Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lovely analysis and no wonder the big teams are struggling to deal with Chelsea right now given how fluid yet systematic they are in defence.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think what impresses me about this Tuchel team, is what impressed me about Klopp & Pep's teams. You can have all the nice coaching in the world, but the most important things is that you have a plan & way of playing & are committed to that, & most importantly that the players actually buy into that fully.

It's never been really their work on the ball that's impressed me most, it's their aggression, their work rate & their desire without the ball, that makes all the work with the ball that bit easier. That's exactly what I'm seeing from Chelsea just now. Brave, front food defending, commitment to press, to harass opposition, & to win that ball back. Then individual quality can come through.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Think what impresses me about this Tuchel team, is what impressed me about Klopp & Pep's teams. You can have all the nice coaching in the world, but the most important things is that you have a plan & way of playing & are committed to that, & most importantly that the players actually buy into that fully.

It's never been really their work on the ball that's impressed me most, it's their aggression, their work rate & their desire without the ball, that makes all the work with the ball that bit easier. That's exactly what I'm seeing from Chelsea just now. Brave, front food defending, commitment to press, to harass opposition, & to win that ball back. Then individual quality can come through.
It's also interesting to see the team doesn't seem to skip a beat no matter how much Tuchel rotates them in and out. Those two full backs were who dropping back like clockwork when Rudiger goes pressing up high aren't always first team regulars, Alonso even less so than James.

We can be susceptible to the ball in behind, because it does create those one on one's in wide open space but Tuchel has the team squeezing so far up the pitch it, at times, resembles a half-pitch training drill, so the space isn't always there for someone to look up and see the run by their forward.

Some extended bits on the above video

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's also interesting to see the team doesn't seem to skip a beat no matter how much Tuchel rotates them in and out. Those two full backs were who dropping back like clockwork when Rudiger goes pressing up high aren't always first team regulars, Alonso even less so than James.

We can be susceptible to the ball in behind, because it does create those one on one's in wide open space but Tuchel has the team squeezing so far up the pitch it, at times, resembles a half-pitch training drill, so the space isn't always there for someone to look up and see the run by their forward.

Some extended bits on the above video

Your always going to find weakness in every system, the main thing is the positives far outweigh the negatives, & as long as you have the courage of your convictions players understand roles, results improve & they buy into it more.

Of course, it's proved difficult for even the best managers & teams to implement over a longer term, but Chelsea are the club that needs to worry least about this.

FatTails

It’s really incredible how quickly he got them to play in such a way, which is a big departure of what they were like under Lampard, midseason, in a packed season no less, with no transfers, no preseason, and not much time for training really. He’s also extremely likeable compared to his compatriot in merseyside.

They scored 33 goals and conceded 23 in the first 19 PL games under Lampard. In 16 games under Tuchel, they’ve scored 22 goals and conceded 9. Their scoring went from 1.74 per game to 1.38 (-0.36) but defensively, they went from conceding 1.21 a game to 0.56 (-0.65). The latter could’ve been a lot better if it wasn’t for the anomalous result against West Brom, and their xG is much higher than their goals for (they’re creating a lot of great chances and not finishing them). Considering Lampard was in his second season and had a preseason with his players, that’s an incredible improvement.

This is an excellent team in the making and I expect them to be City’s main challengers for the title next season, unless Liverpool or United have ridiculously good transfer windows.

Reactions: Cheimoon

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He is going to be challenging next season.
Hopefully! It’s scary to think, if things continue next season, all we need to do is put our chances away and then we could be winning 3/4 - 0 in a lot of games. Now West Brom are down we won’t have to worry about a repeat of that horror show.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He is going to be challenging next season.
Challenge for title next season is not easy. City ofcourse will get a super striker next season.

United will not stand still especially ole found rhythm with his players and grinding results from losing positions so many times this season.

Liverpool will get back their injured players to play their pressing game which made them swept the title last season.

Surely next title winner whoever is should be relentless in winning games and tactically sound. With fans coming back to stadium one superb season awaits.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Tuchel has proven his managerial prowess but he needs to see out both trophies to be in close contention next season. Pep, Clopp and Ole , to a lesser degree,will be back and challenging.

The season is far from over and although unlikely Chelsea could end up with nothing. If they lose to the Gooners tonight and MUFC lose to Liverpool, top 4 is still in the mix.

Chelsea still have it all within thier control and perhaps the best squad in Europe so Tuchel just needs to keep rotating sensibly and it could prove to a season to remember.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Challenge for title next season is not easy. City ofcourse will get a super striker next season.

United will not stand still especially ole found rhythm with his players and grinding results from losing positions so many times this season.

Liverpool will get back their injured players to play their pressing game which made them swept the title last season.

Surely next title winner whoever is should be relentless in winning games and tactically sound. With fans coming back to stadium one superb season awaits.
How many times have we heard this though? I remember 16/17 (to name one example) was suppose to be a season of a multiple teams challenging but in reality was we and Conte made the league look easy.

On paper there's a juicy four way title race on the horizon, in reality it will be a two horse race at best.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How many times have we heard this though? I remember 16/17 (to name one example) was suppose to be a season of a multiple teams challenging but in reality was we and Conte made the league look easy.

On paper there's a juicy four way title race on the horizon, in reality it will be a two horse race at best.
It will be really important for these teams to hit the ground running next season to have a chance of winning the title. It will be a tougher race than this year, where everyone started a bit slow.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It will be really important for these teams to hit the ground running next season to have a chance of winning the title. It will be a tougher race than this year, where everyone started a bit slow.
It just seems inevitable that whoever signs Hartland will be favourites.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Haaland will likely stay at Dortmund till his clause. Financially deal looks very difficult for any team this year. Much to the disappointment of Riola..., agent fees will be capped after this year?

