eachother. Against Atletico there were a few nearly passes/runs that would have resulted in great chances against a thoroughly packed, experienced defence. If they start hitting those passes then they'll be dangerous in attack too. Werner is actually starting to look a player too.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Hes teaching them to walk before they can run.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, that's better. I think the concern is that the site could get into trouble for that otherwise.

A bit of a puff piece it feels, and something that they would probably gladly write in reverse in a few months if things would go sour. In any case, this bit intrigued me:
There is also no air of superiority around the place. One junior employee was surprised when he held a door open for Tuchel to walk through. The new Chelsea coach replied: “No, no. Why am I first? You’re my colleague. You got there first and should go through.”
In general, are football clubs that hierarchical that, when a tiny underling sees the Big Boss approach, they step back and open doors? (Yes, I exaggerate for effect. :) )

The Firestarter

Yeah, that's better. I think the concern is that the site could get into trouble for that otherwise.

A bit of a puff piece it feels, and something that they would probably gladly write in reverse in a few months if things would go sour. In any case, this bit intrigued me:

In general, are football clubs that hierarchical that, when a tiny underling sees the Big Boss approach, they step back and open doors? (Yes, I exaggerate for effect. :) )
There is only one big boss in Chelsea and it ain't Tuchel : )

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting look into some of Tuchel's training methods of late:

This seems really brilliant - a way to keep players engaged & having fun, have them work on their movement & ability to pivot, and mitigate the risks of overtraining / muscular injury. Also, not sure who the VAR is on Sunday so perhaps this is an ideal way to train for goalmouth situations?

Jam

This seems really brilliant - a way to keep players engaged & having fun, have them work on their movement & ability to pivot, and mitigate the risks of overtraining / muscular injury. Also, not sure who the VAR is on Sunday so perhaps this is an ideal way to train for goalmouth situations?
Love seeing modern coaching techniques and their variations of the game to work on particular skill sets.

Makes me laugh there’s still old fashioned coaching around at the top level that equates to doing long hard runs, gym, dribble around some cones, a 5aside game and a 11 a side game and that’s about the extent of their training regiment.

The Firestarter

Love seeing modern coaching techniques and their variations of the game to work on particular skill sets.

Makes me laugh there’s still old fashioned coaching around at the top level that equates to doing long hard runs, gym, dribble around some cones, a 5aside game and a 11 a side game and that’s about the extent of their training regiment.
You may want to visit Jurassic Park also known as West Brom training grounds.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Makes it all the more ridiculous when there have legitimately been managers in the not-so-recent past who would not allow players to train with the ball ever so that "they would want it more in a match". And this was within the last 12-15 years!

OleGunnar20

That was great thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of fun that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That was great thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of fun that.
Agreed! Also would say that it builds on a pretty well-established concept in American sports regarding overspecialization - there's a lot of evidence now that players (especially young ones) who play other sports in addition to their main one are far less prone to injury. Training that's especially repetitive can cause issues - as such this method in particular seems ideally suited to build on key concepts that are vital for football without overstraining the key muscles / joints and also limiting contact injuries.

OrcaFat

Very much a puff piece.

Giving players a day off as a reward is not new. Making training fun is also not new, I think I even saw players enjoy football training under Mourinho (football is fun, no?).

He couldn’t do much worse than Frank with the squad he has. But, you know, if he had Mbappe and Neymar he would do much better.

I wouldn’t judge him either way until he’s been there a couple of years and (within reason) I hope he does well enough to still be in the job at that time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's always the case. Club hires new manager, the journalist who reports about that club will write a novel about the manager and how awesome he is, what a great human he is. Couple of years down the line, everything goes south and we see articles on how shit the methods are and how manager stopped talking to everyone.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This thread is going to be hilarious when we beat them on Sunday. You just know its in the stars that with the hype Tuchel has garnered during the last month that PE teacher Ole will beat him, again.

Not that I don't rate Tuchel, I rate him very highly, but football has a way of being ironic.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So many people sucking him off just for basic training drills and trying to make out it’s something it’s not. Those drills are done with kids and teams all around the country, hardly revolutionary ffs :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So many people sucking him off just for basic training drills and trying to make out it’s something it’s not. Those drills are done with kids and teams all around the country, hardly revolutionary ffs :lol:
Agreed, I refuse to get excited until he changes the keeper in extra time.

tomaldinho1

Interested to hear how Chelsea fans viewed yesterday's game given how much flak Ole has got from United fans for his setup?

From the outside looking in it's DWWWWWDWD across all comps since he came in which is pretty spectacular and conceded 2 scored 10, which again seems strong.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Interested to hear how Chelsea fans viewed yesterday's game given how much flak Ole has got from United fans for his setup?

From the outside looking in it's DWWWWWDWD across all comps since he came in which is pretty spectacular and conceded 2 scored 10, which again seems strong.
Not happy with how disorganized the players played. The attack is still weak. Happy with the defense and Mendy. There were positives and disappointments. Overall very pleased with Tuchel.

AgentSmith

I thought it was a bizarre choice to go with Ziyech and Mount playing off Giroud given the weakness of our CBs. Werner running off Giroud would’ve made Maguire and Lindelof shit the bed a lot more and challenged our high line.

More generally though I think Tuchel has done a good job and your post illustrates that with the win against Atlético being the highlight so far.

They have similar issues to us in terms of a disjointed squad so it’ll be interesting to see the choices they make come the summer. You know Roman won’t hesitate to back Tuchel unlike the Glazers and Ole.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I thought it was a bizarre choice to go with Ziyech and Mount playing off Giroud given the weakness of our CBs. Werner running off Giroud would’ve made Maguire and Lindelof shit the bed a lot more and challenged our high line.

More generally though I think Tuchel has done a good job and your post illustrates that with the win against Atlético being the highlight so far.

They have similar issues to us in terms of a disjointed squad so it’ll be interesting to see the choices they make come the summer. You know Roman won’t hesitate to back Tuchel unlike the Glazers and Ole.
Maybe Tuchel had specific plans there, but Chelsea also has to manage playing time for their players these weeks. Their schedule from end of February to end of March is tight, with lots of important matches. I think at least to an extent selections will be influenced by that.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ziyech was absolutely horrible, especially in the first half, it has to be said.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I think Tuchel was taken by surprised by how aggressively you were pressing. He probably assumed you'd play in a low block, in which case Ziyech makes perfect sense as someone quite technical in tight spaces between the lines. Given your approach, in retrospect Werner would have been far more dangerous especially in the first half.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Meh, United were there for the taking. Disappointed with the draw, but hard to fault Tuchel because his record so far in terms of wins/losses is very good and despite back to back draws in the league, I still feel we have more momentum than most of the teams around us, including United. Not a terrible result in isolation though.