Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Agreed. I can see why he picked him against a side he thought would play deep but he was pretty shit.
Yeah it's pretty clear that Tuchel expected Utd to sit deep, as did everyone, and then Ziyech and Giroud make sense. I think if Hudson-Odoi hadn't had to come off, the change would have been James for Ziyech and Hudson Odoi to right-sided attacker.
Ziyech's passing was absolutely shocking, always played against the run of teammates or into nowhere, never actually looking or getting in sync with teammates. He was better in the second half though, as was the whole team.

AgentSmith

Maybe Tuchel had specific plans there, but Chelsea also has to manage playing time for their players these weeks. Their schedule from end of February to end of March is tight, with lots of important matches.
Fair point, plus they had a pretty gruelling game earlier last week with two tough upcoming games this week.

@TheMagicFoolBus Also a fair comment on the surprising nature of our approach.

But after 20 minutes it was clear your system wasn’t working offensively and ours was (defensively). Just seemed an obvious sub to make at half time given that fact as well as how awful Ziyech had been. Think he only ended up bringing Werner on with about 10 minutes to go in the end.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ziyech was absolutely horrible, especially in the first half, it has to be said.
He has pretty awful since returning from injury. I don't think he's had a single good performance under Tuchel yet.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair point, plus they had a pretty gruelling game earlier last week with two tough upcoming games this week.

@TheMagicFoolBus Also a fair comment on the surprising nature of our approach.

But after 20 minutes it was clear your system wasn’t working offensively and ours was (defensively). Just seemed an obvious sub to make at half time given that fact as well as how awful Ziyech had been. Think he only ended up bringing Werner on with about 10 minutes to go in the end.
Yeah but I think Tuchel's hands were a bit tied by CHO's minor knock - he described the sub as being partly tactical and partly due to injury. Had CHO been deemed able to continue, I'd have expected Ziyech to come off.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I know its still early days and I understand Tuchel being pragmatic as such but I really thought he'd go for it alittle more with Chelsea.
Abit bland yesterday considering they were the home team. Once Giroud went off they had zero presence in the box.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I was surprised at how many of the chelsea set pieces were played short. Granted Chelsea arent the biggest side, but our defensive frailties at corners etc are obvious. Also thought Mendy looked suspect, the punching of corners/crosses were a surprise.

That aside i think Chelsea looked a good side nad in the main it was a good game between 2 evenly matched teams.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I know its still early days and I understand Tuchel being pragmatic as such but I really thought he'd go for it alittle more with Chelsea.
Abit bland yesterday considering they were the home team. Once Giroud went off they had zero presence in the box.
Tuchel's priority has been to fix our awful team structure and give us a stable platform to build on - the lack of time on the training pitch has also probably hampered him from implementing some of his favoured attacking concepts.

Also, what's going on with Abrahams ?
Much ado about nothing probably. I'd not be surprised if he starts against Liverpool given how high they tend to play. People in Chelsea circles were spazzing out about Alonso and Emerson being on the bench but what they don't realise is Emerson is the first backup at wide CB whilst Alonso is backup at LWB. Meanwhile we had about 4 alternatives on the bench to play centre forward.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel's priority has been to fix our awful team structure and give us a stable platform to build on - the lack of time on the training pitch has also probably hampered him from implementing some of his favoured attacking concepts.

Much ado about nothing probably. I'd not be surprised if he starts against Liverpool given how high they tend to play. People in Chelsea circles were spazzing out about Alonso and Emerson being on the bench but what they don't realise is Emerson is the first backup at wide CB whilst Alonso is backup at LWB. Meanwhile we had about 4 alternatives on the bench to play centre forward.
Honestly, that two LB's on the bench nonsense had me in stitches. It's the same people moaning about the same thing every week.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly, that two LB's on the bench nonsense had me in stitches. It's the same people moaning about the same thing every week.
Saw some twit trying to argue that Reece James could just step in and play wide CB because he's done so previously at youth level. Galaxy brain level stuff, that.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It was said that Tammy picked up a little knock in the last training session.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Saw some twit trying to argue that Reece James could just step in and play wide CB because he's done so previously at youth level. Galaxy brain level stuff, that.
Well he played there for England too recently, didn't he? At least for a portion of a game, and did quite well I seem to remember.

According to Transfermarkt at least Emerson has never played CB as well, and James is much more physically imposing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well he played there for England too recently, didn't he? At least for a portion of a game, and did quite well I seem to remember.

