Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
What do you even mean here? "but now it's back to ignoring the oligarch's mercenaries"
So idiotic comment really
Some people are in a forever loop that Roman is ruining the league by purchasing talent. The team they support never bring in players, they only develop their own players at their Academies.
Chelsea might be up there with the most academy players starting.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Some people are in a forever loop that Roman is ruining the league by purchasing talent. The team they support never bring in players, they only develop their own players at their Academies.
Chelsea might be up there with the most academy players starting.
And by coincidence it always happens to be the fans of clubs that have parasite/penny pinching owners that are upset by his presence.

They do stop short of trying to convince themselves that they prefer being owned by Glazers/Kroenke/ENIC etc which is a shame in a way, the sheer level of mental gymnastics would have been something else.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Interesting concerning the disallowed Werner goal
Puzzling since his armpit was on rather clearly on while the line seemed to have been drawn from his elbow or lower arm..
and quite generally how do you determine the end of a 'pit'?!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
To be honest, I don't see which players he should bring in. This squad is almost tailored for Tuchel already. Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Havertz, Hudson-Odoi and to a lesser extent even Werner are brillant for him. Pulisic, too.

Maybe he needs a defender or two, especially if Silva regresses but especially attack and midfield look already on point. At least the first names on the team sheet. They could go for a world class signing (Sancho I suppose) and/or optimize the second row. Sell Abraham and Kanté, etc. and replace them with Tuchel type of players. This could become a really terrific team if they do land Sancho.
Their midfield and wingers are the 2nd best in the Prem, with particular strength in the middle with Mount, Kovacic, Kante, Havertz and Jorginho. Wingers they are also pretty much set for a while with CHO, Ziyech, Pulisic and maybe Werner.

A proper striker does look a weakness in their team, someone to lead the line and be the main responsibility for goals. They have spread goals well this season and shows they might not need a No. 9 to be successful, Havertz hasn't played a lot recently but he has definitely shown and ability to score 10+ goals a season himself.

CB is a worry, Thiago won't be a high level much longer and Rudiger, Zouma and Christensen are all good support center backs, but not good enough to be the best.

They should spend big on a world class CB and maybe push for a striker.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Arteta has toyed with Ole on head to heads.

Ole is unbeaten against Ancelotti.

Lampard handed Ancelotti his heaviest ever league defeat and became the first manager to do the double on Mourinho.

Martin O Neil never lost a league match vs Mourinho.

Pep has never beaten Di Matteo.

Fergie had a poor record against the majority of Chelsea manager's he faced.

Direct head to head records mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things (even less so a one off match), good for banter but that's about it.
He has a poor record against Mourinho. Against who else? It’s hard to keep track on the ever increasing number of managers you have been hiring so genuine curious who I am forgetting.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
To be fair, SAF had his lowest win percentage against us of any opponent (35%).
Well yeah Chelsea have mostly been a tricky opponent for us. You probably had a similar win percentage over us and the rest must have been draws. But the question remains. Which other Chelsea manager had a better record against SAF?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Well yeah Chelsea have mostly been a tricky opponent for us. You probably had a similar win percentage over us and the rest must have been draws. But the question remains. Which other Chelsea manager had a better record against SAF?
Iirc carlo won 3/4 in the league against you.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed personally. Sule hasn't looked great since his knee injury, for me.
Yeah I think we've reached the pont where we no longer need to spend big sums on good decent players who can compliment the team but don't actually elevate the team. We can draw from the academy for those players and save our money for elite game-changers.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I think we've reached the pont where we no longer need to spend big sums on good decent players who can compliment the team but don't actually elevate the team. We can draw from the academy for those players and save our money for elite game-changers.
It boggles my mind that we've let Tomori go. Naturally he's only gone and displaced AC Milan's captain. Fingers crossed he wants to prove himself at Chelsea but after the way he was treated he can hardly be blamed for pursuing other options.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It boggles my mind that we've let Tomori go. Naturally he's only gone and displaced AC Milan's captain. Fingers crossed he wants to prove himself at Chelsea but after the way he was treated he can hardly be blamed for pursuing other options.
I'd hope he'd look at it and see that there's a whole new coaching staff in place, new opportunity. I think it also depends on how he truly performs the rest of the season. When Courtois came back, he came back knowing he was at least on par with Cech and that he could beat him out in a straight fight [he resorted to public pressure in the end to be given the shirt but still]. I hope Tomori comes back with the same confidence and arrogance that cannot be ignored

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

With Lampard in charge Chelsea had a soul. The first time in ages they were interesting.

Tuchel is a better manager, sure, but now it’s back to ignoring the oligarch’s mercenaries.
I don’t even know what this means.

copen1945

With Lampard in charge Chelsea had a soul. The first time in ages they were interesting.

Tuchel is a better manager, sure, but now it’s back to ignoring the oligarch’s mercenaries.
Lampard's passion seemed genuine. His football left much to be desired, and the DNA experiment came to a necessary end. Chelsea now have the players and the right coaching.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Odd take....

Maybe they were more interesting because they were more chaotic, as Lampard clearly had no idea what he was doing?

The assumption that top players will become top managers goes on and on. It rarely works

arthurka

I love the short memories on here. This is a manager Ole dumped out of Europe with a bunch of kids and 10 senior players injured a few yrs ago and also beat them again this season in Paris.