Can't be taking Arsenal lightly meanwhile tonight. Hopefully all thoughts of the cup are put to the side and we go out and play 100%.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It just seems inevitable that whoever signs Hartland will be favourites.
I don't really think that Haaland is needed to make a team favourites. As I see it the situation for them regarding Haaland is this:
- City is scoring a lot of goals already and do not need him to improve in that regard
- Chelsea is missing a lot of chances but seem to become more and more dominant - they could well be scoring loads of goals next season with the same attacking players, if they just use the talent they obviously have
- United might need a new striker depending on how fit Cavani stays next year, but in his late form a new striker is not a high priority for United
- Liverpool are a mess at the moment, Haaland could improve them definitely

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Haaland will likely stay at Dortmund till his clause. Financially deal looks very difficult for any team this year. Much to the disappointment of Riola..., agent fees will be capped after this year?

Can't be taking Arsenal lightly meanwhile tonight. Hopefully all thoughts of the cup are put to the side and we go out and play 100%.
Don't worry about us. Could probably do a Utd and rest 10 or 11 and still likely beat us.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't worry about us. Could probably do a Utd and rest 10 or 11 and still likely beat us.
Just look at the cup final last year... Would be a big mistake to take the game lightly. Arsenal will game raise tonight, no doubt in my mind about that.

Looking at rotation it seems to me Tuchel was always planning to put our 100% full strength team tonight. Probably not expecting the result on Saturday. Shouldn't change anything though.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel is in such a great place as far as his focus on the end of the season.

“Transfer periods can be real mood-breakers between moods and clubs and I don’t want to have this ever again," Tuchel explained ahead of tonight's game against Arsenal.

"The circumstances [of taking charge mid-season] had something of a simplicity. It was very tough to leave my family for this period of time but it meant a huge simplicity to my life here as a coach. It’s been only, only about coaching this team.

"No second thoughts about bringing someone in or letting someone go, it was crystal clear to step in and do what is needed and do what we do best: coaching."

He continued: “I have zero ambition to ruin this atmosphere. I want it for myself, not for anybody else. Do we have some ideas on how to improve the squad? Yes, we do. Will we fight about it? No, we won’t. We will discuss things.

"First of all, we will finish the season because it’s not time to reflect now. I embrace the simplicity and hope we can continue to live like this on the job because it’s fun, very exciting, very pure.

"There are big challenges and big games constantly coming. This is what we love."

Nero

Lost count of the times I've watched Chelsea play utter dross under him.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
So breaking the bank for Kane? :lol:

Dortmund has confirmed Haaland will stay, Bayern also confirmed Lewy will stay.
levy will never sell to us
haaland has his price
offer a player on top if needs be
too many times we miss chances or we feck around up front or have poor finishing
yes their goal was a feck up but our defence cant be perfect 24/7

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Im not 100% I want it but if Chelsea fall out of top 4 and not win the CL, I think we might have an easier title challenge next year because I think Liverpool are past their prime,

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
levy will never sell to us
haaland has his price
offer a player on top if needs be
too many times we miss chances or we feck around up front or have poor finishing
yes their goal was a feck up but our defence cant be perfect 24/7
:lol: You will need Kane's money to convince Dortmund to sell this summer minimum. If they were so persistent with 120m euro with Sancho last summer, I expect much more for Haaland this summer.

Redfrog

Where is the guy who tried to persuade me Chelsea is playing wonderful football and that I will wet myself if Tuchel was United manager ?

Djemba-Djemba

I suppose that is the danger for them if they do go behind.

I know they came from behind against City but if you did manage to score first against this Chelsea you'd fancy your chances of beating them.

They really lack firepower.

cyberman

Lost count of the times I've watched Chelsea play utter dross under him.
Their all conquering league form is hilariously overrated. 7 wins out of last 12 league games. Not bad, but not earth shattering. Cant get close to City with that.

Jacob

Im not 100% I want it but if Chelsea fall out of top 4 and not win the CL, I think we might have an easier title challenge next year because I think Liverpool are past their prime,
What does one thing have to do with the other?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Where is the guy who tried to persuade me Chelsea is playing wonderful football and that I will wet myself if Tuchel was United manager ?
You can find the guy in Ole's thread. He's always there, every page. :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The best you can take from this is the players are completely focused on Saturday and play hungry. A bump in the road before a big match is not the worst thing that can happen.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Their all conquering league form is hilariously overrated. 7 wins out of last 12 league games. Not bad, but not earth shattering. Cant get close to City with that.
Think it's 6 wins in the last 12, same as Arsenal.

Redfrog

You can find the guy in Ole's thread. He's always there, every page. :lol:
He wants Ole to fall ? But Ole is still standing while the world is crumbling. He is doing his work calmly like a silent guardian. He is the red knight.
Thomas just fecked off from Paris and is just having a nice ride in London. It won’t last…

phenry

As teams learn Chelseas patterns of play they will find ways to adapt and counter them. That's when we'll see the measure of Tuchel.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What does one thing have to do with the other?
City are going to be title challengers anyway simply because of the amount of players they have and their manager.

If chelsea drop out of the top 4, lose the final and dont make next years CL then that would be good as they would struggle to get some good players that might have them challening for the title too.

Liverpool are not going to do it anymore and with them in the CL positions they can have some players join a past it version of Klopp than a potentially new version of Tuchels team that needs certain players.

Again, Im not saying that I want this because City are our Rival, but still it did come in to my mind about next year and it potentially helping us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As teams learn Chelseas patterns of play they will find ways to adapt and counter them. That's when we'll see the measure of Tuchel.
We are profligate. We created enough chances to win the game and gave up very few scoring opportunities, same as most games, we conceded from a hilarious misunderstanding. Arsenal were neither threatening in attack nor that solid defensively. We should really have won that game.