According to Transfermarkt at least Emerson has never played CB as well, and James is much more physically imposing.
Emerson played LCB under Tuchel against Barnsley. Especially given the limited training time, it seems pretty unlikely that players in or around the first XI are being asked to learn multiple positions, so it makes sense to have a backup focus on that role.

I'm not denying that James is an absolute unit who probably could play CB in a pinch, I just would rather have a backup who's focused solely on that role as cover. Especially in a massive game - to me it'd be shortsighted to just throw James in there and hope for the best.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There is a section of the fanbase who still aren't over the fact that Lampard was let go, and despite that having nothing to do with Tuchel, he's the one they're intent on taking it out on. I'm noticing this really strange micro-analysis of every single decision he makes.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
There is a section of the fanbase who still aren't over the fact that Lampard was let go, and despite that having nothing to do with Tuchel, he's the one they're intent on taking it out on. I'm noticing this really strange micro-analysis of every single decision he makes.
yeh this obsession on social media to criticise every Tuchel decision they dont agree with by comparing him to Lampard is nauseating. Anyone with half a brain can see Tuchel is the superior of the 2 when it comes to tactics and in game management. By all accounts Lampard's man management was woeful, too

I love Lampard, but hes not in Tuchels league

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Also, what's going on with Abrahams ?
ankle knock supposedly. But tbf, i dont think hes good enough for us to start if we want to win the league. Good squad player, however. But I can actually see him leaving this summer

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
yeh this obsession on social media to criticise every Tuchel decision they dont agree with by comparing him to Lampard is nauseating. Anyone with half a brain can see Tuchel is the superior of the 2 when it comes to tactics and in game management. By all accounts Lampard's man management was woeful, too

I love Lampard, but hes not in Tuchels league
On the Shed End there's a handful of posters who genuinely believe nothing's changed and Lampard would have got the same results bar Atletico.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
On the Shed End there's a handful of posters who genuinely believe nothing's changed and Lampard would have got the same results bar Atletico.
When those pop up, I just keep scrolling. Honestly I think Twitter is full of mentally challenged people. I dare not click on the comments about anything Chelsea related. They think of themselves as Chelsea fans too. It is bizarre.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
ankle knock supposedly. But tbf, i dont think hes good enough for us to start if we want to win the league. Good squad player, however. But I can actually see him leaving this summer
You should get a good price for him. 20 million or more if you're lucky.

Kag

He’s got a job on his hands with this Chelsea lot. I can’t recall seeing a squad as full of so many technically sound players, who also seem to be really good at not doing anything at all. Jorginho, Havertz, Ziyech, even Pulisic, to be honest. Kovacic is the absolute worst every time I see him. Twisting and turning; he might as well take part in Dancing on Ice.

Mount, to be fair to him, is the only player they have in attacking areas who displays any sort of cutting edge or willingness to directly affect the game. They need more of that. A lot more.

Chelsea look a lot more balanced than they did under Lampard but goals could well be an issue unless they bring in a couple of forward who can really put up the numbers.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
When those pop up, I just keep scrolling. Honestly I think Twitter is full of mentally challenged people. I dare not click on the comments about anything Chelsea related. They think of themselves as Chelsea fans too. It is bizarre.
For me it's the opposite and i challenge.

I know many are so far gone on this subject but I can't help myself some of the stuff being said is utterly mind blowing.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
At this point the best version of this Chelsea would be:

Kepa; Chilwell, Rudiger, Thiago Silva, Reece James; Kante, Kovacic, Mount; Werner, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi

I know that the Kepa theme is controversial, but I think that if we recovering Kepa psychologically he is much better than Mendy, who has been a little lost lately too.

It is the coach's job to also fit key pieces and expensive investments like Havertz and Ziyech that have been tremendous disappointments so far.

This scheme of 3 central defenders does not fit at all with the squad that exists, using Jorginho and [Irrelevant point] is simply stupid and a waste of time, but I think that he will insist on this until the end of the season. And I believe that his journey will end there, unfortunately.

Playing as we are, the other clubs need to do things very badly, so that we have a place in the top 4.

I believe he knew very little or nothing about this squad shows very little courage, is trying to be everyone's friend and conservative, and that's not what we need.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This needs to be improved for both teams

Obviously true, although Chelsea's average has a clear pre/post manager change side to it*. So at least the momentum is right. Still, two games don't say an awful lot, and I'm looking forward to the game at Anfield to see more.