We could have hired Tuchel at start of the season and I don't think we'd be any higher than 2nd in league. And his football so far at Chelsea has been pretty dull too so you can't even make a case for better football.
He fixed a leaky defence and made them stop conceding 3 every single game. Ole is in his 3 year now and has still not found the balance between attacking and defending. Tuchel will have them scoring and defending in less time than that.

Ole is lucky because all the teams bar City have been poor. Ole has failed the test when it mattered the most. All the semis, terrible Vs the top 6 and generally been bailed out by an in form player. But since having a sniff at the top our form has nose dived.

Tuchel will have his team playing better football than Ole and they will finish above us next season for sure, if he won't manage it this season which I am fairly sure they will.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
11 games, 8 wins, 3 draws.
13 goals scored, 2 goals conceded.

I still think that the results have been better than the exhibitions but the conservative style has worked.

The team is still struggling to score goals, the case of Werner is worrying, the ball does not enter in any way.

But he is rotating players, he has one of the best squads for that, under normal conditions he will win the right to build the next season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There was a rumour albeit likely a shit source that Jerome Boateng was coming in
I'd take both over Rüdiger if they stay injury free. A fit Boateng is a special player and outstanding CB. It would be great if he could prove his class outside of Munich, IMO.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'd take both over Rüdiger if they stay injury free. A fit Boateng is a special player and outstanding CB. It would be great if he could prove his class outside of Munich, IMO.
Don't think either would be a good fit as a wide CB (Boateng more so than Sule, tbf).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Would be great if he could prove his class and specialness elsewhere, and not at Chelsea :)

If we're buying a new CB, I'd hope being better than Rudiger isn't the criteria they're going for.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Don't think either would be a good fit as a wide CB (Boateng more so than Sule, tbf).
Boateng was a capable RB before permanently moving to the center, so in terms of player type it would be fine. But that was when his pace and athleticism was still there, now he's long finished at elite level and frequently injured. Chelsea should go for a young defender.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Boateng was a capable RB before permanently moving to the center, so in terms of player type it would be fine. But that was when his pace and athleticism was still there, now he's long finished at elite level and frequently injured. Chelsea should go for a young defender.
Yeah if he were 6 years younger I'd say he'd be very capable there, especially given how good he is on the ball. At this point though I'd be skeptical. I'd much rather bring back Tomori, personally.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We have several good young CB [or at a good age] already - Christensen 24, Zouma 26, Tomori 23 Guehi 20 - so I would actually not be opposed to an experienced CB in his prime. Varane, for example, ticks all the boxes for me.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Would be great if he could prove his class and specialness elsewhere, and not at Chelsea :)

If we're buying a new CB, I'd hope being better than Rudiger isn't the criteria they're going for.
It might not make sense given you just signed Thiago Silva but I still don't really get the malice towards Boateng. He's a starter for the reigning CL winner and was one of the best CBs in the world last season and the perfect player for Tuchel's system. He is not as good as he used to be in his prime but if he was the whole world would be after him.

Anyway,I'm curious who you'll eventually going to get. I don't think there are many young CBs around who would immediately improve your first eleven.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It might not make sense given you just signed Thiago Silva but I still don't really get the malice towards Boateng. He's a starter for the reigning CL winner and was one of the best CBs in the world last season and the perfect player for Tuchel's system. He is not as good as he used to be in his prime but if he was the whole world would be after him.

Anyway,I'm curious who you'll eventually going to get. I don't think there are many young CBs around who would immediately improve your first eleven.
There is no malice on my part. He still plays at a decent level, but I'd probably want a CB I wouldn't need to replace within 12-24 months. If we don't re-sign Silva, I could maybe entertain this rumour a little more, but even then, he still wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my wish list.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I think the best solution for everyone involved would be if Boateng stays another year or two at Bayern before going to MLS, and Chelsea turn to Thilo Kehrer instead.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yet he starts every game for us...
Right, checked it, my bad. My impression was that his niggling fitness issues from past seasons went on, but paying less attention to Bayern's daily business backfired here.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel's start has been nothing short of fantastic but we've been here before, it's like groundhog day for the club. What i really want to see is us get to the next level and to do that we have to clear out and get those one or two world class players.

Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater, Moses, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Emerson, Tomori, Batshuayi, Kepa all have to go. There is probably another 5-6 to add to that out on loan plus players like Giroud or Abraham who may leave if we are signing replacements.

All in all it's time to get rid of quantity and make room for quality

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
We have several good young CB [or at a good age] already - Christensen 24, Zouma 26, Tomori 23 Guehi 20 - so I would actually not be opposed to an experienced CB in his prime. Varane, for example, ticks all the boxes for me.
My thinking was that Thiago Silva and Azpilicueta are regulars this season and may well be next season. Then there'll be the choice between Christensen/Rüdiger/Zouma, all in their mid/late 20s. So I guess if someone is brought in/back, there's room for a next generation CB. But a top player in his prime always makes sense, of course.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
All in all it's time to get rid of quantity and make room for quality
Why? The loan army has been very successful for us, both in terms of brining in extra money and also developing the likes of Mount/Christensen/Zouma/Tammy/James.

Of course not every loan is a winner but we've benefited from it hugely overall.

I don't see any benefit to the sort of huge exodus of fringe/loan players as you suggest.