* 0.4 ppg for Lampard (0-2-3; worse if you add Leicester), 2 ppg so far for Tuchel (1-1-0).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I know that the Kepa theme is controversial, but I think that if we recovering Kepa psychologically he is much better than Mendy, who has been a little lost lately too.
I keep hearing that Mendy "ain't that good" yet he keeps on keeping clean sheets.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I have a feeling if Kepa was in Sunday, one of Mendy’s 4 saves would have went in. It is more than just his keeper skills. He is very vocal back there and keeps defenders knowing where to be.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Watching them on Sunday, I instantly thought of us under LVG

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I have a feeling if Kepa was in Sunday, one of Mendy’s 4 saves would have went in. It is more than just his keeper skills. He is very vocal back there and keeps defenders knowing where to be.
Without a doubt, that shot from McTomimay (I think) just inside the box would be an almost certain goal.

There's also some long shots that Mendy gobbles up/saves comfortably that I feel fly in on Kepa's watch and are made to look unsavable.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's Mourinho v2.0. The low block has become the high block. Lots of pressing and no shots. 'Coaching' wins - football dies.
Knee jerk much? He's taken over Chelsea mid-season under quite a bit of pressure for short term results, so he started out pragmatic, gave his team a defensively solid foundation to get some stability right away that will afford him the breathing room to gradually implement his philosophy.
The guy revers Guardiola, his goal per game average at both PSG and Dortmund was higher than say Klopp's and significantly higher than Solskjaer's. It should take more than 9 games for people to claim he's "boring" now.

man united 4eva

Tuchel lived up to his reputation of acting like a rabid weasel on Sunday... The way he was sniping and gesturing to the point of foaming at the mouth behind Ole's back over the penalty claim incident.. The German version of Mr. Magoo who vociferously claimed it was Greenwood who'd handled the ball and not Hudson-Odoi.

tomaldinho1

Tuchel lived up to his reputation of acting like a rabid weasel on Sunday... The way he was sniping and gesturing to the point of foaming at the mouth behind Ole's back over the penalty claim incident.. The German version of Mr. Magoo who vociferously claimed it was Greenwood who'd handled the ball and not Hudson-Odoi.
Ah, a Daily Mail writer appears!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Knee jerk much? He's taken over Chelsea mid-season under quite a bit of pressure for short term results, so he started out pragmatic, gave his team a defensively solid foundation to get some stability right away that will afford him the breathing room to gradually implement his philosophy.
The guy revers Guardiola, his goal per game average at both PSG and Dortmund was higher than say Klopp's and significantly higher than Solskjaer's. It should take more than 9 games for people to claim he's "boring" now.
Some people also think Guardiola is boring. I believe many fans simply want a return to the more improvised days of football when the game was simpler and more indivdualistic. I get that point to some extent although I think nostalgia plays a huge role in it. However, modern football is much more entertaining when you enjoy the little details. How high the opponent presses, how the players position themselves across the pitch, how they free themselves from tight situations, which runs they make, etc. The focus has shifted away from highlights and games are often decided in the center of the pitch and not in the boxes. I enjoy it but I also get people who prefer the simpler and "rawer" version of the game that took place before ~2008/09.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
So many rightly said people shouldn't read to much into the first succesful Chelsea results under Tuchel. But at the same time people also already judge Chelsea's style and compare it to Van Gaal and boring :D.

I think he already established some solid structure and defensive stability, a really good basis. It is also not easy to change the complete attack in a short amount of time. They have many young and talented attacking players, but nobody who decides games by himself yet.

I think he did a great job at PSG which had a real good mix of pressing and balance between attack and defence. His philosophie is anything but close to Van Gaals or Mourinho ( both also really different from each other) ?!?!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Stop shouting!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
TUCHEL WAS A DIFFICULT PERSONALITY

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some people also think Guardiola is boring. I believe many fans simply want a return to the more improvised days of football when the game was simpler and more indivdualistic. I get that point to some extent although I think nostalgia plays a huge role in it. However, modern football is much more entertaining when you enjoy the little details. How high the opponent presses, how the players position themselves across the pitch, how they free themselves from tight situations, which runs they make, etc. The focus has shifted away from highlights and games are often decided in the center of the pitch and not in the boxes. I enjoy it but I also get people who prefer the simpler and "rawer" version of the game that took place before ~2008/09.
:lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Possession football is incredibly boring to be honest. It’s all proven to be the most effective method in football when done well though so what can you do.